Author's Chapter Notes:
This of course is still unbetaed but if you are interested let me know.

I'm hoping the story is liked well enough. Some parts of it are iffy and there is one other part which is retold but altered and mostly short that is like the first chapter but that's like 3 paragraphs total out of 32 chapters so I'm not too worried.

Hope you enjoy it.

Oh and this chapter doesn't relate to the Buffy episodes as it's completely me added. The following chapter has a tiny dialogue that starts off the same (you might recognize it but probably not as it wasn't important) but goes OOC pretty fast and the third chapter again doesn't relate.

Chapter 3: What It Means To Be Claimed!


5 hours later: 12 pm. Sunday

Buffy secretly flipped through the pages of the books Giles had handed her, looking for information about claims. Willow stole the book from her handing a book to her that had a page open. Buffy started to read,

“Claims are marriages within the vampire clans. Vampires don’t often participate in this practice any more as it is eternal and permanent. It was a practice used in ancient times as a way to produce permanent family structures. Minions would be marked by their masters to show ownership and to prevent betrayal and mates would be chosen by the vampires in order to have a partner in battle. With time, this was less used because although it was the vampire’s way of telling the world that his or her mate is off limits, it resulted in fewer advantages rather than disadvantages. It is however binding and does not allow either partner to kill the other without dying themselves. This might sound good to humans but it also meant if someone were to kill the vampire in question, its mate automatically dies therefore this made the practice less used. There are rumors about other results of the claims but have never been tested.”

Buffy glanced at Willow who was studying her with worry in her eyes. This looked really bad and worse permanent. Buffy closed the book holding the place with her finger as she glanced around to make sure no one noticed what they were up to. Giles was sitting in his office reading, Cordelia was nowhere in sight and Oz was in rehearsal. Xander was lost in thought holding a donut while looking through a book. No one seemed to notice the girls’ interaction so Buffy picked up the book and flipped a few more pages reading again,

“Claims came in two forms: unreturned and returned.”

Buffy felt hope as she was sure she had an unreturned claim. Perhaps it wouldn’t be binding without the returned part. She continued to read studying the book hard as she bit her lower lip in nervousness.

“Unreturned means that “Mine” was said but “Yours” was not. This type of claim will fade in time making no results take place. The exact time is unknown but it is safe to assume within 2 weeks, the affects will have disappeared leaving behind only a mark as the only reminder if ever existed. Returned claims are binding and permanent. This occurs when “Mine” is said and “Yours” is answered. The death of one mate will result in the other. There is one other form of claims but no direct information has been given and it has been discounted as a rumor only.”

Buffy found herself passing the book to Willow taking back her original book allowing Willow to read. Willow then looked up at her just as Giles entered the room with a book in his face. Xander quickly finished munching on his donut sighing, “I’m going to head out of here. I got some work to do this weekend in terms of homework.”

Buffy rolled her eyes knowing he meant he wanted to go spend time with Cordelia but said nothing about it. He had spent Sunday morning researching with her so how could she complain. It wasn’t his boyfriend who had turned into a vicious killer. She picked up another book determined to learn what she could about all this claim business and Angelus.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@


8 hours later: 8 pm. Sunday

Buffy seemed to have a permanent frown fixed on her face as she yawned glancing over at Willow who was buried deep in the book she was reading. Whatever Willow had found, it apparently interested her. Buffy glanced over at the book and Willow paused her reading to look up at her, “I found something fascinating. This book is all legend though. I’m not sure how accurate it is. Giles told me it was mostly tales from unreliable sources but occasionally things have turned up to be true from it.”

Buffy nodded as her eyes followed where Willow was pointing to the center of the page:

“There are rumors that claims can be challenged by other vampires and therefore removed or perhaps exchanged. There is no information at this time about how this is done or if it can even be done.”

Buffy was startled as she heard Giles come up behind her. Reacting quickly, Willow quickly turned the page of the book back to Angelus’ family as Giles stated, “How’s things going? Finding anything interesting?”

Willow shrugged, “I’m learning tons of information that I did not want to know about how Angelus tortured his victims by raping the children followed by the mother and then the father before killing the children making the parents watch.”

Giles cleared his glasses, “Interesting….you girls should be getting home.”

Buffy agreed taking the book that Willow was reading with her as she yelled back towards Giles, “I’ll do a quick patrol on my way home.”

Giles nodded, “Be careful Buffy.”

Buffy yelled back, “Always am” before she disappeared out of the library.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@


An hour later: 9:30 pm. Sunday

Buffy rested her head on the gravestone as she waited for the vampire to finish getting himself out of the grave. It was boring her as tears filled her eyes so she was flipping through the book looking for more information as she waited. Finally the vampire emerged only to have Buffy dust him on the spot. She dusted off her pants before sitting back on the gravestone reading.

