The room was silent for split second before it seemed that everyone started talking at once, leaving Buffy in the lurch as she clung to her mother, ignored her doctor and stared at her old lover.

The only one in the room that didn’t seem fazed at all was the tiny demon invisible to all but one in the room. He took the opportunity to study the ice queen when she wasn’t yelling or insulting someone. Really, she was quite beautiful and he could see what must have attracted men to her ‘cause it sure as hell wasn’t her personality. With her long blonde hair and wide hazel eyes she almost seemed innocent, which was, until she opened her trap and squashed that happy thought like a bug on a windshield.

“I, uh, just thought I should…don’t know why I bothered to come down here at all. Not like you really wanted me here in the firs’ place…I’ll jus’ go then. Glad you’re still alive ‘n kickin’ luv.” William ‘Spike’ Pratt turned on his heel to leave after one long last look at the woman who’d broken his heart years ago.

“Spike…wait…I…thank you for coming but it really wasn’t necessary. Obviously…” Buffy stopped herself at the blank looks coming from the demon and her former flame. “What I meant was thank you for coming. I really do appreciate it. It means a lot to me that you cared enough to wait with my mom. ”

“’S not a problem pet. Jus’ wanted to make sure you were alright. You know I like Joyce, always have.” Spike ran a hand through his short brunette locks before walking out the door and back out of her life.

It took a moment before she realized that the doctor talking to her and about her as her mother squeezed her hand and brought her back to the present.

“…should have a full recovery although there is a slight chance that physical therapy will not be enough and another operation might be necessary for full use of that leg. I have every hope that you should be fine Ms. Summers. You have an excellent support in your mother as she has accepted responsibility for you until you’ve recovered enough to live on your own again. Don’t want you straining yourself on that leg until it’s fully healed. Not to mention you’ve got a couple of broken ribs in there as well. With her help and a bit of luck, you should be able to move around just fine in six months or so.” Dr. Stevenson looked rather pleased with himself as he grinned at his frowning patient.

“Six months? You want my mother to live with me for six fucking months?” The words were out of her mouth before she could stop herself and she heard her mother’s short ragged breath before her eyes snapped to the older woman.

“Is it really that bad? Am I really that bad that you have to tell your secretaries to lie for you so you don’t have to speak with me? What did I do to deserve this Buffy?” Joyce pulled her hand away from her daughters as she realized why she had been talking to strangers for the past three years instead of her own child. “Why do you hate me so much? Was I that bad of a mother to you?”

“N…no mom. Don’t do that…it wasn’t your fault…I-I just…I don’t know. Look, I’ve just been independent for so long and now…I’m not. It’ll just take some time but I’d really like if you could be the one to help me out.” She bit her lip as her attention wandered from her beaming mother to the little demon nodding his head in approval in her direction. She shook her head lightly when he wrapped his arms around himself and nodded towards Joyce. Whistler scrunched up his face in the direction of the Ice Queen herself and wrapped his arms even tighter around himself before pointing down with a single index finger.

Buffy wrapped her arms as tight around Joyce as the pain and I.V lines would allow. She sighed gratefully when the adorned demon grinned at her and she was able to settle back amongst the pillows.

“I’m glad we’re all in agreement. I’d hate to see my favorite little patient unable to heal properly because of familial strife.” The doctor grinned again, ignoring the penetrating gaze of his patient and quite happy she was literally stuck in the bed unless someone helped her out. With a parting smile, he walked out of the room but not before promising that one of the nurses would be in shortly and visiting hours were nearly over.

“So…I’ll see you tomorrow I guess.”

“I’ll be here sweetie. I’m not going to let you down this time, you’ll see.” Joyce leaned down to kiss her daughter’s forehead, carefully avoiding the dried blood and stitches and effectively cutting off any protests from the girl. With a smile she left the room.

“Alright, so how did I do? Am I heaven bound yet?”

“You did alright princess but I’ve still got a couple of issues with you.” Whistler waited for her protests to die down before continuing, “Why did you let that perfectly nice man walk right back out of your life again?”

“What was I supposed to do- ask him to fuck my brains out with my mother, you and the nice doctor in the room?” Buffy asked exasperatedly.

“Girlie if you would get it through your head that not everything is about how much pleasure you can get from someone but rather what you can do for them maybe you might have a lasting relationship with something other than your vibrator.” Whistler cocked a brow in her direction. “What I meant was why didn’t you tell that boy you wanted him to stay so you two could have a meaningful conversation that really should have happened years ago. You broke his heart because you were too focused on what Buffy wanted instead of listening to him and talking out those damn fears of yours.”

“Because…because I was scared, alright?”