‘I live to hold communion
With all that is divine,
To feel there is a union
'Twixt Nature's heart and mine;’
George Linnaeus Banks


With that in mind, Buffy had sought out Willow that evening. Giles had been nowhere to be seen, but Willow had suggested that she could start coming to Ashdown with her and Dawn to help set up the research centre. Buffy had actually laughed out loud at that, her first carefree moment since she’d arrived in England. Buffy and research – they really weren’t mixy!

Buffy’s first view of Ashdown Park had taken her breath away. She’d been unprepared for the size and quiet dignity of the property. The beautiful 19th Century sandstone and tile country house stood serenely nestled in parklike grounds amid the lush green folds of the Ashdown Forest. The main building itself was large, but beautifully complemented the impressive historic gardens in which it was set. And walking through the big wooden front doors, Buffy had felt a feeling of peace and security settle over her. The big, old English building had felt like … home.

To a small town So-Cal girl like Buffy, wandering through the rooms of the house felt like walking through a museum. The reproduction style furnishings, fabrics and light fittings were opulent and ornate. Yet somehow the house seemed warm and cosy and welcoming, like it had been waiting for a huge group of super strong young women to move in.

The feeling of belonging had helped to further strengthen and stabilise Buffy’s emotional state. And it had been great to get out of the hotel and start mixing with others, even if it was mainly just Dawn and Willow at this stage. She and Dawn had worked on cleaning, sorting and shelving the many boxes of books, while Willow was busy researching protection spells that could be set around all three Council buildings. Giles wanted to ensure that nothing like Caleb’s handiwork could ever happen again.

Then, on Buffy’s third day at Ashdown, Willow had asked if she and Dawn would like to accompany her for a day trip over to Devon. She’d wanted to spend some time with the coven she had stayed with last year, going over the finer details of the spell she was working on. Buffy had thought it a good next step in her ‘return to normal’ programme, so had nervously agreed. It was a three and a half hour journey to Devon, so they’d needed to set out early the next morning.

Mornings had never been a good time of day for Buffy, even worse since the suckiness of waking up from angry, begging Spike disintegration. However, that morning the alarm had pulled her out of the dream just as she and Spike had connected, hands ablaze, staring into one another’s eyes. She’d awoken with a huge smile on her face, feeling safe and cherished. Despite feeling a little nauseous, it was a much happier, more positive Slayer that had showered and donned jeans and t-shirt that morning. After she’d grabbed a jumper and a quick bite to eat, Buffy had been good to go, joining Willow and Dawn down at the front door to wait for their transport.

Matthew Morris, one of the third year students from the Watchers’ Academy, a tall, handsome, dark haired young man, had agreed to drive them. Willow had already met him, and after she’d carried out the necessary introductions, they were ready to set out. They were using a late model sedan, one of several vehicles Xander had leased for the use of Ashdown’s new residents.

Buffy had settled into the back seat with Dawn, feeling serene and almost content. They’d eagerly watched the towns, small villages and beautiful English countryside flash past them as Matthew drove. The landscape was stunning, so green and lush, sectioned off by flowering hedgerows and dotted here and there with strange shaped rock formations. It was such a contrast to the dry, coastal terrain of the West Coast that for a moment she had been overwhelmed by an attack of homesickness.

The journey had seemed to pass quickly and just on 11 o’clock they’d pulled into a country lane just outside the little village of Hatherley in North Devon. Minutes later Matthew had parked the car outside a two-storey sandstone farmhouse that was surrounded by various barns and sheds and a small cluster of stone cottages. Standing at the front door of the farmhouse stood an attractive older woman, her long burgundy coloured hair spilling over her shoulders in waves, a warm smile lighting up her face.

Stepping out of the car, Buffy had followed Dawn over to the cottage. Willow had torn across the yard, throwing her arms around the woman. She’d turned to back to face the two sisters as they’d reached the door.

“Buffy, Dawn, I’d like you to meet Althanea Goodrich. Althanea, this is Buffy and Dawn Summers.”

Althanea had smiled at them, peering closely into their faces before taking one each of their hands into hers and saying, “Welcome to my home. Please come in and make yourselves comfortable. You too, Matthew. It’s nice to see you again lad. I was sorry to hear about your father. He was a good man and didn’t deserve to go in that way.”

“Thank you Althanea. It’s nice to be back here. You’re looking as scrumptious as ever woman. We miss Father, of course, but Mum is slowly adjusting. I think he would be most sad about missing out on all of the changes that Rupert is putting in place. These are exciting times for the Council and I think Dad would have been at the forefront of it. It’s just a pity that the Council had to be blown off the face of the earth before we could start to bring the organization into the 20th Century let alone the 21st,” Matthew had chuckled wryly.

