Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta and banner by dawnofme.
Chapter Twenty-Two

Willow staggered and fell, crying out as her hip struck the edge of the bathtub, and together with Cameron, ended up in a heap on the floor.

The bathroom door flew open and a wild eyed Craig rushed in.

“You got him! Oh, Christ! You got him!” He held his hand out to his brother, who was struggling to sit up. “Welcome home, Cam.”

Cameron stared at Craig, before pushing himself backwards. “This…this isn’t home.”

“I know – long story,” said Craig. “Hey, you’re bleeding.”

“Where? Let me see,” said Willow, who’d carefully laid the bag to one side and now crawled over to Cam.

Bringing his hand up to his neck, he could feel the trickle of blood from where the line to his intravenous drip had been connected. The collar had been taken off once Maggie had implanted the knowledge.

“What have you done?” He glared at them.

Craig followed Cameron’s gaze as it travelled to his groin. There was a wet patch at the crotch of his pants from where the waste tube had snapped.

“Oh, man! You’ve pissed yourself.” Craig couldn’t keep from blurting it out.

Willow silenced his subsequent giggles with a look. “It’s all right, Cam. Everything is going to be all right.”

When Cameron tried to recoil from Willow’s outstretched hand, Craig realised that his brother couldn’t move his legs. He fell to his knees beside him. A tear rolled slowly down his cheek, as his faced paled. He’d let his brother down and now Cam was paralysed.

“What did they do to you?” he whispered.

“They didn’t do anything,” hissed Cameron. He stared at Willow. “Take me back!”

“What?” Craig frowned.

Knowing that his brother’s presence wasn’t helping Cam at all, Willow said, “Craig, go and get my bag.”

Craig opened his mouth to protest but thought better of it and left the room without saying a thing

Placing her hands on Cameron’s shoulders, Willow said, “Now I have to go back for your mother. We didn’t foresee your injuries and so I’m sorry you might not be very comfortable. The catheter in your vein has been pulled out, but it’s stopped bleeding now. Are you in any pain?”

Cameron shook his head. “Take me back.” He covered the wet mark on his pants with his hands.

“Not gonna happen, kiddo. Why would you want to go back there?”

“I told you it’s my home. Maggie looks after me well. She didn’t abandon me like the Slayer did.”

“What has gotten into you?” Willow frowned. The loss of a soul in one so unsullied shouldn’t have made him like this.

“Nothing. I just finally know the truth. If you take me back now – I won’t have been missed yet,” Cam said, his expression earnest. “I’m not scheduled to operate until six a.m.”

“Operate?”

“Yeah. What of it?” Cameron tried to move away and let out a soft moan when he couldn’t manage it.

“Look, I have to go back for your mom. I’ll get Craig to help you to a bed.”

She called down to Craig and before he got to the top of the stairs she’d teleported out again.

“Don’t fucking touch me – leave me here,” said Cam as soon as Craig walked into the bathroom.

“Don’t be stupid. You can’t stay on the floor. I’ll help you.” Craig bent down and scooped Cameron up. “Wrap your arms around me. It’ll make it easier with my arm not being very strong.”

Cam tried to wriggle free but when he couldn’t, he reluctantly grabbed hold of Craig as he carried him out to the bedroom. Dora was there, fussing with the bedclothes, as Craig staggered in. He half put down, half dropped Cam onto the bed and groaned as he straightened his right arm.

“What’s wrong with it?” asked Cam, frowning.

Glancing at Dora, Craig said, “Um…you know what happened to it.” Seeing Cam’s blank stare, he sat on the bed beside him and added, “I got attacked – remember? It screwed up my elbow.”

Dora decided that discretion was the best course of action for now. “I’ll leave you to catch up,” she said, wincing at how inane it sounded. “Just call if you need anything.”
“Thanks, Dora,” said Craig. He waited until she left before turning to face Cam. “What happened to you Cam…you look terrible?”

