“Did I just hear you right? The Great Buffy Summers is scared? The invincible one who need just be this enigma on the face of the planet, so great she can quell the deepest seas and tame even the devil, himself?” Whistler looked rather pleased with himself as he reappeared in the chair Joyce had previously occupied. He watched over his young charge and nearly giggled in delight at her savage expression. Her eyes positively glowed when she was angry.

“Did anyone ever tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?” She growled at the chuckling demon, “It’s not very attractive… at all.”

“As a matter of fact I have heard that. Old Lucifer himself was telling me that just the other week. Of course I didn’t take it to heart considering he is the prince of lies after all but since the magnificent Buffy has deemed it, I shall have no other choice but to reconsider my faults.” He bowed down from his chair until his head was level with the bottom of the bed. Her growling only seemed to escalate as he did so and he quickly figured that it might not be a good idea to mess with the girl saving him from an eternity of damnation at the hands of one of Luci’s bodyguards. No thank you! He liked all of his parts where they were and he certainly liked his ribcage within his chest instead of being used as a hat. He had no doubts that the three hundred pound demon would make good on his word and rip him into pieces. How was he supposed to know he only held a two of spades while the other demon held an ace?

Her head hit the top pillow and she winced, “So you know my big secret. I’m terrified of William, not William but what he might do if he sees the real me. The person that can’t keep a man for the life of her. Hell, even my dad walked out and never looked back.”

“So it means nothing that he was ready to propose and marry you?” Whistler paused, adjusting his fedora, “That boy was ready to give you everything he had and you kicked his scrawny ass to the curb without even giving him a reason. Princess, you had your secretary break up with him for you. Sensing a problem there?”

“Maybe hell would have been a better alternative than you giving me a skewed play-by-play of my life. First off, I sent him a text telling him it was over…he just kept…calling. Secondly, that hat doesn’t go with those shoes.” She pointed at his brown fedora and scuffed black sneakers. “Really, it doesn’t go with anything at all. What are you hiding under that hat anyway…horns?”

The little demon clamped a hat on the top of his hat to keep her prying hands away from his head, “None of your damn business. Besides this isn’t about me, well not really anyway, it’s about you and how we’re going to fix you until you’re a decent human being…again. You must have been such a sweet kid at one point…what happened?” He swatted an errant hand away again, “how many employees have you fired over the past year?”

Without missing a beat, she answered,” Seventy-four.”

He blinked. “How many of those actually deserved to be fired?”

“Starting with Parker Abrams…twelve. The little cretin deserved it after he screwed my secretary. She was the eleventh.” Buffy paused for a moment, wrinkling her brow, “that does seem a bit excessive. I couldn’t even tell you what the others did or what department they worked in.” She groaned, “I really am going to hell, aren’t I?”

“Well, that depends on you. Big guy upstairs thinks you can be redeemed since you haven’t quite killed anyone or broken any of the really big sins…yet. You’re just sort of teetering on the fence line. Look the nurses will be here in a couple of minutes so why don’t you get some sleep and I’m going to pop off upstairs for a bit. See you in the morning princess and do try to not yell at anyone tonight- remember they’re just doing their jobs.” With a wriggle of his nose he was gone and Buffy was left to her own defenses as she settled against the pillows and willed the pain to stop.

8 hours later

Buffy awoke to the rustling of items as her mother tugged in a cart filled to the brim with vases of flowers.

“Oh goody, you’re awake. Dawn, go get the bear for your sister.” Joyce pointed the tall brunette back out of the room to fetch a large teddy bear with the words ‘get well’ printed on a sash adorning its chest.

The teen glared at her older sister and dumped the bear onto the bed beside her, “So you didn’t die…congrats, I guess.”

Buffy started, “Dawnie…”

“Don’t Dawnie me, you weren’t there and I wouldn’t have cared if you did die. You don’t even care about this family.” Dawn turned her head away from the older girl and slouched in the chair furthest from her.

Joyce saw the pain flash over Buffy’s face for a moment before taking the seat next to her and patting her hand. “She’ll get over it honey. She’s just a little upset that you never called her back after she made the honor roll…”

“She made the honor roll? I didn’t know. No one ever told me.” She turned her head sharply when she felt the presence of the tiny demon beside her. He tilted his head slightly as if to ask, ‘did you really expect anything more?’ “God, I’m sorry Dawn but I promise we’ll do something to celebrate as soon as I get out of here.”

The younger girl didn’t respond but Whistler could see a small smile tug on her lips as she registered the sincerity behind the blonde’s words.

”Yeah, I guess that would be cool. I mean if we totally didn’t tell anyone we were sisters or anything.” Dawn paused, “maybe we could go to the fair? I mean if you’re feeling up to it. But if you have other things to do…we don’t have to…”

“Dawnie, I want to go to the fair with you. Tell you what, when my secretary brings in my appointment book we’ll set aside an entire weekend for just the two of us, ‘kay?”

Dawn nearly glowed with her sister’s proclamation and Whistler had the fleeting thought that under the Ice Queen exterior Buffy Summers might actually possess a beating, feeling heart.