He tilted his head back at the youngest Summers sister, “Don’t know what to say but I loved her. Despite her faults I loved her ‘n I know she loved me…at least for a little while. Guess I never stopped carin’ bout her.”

“How do you feel about her now? Really feel about her.”

He blinked.

It took a full three minutes before he could answer the leggy brunette, at least according to the clock on the wall opposite him. In that time he’d managed to set down the flowers that had been in his arms when the girl ran into him. Touching the still perfect petals to reassure him they were fine minus a bit of water he ticked off mindless seconds thinking of a plausible answer. Sure, he still cared about her. He’d been in love with her since sophomore year of high school and up until two years ago he had been set to spend the rest of his life with her. Was he actually in love with her or still under her thrall, the illusion of the girl he had once known?

The seconds ticked by as he continued to stare in front of him.

“I love her.” Three words and he knew he was a man walking to his own hanging as soon as they had left his mouth. The feelings he had spent so long covering and drinking away were back with a vengeance as he pictured his golden girl, her vicious tongue only adding to her beauty.

“You actually still love her? Even after she text you, and I quote ‘Been fun, we’re done.’. She didn’t even give you a reason for breaking it off, did she?” Dawn watched him incredulously; amazed that he could still claim to love the ice bitch that’d broken his heart without further explanation.

“Can’t explain it, bit. Was set to spend the rest ‘f my life with ‘er and I guess that hasn’t really changed much. I couldn’t move on after your sis. Tried ‘n failed miserably, even dated Harmony for a bit ‘n that was a bloody disaster. ‘m sure she doesn’t feel the same way but…”

Dawn bit her lip before blurting out, “She does.”

“What?”

“I maybe sort of read her appointment book the last time she was at the house and she had written in there to call you, there was a heart next to it.” She cringed as she waited for his response. “I was trying to find some time that we could spend together…sister stuff but she’s booked through the decade.”

“Wasn’t me pet. Probably has another William on the side now or…” He fought back the jealousy rising as he thought of any other man even thinking about touching her. It was bad enough that he had to hear about her seeing other men from Xander every Friday night when they played pool but he couldn’t imagine actually seeing her with one of the ponces.

“It wasn’t William; it was Spike. I don’t know about you but there aren’t very many Spike’s in Sunnydale.” It was time to tell the truth, or at least as close to the truth as possible. Truth of the matter was the note had been taped into the back of the book. She had only found it while looking for something on her sister that she could use later as blackmail. Turns out the only thing she had on her was that she dyed her hair and penciled in dates.

“Doesn’t mean anything nibblet,” Spike stood and stretched before picking up the vase of pink roses and extended his hand towards the girl.

Buffy’s room

“Can I speak now?” Buffy watched her mother wearily as she waited for another attack. When it didn’t come she continued, “I don’t want to be a burden on anyone…”

“You aren’t a burden to me sweetheart. If anything, I’m a burden to you with all the calls and…”

“I really did mean to call you back…well, no I didn’t but I thought it would be better like that. After what I said that day…I just figured it would be easier if we didn’t talk anymore.” She shrugged as she watched her mother struggle for control over her emotions. Glancing around the room she saw that Whistler had managed to tuck most of his body into the chair as he glared at her while making slashing motions at his throat and pointing downwards. She shrugged apologetically at him.

“Buffy, there is nothing you could say or do to make me stop loving you. Yes, it hurt but what I said to you was even worse. When I said I wanted you gone, it was the scotch talking. I never wanted you out of my life, I could never want that. You and Dawn are my everything, my reason. Can I…can I hug you?” Joyce watched her daughter carefully before approaching the bed and hugging the young woman as tight as she could without hurting her.

A knock at the door interrupted them.

“I, uh, brought you flowers, uh, guess you don’t really need them.” Spike glanced around the flower filled room, guessing that Joyce must have supplied most of them. “Anyway…” He carefully handed off the roses to Joyce, who was waiting patiently for them and for her daughter to acknowledge the man.

Joyce gave the girl a pointed glare.

“Hello William.” Nice, Summers. He brings you flowers and all you can manage is a cold hello. No wonder you’re going straight to hell…I wonder if they have marshmallows down there…right, William.

He gave her a curt nod, “Buffy.”

“So isn’t this a kawinky-dink. You two…in the same room…with a bed…”

“DAWN!” Three heads spun in her direction.

Dawn shrugged them off, “I’m just saying, Buffy’s room was right next to mine and Janice’s older sister, Cameron, told her that they were always up at Lover’s Lane with the windows steamed up. Plus she said that the car was rocking…”

“It is so none of your business what we did or did not do in high school. We aren’t like that anymore. We’ve matured…moved on.” Buffy was unable to meet his eyes as she spoke what seemed to be well rehearsed lines. And the Oscar goes to…

The hurt was evident in his eyes as he spared a glance towards her, “Big sis is right, we’ve moved on. I should be going. Wish you well lu-Buffy. Joyce, Dawn take care.” He went to leave when a solitary voice caught him at the door.

“William.”

The murmurs coming from the room told him he should make a run for it but was soon stopped by Joyce’s hand on his shoulder. “She wants to talk with you…privately. Don’t let her get away so easily this time. If you love her, fight for her.”