Chapter Twenty-Nine


Although their day had been organised around lectures, research and food breaks, Buffy and Willow's togetherness had been frequently marred by awkward bursts of silence. Buffy's marked lack of courage in approaching Spike about their troubles in every way matched her similar approach to Willow. They hadn't discussed the spell gone wrong or the almost disastrous effects it had on her blooming relationship with the newest vampire with a soul. No number of cookies could penetrate Buffy's week-long miserable certainty that she had allowed a break of monumental proportions to fester between herself and Spike. Now that they had made up though, she was feeling delirious in her happiness; she was a giver. The manner of her giving earlier this morning had a giant grin plastered to her lips.

Once again Willow looked at her friend and sighed at all the missed opportunities for mending the trust that she had smashed to pieces with her badly thought out spell. It seemed like much too heavy a burden to bear that not only was she grieving about the finality of her own relationship, but she had to assume the responsibility for driving a stake in Buffy's newfound happiness as well. Not to mention Xander's perverse fixation on all things demon and their locations-see how to avoid them at all costs!

They may have spent the majority of the day together, but there had been no lighthearted humour to break through the tedium of classes and study, and this had Willow decidedly nervous. Buffy's occasional enormous grins here and there sided with her continued cold shoulder treatment made Willow even more so. They had made it back to their dorm room after a quicker-than-usual walk from the library, Buffy intent on finding something red to wear out on their trip to the Bronze. Suddenly weary, Willow collapsed on her bed and sighed loudly.

"Buffy, are we going to get past this?"

Buffy stopped in the frantic search of her closet and looked hard at her bestfriend. She registered the wounded expression in Willow's shining eyes and decided that enough was enough. She had never felt the need to punish her friends before, for any infraction- and it was unfair for her to start now. Besides, now that she was all Honest Buffy, she could admit that most of the fault lay at her own door.

"I'm sorry, Will. I haven't intentionally been ignoring you." At Willow's raised eyebrow and her lips pursed in her standard resolve face, Buffy deflated. "Okay, there was a little bit of avoidy Buffy. I was scared. I know you all think I'm crazy for letting myself fall for Spike, but I really had no choice. God, I love him so much it tears at my insides."

Buffy laughed at Willow's grimace. "I know, I'm all with the colourful imagery."

"Well, torn insides can be good. I think. I mean, can't they?" Willow did her clever, cute ditzy routine and Buffy laughed, but then her mouth grew serious as she drew them back to their healing chat.

"I thought I'd ruined it. It wasn't so much that you cast the spell that upset me. It was more that I had finally let him have me after waiting and I was afraid that I only did it out of some magical compulsion. I know: Stupid, thy name is Buffy. It would have happened anyway, sooner or later, and I just blew everything out of proportion. Just call me The Big Over-reactor!"

Buffy stopped and wondered at the shocked look on her friend's face.

"What did I say?" Buffy started to get nervous as Willow opened and closed her mouth several times without even one little burst of sound.

"Will?"

"You...you...gave yourself to Spike?"

Buffy's grin almost split her face as she collapsed back on her bed with dreaminess clouding her face.

"Oh, did I!"

"Oh Goddess. I bet that was some good times."

"And then some..." Buffy suddenly snapped upright and glared at the redhead. "Not you too! First mom, then you. Spike's bod is not for anyone else's eyes, just mine." The possessive flare of fire in her eyes had Willow backing down fast.

"Sorry, not poaching. I've had my demon guy. No more for a really...really... long while. Maybe even never! I'm thinking of trying for a different kind of lifestyle."

Buffy choked, though not unkindly, and offered a conciliatory smile to Willow before adopting a relaxed pose.

"And who would be making you think of this 'different' kind of lifestyle? Would she be a pretty blonde into magic?"

Willow blushed."I hope you don't mind. I asked Tara to come to the Bronze with us."

They shared a genuine smile of warmth as they rose and continued searching for the definitive 'wowing' outfit before heading off to find the rest of their party.

