Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry for the delay in posting. I've been besieged by problems in RL, preventing me from doing nothing other than taking care of them. I'm beginning to make my way back from the depths, and hopefully, I will be able to post regularly again soon. I hope you've not forgotten the story and enjoy the chapter. Thanks to my wonderful betas, Abby, Dawnofme, and Diebirchen. The beautiful banner was made by Tanit.
Spike set his phone down on the bedside table after texting tonight's plans to Giles, Wesley, and Jack. He looked down at his gorgeous fiancée, her head cradled on his right arm, her left arm and a leg draped across his body. She smiled and moaned his name in her sleep, stirring his arousal instantly, but he didn't want to awaken her.



He stared at the ring now on her left hand, and he couldn't believe all that happened in the few short hours they'd been in New York. If someone had told him six months ago he'd now be engaged to Buffy Summers, he would have laughed in his face. Leave it to his mum, even in her final hours, to know exactly what he needed.



Buffy yawned and stretched, arching her back against his arm. Her hand caressed Spike's chest and drifted southward, while she leaned forward and captured his right nipple in her mouth, rolling it to a hard peak with her tongue.



"Mmm, love, that feels good. Thought you were sleeping," he said, running his hand down her back, pulling her closer.



"Shh, I'm busy," Buffy said, grinning as she wrapped her hand around his erection. "Don't you know it's impolite to interrupt someone when she's trying to concentrate?"



She continued her explorations, kissing and licking his chest and stroking him with artful precision.



"I think it's safe to say, I'm the one having concentration problems, love," he said, his breath growing ragged.



Buffy gave him a coy smile as she slid down his body without stopping her strokes. She engulfed his cock with her mouth at a tortuously measured pace, licking, sucking, and never halting the movement of her hand.



"Oh, fuck! Buffy, mmhm." Spike pulled her hair into a loose ponytail in order to watch her. "Just like that, yeah. Christ, you're amazing!" he said, his hips gently thrusting.



Buffy moaned around him, as though she were having the most decadent dessert. Her vibrations and his voyeurism sent him over the edge, roaring her name before he fell back against the pillows with an irrepressible grin on his face.



Buffy smiled at him and rose up onto her knees. "I'm guessing you kinda liked that, huh? See, good things happen when you let me concentrate."



"Just get your smart little ass up here and give me a kiss," Spike said, wearing a silly grin as he reached for her. "You've rendered me almost useless."



Buffy climbed into his waiting arms, touching her nose and forehead to his. Buffy moved to kiss him gently, but before their lips met, Spike flipped them, so they she was now at his side, staring into depths of his eyes.



"Oh! What are you up to? I'm hungry, and you promised to take me to lunch, remember, before the shower, the—the sex, and the nap." She blushed and poked his chest playfully.



A deep chuckle rumbled through his chest. "You're adorable! Instead of all talk and no action, you're the antithesis. You just gave me the most amazing blowjob of my life, but you can barely say the word 'sex.' I bet it got you hot, didn't it?"



He trailed his hand up her leg and dipped his fingers down to the nest of curls at the apex of her thighs, finding them saturated with her arousal. "I love to know that pleasuring me turns you on. Lie back, and let me take care of you now," he said, his tone soft yet commanding.



Buffy let her legs fall open to his questing hand and pulled him down for a heady kiss, her tongue darting out meet with his, engaging in a seamless dance.



Spike traced her outer folds with tenderness, purposefully avoiding her clit.



"Mmm, feels so good. Need more!" Buffy arched against his hand, frantically trying to gain the much needed friction to find her release.



Spike peppered her neck and collarbone with kisses and nips. "Tell me what you want, kitten, and I'll give it to you." He smirked as a he sucked an erect nipple into his mouth.



"Oh, God! Fingers, I want your fingers, please!" She was past the point of caring what she said. She only knew what she wanted.



"That's my good girl." Spike rewarded her by slipping two fingers inside her and curling them upward to her special spot, pumping slowly in and out.



Buffy gyrated in time to his thrusts with equal force. "Ungh, harder, faster! Please!"



Spike continued as he nipped and kissed her breasts. He could tell she was close as he felt her walls begin to flutter, so he reached up and pinched her clit, sending her over the edge.



