Chapter 2

She came back to the living room, her blonde hair now pulled up in a pony tail.

“Where’s Angel?” he asked to make conversation.

“He had to make a phone call,” Buffy responded, glancing around the room and purposely avoiding his gaze.

Spike rolled his eyes when he noticed what she was doing. “I find it hard to believe that you’ve never seen this house before. It’s not that bloody fascinating.”

Buffy turned to him with a glare. “Compared to you, I would say it was.”

He grinned. “It’s good seeing you again, Buffy.”

“Too bad the feeling’s not mutual.”

Spike nodded, looking her up and down. “It is still Buffy, right? Or do you just go by Elizabeth now? As I recall, you hated that name.”

“Angel likes it; he said it was sophisticated and beautiful, so that’s what he calls me. But if you must know, yes, I still go by Buffy.”

He graced her with a genuine smile. “That’s good to know. You’re really getting married, huh? It makes sense; you always wanted that one day.”

“Right, and you didn’t,” she practically spat. “Angel told me a lot about his friend ‘Spike,’ of course I had no idea he was talking about you at the time. He said how much of a womanizer you are, that you’re never satisfied with just one person. I guess you finally got everything you’ve wanted.”

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “Look, Buffy, about what happened with us…”

She held a hand up, cutting him off. “We’re not doing this right now. It was ten years ago, obviously we’ve both moved on and there’s no sense reliving the past. You broke my heart, I won’t deny that, but you were right. We never would have worked out. I see the person you’ve become, and I never would have been able to love you. If we ended up together after high school, it wouldn’t have lasted very long. We both wanted different things, you were right to end it. When you told me that you wanted to see other people, I was hurt. I know I was your first girlfriend and you wanted to see what else the world had to offer, but I actually thought we would always be together. God, I was so naïve then, but I’m not anymore. I get it now, and I don’t hold a grudge. I hated you for a while, but I’m over it. I’m marrying a wonderful man that I love, someone who has never let me down. I couldn’t be happier.”

There was something in her tone that had Spike believing otherwise, and he knew a fake smile when he saw one, but decided against saying anything about it. “Well, I’m glad for that, you deserve it. Angel’s a good bloke.”

“Nice to know that you approve,” he said, coming back in the living room.

She wrapped her arms around him. “We were just catching up.”

Angel noticed the far away look on Spike’s face, focusing back on the woman at his side. “Is everything okay?”

Buffy gazed up at him. “Yeah, it will be,” she responded, leaning up to kiss him on the lips

Spike shook his head, needing to get away from the obvious display of affection. “I’m gonna get going now, leave you to your privacy.”

“Thanks for stopping by. We’ll be at the Bronze tonight if you wanted to join us,” Angel told him.

He nodded. “I’ll keep that in mind.” With a wave, Spike left the house and headed over to his car, not wasting any time before driving away.


* * * * *


Spike got home twenty minutes later. He threw his duster to the floor and stomped on it, kicking a lamp over in the process. He took a deep breath to try and control his temper.

“Bloody moron,” he cursed himself.

Everyone who knew Spike thought he had it made, the bachelor pad, a different woman every other night, but in reality, he was beyond miserable. The reason why he hadn’t committed to any of them wasn’t because he didn’t want to, it was because no one could compare to Buffy. Ten fucking years since high school, and she was still all he thought about. He had a box full of her pictures under his bed, including a few things that she gave him. Spike left her for all the wrong reasons, and had her believing that what they had didn’t even mean anything to him, which was so far from the truth. And now it really was too late, not only was she about to be married, but it was to his best friend of all people. If it was with anyone else, Spike wouldn’t mind breaking them up and taking back what was rightfully his, but that wasn’t the case here. For years he thought about looking her up, asking for a second chance, but there was no possibility of that now. Even if Buffy wasn’t engaged, she never would have given him another chance. The look on her face when she saw him again nearly broke his heart. The love she once felt was no longer there and Spike deserved everything he got, but there was one thing that gave him some hope. When Buffy said she was happy, he detected a lack of truth in her words, that maybe it was all a front and she wasn’t as happy as she pretended to be. Spike loved Angel like a brother, but some things were just too important. If she wasn’t truly happy, then he would find a way to use that to his advantage. The plan changed now. Spike would get his girl back, and no one was going to stand in his way.


* * * * *


Buffy stared at her reflection in the mirror, hardly recognizing the girl looking back at her. Without even realizing it, tears sprung to her eyes. Everything she told Spike was a complete lie, her heart wasn’t mended, and seeing him again just brought all the pain back. Buffy truly loved Angel, but at this point, she was just settling for him. She dated a few guys after William, one treated her like crap after they slept together, saying how she wasn’t worth a second go, another was involved with drugs, among other things, and one was an abusive bastard, both physically and emotionally. She still had the scars to show for it. Buffy was starting to think there were no decent men left in the world, until she met Angel. He was there when she needed someone most, her saving grace. Angel was sweet and treated her with respect. When he asked her to marry him, the obvious answer was yes, even though she knew it was too soon. Buffy was done with dating; she just wanted to be with someone who would care for her, and Angel proved that he did every day. She couldn’t help thinking that he deserved better, but she was too selfish to give him up. Besides, who else would ever want her?