They met up with Tara before leaving campus and Buffy received her first compliment for the night as they walked happily toward the Bronze.

"Wow, Buffy. You look amazing."

Willow looked a little jealously at Tara, but shrugged. No use getting upset over her admiration of a strictly heterosexual girl, especially one with a vampire boyfriend. Then she looked at Buffy closely and took in the satisfied smile, the gentle flush on her cheeks, the long satin red dress and heels that would be hell to slay in should the need arise, and her eyes widened.

"Thank you, Tara. You look pretty good yourself."

Tara looked down at her plain black skirt and wispy cream shirt and raised a questioning brow at Willow. She giggled.

"I think Buff is in Happy Land. Everything is beautiful."

The two girls shared an amused smile and looked at Buffy, who walked along with stars in her eyes. As they neared the alley behind the Bronze, they heard someone calling out to Buffy and slowed; Willow pulling on her best-friend's arm to gain her attention when it appeared she hadn't heard her own name called. The three turned, and as Buffy's spine stiffened as her eyes found Riley. She looked quickly around the alleyway; glad to see that he didn't have his commando friends staked out strategically- or at least, not that she could see. Then again, that wouldn't be hiding, she thought to herself nervously.

"Hey Riley. What's up?"

His smile was bright with pleasure and she suddenly knew that he hadn't gotten the message that she was taken. Unease shivered across her skin and she knew that after tonight, they all needed to reconvene at Giles's and come up with a plan. The threat of the Initiative had to be neutralised soon, or Spike would never be safe.

In an act of desperation, she ran her left hand up her right arm and allowed it to rest on her shoulder, the ruby of her ring glinting in the streetlight, dim though it was. His eyes rested briefly on the stone before pointedly ignoring it and turning back to her face.

"So, Bronzing tonight huh? Would you save me a dance?"

She shifted uncomfortably, glancing sideways at Willow before offering nervous consent.

"Sure. One dance. It would be my pleasure."

He seemed disappointed that she didn't intend for more, but sucked it up and rocked on his heels, hands in his pocket looking for all the world like a nervous school boy chatting up the girl of his dreams.

"I'll see you later, Riley. We're meeting some people inside." Her smile wasn't frosty, though she fully wanted it to be, and they turned and left him standing in the doorway. As they disappeared within the pumping walls of the Bronze, Forrest and Graham appeared from their hiding places, dressed head to toe in standard issue army gear, their weapons resting at ease.

"You have your orders?"

They nodded solemnly. "Take down Hostile 17. We'll come and get you when he has been neutralised."

Riley showed his consent with the quick dip of his chin and disappeared through the door that had swallowed so many young people already tonight.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffy stood a little inside the door and allowed her eyes to sway back and forth, looking for her target. She nearly fell over in shock when she located him, sitting silently, sipping at a beer; with Xander. A smile lit up her face, glad that her friend was trying, and she made her way toward them.

As if sensing her, Spike was suddenly on his feet and facing her. The sight of him had her steady progress stumbling to a halt and she sucked in air desperately thinking she was very much about to pass out. He stood there, proud, his strong legs encased in black leather and his powerful shoulders the hanger for an impressive electric blue pullover, the waist loose and hanging. It wasn't latex and it didn't cling, but the dryness of Buffy's mouth told her that it so didn't matter. The man was sex on legs, and thank God he was all hers. Her eyes sought his and her world tipped to its side, uncertain how to reassert balance. She wondered if she was ever going to have equilibrium around him again.

Neither of them had moved, staring their fill at their mate and wishing for all the world they could be somewhere a little less public. Images flashed through Buffy's mind and she was finding it difficult to breathe, suddenly uncomfortable with how revealing her skintight, ankle length red satin dress was without a bra.

As a little reality began to filter back into her conscious state she became aware of the quiet gasps of admiration, both male and female, and she puffed up with knowledge. He was hers, and dammit, it was time to make the room know it.

