Chapter 18

Spike vaguely heard the screams behind him as he crashed through the front door, yelling Buffy’s name. He took the stairs two at a time, until he came across a closed door that he assumed to be Adam’s. He kicked the door down, only to be met with a terrified Buffy being held in Adam’s grasp, a knife at her throat.

“Well, look who decided to join us,” Adam spat, shaking his head in disgust. “The girl completely rejects you, and you still show up to save her? That’s pathetic, you should want the bitch to die after the way she treated you.”

Spike noticed the blood dripping down Buffy’s arm, clenching his fists at the thought of that bastard cutting her, but he tried to remain calm. “Let her go. The police are waiting outside the house. You’re already in a lot of trouble, don’t make it worse. No one has to get hurt.”

Adam grinned, pressing the blade harder against her neck. “I’m as good as dead if I walk out of here. I might as well take someone with me.”

Spike had to think quickly, but before he could, he noticed the look in Buffy’s eyes change. Before he could yell at her to stop, she was stomping hard on Adam’s foot, elbowing him in the stomach while she was at it. Spike used that to his advantage, making a grab for her and shoving her to the floor, taking the other man down with him. He punched Adam repeatedly in the face, not letting up until the bloke was good and bloody, and then immediately went to Buffy’s side, taking her in his arms.

Once Buffy was safe, the dam broke and she sobbed against his chest. “I’m so sorry,” she claimed, looking up at him. “I didn’t mean anything I said.”

He tried to soothe her, kissing every inch of her face. “I know you didn’t, baby. It’s all over now.” If Spike had his way, he would never let her go again, but some people just couldn’t stay down. He noticed Adam start to rise, aiming a gun in their direction. With quick reflexes, he changed their positions as the gun went off, hitting him in the shoulder.

“Spike!”

All hell broke loose when the Sunnydale police department finally burst through the door, taking Adam back down. He was cuffed and dragged out of there, struggling along the way.

“He’s been shot,” Buffy told them.

Two officers helped Spike up, leading him out of the room and carefully down the stairs. “We’ll take him to the nearest hospital. You should come along, ma’am. You’re hurt as well, and we would like to get your statement.”

“I’ll take her,” Angel spoke up.

Buffy threw her arms around her ex-boyfriend, glad to see another familiar face. The last thing she wanted was to be away from Spike now, but she let them put him in a police car, and then drive off soon after.

Angel placed his arm around her. “He’ll be okay, Spike is strong. You need to get that checked out,” he said, indicating the bloody gash on her arm.

Buffy didn’t care about that at the moment, she hardly felt any pain. The only thing that mattered was her William.


* * * * *


“There, as good as new.”

She smiled up at the doctor who bandaged her arm. “Thank you, is my boyfriend okay?”

He returned her smile. “I would say that you are both very lucky. His arm will have to be in a cast for at least a month, but we got the bullet out, and no real damage was caused.”

Buffy sighed in relief. “Can I see him?”

“You should be resting, but I suppose that can be arranged. He’s two rooms down.”

She nodded and thanked him again, then headed over to Spike’s room to see that he was wide awake, his arm in a sling, while his other one was flipping through the channels on the small hospital screen. Buffy’s eyes teared up at the sight, which was when he finally took notice of her, a smile forming on his face.

“Hello, cutie.”

Those two words were enough to completely let the tears fall. She ran over to him, being careful of his injury as she wrapped her arms around him. “I was so worried.”

Spike kissed the top of her head, brushing the hair out of her way. “It’ll take more than a bullet to get rid of me. Are you okay?”

She laughed through her tears. “You’re the one who got shot and you’re asking if I’m okay?”

He shrugged, trailing his fingers down her arm. “I don’t mean physically.”

“I’m not going to let this get to me. I let one psycho nearly destroy my life, and I’m not about to go down that road again. If anything, this whole thing just made me stronger. I’m not the same weak, naive girl I once was. I know that now.”

Spike smiled, never feeling more proud of her. “That you aren’t. You’re a brave, beautiful, amazing woman, who I love more than anything in this world. You had me bloody terrified when I thought you really wanted to break up. I kept imagining my life without you, and I couldn’t do it. I already spent ten miserable years alone, I can’t do it again.”

She rested her head on his chest, listening to the sound of his heartbeat. “You won’t have to.”

“Man, someone sure is lazy. What? Are you just going to stay in bed all day?”

Spike rolled his eyes at Angel’s idea of humor, a grin gracing his features. “Love, could you help me out?”

Without saying anything, Buffy grabbed a pillow off of his bed and whacked Angel across the face with it.


* * * * *


“Get comfortable, boys, you’ll be in here for a long time. I hope you enjoy the company,” the officer said, closing the cell door behind him.

Adam sat across from Warren, who was glaring daggers at him.

“One fucking thing I ask you to do, and what happens? You get yourself thrown in here, while Summers is out there having the time of her life. She’s probably laughing at both of us right now; you could have at least killed the little whore.”

He glared right back. “Hey, I shot her boyfriend, you’re lucky I even did that. We wouldn’t be in this mess if you didn’t get caught in the first place. Who the hell rapes little girls, and then videotapes it? You were just asking to get busted. I tried to do you a favor, don’t blame me if it didn’t go your way.”

Warren banged his head against the wall. “This is a fucking nightmare. The one good thing about being in here was that I didn’t have to deal with you every damn day.”

“Well, tough shit,” Adam snapped. “Now we’re stuck together, so you better get used to it.”

That wasn’t likely to happen, Warren knew that if he had to spend one minute alone with his brother, he’d end up killing him. Younger siblings were nothing but pests, they followed you around and wanted to be just like you, it got on his fucking nerves. Oh, yeah, he’d kill him, and it wouldn’t make one bit of a difference. He was already locked up, anyway. What more could they do to him?