Chapter 12: Careful What You Wish For!


5 hours later: 12 pm. Friday

Buffy watched the scene unfold before her in the hallway. She was tempted to break it up but realized this was bound to happen eventually and she never really cared much for Cordelia anyway, “I think we should break up. There isn’t much between us.”

Xander took Cordelia aside holding her arm in his hand, “You can’t do this to me. This is the day before Valentine’s Day and you are breaking up in front of the school! That’s not normal!”

Cordelia frowned as Buffy watched the scene play out even further and noticed a crowd had started to gather around. She heard Cordelia’s voice appear braver as she said, “Well I want more to our relationship than making out Xander. We need to see other people. I need to return to my roots where I belong. We just don’t fit together and I’m tired of slumming it to be with you.”

With that Cordelia frowned looking sad as she walked away as the hallway busted out in applauds. Buffy walked up to join Xander pushing people out of the way and then waved them on, “Nothing to see here. Go away.”

The crowd went away but not before casting a few insults his way, “Way to get dumped, dude.”

Xander frowned as Buffy heard Harmony’s annoying voice ring out of the crowd of people, “You should learn a second language so that even more girls can reject you.”

Xander’s frown deepened as he spotted someone through the crowd and disappeared from sight leaving Buffy standing there bewildered wondering what had just happened. One minute Xander was there and the next he was gone not even letting Buffy say a thing to cheer him up. She shrugged realizing Xander must not need him as much as she thought he did and went to her next class wishing the day was over with already.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@


3 hours later: 3 pm. Friday

Buffy sighed as she listened to Giles talk about various Valentine’s Day gifts that Angelus had left for his prize women through the years. She was dying to get out of there. It was 3 and she wanted to find Spike to invite him to the dance at the Bronze tomorrow night. She glanced up as her thoughts were interrupted by Xander’s voice, “I have a plan! We use me as bait.”

Giles stated clearly surprised, “You do?”

Buffy blinked feeling very confused, “You mean make Angel come after you?”

Xander shook his head looking defeated, as he muttered, “No, I mean chop me up into little pieces and stick me on hooks for fish to nibble at ‘cause it would be so much more fun than my life.”

Giles rolled his eyes knowing it was going to turn into a high school drama act as he closed himself up in his office. Buffy frowned as she whispered, “I saw you and Cordelia.”

Xander nodded, “I think the whole damn school did. My life sucks right about now.”

Buffy felt something strange come over her as she glanced at Xander stating, “That’s her loss.”

Xander frowned as he watched Buffy climb over the table to sit in front of him, “You know what I’d like? Why don’t you and I do something together tonight? Just the two of us.”

Xander’s eyes got big as he asked, “Really?”

Buffy nodded twirling her hair in a seductive fashion, “Yeah. We can comfort each other.”

Xander grinned getting an idea as he said, “Well, would lap dancing enter into that scenario at all? ‘Cause I find that very comforting.”

Buffy lowered her finger to her neck unbuttoning the first button on her shirt, “Play your cards right…”

Xander’s eyes got big as he barely stuttered out, “Okay, you do know I’m Xander right?”

Buffy looked down at his pants as she wiggled closer to him with her butt barely on the table and her jeans spread tight as she split her legs to move even closer to him almost resting her bottom on his pants, “I don’t know…I just heard you and Cordy broke up, and I guess I was surprised at how glad I was.” She leaned forward starting to play with his shirt, “It’s funny…how can you see someone every day but not really see them. You know?”

Xander chuckled nervously getting up off the table to find himself stopped by Amy. Buffy frowned feeling defeated as she picked up her books to go home to figure out a way to win over Xander still feeling weird about the whole thing.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@


5 hours later: 8 pm. Friday

Buffy stood up determined to go find Xander but first she needed a weapon. She stomped down the stairs grabbing a jacket and her favorite axe as she raced to the library to get what she needed. Inside the library, she could hear voices but she snuck in grabbing an axe and left without anyone noticing her. If she couldn’t have Xander, no one would. She exited the library falling in step with a ton of other girls who also had weapons.

Meanwhile Xander had run to Buffy’s house not realizing Joyce was out of town. He banged on the door to the house asking to be let in only to be snatched by Angelus. Xander screamed loudly hoping someone could hear his cries. Xander tried to back out of Angelus’s grasp as Angelus held him by the collar dragging him up on the roof. He held him off the edge of the roof only by his collar asking, “Where’s Buffy?”

Xander stuttered, “I don’t know man. Look I don’t know.”

Angelus got angry throwing him down off the roof onto the ground where he jumped down after him. Angelus grinned at Xander, “Perfect. I wanted to do something special for Buffy, actually to Buffy, but this is so much better!”

Xander kneed Angelus in the crotch trying to get away but he didn’t even seem to feel the blow as he flipped Xander onto the grass in the lawn. He grabbed Xander’s hair pulling his neck back, “If it’s any consolation, I feel very close to you right now.”

Just as Angelus was about to bite, he was thrown back against the house and Xander exclaimed, “Buffy!” only to be turned around finding himself face to face with a vamped out Dru who appeared very hungry and determined to be with him which made him very nervous.


Chapter End Notes:
Ok some of this relates to the episode Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (2x16). It floats in and out of that episode only as it is important and pertains to the story. This episode is kind of redundant but it's necessary to fill in for the next episode which is entirely my creation. Enjoy!