Previously…

Buffy looked between her ex-lovers, first at the blue eyes that had haunted her dreams and then to the brown that seeped deep into her soul despite her reproach of the younger woman.

“Spike…”

***
“Buffy, luv? Do you want me to stay or go?” Spike’s blue eyes bored into hers as he gently traced circles into her palm.

Buffy paused as she watched Whistler from the corner of her eye. He was hopping behind Spike and pointing at the young man with an anxious look in his beady brown eyes.

“Spike…I need to…” She was interrupted again by Whistler jumping around and glaring at her. He waved his arms manically to catch her attention before she said anything damaging to her soul. His instincts told him this was going to be a life-altering decision and he really didn’t want to have to pay up to Lucifer’s bodyguard. The red bodybuilder was one scary demon.

“C’mon, I know you aren’t dense enough to choose the girl. Little bitch caused enough problems for you before. Please tell me you aren’t as daft as to walk right back into her arms again. Look at William, look at him!” Whistler paused until Buffy looked towards Spike. “Do you really want to go to hell ‘cause I can take you down for a little visit right now?” He crossed the room in several quick strides on his short legs and grabbed her hand. “Hold on tight ‘cause once we’re down there…well, you’re technically going to be in a coma up here. Can’t do anything about that but I won’t let you die…” He shook his head slowly and muttered, “Hopefully.”

She didn’t have time to respond before they were zinging through space and time. The walls of the hospital seemed to disappear and soon they were zipping down through the dirt and earth’s crust until they reached a long hallway.

She doubled over as her last lunch seemed to want to make reappearance. As she did so, she noticed that her clothes were back to what she’d been wearing the day of the accident instead of the hospital issued gown. “What the hell? Am I dead again? I cannot be dead again…seriously, not again. I will kill you if you killed me...”

“Not quite hell yet, Princess, but soon enough and as I explained earlier, you’re in a coma up there. Just for a few minutes though. I don’t have enough power to stop time completely and it takes too long to petition the big guy on simple matters. The angels like to bicker…knew he shouldn’t have formed an Angel’s council, more trouble than they’re worth but with ol’ Lucy stuck down here…nothing much for them to do up there.” He pointed towards a door at the end of the long hallway. “That’s the entrance to hell…”

That’s the entrance to hell?” She glanced down at the plain-looking wooden door. “Where’s the plaque warning all ye who enter and all that?”

“You humans watch too many damn movies. It’s not all fire and brimstone down here, I’ll have you know. It’s much more than that, Princess. What’s behind that door is most men’s worst nightmare…should be yours too if you weren’t the devils spawn…”

Her eyes narrowed as she briefly considered whether choking the little demon would be considered a sin, after all he wasn’t completely human and really annoying. “Hey! I resent that!”

“Jury is still out on that one but I’ve got a bet running.” He took her hand again and led her closer to the door. “Stay with me at all times. I’m your only way out from there and unless you want to spend the rest of eternity in hell away from your destiny…just stay with me.” He shut his mouth to prevent himself from revealing her purpose too soon.

He knocked on the door three times before they were granted admittance by an intimidating looking blue demon.

“That one is still alive, not much feeling in it though.” The blue demon spoke slowly as he poked Buffy’s shoulder with one long talon. She instinctively rocked back onto her heels to prevent her from falling as the demon circled her.

“Just here for a visit, Judge. She’s not ready yet, not for you.” Whistler tugged her closer to him when he saw the glint in the other demon’s eyes. The Judge was known for feeding off of humanity in hell’s occupants. The giant demon would leave its victims with no emotions except the recognition of pain and torture. There was no hope after the Judge had gotten a hold of its next victim.

“Go through.” The demon glided back to its resting place behind the wooden door as it swung shut behind them.

“What the hell was that thing?” Buffy shuddered once they’d gotten out of earshot of the blue demon.

“That would be hell, itself. The Judge feeds on humanity and since he was interested in you…well, lucky you, you still have a bit of humanity in you. He just confirmed that you can experience emotions.” Whistler continued to tug her down the dark tunnel until; finally, she could see a dim light a couple of yards away. “Be thankful he didn’t show you the future…”

“I-I don’t want to go any further, Whistler. That dude freaked me out enough.” Her shoulders shook as the residual energy from the blue demon took a hold of her soul. “All I can see is pain. I-I don’t want to hurt him…not like that.” Her hands shot out to grasp the bottom of his shirt. “Don’t let me hurt William like that. He can’t die because of me. Too much blood, too much…”

“Damn it! Yeah, we’ll go back Princess. Told him not to do that to you.” Whistler pulled her to her feet and dragged her back to the door, glaring at the Judge as they passed. “You weren’t supposed to show her that.” He poked the taller demon in the chest.

“She desired it. I showed her the worst outcome and now her soul can decide for her. You brought her.” The Judge disappeared from view again.

20 minutes later

“She’s waking up again!” Spike rammed his way through the huddle of doctors and nurses as Buffy’s hand twitched ever so slightly. “She’s back!”

“Spike? I…I, where’s Faith?” She sat bolt upright as she took in her surroundings, surprising the Dr. Stevenson back a couple of steps.

“Ms. Summers, you gave us quite a scare there.”

“Don’t care. I’m fine now so where’s Faith?” Buffy brushed the doctor off as she scanned the room for the brunette woman. “I have to talk to Faith…Now!”

Spike’s features went blank. She did it. She actually chose that slut over me. “I’ll, uh, I’ll just leave ‘n you don’t have to see me again. I can take a hint. Have a good life, luv.” He went to stand when her hand shot out to hold him in place.

“Don’t even think about leaving. I’m not done talking to you yet. I need to talk to Faith really quick but then I want to finish our conversation from before.”

Faith edged her way to the crowded bed when she heard her name, “You needed to see me, B?”