Author's Chapter Notes:
Buffy and Spike talk before Buffy makes a life changing choice.

A huge thanks to my lovely beta All4spike for getting this chapter back to me so fast! Also a huge thanks to Edgehead (Mel) so the awesome banner, i love it so much sweetie!!!!!!
Chapter 16

Broken souls

Spike knew Buffy was home, he could sense her moving around her house. After Faith had left, he had headed straight for Buffy’s, knowing he needed to explain what had happened and why he had never told her about it.

Taking a deep unneeded breath, he headed towards the front door, pausing for a moment before he knocked. After a few moments, the door swung open to reveal Buffy.

“Spike, what you are doing here?”

He could hear the icy edge on her tone and could tell by the look on her face that she didn’t want to see him. “Can I come in, luv?”

She looked around for a moment as if she was searching for a reason not to let him in. Sighing, she nodded before moving aside and letting him enter. Closing the door behind him, she saw him eye the two suit cases by the staircase.

“You’re leaving?” he asked as he turned to look at her, his face covered with shock and fear.

She knew she should tell him the truth but she figured he’d lied to her, why couldn’t she lie to him?

“It’s not what you think,” she sighed, moving into the lounge room as he followed her. “A friend of Giles needs help with some big bad and apparently there is a prophecy that says only a slayer can stop the threat, so I’m going to help out. I should be back in a week tops.”

“Oh.” He nodded. “Buffy I spoke to Faith...” he started, desperately wanting to explain, but she quickly cut him off.

“Can we not do this,” she almost begged, turning to walk away from him.

“Luv please...” he begged, grasping her arm then feeling the sting of hurt when she jerked away from him.

“I am not your luv,” she hissed. “You know, I don’t know what I’m more mad about, the fact that you lied to my face that morning when I asked what had happened to you, or that I had to hear the truth from Faith.”

He tried to explain, “I never meant to hurt you Buffy, it was a mistake and it meant nothing, that’s why I didn’t tell you.”

“I don’t care that you and Faith slept together. We weren’t together then so you didn’t owe me any loyalties, but you should have been honest with me. I think I’ve earned that much,” she all but yell at him.

“You’re right. I should have told you the truth. I was just so afraid of losing you,” he confessed.

“I get why you thought you needed to hide the truth from me, but if you knew me at all you would know the one thing I can’t stand is the people I care about lying to me.” She sighed, walking away from him. “Anne lied to me about how the magic was consuming her, Pike lied to me about being attacked that night and look how that ended.” She turned to face him, tears pricking her eyes.

“Pet...” He started moving towards her, overwhelmed with the need to comfort her, but she stepped back, a silent warning not to touch her.

“I need some time alone to think, to figure out how I feel about all of this.” Spike nodded knowing there was no point arguing with her. “I leave town tomorrow morning,” she informed him.

“But you’ll be back in a week, right?” he asked, desperately seeking reassurance.

She swallowed a lump in her throat knowing she should be honest, it was after all what she believed in, but he had hurt her so much that she couldn’t bring herself to tell him the truth. “Right” she replied, looking down.

“Then I’ll see you in a week.” She nodded, still unable to look him in the eyes. She felt him move closer cupping her cheek and kissing her forehead with so much love it made her chin tremble and tears run down her cheeks. “Just remember, I love you so much and I’m so sorry,” he whispered before turning to leave.

Buffy didn’t look up ‘til she heard the front door click closed. Looking at the empty space where Spike once was, she crumpled to the floor as her body was racked with sobs.

Early the next morning, Buffy pulled up in front of Giles apartment. Slipping from behind the driver’s seat, she headed to the front door. She had to tell Giles the truth. He was her watcher and she couldn’t bring herself to just disappear on him, leaving him no doubt worried about her well being. She knocked but was quickly greeted by Giles.

“Buffy is everything all right?” he asked, clearly concerned.

“Ah, yeah. Actually, can we talk?”

“Of course,” he replied, ushering her inside before closing the door behind her.

Buffy turned to face him, wanting to get right to the point. “I got your message last night about the friend in L.A”

“Ah, yes. Good. Angel said he would deal with it alone, but the prophecy said only a slayer could defeat the threat. I would have sent Faith but... well, I don’t think she is quite up to it just yet.”

“It’s fine, Giles. I can handle it.”

“Well, Angel said it should only take a few days.”

“Um, actually I’ve decided it’s... well it’s time for me to leave Sunnydale,” she informed him.

“What?” he asked, stunned.

“Yeah. I mean Faith is back now and its silly have two slayers in one town when I could be helping out elsewhere.”

“I don’t understand. Where this is coming from? I thought you were happy here.”

“I was, I mean I am it’s just....” she started, but Giles quickly cut her off.

“Did something happen? Was it Spike?” Buffy looked up, shocked. “I’m not blind Buffy. I can see there is something between you two.”

“There was, but there’s not anymore.” she admitted.

“Did he hurt you?” Giles asked, unsure if he wanted to know the answer.

“Not in the way you think. The chip is still working fine.”

“But he did hurt you.” She nodded, tears pricking her eyes.

“Oh Buffy I’m so sorry.” Giles sighed, moving forward to wrap her in a warm hug. “I believe this requires ice cream of some kind,” he said before stepping back a little awkwardly.

“It’s okay Giles. Ice cream will come later, but I have to go,” she laughed a sad smile on her face.

“Buffy, please stay. I’ll speak with Spike. Perhaps we can work out an arrangement so you don’t have to see each other,” he suggested.

“No, you know I’m right about this Giles. It’s wasteful having two slayers in one town.”

“Well yes, but you have formed friendships here and what about Dawn? She is so close to you.”

“I’ll call Dawn and explain everything to her. She will understand and besides I can always visit.” Giles nodded, knowing it was useless to argue with her. She had clearly made up her mind. “Anyway, all I ask is that you don’t tell anyone where I went and once I decide where to stay, I’ll let you know.”

“Of course, I promise.” He nodded as she moved for the door.

“I’ll miss you,” she whispered, turning back to look at him before walking out into the morning light and leaving Sunnydale behind.


Chapter End Notes:
Hope you all liked the new chapter, let me know ; )