Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta'd by Abby, Dawnofme, and Diebirchen - three very lovely ladies. Thanks to those who follow this story, whether or not you review. Don't get me wrong. I love reading what each person has to say, so don't stop reviewing! The banner is by Tanit.
It seemed as though the weeks had flown by, and finally, today was the day. Buffy glanced at the clock on her computer every few minutes, willing the time to pass. Excited was too tame a word for the emotion she felt. She was about to embark on a journey with the man she loved, the trip opening up a whole new world of possibilities for them both. Buffy had never been further than Los Angeles, and she wanted to savor every moment of this trip.

The last couple of weeks had been the happiest of her life, and she couldn't imagine how things could be better. She and Spike spent all their free time together getting reacquainted, and he'd spent every night at her house, since the memories in his mother's home were sometimes too much for him to bear. Buffy jumped as she heard a knock at her door, looking around quickly to tidy her desk, which was empty, save for her computer.

"Come in," she said, trying her best to look busy.

"Buffy, you counting the minutes? I see you've got everything squared away, just as I knew you would." Benny took a seat across from her and smiled.

"Yes. I mean, no. I have everything squared away, but I plan on staying until the end of the day. Is there something I forgot?" She drummed her fingers on the desk and furrowed her brow.

"No, nothing like that. You're one of my best employees, Buffy, and I know you wouldn't leave without making sure everything and everyone was taken care of. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I hope you'll come back to us after your trip is over," Benny said, looking at her expectantly.

Buffy was taken aback by the last sentence. She knew she and Spike wanted a future together, but it honestly hadn't occurred to her that she would leave Sunnydale. Of course, to not even

take it into consideration would be incredibly selfish on her part, but Spike had never mentioned it either. She knew what they'd be discussing on the way to L.A. now.

"Honestly, Benny, William and I haven't even discussed it. The minute I make any plans, I'll let you know." Buffy tried her best to make her tone reassuring, but butterflies of anxiety were dancing in her stomach.

Benny stood to leave. "Well, I'm glad to hear it. It seems as though you have everything here wrapped up, so why don't you go on and head out. I know what L.A. traffic can be like. Have good trip, Buffy. Don't worry about anything here, just enjoy your time away."

He waved goodbye and walked out the door.

On the drive home, Buffy thought about how to broach the subject. She knew he would notice something was up right away, so she would have to tell him. What if he'd already been thinking about it and not mentioned it to her, wanting her to come to her own decision? Should she be angry or grateful? God! This was so confusing!

She pulled into the garage and cut the engine, resting her head against the steering wheel. Why did Benny have to open his big mouth? She'd honestly not even considered it. Now, instead of things starting off light and fun as she'd hoped, they had to have a serious, possibly life-altering conversation. She grabbed her keys and purse, knowing if she didn't go inside soon, Spike would come looking for her. Too late, he'd already heard her.

"Hey, love, I didn't expect to see you home so early, not that I'm complaining, mind you." He pulled her into his embrace and kissed her forehead.

"Benny let me go early. He said with L.A. traffic, we should get an early start," she said, a little too brightly.

"Kitten, there's something you're not telling me. Has Joyce gotten her claws into you again? I swear, I don't care if she is your mother—"

"No, it has nothing to do with Mom. It's just something Benny said at work today, and now I have all these questions…"

Spike led her to sofa and sat her down beside him. "Now, tell me what's got you so upset, so I can make it better, yeah?" He swept a tendril of hair from her face and tipped her chin to meet his gaze.

She gathered all the courage she had and asked, "Where are we going to live when we get back from this trip?" She gazed into his eyes, hoping he would give her the answer.

Spike's eyes widened a bit, and he looked away for a moment before meeting her gaze again. "Well, I was hoping that would be a decision we could make together, but if you want the honest truth I don't think Sunnydale is the place for us. There are too many ghosts and toxic relationships here. I would be willing to look at other places with universities where I could teach and hospitals where you could work, or we could see how you like New York where I already have a job." Spike kept his eyes on hers, trying to gauge her reaction.