Cam shoved himself up so that he was sitting a little more upright. “I got attacked too.” He frowned. “At least I think I did. I mean, I must have done, right? To end up like this?” He waved a hand at his legs. “It kept me from operating for weeks.”

It was Craig’s turn to frown. “What do you mean weeks? It’s only been a few days since they snatched you.”

“Don’t be stupid. There’s no way I could have done all of what I have in a couple of days.”

Craig stared open mouthed at his brother. “What are you talking about? Crap, they’ve fucked with your head.”

“Now you’re being stupid! Just get out and leave me alone!”

Twisting on the bed so that he faced Cam, Craig said quietly, “You don’t even know who I am, do you?”

“Sure I do.” Cam screwed his face up, as he tried to dredge up a memory. He felt he should know him, but somehow just couldn’t quite remember. “You’re Craig. Told you I remembered.” He stared at Craig.

“Oh, man.” Craig blinked back tears. “You heard Aunt Willow use my name.”

Bringing his hands up to hold his head, Cam groaned. “I-I don’t understand…my head really hurts.” His brown eyes were tortured when he raised them to meet Craig’s. “I just want to go home. Nothing hurts there.”

Craig said nothing, even though his heart lurched in his chest knowing that the home Cam sought wasn’t their home.

*~*~*~*

Smoothing her hair away from her face, Buffy stared at Willow in disbelief, unable to take in the fact that the witch had managed to come back for her. As she waited, she’d realised that Cam’s quarters were sound-proofed and maybe that was why no guards had come racing in to get her.

She’d fully intended on seeking out Spike but seeing her son like that had knocked the fight out of her, and since they’d teleported out all she had managed to do was sit on the bed and weep.

“Buffy! Thank Goddess, you stayed here,” said Willow, holding out her hand.

“Cam?”

“He’s safe. Now hurry. We need to get that soul back into him and I can’t do it without you.”

As Buffy took hold of Willow’s hands she glanced at the door. “I’m sorry, Spike,” she murmured, fresh tears falling. “I’m so sorry.”

Then they were gone.

*~*~*~*

The hatch opened and Spike looked up expectantly and snarled. His head throbbed and his mouth watered, saliva dripping off his elongated fangs, as he waited for the next Libreg to arrive. Blood trickled down his chin from where the fangs constantly rubbed his lips raw and the scent of even his own blood was adding to his lust for more.

The guard tasked with feeding Spike every hour through the night was annoyed at having drawn this duty and decided to have a bit of fun. So it was four, not one Libreg, that he dropped through the hatch for the three a.m. feeding.

Spike caught the first one even before it hit the floor, crushing the beast in his right fist. His fangs had just grazed its fur covered skin when the other demons attacked. Howling as one bit deep into his buttock, the vampire threw down the one he held and twisted so he could use his right hand to grab the one biting him. A chunk of his flesh came with the Libreg as he yanked it away.

With his left hand he managed to knock one away, just before it sank it teeth into his balls. He tried to stamp on it but it was too quick. He snapped the spine of the one in his hand and tossed it aside. The two Libreg still capable of movement, worked as a unit, attacking from opposite sides, biting and leaping away before Spike could catch them. Spike’s head swivelled wildly from side to side as he tried to predict where the creatures would come from next. They seemed to have realised that he only had the sight in one eye and kept attacking on his blind side.

By the time he’d killed the remaining two, Spike was covered in bites on his feet and legs. Panting with exertion, he stooped down to pick up one of the bodies. Wrinkling his nose in distaste, he had to suck hard to pull the rapidly cooling blood from the corpse. When all four were drained, he sat on the only part of the floor not littered with debris, rested his head against the wall and for the first time since waking in the cell, he slept.

*~*~*~*

Craig leapt up from the bed and ran to the bathroom when the turbulence indicated Willow’s return.

“Mom!” He sagged against the doorframe as he saw his mother.

“I’m fine. They never knew I was there,” said Buffy, hugging her son tight enough to make him wince.

“How’s Cam?” asked Willow.

Lowering his voice and glancing over his shoulder, Craig said, “They’ve done something to him…he d-doesn’t know who I am.”

