Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so, so sorry about the massive delay for the chapter! If you follow me on LJ then you'd know that life has been making me a little crazy of late and my muse has been a little unco-operative. Sadface. But no matter! Because here it is! A huge thank you to every single one of you again for all of your kind, generous and supportive comments!

The winners for the SunnyD Memorial Awards were recently announced and this story won Best Comedy, Best Unfinished Fic and came Runner Up for Best Spuffy Plot so I really do owe you all so much :) Thank you! p. xx.
“So, Buff, a little birdie told me an interesting story about the Bronze last night.”

Reluctantly, Buffy looked up from the cross-bow she was cleaning.

“What, Xander?” She sighed. “What did a little birdie tell you? But before you answer, just please, just think carefully about what you say.”

He straightened suddenly, eying the cross bow.

“He’s dangerous, Buffy,” he whispered. “I just want you to be sure that you know what you’re doing.”

Buffy’s tone softened. “I’m sure. He’s changed, Xander. He was different, even before Willow’s spell. He deserves some help and understanding, especially now. This Spike hasn’t done anything wrong, he’s innocent. This is the only life he knows.”

The two quickly quietened when there was a shuffling at the doorway.

“Buffy, luv?”

“Hey, Spike—” Head tilted, she regarded him carefully. He leant against the doorframe, his eyes expressing nothing but tension and exhaustion. “Are you feeling alright?

“To tell you the truth, pet. My head’s achin’ something bad.”

“You’ve got a headache? I didn’t think vampires got headaches.”

“Well, the throbbin’ tells me otherwise.” His brow furrowed in focus and he rubbed the back of his crown. “It’s just right... here.”

“Maybe it’s all that human blood you had last night,” Xander offered, if not a little abruptly. “Shock to the system.”

“Xander, please,” Buffy whispered. “We don’t need this.”

“It’s okay, Buffy. You don’t have to...” Spike ran a hand through his unruly curls and sent a soft smile her way. “It’s okay, pet.” He turned to leave.

“What’s this?” Xander stood, his hands in his pockets and that know-it-all grin edging its way into his lips. “Big Bad backin’ down?”

The teen didn’t turn to face him, instead just freezing mid-step to warn, “Leave off, mate.”

The brunette snickered.

“Xander—“

Buffy gasped in surprise when Spike rushed at Xander, grabbing his lapels and pinning him against the wall by the sheer strength of his grip.

“Spike!” she exclaimed. “Let him go.”

“I’ve had my fair share of you talkin’ me down all these years, Harris,” he growled in close. “Don’t ‘specially care, but just so you know...the only thing keepin’ me from snappin’ your neck is that your Buffy’s friend, she hurts when her friends hurt. And I don’t hurt Buffy.”

“Spike.”

She put a hand on his shoulder, encouraging him to loosen his grip. At this he instantly let go and turned to her sheepishly.

“Sorry,” he murmured before rushing from the kitchen.

Wide eyed, Xander watched the vampires retreating back as he rubbed his chest. “You see,” he gasped. “Did you see that? And you’re so convinced that he’s fine. The guy’s unstable, Buffy. Why can’t you see it?”

“Of course he’s unstable!” Buffy exclaimed. “You have no idea what he’s going through right now. He’s got to come to grips with what he is, controlling the demon, just being a teenager and God knows what else! This is exactly why he needs me. Why can’t you see that?” She heaved a sigh and looked around. “I think you should go, Xander. I’ll give you a call when everything’s back to...you know, normal.”

Not knowing what else to say, she sent him a sorry smile then hurried off to find her vampire.

~

She didn’t have to go very far. He sat on the stairs, his head of bleached curls cradled in his hands. She took care to tread the steps quietly, sitting herself beside him.

“I could get you some blood,” she whispered. “Maybe that’ll make you feel a bit better?”

Buffy giggled when he seemed to perk up and smiled at her hopefully. She put a comforting hand on his upper arm and leant in to kiss his temple. “Blood it is then.”

Just a few minutes later and Buffy was presenting Spike with a heated mug of blood. The teen accepted it with a grateful smile before downing it with something that could only be described as ravenous.

“Any better?” She asked gently.

“A little,” he rasped. “Thanks, luv.”

“When did this all start? The headaches, I mean.”

