Author's Chapter Notes:
This is story requires creating a whole universe of supernatural. If there are any questions you may have write a review and I will try to answer those questions within one of the story's chapters. Enjoy.... once again, this story will get dark.
He woke up from his slumber in a stir.

His dreams yet again portraying an ideal ending he would never see-- He was human. His talks of Slayers, and Watchers were a thing of his imagination. There were no duties, no obligations and no responsibilities; No destiny, and no promises to fulfill. He was simply happy. It was an unrealistic illusion, even for his standards. As soon as he opened his eyes to dwell amongst the living, he would once again be reminded that he was dead, bitter and alone. And it was all because of one girl. He knew he wouldn’t like her. From the moment her insipid bubble of an existence surrounded him, Buffy Summers had become not of interest to him. She was a girl, barely ripe for the picking. The idea of even touching her made him sickened at the thought. Of all the games the Council had played on him, this was by far the worst.

And Spike took every opportunity to tell her so.

He hated her like vampires hated the sun.

Of course, he had no purpose to hate the sun since the Gem of Amara, granted to him by the Council, allowed him access to it; but he was sure if he were ever to be sunburned, it would feel like this. He thought that when he arrived to Sunnydale and met his future mate that maybe his feelings of resentment would fade. He wanted to think, like any rational person, that he would lay eyes of her and they would instantly know that they were meant for each other for the rest of eternity.

There were no such feelings.

The only feelings he had were same emotions of gall.

He reflected on the life he left behind as a Duke, the money he threw away to disappear from society and the people he was fated to never see again; all because of this one girl.

She didn’t even know that he had given up everything to be there for her. Too bundled in her superficial world, she hadn’t even taken the time to realize the sacrifices made for her. All she knew were her friends, her Watcher and her boyfriend. Her friends, Willow and Xander, he concluded were bearable. He respected them because they deserved it. Under the awkwardness that came with teenage adolescence, he could see their strength. He should have seen them as a liability, another human life he would have to protect as a part his destiny; instead he saw them as his only links to normalcy. They reminded him that even in his predetermined existence as a vampire he could still enjoy the company of someone human. That he could laugh and find meaning in the meaningless, and believe for a second of the day that he was human.

Giles, on the other hand, had made every effort to remind him that he wasn’t. He could tell it wasn’t done in spite. Just simply done to remind him of the responsibilities he carried. He didn’t need the reminders.

Her boyfriend was the prime example of an idiot. Captain Cardboard, as he un-affectionately called him, was as bland and clean cut as they came. He was sure from their distant stares and innocent touches that she had never been sexually satisfied by him. This girl had done nothing and seen nothing; and he wasn’t going to allow her the pleasure of doing anything. He didn’t want her, but that didn’t stop him from not wanting anyone else to have her. She was his, ‘his’ being the operative word to emphasize. Some Watcher’s Journals went as far as calling it his birthright. Of the struggles and hardships ahead, her virginity was the least she could offer.

Of course, he was going to take a lot more from her.

As discussed in private with her guardian Rupert, this girl was to be kept on a tight leash. He was in control of her destiny and even though he couldn’t stand the thought of her, he was going to make sure she lived for a very long time.

--

It had nothing to do with the fact that this was a forced pairing.

And it had nothing to do with the fact that he was stuffy and British.

It was just –

He wasn’t Riley.

And everyone else seemed to like that fact. William Stafford, or Spike as he liked to be called, had easily won his way into the hearts of her friends and Watcher. He was helpful, insightful, and full of demon knowledge. He had studied at Oxford and received his master’s at Cambridge. He had been raised by the Duke of Suffolk. He had been trained as a fighter by the headmaster of the Watcher’s Council and blah, blah, blah –

She didn’t care. She just wanted him gone.

To her, he was just another vampire.

But Giles continued to chime into her head that William was special. He was a vampire with a soul. That his sole mission in life was to protect her. That she should give him a chance. It didn’t matter to her, though. A vampire was just a vampire.

And she told him as much.

“That’s your opinion,” Spike scoffed as he continued to throw left punches in her direction. She hated training after-school with him, but Giles insisted that it would better prepare her for the real world if she trained with an actual vampire. “I could be an absolute monster if I wanted to be.”

She dropped her defenses at the comment. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

“Nothing,” he mumbled back as if tired of her comments altogether. But there was no way she was going to let this one go. The way he had said it made her think there was more to the story than he let on. When she first met Spike, he had irritated her to no end. His remarks were always sarcastic; his talks always aimed to remind her that even as an all-powerful Slayer, she was still inferior to his control. The only thing she did seem to like about him was his blunt honesty. He never lied to her, which was something she wished Giles would stop doing. Ever since Spike had arrived, it was as if Giles was trying to set her boundaries. He wanted to set curfews, he needed to know what she was doing, and he allowed Spike to question her every whereabouts. What was clear about all these changes were that they were meant to put some distance between her and her boyfriend.

