Dawn Summers stalked down the halls of the hospital as she fought to keep from screaming. Her sister, the same sister who’d all but disappeared from the family, was now back in her mother’s good graces and taking up all of her time. She muttered under her breath and prowled the halls until she came into full contact with a solid chest…and water.

“Whoa there nibblet! You’re walking ‘round like the devil’s on your tail.” William grinned down at her but she could only glare back at him.

“Funny, the devil. Ha-ha. No, it’s just the devil’s mistress- Buffy.” Dawn huffed, “what’s so special about her anyway? Unless you want to count the horns and tail, I’m pretty sure she has them or at least sold her soul to the devil. Can you actually do that? Cause she totally did. No one can be that big of a bitch without some underworld help.”

He sighed and directed her towards a nearly empty waiting room.

“Mom acts like she’s the second coming or something. First off, Buffy didn’t want anything to do with her but now…she’s just perfect…again. I just don’t get it. Buffy ignores her and mom just won’t let it go. Do you know what she talks about all day? It’s always Buffy this and Buffy that. When Buffy got promoted, mom found out from Xander of all people ‘cause he works in the mail room. Buffy didn’t even call to tell mom about it. She doesn’t ever call anymore, not even at Christmas. ” She slouched in her chair, unwilling to look at another supporter of the ‘We love Buffy’ club and Spike could be considered their president, right under her mother that is. I wonder if they have stickers or shirts or something.

“Big sis’ been through a lot pet, car crashin’ into her ‘n all. She’s bloody well lucky to be alive after that. Not sure if yer mum told you but the docs’s weren’t sure if she would even survive the first surgery, let alone have any brain function…” Spike paused and glanced over at the young girl. Judging by the newly formed tears in her eyes she hadn’t known her sister was much closer to being lowered into the ground than she had realized. “Know she hasn’t the best sister ‘n all but don’t close her off jus’ yet.”

Dawn’s eyes sparked a bit under the tears, “She did say that she would take off a weekend and go to the fair with me. I miss doing things like that with her. I miss her period. We used to do that a lot before she started working so much and became an uber bitch. Speaking of bitch, why are you even here? Didn’t she like break up with you?” Her head tilted to get a better look at him.

It surprised him, even then, that she would dare to ask the question so many others hadn’t bothered with. True, he had seen the changes in his longtime girlfriend but hadn’t paid any heed because he was blinded by his love for her and the girl she’d once been.

Sunnydale High School, 1998

Buffy Summers threw yet another paper wad at the back of Andrew Well’s head, narrowly avoiding detection by the teacher, Ms. Calendar. Her giggles growing in volume when he swatted the back of his head in search of the mysterious flying object. The girls around her only laughed as Harmony handed the petite blonde another paper ball to aim at Jonathon, school geek extraordinaire.

As she rounded for the hit, the classroom door opened to reveal a bleached blonde punk in black leather with a sour scowl across his handsome features.

“Mr. Pratt, you saw fit to deign us with your presence. Take a seat.” Jenny Calendar turned back to the board but not before calling out, “Drop the paper, Summers or you’ll be spending detention with your boyfriend.”

The blonde’s glanced hesitantly at each other before he slouched into the open seat next to her. Buffy grinned at him before letting the paper in her hand fly at the back of Jonathon’s head.

Spike frowned but said nothing, instead preferring to ignore her latest actions as they hadn’t hurt anyone…well, really hurt them.

Present time, Sunnydale General Hospital

He tilted his head back at the youngest Summers sister, “Don’t know what to say but I loved her. Despite her faults I loved her ‘n I know she loved me…at least for a little while. Guess I never stopped carin’ bout her.”

“How do you feel about her now? Really feel about her.”

He blinked.

Back in Buffy’s room

“…and then I figured we could pick up some of your stuff from the apartment, just a few things to tide you over until you’re up and running again…” Joyce rambled on as she adjusted her daughter’s pillows, fluffing each one until it was puffed to perfection. “Mr. Giles called and said he would be back in town tomorrow. He said he was sorry to hear about the accident and that he’ll be here in the morning to see how you’re doing. He and Olivia expressed their well wishes and hope for a speedy recovery…”

Buffy sighed as she realized her mother wasn’t going to stop talking anytime soon and with Whistler glaring at her she had no choice but to listen like the dutiful daughter she…wasn’t.

“Mom, look I appreciate what you’re doing but can we just forget it?” Ignoring the shocked expression on Joyce’s face, she continued, “I’ll be just fine on my own and you can get on with your life. I’m sure things aren’t being handled like you want at the gallery so I’ll just go back to my apartment and you can go back to your life. I’ll see you at Christmas.”

Whistler’s head dropped to his chest in defeat at the reemergence of the Bitch. Hell, she’s going straight to Hell and she’s going to drag me back there with her. Why couldn’t I have gone to Gambler’s Anonymous sooner?

“Elizabeth Anne Summers!” Joyce looked mildly pleased at herself for catching her daughter’s attention. Two could play at this game and she was determined to win. “You will move back into the house at least until you’re able to walk again…without assistance and can prove to me that you can function by yourself. You will give me the chance to be the mother I never was to you…don’t interrupt.” Joyce glared at her. “Obviously something went wrong or I wouldn’t hear from you only on holidays and only for less than five minutes at a time. I don’t know what went wrong but we will fix this family if it means we end up in therapy.”