Her steps quickened until she finally reached his side and her lips became glued to his. In full view of everyone, including her friends and Riley, she engaged in passion and heat and wild but sure love as if her last seconds on earth depended on it. The minutes ticked by with barely a person in the club moving, all watching the clinch between the two hot blondes, fascinated as Spike's hands slid over the smooth surface of her dress until he cupped a breast and tweaked an achingly hard nipple. The electric pulse that hit her violently in the gut had her gasp and pull away, finally noticing the enraptured gaze of the people surrounding them. An embarrassed flush deepened the colour of her face and she buried her head against the soft blue wool of Spike's shirt, sighing happily at his amused rumbling.

He took her hand and dragged her to the dance floor, wrapping his arms intimately around her body and holding her close enough that she was aware of every one of his tense muscles. They swayed hypnotically, leaving their friends to gather drinks and their own libidos after the scorching display had ended only to begin again amongst a crush of avid dancers. Anya had arrived in the interim and commented happily about the quality of orgasms she was positive Buffy would have experienced by now, all to the chorus of groans from her own table. Tara ducked her head, timid but excited. Under the table she held Willow's hand.

In their intimate circle the two blondes seemed oblivious to all around them, but Buffy could feel the bounce of energy bounding off Spike, and knew he was on alert.

"Finn's here," he whispered into her hair.

"Know." Her mumbling heated the patch of fabric against his shoulder and he smiled.

"Not much dressed for slaying tonight, are you?"

She lifted her head and smiled saucily.

"Don't have any plans for killing vamps tonight."

"Do you have plans for doing anything else with vamps tonight?"

"Maybe." Everything was implied in that one word and she smirked when she felt him hardening against her hip. Then he crushed her closer to her body.

"You drive me bloody wild. Do you know that?"

"It's mutual." Her breath had moved up to his neck and all his nerves stood to attention.

"What you did this morning? Oh baby, you're remarkable."

Her teeth scraped the flesh of his neck and he released a tortured groan.

"I fully expect payment for services rendered," she told him, running her fingers through his ungelled curls and she smiled, delirious with her world.

"So, you like the new rags?" He pulled her gently away, just a fraction to see her happiness as she nodded enthusiastically.

"Like is way not a strong enough word. I can't decide if I want to strip you, or just look at you dressed all night."

He chuckled, and she wondered if she had ever heard him laugh out loud before. She had seen many smirks, and perhaps snorts of amusement, but laughter? She didn't think so. Her insides warmed and she cosied into him again.

"Sorry, didn't have time to grow the hair. I left out the gel, though."

Her fingers itched to touch him all over and the warmness his words initiated spread through her like wildfire.

"I can't believe that you want to change for me." Her husky whisper resulted in a harder jab against her thigh.

"Not change. Jus' alter."

They snuggled happily, swaying to the beat as they lost themselves in the combined heat of their desire, and the rush of the room.

They were unaware of the change in song so were shocked when a deep voice broke into their preoccupation.

"Buffy, you up for that dance now?"

She looked up at Riley, her lusty daze taking time to make sense of why he was interrupting them.

"Sure Riley, can you just hold on a second?" He nodded once and stepped away, and it made her nervous that he didn't give her a bit more privacy with her mate. Knowing he didn't have the capacity to hear a whisper in such a loud atmosphere she turned Spike's head away from the interloper and listened to her instincts.

"I promised him one dance. It's not coffee," she tried to joke, but it fell flat at his warning growl. "It doesn't mean anything. I think it's important though to keep an eye on him." He pulled away and began to walk away, resigned to her decision, and all of a sudden self-preservation kicked in. She grabbed his arm and pulled him back to give him a quick kiss. "Don't go outside. I didn't see anything, but I have a feeling that Riley is after you and I wouldn't be surprised if he has his friends out there waiting to recapture you." He tipped his head in reluctant agreement before returning to the table and entering the conversation, she turning back to the suddenly loathsome company of Riley.


A/N I think some wonderful people missed this chapter...so hope you all rememebr to review review review, and I might just get you the new new chappie ASAP!