Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Just a quick thanks to all who were kind enough to review!

This chapter is a little more Bangel than Spuffy for plot reasons, though our favorite peroxide vamp is in it!

Disclaimer: any coincidental names of persons living or dead is strictly, well...coincidental. I still don’t own anything.
CHAPTER TEN

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Buffy moved slightly slower as she moved to attack Angelus but she didn’t wait for the pain in her abdomen to subside. She knew that if she delayed her assault for even one moment, the elder vampire would kill her, or worse, turn her into his slave.

The Slayer knew that she didn’t want to be controlled by him for all eternity as his childe. That was not of the good.Her mind flashed back to Spike and his counter offer.

"You’d never have to let anyone else, not even your destiny as a Slayer, dictate to you what you should do," he had said.

As she remembered the moment they’d shared tasting each other’s lips, Buffy had to admit that being by the blond vampire’s side was a tempting proposition.

**Bad Buffy!** She admonished herself. Hadn’t she told Spike that his offer was out of the question? The Slayer allowed herself one brief fantasy of the younger vampire lying beneath her, her legs raised; her inner walls between them clutched around his very firm manhood.

**VERY bad Buffy!** She told herself again, banishing the memory before Angel got a good idea of where her mind was straying. A good, swift kick to her lower back told her that her ex boyfriend didn’t see any tell tale signs of her thoughts or desire, or, if he did, he simply didn’t care.

“Hey, Buff…” Angel taunted, “you’re way too quiet for someone who’s gonna die in the next thirty seconds. What’s the matter? Did I stun you into submission?”

He grabbed a nearby hockey stick and lunged for the Chosen One, but Buffy, who’d fully recovered by this time, grabbed the would-be weapon from its opposite side.

“Nope,” she quipped. “Could you please get over yourself? You are so of the boring!”

Angelus’ ridged face contorted with fury from Buffy’s mocking. The Slayer rained punches on the master vampire’s his face. He grunted, trying to defend himself. Before Angelus could give Buffy a taste of her own medicine, several bullets streaked past the pair. Out of the corner of her eye, the girl saw a shadow on the wall...and she felt a familiar stirring inside of her body.

Beside her, Angelus’ nose twitched as he smelled something. The pair’s questions were put to rest when the figure holding the rifle showed himself—Spike.

“Spike?!” Buffy exclaimed aloud, “SPIKE is the rifleman who killed all those demons?”

For the first time in a long time, Angelus tensed a little beside her. Outwardly, he projected absolute calm; inwardly, his body shook with fear.

Several other bullets rained down on the duo, followed by a jeering, “Slayer? Peaches? I know you’re in there! C’mon, let’s dance!”

With practiced, deliberate slowness, Spike entered the side of the gym that was opposite where his prey was.

Buffy and Angelus dove for cover amongst the bleechers. The Slayer spied the locker room and hoped that she would make it there and find a way to disarm Spike before it was too late.

XXXXXXXXXXX

“I’ll look inside the General Book of Magic and see if maybe there’s a clue to love spells,” Miss Calendar told the students and Watcher.

Wanting to be helpful despite his disbelief, Giles piped in, “Willow, perhaps you may wrest some information out of your dread machine.”

Willow turned on her laptop, then showed Giles and Miss Calendar all the data she found on love spells and their possible removal.

“This is so stupid!” Xander protested. “Why are we even bothering with this? It’s not like we need a spell removal, since we’re not under any spell!”

“Right,” Willow said sarcastically, “’cause Buffy and you are so right for each other.”

Oz put in his two cents. “Actually, I was thinking that Buffy’s more a musician chick than a Harris groupie!” the werewolf replied.

“Let’s not go into this again!” Giles shouted.

He peered at the data screen Willow had pulled up. Moments later, he pointed to a reversal spell and tilted the laptop toward Jenny.

“That may help, but let’s look for something that also fits this specific case,” the computer teacher said.

She also thought about the dressing down she would be giving the Slayer, to say nothing about how Buffy’s friends would feel after everything was back to normal. The gang continued looking at the tiny screen as, outside, the pre-dawn sky was forming.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Buffy jerked her head in the direction of the locker room, signaling to Angelus. He saw a discarded football and tossed it where Spike was standing. The blond vampire turned just enough for the Slayer and the elder vampire to sneak into the other room.

