Author's Chapter Notes:
So Ch. 3. Interesting things are about to start happening in the near future. Stay tuned, folks.
She ran down the hallway, her heart beating so fast a doctor would have been concerned she was about to have a heart attack. She opened every door along the hallway that Gunn had directed her to, her breath catching in her throat each time the door opened to reveal another man in a cheap suit that seemed to be going bonkers instead of the vampire she was looking for. Each time she didn’t find him, her search became more desperate and a dreadful feeling that maybe it wasn’t true after all, that Angel and his people were wrong about Spike being back, tore at her insides. But it had to be. It had to be true. Suddenly she couldn’t believe that he wasn’t alive. She felt certain the universe would have collapsed by now without him in it. As if she couldn’t understand how she could have conceived of the world without him in it in the first place.

She had questions of course. Somewhere in the back of her mind she asked herself how it was possible and why did Angel of all people, or vampires, know before her that Spike was alive. Dear God, alive. Alive with his way of sauntering cockily. With his easy banter she didn’t share with anyone else. She could see his mischievous smirk again. The one that made her bones feel like jell-o and her blood rush in any direction but her brain. God help her, she could look into his eyes again. Those blue orbs that drowned her in love and awe. She could finally make him believe her. Make him believe that what she’d said that day when she’d finally seen all of him was true. That she wanted to spend the rest of her life, afterlife, and whatever other kind of life the fates decided to give her, loving him. Showing him how sorry she was that she could never let herself feel it before. Not before it was too late and she had to stand with her friends, staring at the giant hole in the Earth where an ensouled demon had held her hand and heart.

But it didn’t matter anymore. Spike was alive. And she could change it. Change her fate and his and link them together for the rest of eternity. Maybe the powers that be were giving her another chance. She knew Spike had burned up in the Hellmouth before it collapsed. He couldn’t have survived that. Which meant that someone had brought him back. Some higher power had decided that he should live again. Maybe the universe was giving her a chance to be happy. Finally. She promised herself that this time she would not fuck it up. She would never fuck it up again. If only she could find him.

She turned a corner as her desperation grew even more, trying to reach out with her slayer senses and find Spike. She had always been able to sense him when he was around. She could tell him apart from other vampires even from a distance, the tingle to the back of her neck that his nearness produced completely different from other vampires. It had been the same with Angel, though to a lesser degree. She had always wondered why it was that she could never tell those lesser vamps apart, while Angel and Spike were so easy to distinguish.

When she and Spike had started sleeping together, her senses concerning him had intensified. She could sense him from miles away sometimes. At times she swore that she could even smell him. The distinct musk of leather and cigarettes filling her nostrils even when she knew he was much too far away from her for his scent to reach her.

Suddenly, she stopped, realizing that if he was somewhere in this hallway she should be able to feel him. Standing still, she tried to reach out with her senses. For what seemed like forever she couldn’t feel him at all. Her heart sank even as she focused harder. ‘Come on, come on, come on…please be here’ she thought. And suddenly, there it was. A familiar tingle went through her, blocking out everything else. The panicked voices of the other people in the building faded out. She couldn’t hear the fire extinguisher next to her crashing to the ground with a loud thump as the employee next to her picked it up and moved to strike his fellow worker with it. Everything went completely still in her head. Even her heart seemed to stop beating. Every sense she had, except for her Slayer senses seemed to fail her. The only thing she was aware of was him. Where there had been nothing before, his presence was now so strong it took her breath away. Her legs started moving of their own volition. Seeking him out without a conscious command from Buffy.

She continued walking along the hallway as if in a trance. The back of her neck tingled more with each soft thud of her heeled boots on the carpeted floor. She was getting closer to him and fought the urge to run, fearing she might lose the sense of his if she did. Finally, she stopped in front of a door, this time knowing full well that he was behind it. This was it. Opening the door in front of her would finally put her face to face with the man she so desperately needed in her life. She felt her heart seize at the thought of seeing him again. It had been so long. Too long for her wounded heart. But it would be okay now. As soon as she opened that door he would be there and she could breathe again. Ironic that someone who didn’t need to breathe could give her that. She could let herself feel again. She wouldn’t have to fight until dawn every night just to keep from thinking about what she’d lost when the Hellmouth had collapsed. She could be alive again.

With that last thought running through her head, her hand reached towards the door, opening it, and taking a single step that placed her inside the room that held her second chance.


Chapter End Notes:
Yes, I know you all hate me for ending this here, but I promise the next chapter is coming really soon. I just wanted to split things up more. And as always, reviews make me happy :D