Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy finds herself in a deadly situation.

A huge thanks to my lovely beta All4spike for getting this chapter back to me so fast your the bomb!. Also a big thanks to Edgehead (Mel) for the awesome banner.
Chapter 12

Deadly situations

Buffy was worried. She had made plans with Spike to meet the night before to have dinner and a movie at her place, but he had been a no show. It just wasn’t like him not to show up. If something had come up he would have called and the fact that he didn’t had her very worried that something had happened to him.

Even though she had not slept the night before due to waiting for him, she started her morning at the magic box asking if anyone had seen him. Unfortunately no one had, so she had then headed to Dawn’s house.

She found Dawn there alone getting ready for school. Dawn was worried too of course, not just because Spike was missing but it turned out that Faith had failed to return home too. Heading to the front door Buffy promised Dawn that she would find Faith, trying to reassure her that everything would be okay, but when she opened the front door she was greeted with Faith heading up the front path looking very worn out.

“Buffy” Faith gasped, surprised to see her and trying desperately not to let guilt flood through her.

“Faith, where have you been? I’ve been worried,” Dawn said, moving past Buffy to look at Faith who was now standing on the front porch.

“Sorry, rough night,” Faith sighed.

“Demon?” Buffy asked anxiously. Faith look up at Buffy, hating the concern she could see in the other slayer’s eyes.

“Vampire” Faith breathed “Just couldn’t seem to bring him down,” she lied, hating herself a little bit more.

“But he’s dust now right? I mean, you’re here and okay,” Dawn asked anxiously.

“Yeah I came out on top.” Faith smiled, cringing inwardly. Normally she would be quite pleased with her witty punt but now it just made her feel a little sick. Moving past the two worried women, she moved inside.

“Have you seen Spike?”

Faith froze at Buffy’s question. “Ah.... n..no why?” she asked, slowly turning to face her.

“He was meant to meet Buffy last night but he was a no show,” Dawn informed her.

“Maybe he just forgot,” Faith said, trying to sound flip.

“Yeah right not likely.” Dawn laughed softly.

“What is that meant to mean?” Faith asked, trying not to let her annoyance shine through but feeling that undeniable rage burn through her that seem to consume her since her return.

“Sorry sis. I know you have been gone a while, but you remember Spike’s little crush on you?”

“Little crush?” Faith replied her voice almost coming out in a hiss.

“Yeah well, he is totally in love with Buffy, which I guess would make you happy. You always hated the way Spike followed you around.” Dawn didn’t realize just how deep her words cut her older sister.

“Dawn.” Buffy interrupted, Dawn may not have noticed how Faith’s face twisted in anger and hurt, but Buffy did. “That’s enough.”

“What?” Dawn asked, confused. “What did I do?”

“Nothing. It’s fine,” Faith snapped, moving towards the stairs. “I’m sure Spike’s fine. He’s just like a cockroach, just when you think he is gone, he shows up again,” she spat as she disappeared upstairs.

“Right whatever,” Dawn sighed, turning to face Buffy.

“I’d better go. I’ll see you tomorrow for movie and ice cream day?” Buffy smiled trying to hide her concern at Faith’s reaction.

“Totally.” Dawn smiled. Kissing her gently of the forehead, Buffy headed off to her next destination.

Ten minutes later, Buffy arrived at Spike’s front door. She knew daytime was when vampires usually slept, but she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong and knew she would never get any rest till she saw that Spike was all right. Knocking on the door loudly, she waited. A few seconds later the door opened to show a topless Spike.

“Buffy,” he whispered, looking down, too ashamed to look at her.

“Hey, big fight last night?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Well we had plans. You didn’t show and now you have scratches all down your chest,” she replied, pointing at the red scabs where he knew Faith had gotten very rough the night before. Feeling the need to cover himself he reached for his top, quickly pulling it on.

“Yeah sorry about that, luv. I got into it a bit.”

“Okay, I was just worried.” Feeling hurt, Buffy sighed and turned to leave “I’ll leave you to it then.”

“Buffy, wait!” He panicked, grasping her arm and forcing her to turn to face him. “I’m sorry, luv. I’m just really wiped out and I did intend to come last night. I had the movies and food all ready but by the time I’d finished, it was almost morning.”

“Must have been the night for it.” Buffy smiled.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh well I just saw Faith, she was just getting in. Big fight with a vamp that wouldn’t go down.” Spike sighed, thankful that Faith had kept her word. “Anyway I’ll let you rest. Are you going to patrol with me tonight?”

“Of course luv, got to make up for last night.” He smiled, despite knowing inside that he never could.

