Buffy huddled beneath the covers, feigning sleep when she heard the predictable creak on the third stair as her grandparents ascended.

"I’ll just be a moment, I’m going to check on Buffy," she heard her grandmother whisper.

The door opened softly with a gentle squeak and a small sliver of light that just registered through her closed eyes. She felt the slight dip as her grandmother sat on the bed and touched her shoulder.

"Buffy? Did you have a good time?"

She responded with a muffled sleepy mmmphf, not wanting to reveal her swollen lips and still flushed face to too much scrutiny. Her grandmother took the hint and with a gentle kiss to the barely exposed crown of her head, rose and walked to the door.

"She get home alright?" Her grandfather’s voice was soft, but audible in the hallway as her grandmother stepped out the door to join him.

"Poor little thing’s worn out."

"It was a busy day."

"Well, I’m just glad to see her spending some time with young people. Sometimes I think we do try to keep her too much too ourselves out here," her grandmother said.

"Well, maybe we should call the Thurbers, invite them and their boy to dinner?"

She could picture the thoughtful look on her Gran’s face. "Perhaps so. She’s at that age when boys become so important. And Owen is a nice young man, very polite. It might distract her."

"Distract her?" Her grandfather was clearly puzzled.

The sigh in her Gran’s voice was that of a long-suffering female. "From William, dear."

"What’s wrong with William?"

"Nothing, dear. He’s just not right for our Buffy."

"I think William’s a fine boy." Her grandfather’s voice sounded surprised.

"I know that, and he’s been a big help. But he’s dangerous." Buffy stiffened as she listened to her Gran’s reasoning. "It’s not that I don’t like William, I do. But don’t you see? William could charm the rattles off a rattlesnake. He’s the forbidden fruit, the older man, and if we allow Buffy to nurse a crush for him, he’ll only hurt her, even if he doesn’t mean too."

There was a sigh from her grandfather, and a mild protest as they moved down the hall and out of her range of hearing.

"I suppose you know more about these things that I do, my love. But I really don’t think it’s like that. Buffy’s still so young."

She turned over then and pulled the covers down as she breathed out her own sigh. She’d worry about all that tomorrow. Nothing could ruin tonight for her, she thought as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good morning!" Buffy bounced into the kitchen.

"Well, someone’s chirpy this morning. You enjoy the fireworks with Owen?"

"Oh, um, yeah, they were pretty."

"Such a nice boy. The Thurbers are good people."

"Uh-huh." Buffy’s head was buried in the refrigerator as she searched for the milk. "Mrs. Thurber’s really sweet, we stopped by their house for a minute on our way to the lake. She said something about you being put in charge of the centennial."

She turned with the bottle in her hand, grinning as she watched her grandmother blush, just a bit.

"Well, it’s nothing really."

"Nope, now don’t you downplay that. I know what a big deal that is. And you’re the committee head. That’s awesome, Gran!" She circled the table and gave her grandmother a tight hug.

"Well thank you, dear. I hope I can do a good job with it. It’ll mean a lot of work, we really should have started months ago."

"When is it?"

"Well, the kick-off is in September, but we’re planning for events all year."

"Cool. Let me know if I can help, ‘kay?"

"Thank you, Buffy, I may just do that. I think we’ll need to create some programs and such, and I believe your grandfather’s computer has some sort of design program on it. Do you suppose you could help with that?"

"Absolutely."

"I’ve got to start working on the committees. That Jennings woman is insisting that she should head the distinguished speakers list, but really, I think she wouldn’t be able to nab a speaker if she used a butterfly net. She just thinks it’ll make her more important."

Buffy laughed. "I’m sure you’ll get it worked out."

Her grandmother nodded. "I suppose I’ll get to work calling around and rounding up people. Are you working with your grandfather today?"

"I had planned to. Though we should be finishing up the project soon. It’s nearly ready to send off to the professors at UCLA."

"That’s good, perhaps he can rest some then. I’m glad he’s consented to let someone else manage the harvest this year."

"You talked him into it?"

