Chapter 20

The three groups met again at the Slayer’s house to further outline their plans after they’d dispatched the Master’s minions.

“I’d say ninety percent of the Master’s minions are dead. We need to strike now before he has a chance to make any more.” Buffy said.

“I say we attack tonight,” Anne replied. She looked around at the gathered warriors. “Anyone disagree?”

Hassib rose to his feet. “The Committee is ready and willing to follow your command, Slayers.”

“Yes, the demons of Sunnydale do not like the Master’s plans any more than you do.” Richard Jones joined Hassib. “As we speak, Daria and her sister succubae are attacking the remaining minions in their dreams.”

Hassib gave a nod. “Yes, one of the other Committee members has infiltrated the Master’s lair in her animal form which will allow the Dark Elf to telepathically monitor those inside. Shadow has relayed that there are only between fifteen and twenty minions remaining with Nest.”

“Okay, everyone get some rest.” Anne nodded to the gathered warriors. She turned to Buffy. “You and I have a date with the dye bottle.”

Buffy looked at her ‘twin’ in confusion. “Why?”

“You and Spike are going to be our inside source.” Anne grinned. “We gotta make you look different enough that good old Heinrich doesn’t recognize you.”

“You’re gonna have me go dark, aren’t you?” Buffy groaned.

“Unless you want to go pink?” Anne laughed at Buffy’s panicked look. “It’s either red or black. Sorry.”

Buffy contemplated the choice for a few moments. “Black, I suppose. I need some clothes to match Spike’s though.”

A few hours later a transformed Buffy stepped into the basement room she shared with her dimension’s Spike. After seeing that several of the clothing items for her punk outfit were pink, the turned Slayer opted for pink streaks in her hair.

Spike looked up from the book he was reading. “You look right pretty there, luv,” he said.

“Thanks.” Buffy would have blushed if she had been able to. It had been a long time since anyone had complimented her. She hoped that Angel hadn’t ruined her forever.

“How are we playin’ this whole thing?”

Buffy crossed the room to perch on the edge of Spike’s bed. “You get to play the big bad, and I get to play the airhead.” She gave the older vampire a pout.

Spike chuckled. “Next time you can play the big bad, and I’ll play the boy toy.” He reached out to tuck a lock of Buffy’s hair behind one ear. “We can have all kinds of naughty fun with that one.”

Buffy flinched at the gesture and words. She was sad as soon as she saw the hurt look on Spike’s face. She grabbed his hand. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be so flinch-y. Maybe someday?” Buffy gave Spike a pleading look while she hoped he understood her dilemma.

“Pet, if you weren’t flinchin’ I’d be worried.” Spike squeezed Buffy’s hand. “We have all the time in the world.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Upstairs Anne knocked on Anyanka’s bedroom door. After a second or two she called out, “If you’re having orgasms, I can come back later.”

Anyanka opened the door. “No orgasms for me, I’m sad to say.” She looked up and down the hall. “Although Ripper might be getting lucky one of these nights. I wonder if he kisses as good as our Rupert.”

“When did you kiss Giles?” Anne was genuinely curious.

“While I was the tarty stepmom.” Anyanka stepped back to let Anne into the room. “What can I help you with?”

Anne followed Anyanka into the room. When the door closed she said, “I think there’s too much bad blood with our Angel. We need to find him a dimension to stay in.”

“He’ll need instructions too,” Anyanka said thoughtfully. She remembered the information that Hoffy had imparted on her before she joined the dimension hopping Immortal Guardians. “It’ll be best if it’s someplace where Angel is gone for whatever reason.”

Anne nodded. “You and Dee work on that while we take down the Master.” She shuddered at the thought of facing the creature that caused her first death.

“You beat him once, and that was before you had William on your side. You can beat him again.” Anyanka patted Anne on the shoulder. “Go get some rest. Dee and I are capable of handling this.”

“Okay, but if you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to pop in and ask for help.” A big yawn interrupted Anne’s words. “Guess I’m tired after all. Night.” She left Anyanka to her planning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

When the sun set the turned Slayer and her protector were rested and ready to go save the day. Spike and Buffy arrived at the vacant church that Heinrich Nest used as a lair about an hour after dark. Spike strolled in like he owned the place with Buffy on his arm at her ditzy best.

