Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so, so sorry about the massive delay! My exams finished a week ago and since then I've kind of been taking advantage of my new found freedom. I've also found myself struggling with this chapter, but I think I've finally managed to get it right. Or right-ish at least. Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of your supportive comments and it's such a great feeling to read how you're enjoying this little fic of mine :) I really hope this chappie doesn't disappoint. Thank you again! p. x.
The Summers’ kitchen was a clutter of crystals and sweet, spicy ingredients as final preparations for the spell were underway. In the middle of it all, Dawn stood mashing up a combination of poppy seeds and lemon rind.

“Willow, are you sure that you’re sure this time? I don’t think Buffy minds looking after Spike as a baby...” She added a handful of brown sugar and went back to pounding away with the mortar and pestle. “But a foetus Spike? May be... a problem, I think.”

The red-head, however, did not share Dawn’s light-heartedness.

“Nothing can go wrong this time, Dawnie. I was careless last time, it can’t happen again. I have to make this right.” Straightening out her papers, she walked around the kitchen island and passed her a container of blueberries.

“Here, can you juice these up and add them to that petal water? It’s supposed to improve the chances of keeping his memories intact.”

~

This was set to be a big day, and Buffy had lost count of how many hours it’d been since she last put little Spike down. She’d even put off her nightly patrol, constantly humming, rocking, cradling and stroking his tiny body; all the while, unsure of exactly who she was trying to put at ease.

“In just a little while, you’re gonna be a big boy again. Isn’t that exciting?” She laughed when he abandoned his thumb for a split second to let out an amused cry. “But as much as it’ll be nice to have big Spike back again, Buffy’s definitely going to miss you. And...even if you do have some trouble remembering, I’ll still look after you. I’ll always be here to look after you.” She touched her lips gently to his brow. “Promise.”

“Hey, Buffy. All the ingredients are set, Willow’s just coming.”

Dawn hurried into the living room and began to set up, arms laden with various containers and twigs. She lay bundles of herbs and twigs in a circle, placing a blanket in the middle and sprinkling the mixture of poppy seeds over it. She lit several fat and creamy white candles, placing them in strategic corners of the room.

“Spike has to be in the circle before we can do the next preparations for the spell.”

Buffy couldn’t help the tug of fear that pulled at her heart. Placing him in the circle meant putting him down, which meant she couldn’t protect him. Most importantly it meant letting him go, but full-grown Spike wouldn’t want this. He’d take the risk; so she would too. With one last tight hug, she placed his little form down on the blanket. Now out of her embrace, his tiny bottom lip stuck out in a pout and he waved his arms in her direction.

“It’s alright, baby Spike. I’m right here.” She let him grasp hold of her pinkie finger.
Spell book at the ready and determination etched on her features, Willow strode into the room. “I’m all set, let’s do this.”

~

A reasonable distance from the site of the spell, the two sisters watched on nervously as Willow dabbed infused water on Spike’s brow and shook bundles of flowers over him. The candle flames flickered gently as Willow chanted and the spell began to take effect.

“Sugar and spice, oh essence of Spike,
Take of the Water and of the Earth too,
Seek strength of heart and of form,
Of wisdom and of mind...Return!”

The glow from the candles began to spread around the room, joining to form a shimmering circle around the little baby. Wide eyed, young Spike stared open mouthed at the magical sparkles forming around him. The glow shone brighter and brighter, the girls squeezed their eyes shut and turned away. A whoosh swept through the living room followed by one last burst of white light and then...all was quiet.

Peeking one eye open, Buffy scanned the room. The candles were still lit, flickering away gracefully.

“Spike?”

Quickly she made her way over to him, kneeling beside him and taking his hand.

“He’s...he’s...” She looked over to her best friend. “He’s the same.”

Willow took his other hand. “He’s still a baby...I—I don’t understand. Buffy, that should have worked. He should be back to normal.”

Young Spike sent a happy and unknowing smile in Buffy’s direction and she hurriedly took him back in her arms. Much to her confusion, she felt a wave of relief wash over her. Although things hadn’t gone quite according to plan, he still recognised her. She heaved a sigh; that had certainly been enough excitement for one day.

“Maybe you missed something,” she offered.

“No, no. We did it all right. Dawn and I, we checked everything over and over. Didn’t we Dawnie?”

The youngest Summers nodded her head of brown curls. Willow turned back to the spell book.

“We did it within the recommended time frame and the candle lights moved like it was supposed to.” She scanned the pages, shaking her head in disbelief. “Well, we shouldn’t try again until tomorrow. It’s best to give it some time so that any residual spell energy can dissipate and won’t affect any spell repeats. I’m so sorry, Buffy. I’ll find where it went wrong.”

“Yeah, I know you will.” Not looking away from young Spike Buffy nodded in a daze. “Look, it’s been a long day. I’m gonna put him to bed. We’ll figure it out together, don’t worry yourself, Will. Night, Dawnie.”

~

She could hear the birds chirping outside. It felt as though she should be getting up soon, but she was so comfortable. Devoting all of her time and energy to caring for little Spike was really starting to take its toll. She felt as though she’d earned at least another solid hour of sleep. Snuggling deeper under the blankets, she pulled a pillow towards her and hugged it close. A slight frown touched her brow as she felt a cool brush across her leg and the pillow seemed to shift in her embrace. Cracking an eye open, she pulled her arm away with a gasp and flew across to the other side of the bed.

Her blonde pillow turned around and gave her a sleepy smile, young blue eyes sparkling with energy for the new day.

“Good morning, Buffy,” it said in a polite and crisp English accent before snuggling close. “You’re so warm. I’m so comfy.”

“Spike?” She pulled away again, trying to get a good look at him.

“Yes, Buffy?” he murmured against her chest.

“Spike, it’s—it’s really you!” With two fingers under his chin, she gently tilted his head up towards hers and touched his ruffled, bright blond locks. “Willow’s spell worked.”

His young brows knotted in question. “What do you mean?”

Of course, he was probably confused and didn’t remember. Buffy felt herself smile as she realised that, for Spike, this was probably any normal morning. On the contrary, she wouldn’t have a bad word to say if she could awaken this way every day; his little body tucked beside hers and his breath flowing across her skin as he rested his head in her embrace. Perfection.

Lips pressed against his hair, she asked quietly, “Spike? How old are you?”

“Six,” he said proudly with a toothy lisp. “I’m a big boy!”

Laughing, she gave him a quick peck of a kiss to his crown. “Yeah, you really are.”

Concerned, Buffy watched on as he seemed to suddenly shift uncomfortably underneath the bed-sheets.

“Buffy?” he whispered.

“Yes, Spike?”

“I think—” He peeked under the covers and continued sheepishly, “I think I forgot to put on my pyjamas last night.”

To be continued...