"So you'd already thought about it?" Buffy lowered her gaze, picking at invisible piece of lint on her skirt. "That's why you wanted us to stay in New York for so long?" Spike tipped her chin to meet his eyes. He saw her mouth formed in a line and tears threatening to form in her eyes. He took her hand in his, brushing her knuckles with his thumb. "Yes, but I wanted you to make your own decision. I didn't want pressure you into anything, didn't want you doing something you didn't want, just to please me." Spike wiped away the tears that fell, knowing he'd been the cause of them, and he wanted to do anything to stop them. "God knows, you've done enough in your life to please others. I want you to decide for yourself."

Buffy smiled and squeezed his hand as tears spilled down her cheeks. "I can be so blind sometimes. You know, it never occurred to me to think about what we would do after this trip. I mean, I knew I wanted to be with you, but that's as far ahead as I thought. I don't want this to be all about me, though. I think we should make the decision together. That's what couples do, right?"

As she spoke, Buffy wiggled her way into his lap. She traced the outline of his jaw with her fingertip, her eyes on his as if she were awaiting a reply.

"You're not blind, love. You've had a lot to deal with these past couple of weeks, with us getting back together and the hell Joyce has given you. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm happy you want me to have my say as well. You're right, you know. It should be a decision we make together, because it will affect us both. I knew there were other reasons I loved you other than your knockout body and amazing sexual prowess." Smirking devilishly, he leaned up to nibble on her lower lip.

Blushing, she playfully slapped his chest. "Mmm," she said, backing up. "And just what would those reasons be, pray tell?"

"Your brilliant mind and sense of fairness, of course," he whispered into her ear.

"You know what I think? I think you're up to no good, and time's a wasting. We need to get on the road." She laughed and poked him the ribs.

There was a teasing note in her voice, but Spike knew she was right. Playtime was over. They needed to get on the road now, to make it to the Osborne's before six-thirty.

"Oi, no poking!"

Buffy hopped right up. "Looks like your lap's all free. Now, what's your excuse?"

Spike put his hands on his hips and narrowed his eyes. "Nothing now, but there will be a lesson later for cheeky girls."

Buffy walked off toward the bedroom to make sure she'd not forgotten anything, her hips swaying gracefully as over her shoulder she called out to him, "Promises, promises."

Spike started loading the car. He was so proud of the woman Buffy was becoming, especially where Joyce was concerned. She no longer allowed her mother to push her around, but he just wished he'd seen it earlier. He wondered if his mother ever truly saw through Joyce's façade. He had to believe she didn't, or she wouldn't have allowed Buffy to have been treated the way she had, and there was no way she'd have been friends with Joyce had she known her true nature. Joyce, he decided, was a brilliant actress. Buffy was just more confident in general, and he was happy to witness it.

In a moment, Buffy came back into the living room with her overnight bag.

"You ready to hit the road? I'm sure we can make it there in plenty of time if we leave now," Spike said, taking the bag from her.

"Yep. I'm all set; just let me make sure everything's off and turn on a lamp, so it looks like someone's home. I'll meet you in the car." She stood on tiptoe and kissed his lips.

He smiled down at her. "Hey! Not that I'm complaining, but what was that for?"

Buffy giggled and poked him in the chest lightly. "Just for being you."

"I appreciate the sentiment, kitten, but there's no need for violence," he said with mock sincerity, turning to leave.

"Just go, you big dope!" she said, swatting his bottom.

"Oi! Name calling isn't nice either. You'd better watch your manners." He mumbled something about payback as he walked to the car.

Once they were in the car and on their way, Buffy began a barrage of questions about his life in New York.

"I know you teach English, but do you teach a specific kind, like American lit or English lit? Do you teach every day? Do you live nearby? What's your apartment like? Do you have a lot of friends?" She squeezed his hand and looked at him as she waited for him to answer.