"Yes, he finally agreed. William will be gone by the actual harvest, but he’s agreed to help with the advance work, that made your grandfather feel a bit better about it."

Buffy crunched another bite of cereal as she glanced out the window. Where was Spike? He usually came in about this time to grab some coffee before heading out to the greenhouse. She started to ask, but remembering the whispered conversation she’d overheard last night, decided against it. He was probably already outside.

"Well, I guess I’d best get out there." She rinsed her bowl and placed it in the drainer, then dried her hands.

"Very well, dear, I’ll see you at lunch." Her grandmother was already immersed in the list she was creating and Buffy knew she was excited to have this project to focus on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

He heard the door open before he saw her, and watched as she searched the greenhouse before calling out, "Gramps? Spike? Anyone here?"

"Back here, pet."

She was grinning as she hurried to the door of the corner office where he sat at the computer. "Hey."

"Hay’s for horses, love."

She stuck out her tongue, her eyes lighting up at the banter. "Whatever, oh master of the English language."

"Least I don’t butcher it like you do, Miss Mixy. There’s no "y" on that word, shortcake."

"Mmhmm. Where’s Gramps?"

"Went into town for a bit."

"Oh he did? So we’re all alone out here?"

"Well, your grandmum’s about, I expect."

"Oh, she’ll be busy for a bit."

He leaned back, allowing himself to really look at her for the first time since she’d appeared in the doorway. She was glowing this morning. There was no other word for it as she watched him, eyes aflame with something that made him both hard and helpless as she advanced on him.

And then just as she got to the edge of the desk, her nerves seemed to falter and she seated herself on the edge of the wooden corner, offering him a shy smile before becoming seemingly fascinated by the screen.

He had to grin, the strange mix of bravado and trepidation was just another part of her charm and danger. "Spreadsheets get you hot, love?" He reached for her and swung her around to sit in his lap. "Here, give you a better view if you find it so fascinating."

She let out a small gasp as she found herself seated on his legs, her arm unconsciously looping around his neck as she steadied herself. She lost all interest in the screen as she met his grinning eyes.

"Good morning, just Buffy."

"Good morning."

He kissed her then, a soft, almost chaste meeting of the lips that lingered and grew. He set the pace, soft kisses, languid touches, nothing that could get out of control . . . at least he hoped. With a final kiss he pulled away to watch her eyes slowly flutter open, her pupils dilated and hazy as she slowly refocused on him.

"Wow."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Wow?"

She blushed a bit. "Um, yeah, that’s a heck of a good morning."

"Glad to know I impress." He was about to continue when they both heard the creak of the greenhouse door open and Buffy slid off his lap and back to the desk corner as her grandfather carried in the mail he’d retrieved.

"Morning, Buffy, Spike. How are the spreadsheets looking?"

He returned to the work for the day, but couldn’t help feeling that everything seemed just a little brighter than before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You want to go for a swim at lunch?"

She looked up from the report she was transcribing. "Gramps not need us?"

Spike shrugged. "He thinks we’re in good shape and I agree. We need to finish a few more of the analyses, but we need another week of data before we can do that, so we’ve got a bit of a lull. He suggested we just work half-days this week." He frowned. "Course, this might having something to do with your grandmum as well. Is she in charge of some project?"

Buffy laughed. "Uh-huh, she’s been named the head of the Sunnydale Centennial Committee, and she’s taking it pretty seriously. She rope him in?"

Spike grinned. "Must have, he went up to the house for a minute and came back muttering something about that damned festival and your grandmother volunteering him along with herself."

Buffy laughed. "Yeah, she’s got me booked for some stuff too. You better watch out, you’re probably next on her list."

He groaned good-naturedly. "Didn’t know I was signing on for committee work when I took this job. But would you like to go for a quick swim . . . cool off for a bit?"

The way his eyes darkened as he looked at her made her temperature rise and she suspected that she’d be more likely to heat up than cool off. That didn’t stop her from saying yes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Grammy! What’cha doing?"