Althanea had led the four of them into a cosy sitting room. After several cups of hot, sweet tea and scones, smothered in home made jam and thick clotted cream, Althanea had asked Matthew to show Dawn and Buffy around the farm while she and Willow worked on the spell. The members of Rede Coven ran the farm and produced crafts and produce for the local markets. Quite a number of the coven members lived and worked on the farm itself, so Matthew had spent the afternoon introducing the girls to various people who happily demonstrated their skills and showed their wares to the girls.

Matthew had seemed to be looking for someone, but it wasn’t until they had reached Althanea’s kitchen door that he’d called out to a young girl walking across the yard, before excusing himself and dashing off to meet her. Buffy had followed Dawn inside back to the sitting room to join Willow and Althanea, who had just finished up their work. They were treated to a delicious afternoon tea, and then it had been time to set off home. The four women made their way out to the car. Matthew was leaning against the car chatting quietly with the girl he’d called out to before. As they’d drawn nearer, Althanea had laughed.

“Ah ha young Matthew, no wonder you so kindly offered your services today. Buffy and Dawn this is my oldest granddaughter, Rowan. Willow I’m sure you and Rowan remember each other. I see you’ve been keeping Matthew entertained,” Althanea had teased.

“Whatever Grammy,” Rowan had grinned cheekily. She was small, similar in height and build to Buffy herself, with long thick dark hair and pale skin. She had greeted Willow warmly, then turned to say hi to Dawn before facing Buffy. She was probably only a year or so older than Dawn, but Rowan’s deep brown eyes seemed older than time. She’d stood looking intently at Buffy before taking a step forward to grasp Buffy’s hands.

“It’s-it’s an honour to met you Buffy.” Rowan had faltered. “I hope we will get to work together in the future. Take care of yourself and don’t lose heart. Believe in your dreams,” she’d said more firmly. With that she’d stepped over to her grandmother, murmuring quietly in her ear, before walking around the car to where Matthew stood.

Buffy had been frozen to the spot, warmth and hope surging through her body. Neither, Willow nor Dawn, had heard Rowan’s message and were busy thanking Althanea and climbing into the car, leaving Buffy standing there on her own. Then, Althanea had been standing right in front of her, holding her hand.

“Buffy, my granddaughter tells me that you are blessed. She reads auras and can tell that you are troubled. But ... I think we shall need to speak further. I shall see you on Sunday. Rowan and I are travelling up to Ashdown Park to help Willow with the protection spell. Maybe we shall get a chance then. I think it may be very important.” Althanea had smiled gently then stepped back so Buffy could enter the car. After a final round of farewells they were off.

Buffy shook her head and stood up. She carried her cup and plate through to the kitchen and popped them into the dishwasher. She felt much better now, the nausea settled and the desperation of her nightmare melted away in the light of day. As she climbed back up the stairs, hurrying to catch the bathroom before any of the others woke up, she wondered again about Althanea’s message and Rowan’s advice.

She had of course seen both of them since, when they travelled over to help Willow perform the protection rituals. The Sunnydale crew had moved into their beautiful new home the previous day. But, although Althanea and Rowan had also stayed at Ashdown, preparing and performing three rituals in two days, two of them at dawn and the other at dusk had exhausted the two women, especially the older Althanea. At Ashdown and at Sackville, the spells were tied to four large trees standing in the grounds of each property, chosen so that if connected, they would form a substantial perimeter around the buildings.

They had used the spirits and energies of the trees to tie the spell to the Earth, Willow, Althanea, Rowan and Giles each laying their hands upon their tree and mentally connecting to one another so they could chant the words of the ritual simultaneously. The ritual itself was based upon a simple house blessing, but modified to extend its range and exclude the use of any ill intent, either consciously or sub-consciously, by either friend or foe, anywhere within the perimeter. Once set it was designed to draw its energy from the Earth, making it very powerful and capable of sustaining itself as long as the trees stood.

There were no trees around the Bromley offices, but the foundations were fortunately made of natural stone. They had performed that ritual at first light, luckily observed by only a few early morning risers, who must have thought it odd to witness a person standing at each corner of the building, hands pressed against the stone blocks, eyes closed as they chanted quietly.

Following this final ritual, Matthew had driven Althanea and Rowan straight back to Devon. It was their home and Althanea in particular had needed the quiet tranquillity of the countryside to help restore her energies.

Buffy had been disappointed, but sympathetic. She was unsure though when she would see either of the women again, and impatient to hear what they had to say. The second half of the week had sped by as they’d settled into their new home.

Buffy quickly showered and changed. Giles had dashed in last night looking tired but excited letting them know that he’d set a Council meeting for this morning at 10 o’clock. He had big news and wanted to share it with everyone at once. Buffy just hoped it wasn’t too apocalypsy!