Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to my lovely betas, Abby, Dawnofme, and Marilyn. Thanks to Christine for the test read. I do hope you'll read and tell me what you think. It's quite a departure from my first fic. Thanks to Tanit for the beautiful banner.

I own nothing. This is written purely for pleasure.


Buffy sat at her cluttered desk, her bottom lip clenched between her teeth as she tried to decide what came next on her busy agenda. She started working at the Sunnydale Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders when it opened a year ago. Countless qualified candidates had applied for the position, and Buffy considered it an honor to have been selected from among such an elite group. Buffy's main job was to liaise with the families for ninety days after discharge to ensure the children's transition back into day-to-day living went as smoothly as possible. She scheduled appointments with therapists and psychiatrists and called the parents once a week to check in, to make sure things were running smoothly and to offer any help or advice



She was just about to place such a call when her cell phone rang, and she rummaged through the stacks of paper work on her desk until she finally found it.





"Hi, Mom." Buffy wondered why her mother was calling. Joyce had mentioned she and Anne were going to have a late lunch and do some shopping.




"Buffy—are you sitting down?" Buffy could tell by Joyce's tone something wasn't right





"Yes, I'm sitting down. What's going on? Where are you? I'll be right there." Buffy's stomach dropped as dread settled over her. She grabbed her purse and hurried down the hall toward her supervisor's office. Benny happened to be in the hallway when, in her haste, she nearly ran into him





"Whoa. Where's the fire?" He frowned as if he could see her apparent distress.





"It's Anne. She had a heart attack. Mom just called." Buffy frantically dug through her purse searching for her car keys. "It doesn't look good. I gotta go."





Benny put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Go on. Call me if you need anything."





"I will. Thanks. I'll have my cell phone.





She turned and hurried down the hall toward the bank of elevators.



When she arrived at her car, her hands were shaking so badly it took her a moment to get the keys in the ignition. Surely, this was not happening. She took deep, calming breaths and tried to tell herself everything would be fine. She didn't know what she would do if she lost Anne. She said a silent prayer for her as she drove.







Buffy arrived at the hospital, thankfully finding a parking space in the emergency room lot. As soon as she walked through the sliding glass doors, her mother embraced her. Buffy felt a twinge of guilt pass through her. In some ways, Anne felt more like a mother to her than Joyce did.










"Oh, honey, I'm so glad you're here! She's asking for you."







Buffy held her mother tighter. "Is it that bad? What happened?"







Joyce took a step back and brushed Buffy's hair from her face.







"Yes, it's bad. The doctor says there's irreparable damage. I went over this afternoon to pick her up for lunch, and she was complaining of chest pains. She was sweating and clammy and just didn't look right. She asked me to call an ambulance. You know how bad it must have been for her to have asked me to do that. You really need to go to her, Buffy. She's been asking for you. I've called William and he's on his way."





This made Buffy's heart lurch within her chest; she didn't want to hear his name much less see him. "Where is she?







"Through the double doors, third door on your left." Joyce hugged her once more. "Be brave for her, sweetie."







As Buffy walked mindlessly down the hall, a lump had formed in her throat, and she tried desperately not to cry. She wiped her sweaty palms on her skirt, took a deep cleansing breath and opened the door.







She thought she'd prepared herself, but the sight before her nearly broke her in two. The once vibrant, passionate director of nurses lay in a hospital bed. Her color was gray and her breathing labored. She looked so fragile and old beyond her sixty-six years.







She was sleeping, so Buffy slid a chair next to her bedside and took her hand in hers, noting how old they looked in comparison. She'd never thought of Anne's age. Anne was just Anne, whom she'd known since she was a child. Anne meant so much to her. She had been there when she needed her most. Buffy couldn't imagine being without her. The mere thought of it brought tears to her eyes.







Anne squeezed her hand, and Buffy looked up with tear-filled eyes. Anne gave her a weak smile and reached out to her. Buffy leaned over and hugged her.







"I came as soon as I heard. I'm so sorry. Can I get you anything? "







Sitting back down, Buffy covered her mouth to stifle a sob. Buffy felt helpless and a bit useless. She wondered if this was how her mother had felt all those years ago when her father was dying.







Anne shook her head. "I'm so glad you're here, darling."







"Of course I'm here. Anne, where else would I be? You've always been there for me, especially when I was a child."







Buffy thought about all times she'd slept over at Anne's house when her dad was in the hospital, how she would wake in the night crying and Anne would be there to comfort her.







"You gave me your love and support and treated me like family. You mean the world to me. I'll never be able to repay the kindness you've shown me. I'm gonna stay right here until you're better. "

'





"All right, we've got a lot of ground to cover and I don't know how much time I have, so listen well. I have loved you as though you were my own daughter for the last twenty-four years. It's been a pleasure to see you become such a beautiful, successful person inside and out." Anne paused for moment to catch her breath. "When you were a child, I often wished you were my own. As you became an adult, I was proud to call you my friend. There's one thing I need you to do for me. Please." Anne's tone was loving, but her voice was weak.









"Anything," Buffy said, the word barely audible between sobs.







"I know my William hurt you before he went away to college. He was young and foolish. In my opinion, he acted like a bloody arse!" There was the fiery Anne. Buffy smiled at her choice words. "I want you to be there for him when I'm gone. He's going to be lost, not knowing what to do or where to go. I do have my affairs in order, but there are other things he shouldn't face alone. Promise me you'll be with him through this."







Buffy leaned forward and kissed her cheek. "I love you, Anne. I'll do anything you need me to do, but I'm not so sure Spike is going to want my help. I haven't spoken to him in eleven years. He probably wants nothing to do with me."







"He's going to need someone, and I know he cares for you. Please, Buffy, at least offer him comfort."









Those were her final words. Her hand went limp in Buffy's, and the monitor flat lined.









Buffy heard someone outside the door yell. "Call a Code!"







Several nurses rushed into the room. One of them tried to guide Buffy out, but she was hesitant to leave.







Another nurse came and said, "I'm sorry, miss, but you're going to have to go."









However, she stood firm. Tears blurred her vision, but Buffy couldn't take her eyes off the heart monitor. She stood in the doorway watching as they diligently tried to revive Anne's lifeless body, administering CPR and using the defibrillator. The nurses were too busy with their task to worry with Buffy. She heard the monitors beeping and one of the nurses calling for the paddles; the room was a flurry of motion and organized chaos. Buffy felt numb and disbelief tore through her as she heard one of them call the time of death. She slumped down in the hallway, her head between her knees, trying to absorb the shock.









Anne was gone.