She was lost in her thoughts as the tears fell as she thought about Angel. She was upset at how she could be responsible for changing him into such a monster. Most girls are worried about one-night stands but not because the guy they loved, lost their soul and wanted to kill their friends.

She sniffled slightly as she thought about their last night together. It was so beautiful until she woke up. She remembered the words he said, “Yeah like I really wanted to stick around after that.” She shook her head as more tears fell. She couldn’t have been that bad. She was a virgin sure but he achieved his moment of happiness, which made him into a monster.

Buffy was so lost in thought that she barely even noticed the sound of wheels in front of her before Spike questioned, “Studying while slaying? Is that even a good idea? Say some beastie sneaks up on you deciding to take a bite out of you?”

Buffy frowned as she wiped away the tears that had fallen, glancing up at the annoying vampire in front of her, “You worried about little ole me? You shouldn’t be.”

Spike rolled his eyes, “No pet, I’m not worried about you just thought you might be worried about yourself. Seeing how you got more vampires now that Drusilla and Angelus are feeding and making minions left and right, I would have figured you’d be more bloody cautious.”

Buffy shrugged ignoring him wanting to get back to her depressing thoughts. Spike wheeled closer eyeing the book on her lap, “That’s mighty strange reading for a little girl.”

Buffy put her hands on her hips balancing the book on her lap as she stated in an annoyed voice, “I’m not little.”

Spike looked at her up and down appraising her body before he chuckled, “I guess not so much but you know Angel has a thing for young virgins. That’s why he prefers nuns and high school students like you pet.”

Buffy sniffled slightly as tears filled her eyes as she remembered Angelus’s words to her saying she wasn’t that good. The words echoed through her head again but she didn’t want to cry in front of Spike. She retorted, “I bet you’ve raped young girls as well.”

Spike shook his head, “Only one dark beauty in my past. She’s my own and only and I’m loyal even if she’s not.”

He growled quietly to himself as he remembered the way Dru had stripped off her dress allowing Angelus to take her right in front of him. Spike had wheeled out of the room so fast that he didn’t even realized he was in Buffy’s cemetery until he saw her sitting there. He glanced up at her noticing she was staring at him so he cocked his head to the side remembering her book, “So what you reading the Legends of Ancient for? As I said before that’s difficult reading and not that accurate.”

Buffy studied him before stating, “What do you know about claims?”

Spike laughed, “I doubt that book is accurate about those. That was written by a human watcher boy who knew nothing.”

Buffy closed the book resting it still on her lap, “Well why don’t you tell me how to get rid of it?”

Spike eyed her for a moment before realizing she was serious and he started laughing out loud. He was laughing so hard Buffy had to stand in front of him putting her hands on his shoulders. She shook him slightly as to make him stop and look at her. Buffy frowned as he wiped his tears away from his eyes and whispered softly her voice sounding desperate, “What’s so funny? Can’t you tell me how to get rid of it?”

Spike shook his head explaining, “That luv is why it’s so funny. You can’t remove it. Nothing will remove it…well save a challenge but there’s no one around to do one of those anymore. Only two vampires left on this earth that could challenge it, Dru or me. I guess you could go resurrect the Master and try to convince him to do it for you…”

Buffy eyes filled with fear as she gripped the book making her knuckles turn white. Spike cocked his head to the side, “Issues with the Master?”

Buffy whispered softly looking down at her feet, “He killed me.”

Spike’s eyes got big as he said, “Well I must say pet, you are looking mighty fine for a dead girl who isn’t a vampire. Just how did you pull off being so bloody alive if he killed you?”

Buffy shook her head trying to forget the fear his name brought, “He only drained me partially leaving me to drown. Xander did CPR.”

Spike replied with a simple, “Ahhh.”

Buffy glanced up at him hearing that sound and returned to her questioning, “So if I can’t get rid of the claim, what am I supposed to do?”

Spike shrugged repeating his statement from the night before, “I told you, I’d run far away and hope Angel forgets you exist and Slayer by the way, I’d stay indoors for at least 2 more days and not see Angel. If he sees that fresh mark on you, he will know what he did and really hurt you. I’d leave.”

Buffy eyed him amazed by his statement. He didn’t care about her not really but the statement almost seemed like he did. She stood up in front of him carrying book in one hand as she asked one last question, “If I could get a master vampire to challenge it, what would happen to the claim?”

Spike looked down at his hands, which were resting on his lap, “It disappears and the master vampire has a choice to claim you for himself or let you go free. But like I said pet, it has to be someone in the Aurelius line and thanks to you, we are mighty scarce. With Angel taking out Darla and you taking out the Master, just Dru and I left.”

He shrugged as he turned to roll away as she yelled after him, “Would you do it?”

Spike laughed as he turned around, “Even if I would which I wouldn’t, I’m in a sodding wheelchair, pet. Not bloody likely to end well is it?” He continued to roll away as Buffy frowned determined to talk to Willow about it tomorrow.