Author's Chapter Notes:
As always, I'm grateful to my betas, Abby, Dawnofme, and Diebirchen. Thanks to Tanit for the beautiful banner.
I'm also thankful to those of you who follow this story, and I apologize for not being able to update on Wednesdays as I have in the past. As we all know, everyone one has a life outside this fandom, and it takes precendence over posting sometimes. I assure you, I will continue to post on a regular basis, just bear with me.
Buffy sat in her seat, tapping one of the armrests with her nails. Her left leg seemed to have a mind of its own and wouldn't stop shaking. Last night had been a nightmare of catastrophic proportions, and Spike had been behaving strangely since Lewis uttered the horrific question.



Willow tried her best to smooth things over, but nothing could be said or done to undo Lewis' question. Buffy felt as though she'd turned as bright red as the sauce on the pizza and lowered her head to keep Spike from seeing her face, hoping she wouldn't give anything away. Spike just laughed and said, "Only if she'd have me." What the hell was that supposed to mean? Damn it, she was getting pissed off, and this was not a good way to start off their first day in his home or his city.



She took a deep breath and tried her best to calm her nerves while the plane prepared for descent into La Guardia. Take-off had been bad enough without the strangeness of Spike's behavior making it a most uncomfortable trip. Now she was simply terrified. It was her first time flying, and the sensation of falling as the plane circled for landing was overwhelming. She gripped Spike's hand until her knuckles were white.



"Love, are you all right? I know you're scared, but everything's going to be just fine. Trust me." He leaned over and turned her cheek to meet his eyes. "Would it help if we snogged until we landed?"



"Oh, shut up!" Buffy said, slapping his hand away. "I'm terrified, and you're making jokes."



"No need to get shirty, kitten. I wasn't making fun of you. I'll do anything you want to keep your fears at bay."



"Shirty? What does that even mean? I swear! Where do you come up with these things?" Buffy glared at him, trying hard not to smile.



"It means, pissed off, out of sorts, and see, I've taken your mind off of things by making you all shirty. Though I think it would be much more fun to have a snog." He smirked mischievously, his blue eyes sparkling. "What's it gonna be? Huh?"



"Hmm," she said thoughtfully, putting her hand on her chin pretending to think about it. "I think…I'll go with the latter."



She grasped the back of his neck, her fingers twining into the curls at the nape, and pulled him in for a kiss. Spike's lips were warm and soft as they touched hers. He swept his deliciously talented tongue across the seam of her lips, requesting entrance, and she responded without encouragement. The kiss deepened, and they became oblivious to everything and all around them, until Buffy heard a distinct clearing of someone's throat and felt a light touch on her shoulder.



Buffy broke the kiss and pushed Spike away. They looked up to see a handsome young flight attendant smiling down at them.



"I'm sorry to disturb you, but we're going to be landing in less than five minutes. Everyone needs to be secure and facing forward," he said. Leaning down, he winked and whispered to Buffy. "I don't blame you, honey. You're one lucky girl."



Buffy giggled at his candor. "Thanks, don't think I don't know it."



When Buffy looked back at Spike, he was staring at her with his head tilted, and his eyes narrowed a bit.



"Care to fill a fella in on what that little exchange was about?"



"Oh God, are you jealous? Did we travel back in time to junior high?" Buffy bit her lip to keep from laughing.



"No, I'm not. I just don't like it when other blokes are chatting up my lady," he said, thrusting his chin up defiantly.



"Well, I hate to burst your bubble Mr. Testosterone, but he was only telling me what a lucky girl I was. It seems he thought you were a hottie." Buffy patted his thigh reassuringly.



"You know I have been told I'm rather handsome, but I'm strictly a one woman man." Spike teased, kissing her on the tip of her nose.



"I'm so glad to hear that! I thought if I told you, you might change your mind and leave me to pursue other options," Buffy said dryly and rolled her eyes.



Spike laughed heartily. "Aren't you the saucy one? I have to say, I find it incredibly sexy."



Buffy grinned, leaned over and whispered in his ear. "Maybe you can show me just how sexy you think I am, once we get to your apartment."



They'd been so busy with their banter, they hadn't realized the plane had landed, and it was now time to de-plane. Buffy got up first and began to get her few things from the overhead compartment. The plane was not full and they were flying first class, so there was no sea of bodies in front of, or behind them.



Spike stood closely behind and lightly pinched her bottom. "I'll do my best. Now, let's get out of here and get our bags. I can't wait to get you home."



She turned her head and flashed him a smile as she ground her bottom into his crotch. "I couldn't agree more."



They arrived at the baggage claim, and although Spike didn't have much luggage, Buffy was another story.