“We’re not staying here are we?” Buffy whined. She looked around the dirty building with a nose wrinkled in disgust. She turned said nose up at the minions who were using the pews for beds. “There’s dust and other icky stuff. You know I only sleep in a bed with silk sheets.”

“I told you before we’re just here to meet the head of the line.” Spike acted exasperated even though he agreed with Buffy’s vapid assessment.

Buffy turned pouty. “Baby, you promised if I did that nasty thing, you’d take me shopping.”

The Master’s minions watched the two newcomers with trepidation. Several of them remembered Spike’s previous visit to Sunnydale, and they expected the impatient vampire to at least punish the female for her back talk. They were surprised when Spike simply chuckled.

“Let me meet with Gramps, and then I’ll take you to the mall for anything your heart desires,” Spike promised.

The smile that spread across Buffy’s face was breathtaking to behold, or at least Spike thought so. He heard the minions let out a sigh of relief, not realizing that they had two master vampires in their midst who where willing and able to take them all out for the greater good of humanity.

“William, you came for a visit,” Heinrich Nest said in the way of a greeting when he entered the room. “Where is the delightfully wicked Drusilla?”

Buffy tensed up. If the Master recognized her the plan could go badly in a heartbeat.

Spike felt Buffy tense beside him. He draped his arm around her waist, and he pulled her closer to reassure her. “Dru’s enjoyin’ the hot, spicy blood of Brazil.”

“I seem to have a small problem,” Nest lisped from between his fangs. “My best plan is about to seek its fruition, but I’m missing my minions.”

Spike glanced around the room. “I thought the room looked a bit empty. Where is that little ponce? The Annoying One?”

The Master looked saddened at the mention of the child vampire. “That Island bitch got my Colin.” Then, he shrugged his shoulders. “Oh well, he served his purpose.”

“Must have happened right after Dru and I blew out of town.”

“Master Lenny and the others still haven’t returned.” Chad cowered in front of the ancient vampire. “Only twenty minions returned from feeding this morning.”

A deep rumbling outside the lair caught everyone’s attention. Then, the doors burst open. Giles, the remaining Scoobies, and the coven witches swept into the church.

“Only Gramps and twenty minions, Watcher. We did a good job cleanin’ out the flotsam last night.” Spike nodded at the newcomers.

Buffy, encouraged by the presence of the others, stepped away from Spike. She flipped back her darkened tresses. “Hey you, punch mouth, I might be as dead as you now, but I’m still prettier.” She switched into game face. She didn’t realize that she wasn’t vamping, but instead she had become pure Slayer.

Spike stared at Buffy in shock when her heart started to beat. He gave Giles a startled glance while the turned Slayer launched herself at Nest with a guttural growl.

The Scoobies and witches dispatched the remaining minions with ease. With a fatal plunge of Buffy’s stake, the reign of Heinrich Nest came to a dusty end. All that as left was a pile of charred bones.

“Those bones need to be ground up and thrown into water or someone can bring him back.” Anne stepped into the room with William and Ripper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“I think I found one,” Dee said. “I checked the timeline. Angel’s gone.”

“Can you track backwards to his death?” Anyanka asked. “I know it’s hard, but we need to know.”

Dee nodded. “Watch the pool.” She concentrated hard on shifting along the timeline. It was not something she would be able to do on a daily basis. Moving around the timeline of a dimension took an incredible amount of power that she just didn’t have yet.

Liam leaned forward. There in the portal, he could see a version of himself feeding off an alley rat. “That was a bad time for me. I almost waited for the sun several times.”

Dee, Anyanka, and Liam watched as Angel finished the rat’s blood. The other vamp climbed to the rooftop of a nearby building where he waited for the sun to rise. Liam visibly flinched when Angel dusted.

“We’ll put you in right there,” Anyanka announced. “Well, we’ll make sure it’s inside a building though.”

“How are we going to make sure Captain Hair Gel here doesn’t make the same stupid mistakes?” Dee glared at Liam.

“My counterpart should do fine,” Anyanka said with a grin.

“Okay, let’s do this then.” Dee looked back in the swirling pool. Then she pointed at Liam. “Spike and Buffy belong together! If you mess this up, I’ll be back to make you sorry.”