Her grandmother looked slightly exasperated. "Trying to sort out all these forms and put together some kind of phone list for everyone."

"Can I help?"

Her grandmother glanced up from the papers. "Absolutely. You can look up the phone numbers I don’t know and add them to the list. But Buffy?"

"Uh-huh?"

"After you’re dry?"
Buffy looked down and realized her still wet swimsuit was dripping all over the kitchen linoleum. "Oops, sorry, Gram, I’ll be back in a minute."

She raced up the stairs and tossed the swimsuit over the shower rod to dry before sliding into dry clothes and wringing her hair out again. She paused for just a minute to note her flushed cheeks, bright from the sun and Spike’s kisses as they played in the river. She smiled to herself, savoring the memory and then headed back to her waiting grandmother.

"Okay. Buffy dry and ready for action." She gave a mock salute and pulled out her chair.

"Alright, here’s the phone book, just look up the names there aren’t numbers beside. I swear, I didn’t realize we had so many new people in town."

Buffy bent to her task and started to flip through the jumbled list. "Gram, which O.Thurber is the right one here? The one on Sandy Creek or the one on Shady Lane?"

Her grandmother peered over the top of the list. "Oh, that’d be Thurber Sr., on Sandy Creek."

"Okay, got it."

"That’s Owen’s grandfather."

"Oh?" Buffy’s tone was noncommittal as she flipped to the next name.

"Yes, nice folks, the Thurbers. Owen’s father is going to actually bring in the harvest for your grandfather this year." Her grandmother’s voice was warm. "I was thinking we ought to have them over for dinner sometime soon."

Buffy bit her lip and flipped another page. Well, set-ups didn’t get much more blatant than this. "Well, gosh, Gram. I think it’d be great for you to have them over. You and Gramps don’t have enough company. In fact, maybe you should even go out somewhere with them."

"Oh, I think a home-cooked meal would be so much nicer. You’ll help us entertain them, won’t you Buffy?"

Well, how could she refuse, really? She’d just have to be sure she stayed as far from Owen as possible that night. "Sure, Grammy, you know I will. Just let me know when they’re coming."

Her grandmother looked pleased and Buffy bent to her task as the phone rang.

"Buffy, would you be a dear and get that? I’m just not up to talking to anyone else right now."

"Not a problem." Buffy grabbed the cordless receiver from its cradle. "Summers residence, this is Buffy."

She was surprised to hear her mother’s voice on the other end of the line. "Buffy, how are you, sweetie? Was the Fourth good?"

She mouthed to her grandmother, "Mom," then headed for the back porch to settle into the swing.

"It was good, Mom. The usual Sunnydale celebration, but fun." She couldn’t quite keep the edge of excitement out of her voice, despite her neutral words.

"Oh, sounds better than just good. Did you meet a boy?"

"Mom! Please."

Her mom’s laugh was a warm chuckle that made her a little homesick across the line. "I think that’d be a yes, but you can tell me all about him when you get home."

"How are you? Did you have a good visit with Aunt Arlene?" Buffy waved at her grandfather as he headed up the stairs and into the house.

"I did, I’m still here in fact. I had some time built up, and I was able to get the gallery covered."

"Well, I’m glad. You’ve been working too hard, Mom, you need a break."

"I’ll be back in Los Angeles before it’s time for you to come home, though, and I was hoping we could sit down and talk then, Buffy."

There was something, not ominous precisely, but intrusive on the tranquillity of her current situation in those words that made Buffy feel a lump rise in her throat. "Is there something wrong, Mom?"

"No, no, honey, in fact, I think for the first time in a while, things are finally looking up. But everything’s still very preliminary right now, so I’d rather wait until you get home before we talk, okay? But, I promise, I’ll tell you everything then."

"I guess, Mom." Reluctance was evident in her voice, but her mother took the grudging acquiescence.

"Then that’s settled. So what have you been up to?"

Buffy settled further into the cushions of he porch swing to chat, and pushed down the little flicker of disquiet that her mother’s comments had caused.