Author's Chapter Notes:
And so we continue little Spike's journey on the road to becoming a big boy vamp again!

I'd like to thank you all again for your generous and beautiful reviews and support. I know that my updates have slowed down quite substantially and I'm so, so sorry about that. It's just been one thing after another with university, assignments, family and life in general *sigh*. But it's just so wonderful having Spuffy to make me feel all better and knowing that I have all you incredible people out there. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope you enjoy this latest chapter! xx. p.
“No, no!” Dawn squeaked in a high pitched voice. “Please don’t eat me Mr. Bear!”

Mr. Gordo in hand, she bounced the stuffed toy across the floor rug.

“Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum! I’m coming after you Mr. Gordo!” A large brown bear in both hands, young Spike had the soft toy chasing the former on its over-stuffed legs. His six-year-old features were lit up in sheer entertained delight. Yet in the bear’s mid-step, he paused and regarded the toy carefully. “I think it would make Buffy sad if Mr. Gordo got eaten, don’t you, Dawn?”

The corner of the older girl’s mouth lifted in a knowing smile. “Well, Mr. Gordo is Buffy’s favourite. So yeah, I think it would.”

Eyes wide, he placed the bear on the ground beside him. “No eating Mr. Gordo then.” He reached over to where Dawn had left the stuffed pig on the ground and clutched it to his chest. “I don’t want Buffy to be sad.”

~

“Hey there, Spike.” Buffy looked over at the young boy from her position at the kitchen sink. “What have you got there?”

Her brow furrowed in concern when he didn’t reply and looked to be deep in thought, his hands clutched together adorably behind his back. She dried her hands on a tea-towel and went to kneel in front of him.

“Everything alright, little guy?”

He looked at her for a few moments, a slight pout touching his lips. “Yes, I-I think so. I’m just a bit confused. You’re Buffy, I know you’re Buffy...but how—how do I know that?”

“Oh, oh well—“ She tried her hardest to keep the deer-in-headlights response at bay. “You just had a nasty fall the other day, honey.” She smiled warmly and stroked his cheek. “It’ll all come back to you soon.”

“Are you my mother?”

“What!” Green eyes flew wide open in a blend of shock and amusement. “Oh, no!”

Young Spike tilted his head in a style true to that of his older self and his hands fell to the side, revealing a bunch of daises clutched in one. “Sister?”

“I’m just a friend. A good friend. I take care of you.”

“Oh...” His lips spread in a happy smile before he ducked his head, twisting his torso from side to side. “I got these for you.” Shy eyes downcast he stuck out his hand and presented her the flowers. “I thought of you when I saw them. You’re pretty and your hair is shiny.”

His eyes shone with an innocence she never thought she’d see in those crystal blue orbs. She was certain that, were it possible, she would have blushed at the extent of her blush.

“Oh, thank you, Spike.” She planted a light peck of a kiss on his forehead and accepted the flowers with a grateful smile.

He let out a bashful giggle, gazing down at his feet as he murmured, “I’ve never had a girlfriend before.” He played with a loose thread in the oversized t-shirt he wore then looked up straight in her eyes. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

Buffy couldn’t believe her eyes or her ears. In so many ways, young six-year-old Spike was exactly the same as normal, older Spike. He was the culmination of all those Victorian era mannerisms she’d only just caught a glimpse of before; those behaviours she knew that Spike worked so hard to keep hidden. She felt her heartbeat hasten in amazement as she realised that she was witnessing Spike, or more accurately, William, as he would have been as a human. He was polite, soft-spoken, completely charming and he...still cared about her. All of this in consideration, how could she turn down his offer.

“Of course I will, Spike.” She brushed his cheek and smiled adorningly. “It would be my privilege.”

She felt her heart lighten when his young features lit up with a shine bright enough to challenge the sun. Taking hold of her hand, he giggled, both nervous and delighted that he was holding the hand of a pretty girl.

~

As Buffy leant her head against the cushions watching Spike play contentedly beside her, she felt a strange burning sensation in her cheeks. But as she realised the source of her discomfort, the burning only grew greater. Her cheeks were aching...from smiling! She just couldn’t stop! Young Spike looked up at her from his place at the foot of the couch and sent her a toothy smile. She never thought that one of Willow’s magical mishaps could have brought such change to her life. This feeling, the sensation bubbling away inside her, it was refreshing, comforting, warming and...amazing.

“What happened to you here, Buffy?”

Spike pointed to the small bite mark on the inside of her wrist.

“Oh, it’s nothing—“ The grating sound of bone interrupted her and she found herself faced with the ridged features of a six-year-old vampire.

“Buffy,” he whispered. “What’s happened to my face?”

“Don’t worry Spike, everything’s fine.” She shifted in her seat, bending forwards to pick him up and place him across her lap. “How are you feeling? Hungry?”

“Yes, a little.”

Holding him to her chest, she murmured, “Close your eyes.” Then she touched her marked wrist to his lips. There was only a fleeting sting when his fangs sunk into her skin. She took deep breaths with each of his pulling mouthfuls, her fingers running comforting strokes through his soft, blonde curls.

“Are you okay?”

Returning to his human face, he gave her a shaky nod but noticed instantly when she winced and grabbed her wrist to ward off a stab of pain.

“Did I hurt you, Buffy?” He blinked wildly, a look of panic taking over, his voice straining and tears gathering in the corners of his eyes. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! What’s wrong with me? I’m sorry, Buffy!”

“Shh, I’m fine, little guy.” She took his young form in her arms and rocked him comfortingly. “I’m just fine. You don’t have to say sorry, you never did anything wrong. Never. It’s what I’m here for, to look after you. Nothing’s wrong with you, don’t you ever think that about yourself. You’re special Spike, my special little guy.”

“I’m sorry, Buffy,” he whimpered. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

She held tightly onto him until she felt him begin to calm and watched as his eyelids drooped with sleep. And as she pulled a light blanket over their bodies, she inhaled in amazed surprise when he whispered, “I love you, Buffy.”

To be continued...