Chapter 2

“Hmm…this is nice,” Buffy whispered with a drowsy smile plastered across her face. Her eyes were shut softly; her body fully relaxed. Water surrounded her. It was the purest blue she had ever seen and she was encompassed in it, floating slowly through each wave without a care.

“You’re right, love. Could stay here, just like this forever,” Spike said in return with a warm grin.

“Yeah, forever sounds good.” Buffy turned on her side and wrapped her arms around his chest settling her head into the crook of his neck. His arms snaked around her in turn, as they drifted farther out to sea.

She wanted desperately to open her eyes, to look and see his gorgeous features smiling down at her with the devotion she knew they held, but something in the back of her mind was whispering to her not to. “He’ll be gone. Don’t do it. He’ll disappear,” so she listened and kept her eyes closed.

His hand glided slowly over her cheek in a gentle caress. He saw her eyes struggling to stay tightly shut and a confused look crossed his face. “Buffy, pet, open your eyes. Look at me…” His words faded away into the light breeze.

She wanted to look at him, so badly she wanted to stare and examine every inch of him with care because he was that precious to her. She wanted to commit every centimeter to memory and never let him go. So despite the urgent voices, she carefully opened her eyes. A look of pure awe and love shown on both their faces. The moment was there and she took it, bringing his face closer to hers and meeting his lips with a smile.

The mood shifted as their passion deepened, falling farther and farther into each other’s eyes.

Closing them once more, Buffy moved to finally kiss him, but the moment their lips touched she met nothing but air. Her eyes flew open to stare at nothing but a dark murky sea surrounding her. He was gone and she was alone.

The ocean around her got rougher and choppy as she tried to swim back, but to where she wasn’t sure. She called out his name, but heard nothing but a faint ringing sound. Buffy clawed desperately at the waves, still shouting his name as water flooded into her mouth and down her throat. He had left and she was drowning without him. The last thing she saw were the bubbles surfacing from her mouth as she sunk deeper and deeper into the sea.

*******************

One would think when people dream of themselves dying they would wake up scared, confused or any number of not so pleasant emotions, but Buffy was used to this. It was just another death scene in a long line of dreams where she didn’t make it, or was about to…not make it that is. Lately these dreams had involved him. It seemed her grief had only gotten worse.

Her heart ached, but just like everything else, there wasn’t time for it. And as if on cue the phone rang, startling Buffy. Glaring at the clock for the third time, she sighed. 7:00 A.M. ‘Two hours of sleep…I’ve run on less.” She thought longingly as she moved to answer the phone.


Spike stumbled on unsteady legs off of the barstool and moved past a large crowd of people making their way inside.

“Hey, watch ‘rself…mate.” Spike grunted out drunkenly with a slight slur to each word as he bumped into a sizeable biker looking fellow with a long gray beard. “My you’re an ugly one aren’t ya,” He was much larger than Spike by at least a foot; his face was scarred and his top lip seemed to be sewn up at the sides revealing a set of razor sharp teeth.

A snarl was instantly produced out of the demon’s mouth. “So…not of the human variety I take it…” Spike said with a slightly surprised yet drunken look. The demon looked as if he was about to attack but then changed his mind as he gave Spike a once over.

Sniffing the air around Spike, “Vampire...you’re not worth it,” the demon spat with disgust rolling off each word.

A sober Spike would have pushed the issue, feeling the need to prove his ‘worth’ with a good kicking of his ass, but in his drunken state Spike had other plans and let it pass. “Yeah that’s right, walk away…couldn’t take me if you tried anyways…bloody poofter,” Spike said mumbling incoherent curses all the way to the pay phone right outside the bar.

He was here. This was it. Spike was going to make the call he’d been obsessing over for the last 6 month. As he reached for the phone, he noticed his hand was trembling. “ Come on, Spike ‘ol boy,” Spike said trying to pep himself up, “It’s just Buffy…” The last words came out in a whisper, and even as he said them he knew they were a lie.

It was never just Buffy. She was always more than what she appeared to be and that was why he loved her. He bloody loved her so much it was killing him now. Every time he’d close his eyes there she’d be wearing that final look of love on her face, a gift to a dying man, he figured, but that wasn’t important now. Spike missed her so much, missed her smell, her touch, her taste, her laugh, her smile, hell…he even missed her punching him in the nose. Anything would do, as long as he could be close to her again.

And that wasn’t necessarily true either. He loved her, and wanted her to love him back, but he wasn’t stupid. He didn’t expect a girl like her to carry a torch for him, but being one to never give up Spike set forth with newly fueled courage and grabbed the phone.

He remembered her number like the back his hand from months and months of dialing it only to second guess himself and slam the receiver down angrily. Spike had gotten it from Angel as soon as he had become corporeal again although not one call had ever gone through. He was tempted a few times to phone her and not say a word, only to hear her voice, but on a second thought he decided a creepy caller in the middle night to the Slayer could be easily tracked considering the resources she probably had on her side and that he didn’t want.

Pulling himself out of his own reflection, he grasped tighter on the black receiver and placed it to his ear. With a deep sigh filled with doubt, he began to dial her number.


Buffy hesitated staring at the ringing phone. Who would be calling her? Just three hours ago she had been on a conference call with basically everyone except for Andrew, who, she just realized, would be back anytime now wacko slayer in toe, so maybe it was him. Giving up on her over use of thought, she reached for the phone and placed it softly to her ear.

“Hello.” The words came out hoarse from sleep, and also slightly annoyed from being woken up at all.


As much as he tried to calm himself, Spike’s hands continued to shake. The number was dialed, yet nothing happened. Completely perplexed, he glared at the phone. Then it hit him, ‘insert coin here’; the words jumped in his mind. “Bloody hell,” He must have been completely plastered if he had remembered it was called a payphone, but didn’t remember he had to pay.

Slipping a few coins into the machine, he began dial the number again. If his heart could have beaten, it would have burst right out of his chest. He couldn’t take the waiting and he hadn’t even finished the number yet.