"Oh, Will! Oh, my God!" Buffy lay in a boneless heap, trying to catch her breath. "That was—I love you!"



He looked down into her lovely green eyes. "I love you too, Miss, soon to be Missus," he said.



Buffy blushed and smiled back at him. "I don't know about you, but I think we need a shower before we go anywhere, and I mean separate showers, just for safety's sake. I think we probably reek of something else now."



He tapped on her nose and gave her a chaste kiss. "I think you're right. Two showers coming up, then I promise I'll feed you. I can't have my woman starving."



Spike looked at the clock and noticed it was a quarter to four. "I hope you don't mind, but while you were napping I texted my friends about meeting us for drinks at six-thirty, so do you want to get something light now and eat dinner later or the other way around?"



Buffy sat up, pulling the sheet with her. "If we go out, we won't leave here for at least another hour, and that only really gives us an hour and a half to find a place for dinner, eat, then meet your friends. Why don't we just order something in now and have a snack later?"



He walked over to bed and sat down beside her. "You're absolutely right. Ordering in is the best solution. Tell you what, I'll hop in the shower, and you go take a look at the menus—second drawer to the left of the sink in the kitchen. See you in a bit, love."



He gave her a lingering kiss, reached down and retrieved his towel from where it had so carelessly been left earlier, and strode out of the bedroom.



Buffy appreciated the view as he left the room. His body was truly gorgeous, so well-muscled and lean, she wondered if…. Nope, she wasn't going there. She was starving, and she needed to look at those menus damn it!



Buffy got out of bed, pulled on one of Spike's t-shirts, and padded into the kitchen. She pulled on the drawer, which seemed to be stuck at first, so she pulled a little harder. The drawer flew open, and she saw why she'd encountered such difficulties. There must have been a menu from every delivery place in the Village. Thai, Mexican, Indian, Pizza, French, Italian, Chinese, Sushi, American—you name it, Spike had it.



Buffy looked at the drawer full of menus with wide eyes. She stood there with one foot hooked around her calf in a stork pose, while she chewed on her bottom lip. What she really wanted was a big juicy burger with lots of bleu cheese and bacon, but she had no idea where to begin to find it, and she felt silly for wanting a burger when there were so many other things to choose from. While she flipped through the endless menus, two arms banded around her waist, and Spike's chin came to rest on her shoulder. She could feel his damp skin through the thin cotton t-shirt. He obviously hadn't taken the time to dry off properly.



"Somebody doesn't know how to use a towel," she said in a teasing tone, turning around to face him. "Do you ever cook? There's like a menu in there for every freaking country in the world! There're so many things to choose from, and all I want is a burger and fries. Do you happen to know where we might find that?"



Her stomach rumbled at the thought of a juicy hamburger and crisp, salty fries.



"Why yes I do, kitten, but it's just easier to eat out when there's only one of me. I know the best place to get your burger, because it's one of my favorites," he said, plucking a green and yellow menu from the top of the pile. "If a burger's what you're after, this is your place. Choose whatever strikes your fancy, and I'll order while you're in the shower. It's not too far away, so it should be here quick. Fortunately, the first item on the menu was exactly what she was after. Stomach growling, Buffy handed the menu back to Spike and headed for the bathroom, unsuccessfully dodging a swat to her bottom.



Buffy took a look in the mirror before turning on the shower. Her hair wasn't in such bad shape after all, nothing a brushing and some rollers couldn't fix. After turning on the shower, she went to the counter to search her toiletry bag for a ponytail holder. She quickly secured her hair and stepped under the hot spray, smiling when she saw Spike had put her body wash and shampoo on the shelf next to his. She was so busy thinking about eating, she'd forgotten about the basics. When she was done with her shower she went back into the bedroom to find Spike sitting on the bed, staring at the phone. His brow was furrowed and his mouth was turned down in a slight frown.



Buffy walked over and sat in front of him. "Hey, why the long face?" She leaned over to stroke his cheek.



He smiled and caught her hand. "It's nothing really. I just wanted everyone to meet you tonight, and Jack can't make it. He wants to take us out for dinner tomorrow night to celebrate. Is that all right with you?"



