Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello my loves! I have big thank yous to say to every single one of you! I was a little especially overwhelmed with responses to the last chapter so I really want to say a huge thank you for sticking with me and this fic :) And I also have a big, big sorry to say for my lack of responses to comments. Please don't be mad, I can't express to you how much they mean to me! How much you all mean to me! And I'm sorry there's been quite lengthy periods between posts but I'm finding myself struggling a little more than usual with uni assignments and work and life in general. So thank you all for your support and for your patience. Tween!Spike kisses and hugs to all! xx. p.
It had been a week since Buffy had experienced first-hand the physiological consequences of Spike’s growth spurts and the Summers’ household had taken all manner of precautions to make sure that, in the event of his next age-leap, that there was pigs blood aplenty. At present, however, young Spike and Dawn were happily experimenting with onion blossoms while the Scooby Gang...well, watched Buffy separate the laundry.

“Personally, I think you’ll like him,” Anya stated matter-of-factly, toying with a ball of sock. “He has nice muscles and eyes. I think the two of you’ll be very well suited for sex.”

“Ahn!” Xander gaped, wide-eyed at his fiancée.

“What? I’m simply giving Buffy a true evaluation of a potential partner. I thought you said it was good to show consideration for others. This is a very nice bra.” She displayed the red lace piece to Xander, “Don’t you think?”

“Well, it’s very kind of you, Anya.” Buffy snatched back her undergarment. “But I’m not really looking for a relationship right now.”

“Oh, yes,” she sighed. “I suppose you’re too busy baby-sitting crying Spike to be thinking about orgasms.”

Saving himself any further embarrassment, Xander cut in. “Where is he anyway? Is he back to his annoying bleached self? Or is it too much to hope that you finally came to your senses and he’s lining the bottom of a rubbish bin.”

Pursing her lips, Buffy felt her temperature begin to rise, but tried desperately to keep her cool. Instead, she directed her bubbling frustration to the towel she was folding. “Spike!” She called out.

“Yeah, Buffy?” Came his reply from the kitchen.

“Come and help me a minute?”

Upon strolling casually into the room, he looked at Anya giving her a respectful nod of the head. “Hello, Anya. Hey, Whelp.” The latter he added casually without a passing glance.

“Hey!” Xander sent Buffy look as if asking her to control the child under her care.

“Spike,” Buffy warned as she simultaneously suppressed a smug grin. “Don’t be rude. Say sorry.”

The young vampire sighed exaggeratedly, dropping himself on the couch next to her. “Sorry.” Then muttered under his breath, “Whelp.”

Anya stepped in swiftly as Xander looked poised to start a fuss. “Like I was saying, I think you should meet him, Buffy. I could set it all up for you!”

Young Spike looked up at Buffy with wide eyes and touched her sleeve. “You—you’re going on a date?” He asked quietly.

“Oh! No,” She smiled warmly at him and brushed a blonde curl from his forehead. “Anya’s just got a friend she wants me to meet.”

Gosh, the way his eyes shone. It was the eyes which gave it away. His eyes told anyone observant enough to notice that he was no ordinary twelve year old child. His eyes were coloured with the worldly knowledge of a hundred and twenty-something year old vampire, with the emotion of man who’d known love and the heart of a woman. But that particular shine she’d seen before; every time she glanced at Spike from the corner of eye as she’d hugged Riley or talked to Ben. It was jealousy.

“A very physically attractive friend,” the ex-demon corrected. “How’s the Bronze? Tonight? Excellent!”

“Oh, maybe not tonight, Anya.” She tore her gaze away from the young boy. “I don’t really want to leave Spike by himself and—“

“Dawn!” Anya looked to the youngest Summers who now lent against the door-frame. “You can look after Spike, can’t you? We adults have more important things to do.”

“Of course.”

“Then it’s settled!” Anya cried out triumphantly. “You’re coming with us! Go change into something sexy!”

~

“Are you alright, Spike? You seem extra quiet tonight.”