"Did you bring your entire sodding wardrobe with you?" Spike asked as he looked around for a cart to put all the bags on.



"I'm getting tired of hearing you go on about the amount of luggage I have. I didn't know what to prepare for, so I brought a little of everything. I've already told you, I won't take this much to England, so zip it!" She hadn't meant it to sound as harsh as it came out, so she put her arms around his waist, and apologized.



"It's all right. I know I've been a stupid sod, teasing you so much. Didn't mean to drive you round the bend though." He held her tight and kissed the top of her head. "Let me go get a cart, then we can get a taxi."



Buffy was glad his mood had changed, but she could tell he was still keeping something her. She had no proof, but she was going with her gut. She was off in her own world when he came back with cart for the luggage.



"Buffy, love, you in there? I called your name three times before you answered me." He took a step toward her and embraced her, looking down at her with a furrowed brow he asked, "You're not still angry over the luggage thing are you?"



"No, no. Don't be silly. I guess I'm just shocked to be standing here at all." She looked down at the buttons on his shirt, not meeting his eyes, hoping he wouldn't catch her in her lie.



"Great!" He took her hand in his and with the other one pulled the cart to the curb and grabbed a taxi. "Love, get in, and I'll help the man with our things. I won't be a minute."



Buffy got in the back seat of the older black Mazda, where the scent of patchouli was so overpowering, she nearly gagged. The musky sweet odor seemed as though it was embedded in every surface of the car. Spike opened the door and scooted over next to her, putting his arm around her. "You look a little green around the gills, love. You feel all right?"



"Mmm-hmm. How long of drive is it to your apartment?" She was trying as hard as she could not to breathe through her nose.



"I'd say about twenty-five minutes or so, depending on traffic. You'll get to see a lot of the city on the way in though. You'll like that, I'd imagine."



Buffy laid her head on his chest and took a deep breath of Spike to drown out the scent of patchouli, and it was heaven. "I can't wait. Everything's so busy and noisy. I've gotta say this is major culture shock."



He kissed her cheek and touched his forehead to hers. "I figured as much, but where I live it's not nearly as busy and noisy. You'll see."



They turned off East 34th Street onto Park Avenue South and Union Square East, headed into the East Village. Buffy was amazed by all the buildings and the people. It was literally a whole new world.



Spike pointed to a building on his left. "That's where I work, and we're almost to my apartment, just a few more blocks."



The taxi double-parked in front of a charming gray stone building with a black awning. "Are we finally here? Which one is yours?"



"The gray stone one with the black awning. You go on, and I'll see to our things." Spike got out on the other side and went to help the driver.



Buffy immediately got out of the car and took several deep, cleansing breaths. She walked to the trunk, where they were unloading the luggage.



"Will, I'm more than happy to carry my share. I don't want to you to have to make three or four trips just to get all our things." She gave him a genuine smile and started picking up bags.



Spike paid the fare and brought the rest of the luggage to the stoop. "Hold on, kitten, just have to get my keys." He opened the door to a marbled entryway with a wrought iron staircase. "I'm on the third floor. Sorry." Buffy thought she might burst into tears. "Okay, here we go," she said, heading toward the stairs.



"Or we could use the elevator," Spike said, smirking at her expense. "It's tiny, and we might have to make two trips but—"



"You've got to be kidding me! I rode all the way here with Mr. Patchouli, and you lie to me about walking up three flights of stairs with all these bags!" Her voice was almost at a level only dogs could hear, and tears were streaming down her cheeks.



Spike looked at her as if he was dumbstruck and maybe about to cry himself. "Jesus! Bloody Hell! I need to keep my fucking mouth shut, because I just keep saying the wrong sodding thing at every turn today." He took her in his arms and kissed her hair. "I'm so sorry, Buffy. I'm just so nervous about…never mind. I'm sorry, and I won't tease you anymore today. I swear."



She pulled back from him and cupped his face in her hands. "It's okay. I may have over-reacted just a teeny little bit. But honestly do all cabs smell that bad?"



He threw back his head and laughed. "We were in a great smelling cab compared to some I've been in. Now, let's get our things upstairs. The elevator's this way."



All their belongings fit into the small space, and they rode up to the third floor. After a short walk down a narrow hallway, Spike stopped to open a door and ushered Buffy into his apartment. It was not what she'd expected. Mahogany hardwood covered the floors and a large wool area rug of simple design, tied the living space together. One wall was exposed brick while the others were plaster painted in warm, neutral colors. Buffy could tell he liked clean lines. The furniture, a sofa and two club chairs in rich, tobacco-colored leather, was of classic yet modern design. The row of windows covering one wall brought freshness into the space, while the opposite wall of bookshelves, filled with records, cds, and books, brought character and hominess.