“They took his soul away,” said Buffy, “but we got it and Willow is going to restore it.” A glance at her friend revealed the witch picking up the rucksack with its precious cargo. “But why would that make him forget Craig?”

“It wouldn’t.” Willow’s face was grim. “But I’ll fix him. Don’t worry.”

Together they made their way to the bedroom where Cam sat on the bed. Denied of the constant stream of drugs that the Initiative fed him, he was already beginning to hurt as his head seemed too small to contain the suppressed memories that were trying to return. His eyes widened in fear as he watched them enter.

“Craig. Go get me and your mom a cup of sweet tea – at least four spoons of sugar – please.”

Nodding, Craig turned on his heels and jogged downstairs to the kitchen.

Willow sat on the bed next to Cameron’s inert legs. “Now, Cam. Tell me what you remember about what happened to you.”

His eyes narrowed as they fixed on Buffy. “She abandoned me. Didn’t want me around now I’m like this.” He waved a hand at his legs.

“That’s not true!” Buffy dashed to her son, kneeling beside him, she took his hand in hers. “I love you. I’ve been hunting for you since you were taken.”

He tried to pull his hand away. “No you didn’t!” She was too strong and he moaned with frustration at his failure to get free. “You left me to rot! Maggie saved me. I want to go back.” His face crumpled. “Please let me go back. It hurts. I don’t hurt when I’m there.”

“Oh, Cam.” Buffy stroked his face and for a moment, a fleeting moment, he leaned into her touch.

Craig reappeared, gave the women their tea, and disappeared again without a word. He couldn’t bear to see Cam so broken.

“Cameron,” said Willow. “I want you to look at something.”

The boy raised his face to stare balefully at her. Bending down, she took the jar out of the rucksack and held it out for him to see.

“What’s that?” he asked.

“Don’t you know?”

He scowled and shook his head.

“It’s your soul, Cam. They took away your soul. That’s why everything feels different.”

“No. You’re lying,” said Cam, but his voice wavered and he glanced uncertainly between the women.

Buffy took his hand. “We’re not. I swear to you, sweetie, that we’re not.” He gripped her hand for a second before realising what he’d done and snatching it away.

“I don’t believe you. Why would Maggie do that?”

“We don’t know why she’d do it,” said Willow. “But she did and now I’m going to put it back.”

“Why?”

The question stumped the women momentarily.

“Because you’re my son, and you have a soul and—”

“Will…will it make my…will I be able to walk if I get my soul back?”

Buffy’s throat tightened, unable to speak she turned to Willow, her face anguished.

“No. It won’t make any difference to that at all. But if they used magical means to do it to you, Cam, I promise that I will find the spell to reverse it,” said Willow.

“But…it wasn’t magical…it was an accident and you didn’t help me…that’s why Maggie did.” Cam glanced from on to the other.

“What sort of accident?” Willow asked. “How were you hurt?”

“I…it was…” Cam screwed up his face as he tried to remember. “Why can’t I remember? What have you done to me?” His voice rose and he struggled to move further away from them.

“Willow,” said Buffy quietly, “please just do it – I can’t listen to this for much longer – I need my son back how he was.”

Nodding, Willow reached into her bag and began to mix the ingredients that would enable her to return Cameron’s soul. She plucked hairs from Cam’s head and added them to the mix. When she was finally ready she turned to Buffy.

“You know how I said that I couldn’t do the spell without you?” Buffy nodded. “Well…I need you to hold him down. If he moves at all the soul could be lost forever.”

“Why not just knock him out?” Cam’s eyes widened at his mother’s response.

“He’s got to be conscious.”

“Please…” Cam said, tears welling in his eyes. “Please, just take me home.”

“I’m your mother, not that bitch Walsh!” Buffy grabbed his ankles and with more force than she’d intended, dragged him down the bed so he was lying flat. His head hit the headboard of the bed with an audible crack.

“Conscious, Buff,” said Willow as Cam cried out.