“I’m fine,” he sighed, toying with a playing card. “I like spending time with you. I guess, I miss Buffy.”

Dawn giggled and reached over to ruffle his hair. “She’s only been gone half an hour! Don’t worry, she’ll be back soon. She wasn’t too keen on going out anyway. She’ll make sure they don’t stay out for long.”

“Unless...” Dawn’s eyes lit up with excitement as she was struck with an idea. “Grab your jacket, little guy. And just give me a minute.”

~

Dawn gave her outfit one last smooth down and tugged on her brunette curls as she flew down the stairs ten minutes later.

“Spike!” She called out. “Let’s go, blondie!”

She rounded the corner to find the twelve year old half hidden inside of her sister’s weapons chest.

“Hey, what you up to in there?”

He popped up with a proud smile. “Stakes!” He stuck one out at Dawn. “Buffy told me to always have a stake at night time.”

She smile understandingly and gratefully accepted the weapon. “I bet she did. But you should be careful with these you know. They can be dangerous, especially for little boys.” She lifted him out of the chest and took his hand. “Come on, let’s go find Buffy.”

~

There was just no other way to describe it. Buffy was bored. Richard was lovely and all, but he really did talk an awful lot. She wasn’t even sure exactly what he was saying now, something about...construction sites and insulation? She stifled a yawn and glanced around the Bronze at the dancing couples. Catching sight of a floor length leather coat, she couldn’t help but wonder if Spike danced. If he’d seen her sitting here, would he have given her one of those bashful smiles and asked her to join him for a dance? Would he have outstretched his hand and offered it to her? But the most important question, would she have rolled her eyes and slapped his hand away or would she have taken it? She could imagine it so clearly, sliding her fingers into his cool grip and feeling the strength which—

“Buffy!”

She jerked up straight at the sound of her name and the sight of her sister pushing her way through the dancing throng.

“Dawn! What are you doing here? Where’s—”

“Buffy!”

She felt her spirit soar as a flash of blonde rushed towards her and she found her arms suddenly wrapped tightly around Spike’s young body. “I missed you,” he murmured against her ear.

“I missed you too, little guy.”

Everything seemed to move around them as she continued to hold onto him. In her peripheral view, she saw Dawn take her seat beside Richard and introduce herself.

“He was feeling a little down without her.” Buffy heard her explain. “I totally had to sweet talk the security guy to let him in with me. He’s probably the first twelve-year-old ever to get in this place!”

When she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder, she pulled away to find him watching the crowd with glassy eyes. “Buffy?” He asked, “Can we do that? Dance?”

Lips spreading in the most adoring of smiles, she took both his hands and bent down to match his eye level. “Are you asking me to dance with you, Spike?”

He seemed too embarrassed to meet her gaze. “Please, Buffy?”

She found her feet taking them over to join the crowd just as a slow, rich melody filled the room. Holding onto one hand, he rested his temple against her chest and wrapped his other arm around her waist while she cupped the back of his head and tenderly stroked his hair. Buffy had no idea how long they had swayed together; she’d just known that it’d been beautiful. For all of his emotional expression and understanding, adult Spike had never bared himself so openly to her. Sure she’d seen his devotion and love for her, and maybe it was because of his youth, but holding him against her, she saw the vulnerability at his very core. Suddenly the night seemed to fly past, and soon later she was carrying his sleeping form to bed and curling up beside him.

~

The very next morning, and upon her return from the bathroom Buffy re-entered her room as a foot stuck out from under the covers. It was quite a sizable foot, she noticed. Each second seemed to stretch and she held her breath as the sheets shifted and a well muscled arm emerged, followed by the hint of a chiselled torso. Spike? Could it really be? Fully grown Spike? Her little boy was gone? A low rumbling groan sounded and she watched as a hand ran through bright blonde platinum locks and delicate eyelids fluttered open.

Oh, but no. His eyes. Something wasn’t right. This wasn’t her Spike.

This was...teenager Spike.

His voice was deep and husky.

“Mornin’, pet.”

To be continued...