Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you again to Emma for looking over this chapter, and helping me with my British phrasings.
Thank you again to Emma for looking over this chapter, and helping me with my British phrasings.

“Have the imported foods moved to a different section, mate?” William paced the aisle at the grocery store twice before giving up and asking the stock boy.

It was harder and harder to purchase the little things that reminded him of home. It was probably not such a good idea to keep drinking his brand of tea or eating Dru’s preferred biscuits. But it was the only brand the market carried, and suppose it served him right. Eat his guilt and choke that down with some scalding hot tea. Served him right indeed.

His brother Wesley snuck a care package in his suitcase when he left England for the States. He was never more grateful than when he arrived, and found crumbled McVities tucked next to his socks. Wesley was the only one who knew where he was. What he did. He wished he could talk to him now, but they agreed that limited contact was best and that he would keep watch over the situation at home. Wesley said he’d keep an eye on Drusilla, and he’d contact him when it was safe. Wesley, the older brother, was his mother’s pride and joy and William was something of a rebel who steered on and off the path of redemption much to his family’s disappointment. Why can’t you be more like your brother? His mother would ask emphatically when they bailed him out of juvenile detention for the fifth time.

But he looked up to Wesley. He never held a grudge that his brother was the preferred child, and it was Wesley who tutored him and encouraged his love for reading. He was never cruel, and didn’t even give him a hard time about his bleached hair phase. “Mother is going to kill you.” Wesley laughed, before admitting that the bleached look didn’t look half bad. It was Wesley who never lost faith in him, and after their mother died, supported him through university, and ultimately got him a position as an English professor at a small school on the outskirts of London; the school where he was much beloved and flourished professionally.

The school where he fell head over heels in love with Drusilla Aurelius.

The place where everything went to hell.

He remembered how his fingers trembled when he got the letter of acceptance for the position in Sunnydale. It was unexpected. He and Drusilla had talked about running away together and Drusilla encouraged him to apply to positions as far away from England as possible. Her father was a powerful man and protective of his only daughter. “He’d never let us be together,” she explained. It was Drusilla who suggested Sunnydale, California. He never thought he would actually get accepted.

But then Dru’s accident. He didn’t mean for any of it to happen.

Once again, it was his brother who came to clean up his mess.

“Take the job, William.” His brother said, rummaging through his drawers and stuffing his suitcases in a frenzy.

He sat on the bed, stripped bare of its sheets. Wesley already packed a suitcase with some of his belongings. Guilt and doubt surged through him. But mostly he felt like a coward for running.

“I don’t… I don’t know if I can do this, Wes.”

Wesley dropped a duffel bag at his feet, and took his brother by the shoulders. “This is your chance to start fresh.”

“I don’t deserve it.” William croaked, and couldn’t bear to look his brother in the eyes.

“Look at me,” Wes ordered. When William hung his head, Wesley smacked his face. “Hey, look at me.”

Tears were starting to brim. He felt like such a git.

“Everyone deserves a second chance. Don’t waste it.”

Standing in the grocery store, thinking of his brother, his heart felt heavy.

William turned the tin of tea slowly in his hand and chucked it into his basket.

He wondered what his brother would say if he knew how superbly he has failed yet again.

*************

“Mom, we really don’t need all of this.” Buffy traipsed along side her mother, removing two bags of chips for every three that Joyce dropped into their cart.

“A girl only turns eighteen once, sweetie. I would think you’d be more excited about this.”

“I am.” Buffy admitted. “But you really don’t need to go through all this trouble. It’s just going to be a small group of friends at the Bronze. This cart looks like you’re throwing a Super Bowl party.”

“Well, can you blame me for wanting to celebrate my little girl all grown up?” Joyce said, giving her daughter a big hug, and then pinching her cheek like she did when Buffy was a child.

“Okay… public displays of affection…. All good and dandy.” Buffy said, rubbing her face, before stealing the cart and peeling ahead of her mother. “This is enough, mom!” She called back, weaving the cart down the aisle to the checkout line.

Buffy pulled into the shortest line and turned back to look for her mother who seemed to be distracted by the row of gossip magazines on display a few lines away.

“Hello, cutie.”

Her heart jumped. She could recognize that voice anywhere. She slowly turned and was met with a grinning Mr. Pratt.

“Mr. Pratt.” She didn’t mean for her voice to sound all low and inviting but she couldn’t help herself. The object of her affection was dressed casually in jeans and a black t-shirt. His hair was a little messy and it didn’t look like he meant to run into anyone, especially her, at the supermarket of all places.

He leaned in till their faces were inches apart, and Buffy thought he was going to kiss her. Her mind was slowly turning to mush. A shiver ran down her spine as she waited, preparing to throw all caution to the wind. They were close enough that she could smell him, and she reflexively closed her eyes, and inhaled that manly mix of musk and mint that she grew familiar with and waited for his next action.

The baby hairs on the side of her head prickled as Mr. Pratt touched her shoulder.

“William. Remember? Call me, William.” he whispered into her ear, before loudly exclaiming, “Excuse me, miss,” yanking a package of chewing gum from the display directly next to her.