“Just do the goddamn spell.” Buffy crawled up the bed to straddle Cam’s torso.

He struggled ineffectually as she pinned his arms under her knees and then firmly placed her hands on his collarbones, with enough pressure to make them creak and Cam moan.

“Please don’t hurt me,” whispered Cam.

Hot tears fell onto his face as Buffy squeezed her eyes shut, unable to bear looking at the fear in his face any longer.

Willow began to chant, slowly and quietly at first, the pace and volume increasing as she got deeper into the ritual. She snapped off the lid to the jar and the ball of pure white light hovered over the bed for an instant before dipping between Buffy and Cameron and sitting over the boy’s chest.

Buffy’s resolve almost weakened then, as Cam screamed and his body writhed beneath her.

“Hold him!” Willow said. “Sweet Goddess! Don’t let him dislodge it!”

Gritting her teeth, Buffy redoubled her efforts to pin Cam down and after the longest five minutes of her life, Cameron went limp, his yells fading to whimpers.

“Did it work?” She turned to face Willow.

“Yes. His soul is restored.”

Buffy crawled off Cameron, grimacing at the bruises she’d caused on his body.

“Cam, oh baby, I’m sorry.” She wiped the tears from his face. “I love you.”

Cameron’s eyes seemed to take a second to focus, before clearing and meeting hers. “Will you take me home? Maggie won’t be angry with me now that I’ve got a soul, will she?”

“Will!” Buffy turned to face her friend. “Why is he still saying that? Oh, God. We’ve failed!”
Willow put her hand on Buffy’s shoulder. “It’s not over yet.” As she spoke Cameron’s eyes rolled back in his head and he passed out.

“Cam!”

“Shh,” Willow said. “It’s too much to take in while conscious. His subconscious needs to be in charge. He should wake in about thirty minutes.”

“I’m staying with him.” Buffy climbed back onto the bed and cradled her son in her arms.

Willow nodded and left the room, closing the door softly behind her.

*~*~*~*

As Cameron’s screams rent the air, Dora leapt to her feet. “Dear God! What are they doing to that poor boy! I’m going to stop them!”

Maurice beat Craig to stand in front of her. “No, love, you’re going to sit down and wait, like we’ve been asked.”

“But…how can you sit here and listen to that!” All three winced as his cries, if anything, got louder. “They’re killing him!”

Putting a hand on each of her arms, Maurice said, “They know what they’re doing. Leave them be.”

“How do we know that? We’ve only known them a couple of days! Maybe they are the villains here, not the Initiative?”

“Dora,” said Maurice.

Sighing deeply, Dora nodded, “I can’t believe I just said that. We know the Initiative is up to no good, but—”

“Mrs. Carmichael,” said Craig. “Please trust us.” His voice cracked. “I need my brother back. They’ve done stuff to him and…and you’ve seen him…they’ve paralysed him.” Craig broke down in harsh rasping sobs.

Pulling free from her husband, Dora moved to Craig, putting her arms around his shoulders. Turning in his seat, he clung to her. “I want him back how he was!”

Willow paused in the doorway of the kitchen, taking in the tableau in front of her. Maurice was standing beside Dora who was being hugged by Craig as if his life depended on it.

Sniffing, Craig raised his head and wiped his eyes. “Did it work?”

“His soul has been restored.” Willow pulled out a chair and sat down on it with a thump. Her energy levels were getting low. “He’s unconscious, right now. We’ll know when he wakes up if having the soul returned has helped him strip away the false memories that they’ve implanted.”

“Cup of tea, Willow?” asked Dora. “Are you hungry?”

Maurice chuckled. “A cup of tea is your answer to everything.”

Cuffing his arm as she walked past him, she said, “It’s the universal cure all – you know that.”

Craig watched her as she busied herself with the kettle and began to make some sandwiches, knowing that it was her way of coping with things she had no hope of understanding. He glanced upstairs and offered up a small prayer for his brother. Cam was a good person. He’d be all right, wouldn’t he?


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for getting me past the 100 mark :D Appreciate you all taking the time.