Chapter 7

“It’s not a big deal, Elizabeth. I had no idea they planned to take me to a strip club. I was blindfolded, and I didn’t want to hurt their feelings by leaving.”

She rolled her eyes. “Why is it that every guy needs to see strippers before they get married? Why not a hooker while you’re at it, one last fling before the nuptials?”

“Hey, it was just for fun, I had no intention of doing anything with those dancers. I was a perfect gentlemen, just ask Spike. He got more action than I did, I felt uncomfortable the whole time. All I could think about was you,” Angel explained.

Buffy found that a little hard to believe, and felt a twinge of disappointment at the thought of Spike being with one of those strippers, but it wasn’t her place to be upset about it. He could do whatever the hell he wanted, it meant nothing to her, but Angel wasn’t finished.

“What about your night out? Do you mean to tell me that it was completely innocent?”

She nodded. “You’re right, I was hardly innocent. We had a big party at my house. A stripper showed up dressed as a cop. I had him read me my rights, and then I took him upstairs to fuck his brains out, while my friends waited patiently for us to finish.”

Angel was appalled that she could speak to him like that, this wasn’t his sweet Elizabeth. “What has gotten into you? Are you just trying to pick a fight right now? You know I didn’t do anything wrong last night. Why are you acting like this?”

Buffy shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. She was angry, but not at him. She was angry at herself, and taking it out on Angel seemed like the only thing to do at the moment, but he didn’t deserve that. “I don’t know. Just forget it, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Buffy left his house before he could stop her, not wasting a second before driving away.


* * * * *


Spike was surprised to find Buffy on his doorstep, moving out of the way to let her inside.

“To what do I owe this pleasure?” he asked, closing the door behind her.

She took in a deep breath. “I don’t know why I’m here. I just had a huge fight with Angel and needed to get away. The next thing I knew, I was in front of your apartment.”

He nodded. “What was the fight about?”

“God, it was so stupid. I got on his case about going to that strip club, when I don’t even really care. I know he didn’t do anything, but I just got so mad. I hear you had a good time, though.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “I wouldn’t say it was exactly my idea of fun. Some bloody bint tried to get her claws in me, but I turned her down. She wasn’t really my type.”

Buffy had a feeling that wasn’t the whole reason, but decided to let it go.

“So, what did you and your girly mates do last night?”

Buffy shrugged. “Nothing, they wanted to take me out, but I chose to stay home instead. I didn’t feel like doing anything. It just all hit me how sudden this wedding is. I’m nowhere near ready for it. I don’t know what I was thinking when I chose to get married in a month, I must have been crazy. Angel’s mother is a complete tyrant, she doesn’t believe in small weddings. She nearly had a stroke when Angel told her that’s what we were doing, so now she’s constantly getting involved and changing everything, not bothering to ask how I feel about it. I just want this whole thing to be over with.” She sat down, laying her head on the back of his couch.

Spike could tell how utterly exhausted she was, and just wanted to take her in his arms, but he wouldn’t dare. Instead, he sat down next to her, being sure to put enough space between them. “Has Angel said anything to her about taking over?”

Buffy gave a short laugh. “Please, he still does pretty much everything his mother says. He hasn’t stood up to her in twenty-eight years; I don’t see that changing any time soon.”

Spike rolled his eyes. Typical, didn’t Angel realize this was his and Buffy’s wedding? They’re the only ones who should be calling the shots. If Spike was marrying her, he would do everything in his power to make it the best day ever for her. “I don’t want you to take this the wrong way, but if you’re having any doubts about marrying him, then maybe you shouldn’t be doing it. You’re not happy, pet, anyone can see that.”

“But I want to be,” she whispered, looking over at him. “I want to be with someone who loves me.”

It was now or never. “Then be with me, Buffy. End this now, and we can have a life together, whatever you want. I know I messed up in the past, and not a day goes by that I don’t regret my actions, but I never stopped loving you. Whenever I see you with Angel, or when you talk about the wedding, I feel my heart break a little more. I’ve tried to be supportive, but it’s killing me. I don’t make a habit of breaking up relationships, and if I thought for one second that you were truly happy with him, I would walk away right now and let you have the happiness that you desperately deserve, but I know you’re not.” Spike wiped one of her tears away, taking her hand in his and giving it a light squeeze. “I am so in love with you.” He kissed her then, putting all of his emotions behind the gesture, and more importantly, she was kissing him back. He trailed his lips up her face, pecking the tip of her nose, her closed eyelids, and then making his way back to her luscious lips, letting her tongue massage his. Spike pulled her bottom lip into his mouth, gently nibbling on it, delighted at the sounds of her soft moaning. His phone rang suddenly, and Spike silently cursed himself for not putting it on vibrate.

That was all Buffy needed as she jerked back to reality, jumping off the couch and quickly moving away from him. “I’m sorry, I can’t do this. I shouldn’t have come here.”

Spike watched with a heavy heart as she ran out of the apartment, finally letting his tears fall, the phone still ringing in the distance.