She stared into his twinkling blue eyes, briefly startled by the gall. This shouldn’t turn her on so much. They were always so careful to keep this part of their relationship hidden. She relished the thrill of the tease, but felt an uneasy closeness since their admittance of mutual feelings last week. It didn’t really change anything. It is what it is, right?

It was a moment of weakness. That’s all. Angel dumped her and he comforted her the only way he knew how. That was it. That’s all it was. Was she just deluding herself into thinking that there could be something more? He said if he could tell the world about them, he would.

But he couldn't.

And she couldn’t either. No one would understand. There was too much on the line. She shouldn’t have been so stupid to get caught up in her emotions, and let down her guard long enough to fall for him.

“What are you doing here?” She hissed.

“Well I suppose the same thing you’re doing here, pet. Shopping.”

Smiling, he added, “A man’s got to eat.”

He ran one hand casually over his abdomen and Buffy took note of the hard muscles underneath, and cleared her throat awkwardly.

William took a peek in her cart, and took note of the copious amount of junk food.

“Having a slumber party, are we?” He leered, tongue wagging.

She gulped. That tongue. Keep it together, Buffy.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“I believe I would. Gonna invite me?”

“You wish.” She rolled her eyes.

“It’d be fun. We could stay up late eating naughty treats, play spin the bottle, and then I get to see what sort of frilly jammies you wear to bed.” He joked.

That knowing smirk on his face did it. Cocky son of a bitch.

“Well that’s funny,” she leaned into him barely touching except for the fabric of their clothes brushing softly. Just two strangers sharing a space too small within the confines of politeness. She felt the heat radiate from his body and it was her turn to smile.

“I sleep naked.”

She yanked a package of chocolate from the display next to him.

“Pardon me, sir,” She said loudly, dropping the package in her cart.

Buffy smiled coyly when she successfully wiped the smug look on his face. William’s jaw tightened, and he stirred visibly. His hand went to his belt buckle and Buffy’s eyes followed, knowing full well what was happening underneath his pants.

But there was a dampness already forming in her underwear, like her body was instinctively preparing herself for him. And what did he say to her in the car last week when he gripped her neck and fingered her till she forgot her own name? That he couldn’t wait to feel her legs wrapped around him while he fucked her? Shit…

She wanted more moments of weakness. It couldn’t be helped. She wanted to grab his hand and drag him out to his car right now, and make him do all the things he promised. She bit down on her lip and seriously considered disappearing with him right then and there.

And then Buffy's mother came up behind and startled them both.

“Buffy, did we remember the ice cream?”

“Uh…yeah, mom. See? Ben and Jerry. All happy in the cart together.” Buffy replied as cheerfully as possible, sneaking glances at William, who composed himself, and amused at how flustered Buffy became.

Joyce looked at William, and seemed to recognize him. “Do I know you?” She asked, eyebrows knitted.

“Hi Ms. Summers. I’m Buffy’s English teacher, William Pratt. So lovely to see you again.” He offered his hand to Joyce, who shook it.

“Mr. Pratt… you’re the teacher that kept my daughter late after film club. You know, it’s really unprofessional to keep your students out that late on a school night.”

“Oh, so Buffy told you….?” William looked at Buffy who was warning him with her eyes.

Buffy mouthed. “She knows nothing.”

“I’m terribly sorry about that. It was truly deplorable of me. Won’t happen again.” He assured her. “Buffy is one of my brightest students, and I’m so happy she volunteered to help.

“She says you’re writing her college recommendation. I hope it will be a glowing one.”

“Certainly. Buffy is a special girl. Glowing recommendation for a glowing student. Shall I drop it off at your home tomorrow?” Mr, Pratt asked.

“A teacher that makes house calls on a Saturday, Mr. Pratt?” Joyce relaxed, and put her arm around her daughter. “That’s unorthodox.”

“Well the parents pay good money for the best education so it’s important to service our pupils the best way we can.” William smiled brightly at Joyce. “Isn’t that right, Buffy?”

He said it so casually. So innocently. She wanted to smack him.

“But it’s Buffy’s birthday tomorrow.

William looked at Buffy, and smiled. “Oh, is it?”

Buffy shifted uncomfortably. “Mmm hmm.”

“How old are you turning, Buffy?”

“Eighteen.” She mumbled, looking him dead in the eyes.

“That’s a very special age.” He said. “Where will you be celebrating? I hope somewhere exciting,” he added, teeth flashing.

“You want this to be a day to remember.”

“Oh we’re having a small party at the Bronze.” Buffy’s mother said.

“Well that sounds delightful.” William dropped his basket under the check out line, as he paid his bill, and gathered his groceries.

“It was a pleasure seeing you again Ms. Summers.”

Joyce nodded, and waved.

“And Buffy?"

She peered at him through hooded eyes.

Happy Birthday.” He winked.

Buffy’s tummy flipped as she willed herself to stay upright. She wanted to follow him out of there.

The wheels were turning in his head; she just knew it.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm using this chapter to set up the next one. Hope you enjoyed, and a review is always appreciated~