But what they didn’t know was that it had made their bond stronger. Her constant reassurance and his unchanging dedication made their relationship feel a little more efflorescent. Though she was destined to date a jerk, she couldn’t stop herself from loving Riley. And she wasn’t going to let the peroxide blonde, standing in front of her decide it for her. Crossing her arms, she waited for him to explain himself further. With a hardened stare, he reluctantly answered, “I could report you to the Council, say you’re infertile. If that is the case, they will take the appropriate means to get rid of you. Then they would have the freedom to pass the Slayer line onto your sister.”

“My sister?!” Why her death was so easy for him fathom or why her sister’s pain was so easy for him to stomach. She couldn’t find the reason. “She’s sick.”

“Doesn’t matter,” he said with a coolness had made her nauseous. “She's perfectly able to reproduce.”

“I would rather stake you than to see you touch my sister,” she said with a firm voice. She meant it. She would rather the world go up in flames than to have her sister suffer further.

“I would like to see you try,” he growled back to her.

Crouching into a fighting stance, he sneered, “Now either shut up or fight me.”

She didn’t want to do either. And she hoped with all her being that his ability to voice her exact thought didn’t mean he had figured her out. With a sinister smile he finished., “You’re gonna run to your Watcher, aren’t you? You think he can protect you?! No, he can’t and he wouldn’t do it if he could. If you haven’t figured it out already, I run this show.”

Anger rose in the pit of her stomach as she tried to swiftly throw a punch to his nose. He was still too quick for her advances, grabbing her fist in his right hand before she could make contact with his face. Enraged, she threw her hands in the air and recoiled from his brief touch. It was the most intimacy she was willing to share with him. Turning her back on him as he continued to grin at her frustration, she walked out of the library, feeling a sense of defeat.

His laughter rang in her head as he snickered, “Don’t you enjoy lover’s quarrels.”

--

Rupert Giles had never been the type of man to be coy. He valued his ability to be as blunt as possible, and potentially confronting his problems head on. As a distinguished member of the Watcher’s Council he had excelled above all others to become watcher of his own very unique Slayer. As marvelous as his list of accomplishments sounded, Rupert Giles still contained a flaw. The ability to lie to the person he loved the most.“He does have a point,” he sighed, closing his Watcher’s Journal as Buffy took a sit at their dining room table. “If you fail to produce an heir within the next year or so, the Council will have no choice but to get rid of you.”

“And you would let them?” Buffy screeched back. He looked to his Slayer with a pained expression.“Buffy, You know I love you...”

“But?!” she interrupted, in disbelief. He wanted to say there was no ‘but’ to that proclamation; that he loved and there was no way he would ever let pain or harm come to her, but there were ways. He had a job to do, just as she had hers.“The slayer lineage is too important of a matter to easily push aside,” he persisted with hardness. “Most slayers don’t live pass twenty. Dawn has been sick in the hospital for months now. So what happens to the world if there is no slayer to protect it?”

Looking at the tears formulating in the ducts of her eyes, he tried to soften his tone; hoping that the seriousness of her situation dawned on her. “You know that’s a thought that cannot be tolerated. I know this is hard. So as your guardian – as your friend, I must plead with you to give him a chance. He was chosen for you, destined to be your mate. How many people can say that?”

And it was the truth.

No matter how Romeo and Juliet the situation seemed, Giles needed Buffy to realize that Riley wouldn’t play a part in it. Yes, it was hard, even for himself, to picture Buffy and Spike together as a couple. They were different in upbringing, the age gap brought an enormous divergence in maturity, and the differences in personalities were insurmountable. Over the years, he had come to view Buffy as his daughter. He loved her as if she were his own blood. And no rightful father would want his daughter touched by a man that clearly didn’t love her. Still, some higher power thought there was something more to it. And he was trusting that Buffy would be taken care of.

After deep thought, he knew what the couple’s problem was: they were both too stubborn. Spike seemed to think this was all about business, while Buffy diluted herself into thinking this was a situation of all games. It wasn’t a game or a gimmick she could push aside. The world needed her. What’s more, the world needed her and Spike together. There was adversity ahead –

“The Council has sent me notice of the Anointed One’s activities,” he said, pulling out a detailed report from his assorted folders. “He’s rising an army in Sunnydale even as we speak. If you don’t start to assort yourself with Spike and open up to the idea of him as your partner, the Anointed One is going to take advantage of it. Buffy?”

“Yes?” Her voice, so innocent, he felt like the devil for even having to ask.

“Will you offer yourself to Spike?”

She would hate him but – he wanted his slayer to live.


Chapter End Notes:
This is story requires creating a whole universe of supernatural. If there are any questions you may have write a review and I will try to answer those questions within one of the story's chapters. Enjoy.... once again, this story will get dark.