"This is fabulous, Will!" Buffy said as she circled the room, soaking up the feeling of it. "It really suits you." "I'm glad you like it. I've only lived here about two years. They'd just renovated the building when I moved in, so everything's updated, kitchen and bathroom. I even have a little balcony off my bedroom. You want the tour, or do you want to rest for a bit?" He put his hands in his pockets, swaying from foot to foot and waiting for her answer.



"Of course I want the tour," she said, hooking her arm through his. "Lead the way."



Spike led her through a doorway off the living room.



"First off is the kitchen. You can see how well it's been decorated. I don't cook a lot, so I mainly just heat things up in here and make tea or coffee in the mornings."



The granite counter tops were bare, and the stainless steel appliances looked new. The barely-used look of the kitchen was charmingly spoiled by the 1950's dinette set in the corner. The table with a red enamel top and four matching red chairs looked as though they had been well-loved by someone and were little worse for the wear, but still in decent shape.



"This is great! I love the dinette set. It reminds me of the one at your house when we were kids."



"Yeah, that's why I got it. I saw it in a thrift store one day and couldn't pass it up. I didn't realize how many happy memories I associated with that table until I saw it. You know happiest memories I have of that table? Being with you and Mum."



Spike hadn't meant to get sentimental over the damn table, and now he felt like sap.



"Oh, Will, that's the loveliest thought," Buffy said, leaning up on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "We'll have to make use of this table from now on, in honor of Anne. Now show me the rest, please."



Spike took note of the way her words spoke of their future together and felt a little better. It gave him hope that he hadn't shot the day to hell.



They headed out of the kitchen and down the hall, which provided access to a bathroom in the middle and two bedrooms on either side.



"That room to the left is my office. It's where I do all my research and grade papers and such. Here's the bathroom," he said, flicking on the light.



It wasn't huge, but it wasn't tiny either. The floor was glossy black tile and a stark contrast to the white fixtures.



"I see my favorite thing about this bathroom already," Buffy said.



Spike pulled her against him, enjoying the feel of her closeness. "What might that be?"



She leaned back against him, looking up. "The tub. It looks big enough for two, and a lot of fun."



He pulled her hair off her shoulder and nibbled her ear. "I think that's something we can definitely look into. Only one room left. You ready to see it, kitten?"



"I believe I am. Lead the way." She turned in his arms, and took his hand, and he led her into his bedroom.



The color palette in the bedroom was different from the subtle neutrals of the rest of the apartment. The walls were painted a steel gray, though they still gave a sense of warmth. The king-sized bed was mounted to simple black wrought iron headboard and covered by a duvet patterned in blocks of rich jewel tones.



"What do you think? Do you like it?" He hoped he wasn't putting too much pressure on her.



"I love it! It's warm and inviting. Makes me want to snuggle up with you right now. How does that sound?"



She came to him and put her arms around his neck, leaning up to kiss him. When he leaned down and pecked her cheek, she looked astonished.



"Buffy, I—there's something I wanted to ask you first, and I'd rather we did it in the living room, if you don't mind."



Buffy's eyes were wide with surprise, and her brow furrowed, but she did as he asked.



"Okay, I'll do whatever you need me to do. This seems very important to you."



He led her to the sofa and sat beside her, taking both her hands. "Before Mum's memorial, I gave you her jewelry, and I said the ring was her grandmother's."



Buffy nodded, but didn't look as if she knew where this was going.



"Well the truth is, it was her engagement ring. Mum was supposed to give it to me when I was ready to be married. Mum was a smart lady and a crafty one at that. She knew I still loved you, and I think she was just giving us the shove we needed. In spite of what happened last night, I'd intended on doing this. Buffy, I've never loved anyone but you, and I want to spend the rest of my days showing you how much. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?"



He gazed at her beautiful tear-stained face as tears streamed down his own.



Buffy's whole body was shaking, her mouth opened in a perfect "O" as if she were on the verge of speaking, but couldn't. She took her right hand from him, took off the ring and put it in his hand and closed it. "Will, I love you more every day, and I can't imagine a life without you in it. So yes, I would be honored to be your wife."



Buffy moved to kiss him, and he met her half way. Spike thought it was the sweetest kiss they'd ever shared. He moved back and took her left hand and placed the ring on her ring finger, just where it belonged.



"So what do we do now? I want to call everyone I know, but I also wanna shag you senseless." Spike kept touching her face, her hands, as if to confirm she were really there.



"I vote for the latter," she said, smiling as she wiped tears from her cheeks. "But first we're taking a bath. I can still smell that damn patchouli!"





Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts anyone?