“Great! I’ll see you then.” She smiled, kissing him softly on the cheek before bouncing down the stairs and heading for home. Spike touched his cheek, her sweet kiss still lingering. He felt ashamed and sick to his stomach for his stupidity. Shutting the front door, he wished he could go back in time and tell Faith no.

One month later

Buffy had been called to the magic box. According to Spike’s Intel, there was a new big bad in Sunnydale causing trouble, not just for the human population, but also for the resident demons That had Buffy extra worried as a demon who happily turned on its own kind was a worry. Walking into the magic box, she saw that Faith and Giles were sitting at the table talking.

“Ah, Buffy. You’re here. Good, now we can start.” Giles smiled, offering her a seat. “Now, Spike has got some information from the demon community...”

“They gave it up willingly?” Faith asked, surprised.

“Yes. They want this demon stopped as much as we do,” he replied. “It has so far caused two human deaths and killed four demons. Its touch causes a sudden and fatal fever in its victims. A normal human doesn’t stand a chance but supernatural beings can last up to thirty minutes before death comes.”

“Can it be treated, this fever?” Buffy asked, concerned.

“If you get to it in time, but the fever hits normal humans so fast that they die within minutes.”

“That’s a problem,” Buffy sighed.

“Yes I couldn’t agree more. I think it best if you are together on this one,” Giles said anxiously.

“Well there goes my night of relaxation,” Faith sighed.

Buffy couldn’t believe her ears. Innocent human people were out there dying and all she was worried about was that her plans had been spoiled. She fought the urge to reach over and smack Faith in the mouth. She suggested, “How about I take this one?”

“Buffy I don’t know if that is wise.”

“Look, it’s one demon right? So if he is as big and bad as you say, it’s better for Faith to sit this one out. If I don’t get him tonight, she will be at full strength tomorrow night.”

“Perhaps you’re right.” Giles sighed.

“Great. Let me know how it goes.” Faith smiled, jumping up from her seat and all but running out of the shop.

Giles sighed, taking a seat across from Buffy and removing his glasses to clean them. “A few weeks ago, I truly thought she was coming around. She seemed happier. But now...”

“She just needs time Giles. She’s been through so much. I can relate, and until she’s feeling more her old self I can pick up the slack.” Buffy smiled.

“Time. Yes, I suppose you’re right, but I think I should accompany you tonight.” he said replacing his glasses.

“Not a chance. Sorry Giles, but I won’t risk it.”

“Well, perhaps Spike....”

“Giles, I’m fine. I’ve been doing this a long, long time. I’ll cover up top to bottom and if at any stage I feel as if I just can’t win, I promise I’ll run away like a little girl.” Buffy laughed.

“Very well,” he reluctantly agreed. “But please Buffy, I beg you to be careful. I couldn’t bear it if you got hurt.”

“Love you too Giles.” She smiled. Giles laughed softly at this as he watched her head out.

Buffy went home first to change into a pair of long black tights, black long sleeved top, joggers and a beanie. Heading into the first cemetery of the night, she scanned the areas she moved through the night. The air felt colder than usual, and the cemetery seemed darker. She wondered if she had made the right call not to bring Spike with her.

“Get it together Buffy. This thing is out here killing people. It’s time to put a stop to it,” she said to herself, trying to bring her confidence up. Then she saw a demon hovering over a young girl. She ran as fast as she could, kicking it in the side so that it fell with a thud to the ground. She knew right away that she had her demon. She could feel the heat radiating off it in waves.

“Did it touch you?” she asked the frightened girl, pulling her to her feet.

“No,” the girl replied, her voice cracking with fear.

“Good. Get out of here, run!” she yelled, as she saw the demon getting to his feet. Once she saw the girl sprint out of the cemetery, she pulled her sword free. The demon advanced upon her fast and hard, punching her in the stomach. Thankful that she had changed, she collected herself swinging her sword and slicing the demon’s abdomen. Then she kicked it hard in the chest, making it fall backwards.

She didn’t want to give this beast time to get up again so moving fast she straddled its waist and slammed her sword down, impaling the demon straight through the chest. Unfortunately, before she could react, the demon cupped her bare cheek.

“See you in hell, slayer,” she heard it gurgle before slumping lifeless.

Getting to her feet, she watching it ooze into a puddle of goo. That was when she felt it. Her skin started to burn as her head began to pound. Heart racing, she felt as if she was being burned alive from the inside.

She remembered what Giles had said about supernatural beings lasting longer than normal humans, but she knew it would not be much longer. Looking around frantically she tried to get her eyes to focus.

“Spike,” she whispered as she started running in the direction of his apartment. He lived only a few minutes from the cemetery so as she felt the burn intensify, she just hoped she could make it there.


Chapter End Notes:
So any good???? let me know :)