"Do you need to stop and catch your breath before I answer all those questions, kitten? I don't think you took a single breath between any of them," he teased.

"Oh, sorry," she said, smiling in a self-conscious way. "I guess I just got carried away. It just occurred to me, we've never talked about any of that stuff, and I wanted to know." Buffy bit her lip, her cheeks now tinged pink.

"No worries. I got my undergrad at Columbia and post grad at NYU. I have a PhD. in English with a specialty in British literature. Yes, I live nearby, and I usually ride my bike or walk to classes. Depending on the semester, I teach either, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays or Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I have my office hours on those days.

"I have a two bedroom apartment in the Village. I use the extra bedroom for an office, and it has a futon that I used to sleep on when Mum came to visit. The closest friends I've mentioned to you: Giles; Wesley; his wife Fred; and my old roommate from Columbia, Jack Wall. Giles and Wesley are English. Fred is a Texan, and Jack is an Irishman. Does that answer your questions, or are there more you're dying to ask?" He looked over at her, his eyes twinkling.

"Hush, don't tease me! I'm just trying to gauge what I'm in for." She stuck out her lower lip in a pout.

"What you're in for! You make it sound like the Spanish Inquisition. Everyone's going to love you, and you're going to love them and the city." He leaned over and pecked her cheek. "Just wait and see."

Buffy let go of his hand and squeezed his thigh. "I'm sure everything's going to be fine. You know it's just a little nerve-wracking for me. I mean, I'm going to be in a new place, with all new people. A place that might become my home too, and I want these people to like me.''

Spike was beyond thrilled to hear her voice her contemplations. He wanted to pull to the side of the road and kiss her senseless. He guessed telling her would have to do for the moment.

Spike took her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing her knuckles. "Kitten, if they're even a quarter as enamored of you as I am, and I'm sure they will be, you haven't a thing to worry about. Could I hear that part again about it maybe becoming your home too? God! I want to stop this car and shag you six ways from Sunday!"

Buffy giggled and laid her head on his shoulder. "Jeez, Will! That was such a lovely thing to say right up until the shagging me six ways from Sunday part."

"Well, I'm sure they'll be plenty of time for that later, and I'm ever so sorry to upset your delicate sensibilities." He stroked her hair and kissed her temple.

"You're such a goof!" Buffy said, smiling, before kissing his cheek.

They continued to talk about his life in the city as they drove. Spike tried to prepare her as best as possible, but he knew she was in for a major culture shock.

Soon, they were headed into Long Beach and the GPS gave them directions to the Osborne's home. They pulled up in front of a charming Cape Cod-style bungalow with slate gray siding, white trim, and an inviting red door.

Spike turned to Buffy. "Now I'm the one who's nervous. Red's not gonna come at me with a broken bottle or some such is she?"

Buffy looked at him as if he were insane. "I've told you this about a million times! She knows about us, and she actually encouraged me to make the first move with you! Stop being a baby, and get out the car for God's sake!"

He stuck out his lower lip and gave her a kicked puppy look. "Take back the name and give us a kiss, and then I'll get out."

Buffy mocked his pout and sighed. Her tone was one of insincere reproach. "If that's what it takes to soothe your fragile ego, I guess I can do it. I'm so very sorry to have called such a virile man as you, a baby. Please, forgive me for my thoughtless words." Then she proceeded to lay one hell of a kiss on him.

When the kiss ended, both were out of breath, and he was as hard as a rock.

Smiling, Spike said, "You know what? You're a real piece of work, Summers. Your saucy mouth and your saucy tongue have put me in an awkward position." He took her hand and placed it on the bulge in his jeans.

"I'm sorry. Think of something gross, or stand behind me. If we don't go in now, she'll be coming out soon."

"Okay, I've got it. Your mother trying to mack on Mr. Woodward down the street."

"Eww, gross and poor Mr. Woodward!" Buffy wrinkled her nose in disgust at the thought.

Together, they walked hand-in-hand up the steps, and Buffy rang the bell.