He rubbed his temple and tilted his head in thought. “I suppose...it started last night, after...after the Bronze. Maybe Xander was right after all. ”

Could he? Could it really be all that simple? But it just didn’t make any sense. Though Buffy assumed that Spike hadn’t consumed any human blood since he was twelve, he was still a vampire, so his ailment couldn’t be a reaction to the sudden presence of human blood in his system. No, there was definitely something else at work here. Maybe it was a sign that he would soon be magically transitioning again. Whatever it was, she was a little hesitant to turn to Willow for aid. In spite of whatever good-hearted intentions she might have, there was no doubt in her mind that her friend would want to turn a mystical means of helping him; and that was really the last thing they needed right now. Beside her, the teen sighed tiredly and rested his head against the stair banister.

She touched his elbow and stood up. She might not be able to help him at this moment, but the least she could do was look after him.

“Come on, I’m putting you to bed.”

Despite his well-being, Spike turned to her, eyebrow raised and smirking.

“Oh, luv, playin’ nurse-maid? How scandalous. What would the kiddies say?”

She smiled sweetly at him and spoke slowly, “That... Spike can spend the rest of the night and tomorrow quarantined in my room alone if he doesn’t get his teenaged behind in bed within the next five seconds?”

“Oh, right.” He straightened quickly and hurried to the top of the stairs. “Bed.” He pointed in the direction of her room. “I’m going.”

~

As the night wore on, Buffy eventually fell asleep in the comfy chair beside her bed. As she dozed, the sound of Spike’s pained whimpers occasionally reached her ears. She’d reach over and stroke his arm or lean forwards to kiss his brow, he’d sigh and quieten. But every time, the pain seemed to have worsened. Tossing and turning, he was now very obviously awake; the pain keeping him from sleep.

“Spike? Is everything... okay?”

“Burns,” he rasped.

“What?”

“Head...urggh!” His hands flew up to cup his nose. She spied a trickle of blood seeping between his fingers.

“Spike! Oh, my God!” She grabbed a handful of tissues from her nightstand and pressed them to his bleeding nose. Her voice sounded shrill and panicked to her own ears. “I don’t understand. Why is this happening?”

“Girl,” he whispered.

“What?”

“The girl I bit. Punishment.”

In an effort to muffle the pain, his demonic ridges surged to the fore. He let out a growl and stretched his fangs. He roared in pain, clutching his temple. Buffy gasped. Tears formed in the corners of her eyes. Suddenly she understood. All this time and the thought had never occurred to any of them. They’d never considered the possibilities or consequences; the consequences for them or for Spike. How could they have forgotten? How could she have been careless enough to forget?

“Chip,” she breathed. “The chip. Oh, Spike. Oh, God. I’m so sorry. I wish I could make it better. It’s not punishment, sweetheart.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy. I wish I could be stronger for you.”

“No,” she gasped. “Don’t say that. You’re the strongest, Spike. You’re incredible. I’ll look after you. I...I lo—I won’t leave you.”

He sent her a pained and tired smile. “Love you, Buffy.”

~

She watched over him the whole night, murmuring comforting words and holding him in her arms. It horrified her, the thought of that monstrous piece of metal slowly taking form inside his head. She couldn’t begin to imagine how it could feel. Unable to contemplate the pain he must have been experiencing for another second, she pulled desperately at any other memory. She remembered the feel of his lips on her with such clarity it scared her. It was the gentlest kiss she’d ever experienced and he was the most passionate man she’d ever met. She’d almost said it before, that she loved him. She couldn’t bring herself to say it, but she really did. Demon aside, she’d seen the man at his core over the past weeks.

And he was beautiful.

He twitched and let out a pained grunt beside her. He didn’t deserve this, not by a long shot. She could only hope that his next transition would be a bit less complicated for him. She couldn’t admit it, but she wasn’t keen on the morning when she would wake to find him back to normal. She’d miss this Spike, the Spike who’d grown up as her little boy. It had been wonderful. But the next transition would bring her Spike back to her; the Spike who loved her as a woman and as a Slayer; the Spike who fought for her and adored her and desired her. And that would be wonderful too.

She could just feel it in her bones. She’d have him back soon and his pain would be over. Yes, with the next change, she’d have him back.

...wouldn’t she?

To be continued...