Angelus pulled some of the lockers in front of the door. Both settled down to wait, the Slayer whipping out her cell phone so that they had light in the darkened room; the vampire reaching out with his senses to see exactly where his grandchilde was and how close he was to finding them.

Buffy shined her tiny light above her head to see if there were any open windows. A cursory look indicated that the sky was reddening, announcing the dawn that wasn’t far behind. She also saw a utility closet and whispered, “quick! In here!”

Angelus and the Chosen One went inside the small room. There was barely enough room for the bigger vampire’s bulk and her, but they turned sideways. Buffy could feel the chill radiating off of his body. Angelus frowned as he got a whiff of her sweet Vanilla essence.

“Is he still out there?” Buffy asked, still trying to come to grips with the fact that Spike had killed all of the demons and was stalking them with his rifle.

She was also trying to understand why she’d helped Angelus, who definitely would try to kill her in the space they now occupied.

The elder vampire listened and tuned his sense toward the other vampire. “Yeah,” he reported, “my idiot grandchilde is still out there, and he’s getting closer!”

Buffy remembered the layout of the room. If she could keep Angel busy long enough to get to the open windows she had seen and climb out one of them, she could escape.

She tuned her hearing on Spike, but could not hear his footsteps. After using the light in her cell phone to illuminate Angelus’ now human face, the Slayer faced the vampire, instructing, “Okay, a few rules: you do what I tell you, I might let you live; you don’t do what I say, I’ll definitely stake you! Deal?”

Angelus rolled his eyes, but soon muttered, “Deal.”

Buffy shined her light along the floor, looking for any kind of weapon they could use against Spike.

“We’ve gotta find something to disarm him with,” she said softly, searching. “Make yourself useful: vamp out and see if you can spot anything. Your eyes are better than mine.”

Angelus did as the Slayer asked, murmuring, “Just what I always wanted: to be locked inside a smelly closet with my ex while my crazed lunatic of a grandson is shooting at us! Maybe Dru really DID drive him insane!”

Buffy was tired of Angel and Spike, as well as any other monsters. She had not gotten any sleep all night, and she didn’t want to hear her ex’s commentary on the state of all things evil right then.

“You could always go out there!” she quipped. “Giles told me your kind can withstand bullets!”

“Well, did Mr. Square One also mention that bullets hurt like hell?” Angel snapped.

“Gee, for the price of admission, I’d toss you out there myself to see that show: Spike puts Angelus in the Hospital: Act One, Scene One!” the Slayer said sarcastically even as she filed that additional information away in her mind.

“Now I know why you were so desperate to get my grandchilde and everyone hot and bothered for you! You didn’t have any friends except for the...what is it now...grand total of maybe five losers, so you embraced the black arts!” Angel accused in a low voice.

“That wasn’t why I did it!” Buffy whispered, her face turning white with her anger.

“Besides,” she added, “is it so hard to think all the guys in Sunnydale just simply want me?”

“Yeah, Buff,” Angelus retorted, “it kinda is!”

Buffy went back to looking for anything they could use to their advantage. When she saw Angel merely standing with his arms crossed, the Slayer glared at him.

“You could at least try to stop him!” she urged. It was then that the Slayer saw a momentary look of fear crossing Angel’s face.

With a touch of false bravado, Angelus told her, “Wouldn’t do any good.” Ironically, Angelus felt a little bit proud of Spike’s ingenuity, though he would never tell anyone that!

“Why?” Buffy asked.

“I saw the rifle briefly, and smelled the bullets as they discharged,” he responded. “That weapon is a Spirit rifle. It was made by the spirit of Wyncheaster himself! It’s magic allows the user to not only wish it into existence whenever the user wants it to materialize, it also fires as many bullets as the person firing it wants!”

“So, as long as Spike is thinking about how many rounds he wants to shoot us with, and as long as he’s able to conjure up that thing, he could fire on us ‘til the Apocalypse?” Buffy clarified.

“Something like that,” Angelus said grimly. Buffy looked determined.

“Then we have to knock him out long enough to disarm him and get out of here!” she said. Before the pair could make another move, the outer door was jerked open. Spike’s footsteps came closer to the closet door.

**Trapped!** Both vampire and Slayer thought.