"Well, sure it is. Anything you want to do is fine by me. The others are coming though, aren't they?" Buffy hoped no one else had canceled. It hurt her to see Spike upset.



"Yes, Giles, Wesley,,, and his wife Fred are going to meet us. I think you'll like them very much, and I think you and Fred'll have a lot to talk about. She's a developmental psychologist and works at a center associated with university. One of their specialties is diagnosing and treating children on the autistic spectrum. She also loves to shop and knows where all the best bargains are."



By the time he finished talking, he was smiling again. It meant a lot to her that he was trying to make her feel at home with his friends.



"She sounds great, but I'm also excited to meet Giles and Wesley. You don't have to play up all my interests. I want to meet your friends because they're your friends. They know things about you I don't, maybe funny, embarrassing things."



Spike looked stricken for a moment, his eyes going wide as saucers.



"I'm just kidding! Lighten up. It's all going to be fine," she said, smiling to show she meant it. "Shouldn't our food be here? I'm starting to feel faint."



At that moment the buzzer buzzed.



Spike smirked. "You were saying?" He stood and headed for the front door, calling back, "I'll meet you in the kitchen with dinner."



Buffy hurried into the kitchen, got a beer out of the fridge for Spike and plates and utensils for them before sitting down at the red dinette table. Spike walked into the kitchen carrying a large brown paper bag and a Diet Coke.



"Okay. My mouth is officially watering. Hand over the bag before you get hurt."



Spike chuckled. "Are you really going to assault me before I can get it out of the bag and onto your plate, Summers? I've forgotten how truly irrational you can be when you're hungry."



He took out her fries first and set them on the plate, then did the same with his, and finally, came the burger she'd been waiting for. He took his and set it on his plate as well.



"Did you want some ketchup for your fries?" he asked, watching in amazement as she'd not even given any pretense of waiting for him. A muffled response came from Buffy, but he had to ask again when her mouth wasn't full.



"Mustard," she said, taking another massive bite, chewing and swallowing. "I'm sorry, for being so piggish, but I'm starving. You know what I'm like if I get too hungry. It's your fault, you know. I haven't had anything to eat since breakfast this morning, and it's now past five." She tried and failed to adopt a pitiful pout.



He sat down across from her and gave her one his patented smirks. "Oh, I don't think you're one to be pointing fingers. I think the blame is shared. Need I remind you of your little seduction after our nap? We could have gone out for something then, but no, you were busy, not that I'm complaining. I'm just saying we need to look at things from both sides."



"You're right, and I'm sorry. We're equally guilty. I shouldn't have snapped at you. Forgive me?" she asked, leaning across the small table and taking his hand in hers. She noticed how long and slim his fingers were and imagined what a wedding band would look like on his hand.



After dinner, they cleaned up and went to get dressed. Buffy still needed to do her hair and make-up. Spike said the pub was about a fifteen minute walk from his place, so she needed to hurry, but that wasn't a problem for her. She was pretty low maintenance most of the time and prided herself on looking great with just the bare minimum.



"Spike, what should I wear? I don't want to be too casual or too dressy." Buffy was nervous as hell about meeting these people. She wanted so much for them to like her. After all, they were the only people she was going to know for while.



"Don't be daft, love. It's doesn't matter what you wear. They're going to love you, and we're just going to a pub, so jeans are fine." He kissed her forehead and squeezed her bottom.



Buffy chose a light peasant top and soft, worn ballet flats to go with her jeans, since Spike said they'd be walking. As she slipped on her earrings, she heard him call from the living room.



"Yes, I'm all ready to go. Lead the way."



He wrapped his arm around her, leading her out the door and down the hall to the tiny elevator.



The evening air was mild, and sounds of the city were strange to Buffy's ears. The pink sun was just starting to dip below the horizon, reminding her that summer was well and truly on its way. As they walked, she took in the countless and varying places they passed: bodegas, vintage clothing stores, boutiques, restaurants, record stores, book stores. She'd never seen so many different things in such a small space.



"My mouth's not hanging open is it?" She looked up at him as they stopped at a corner.



"Nope. You finding all this a bit much to take in?" He kissed the top of her head.



"Uh, yeah. I've never been anywhere remotely like this. I'm pretty much in culture shock, but it's not a bad thing. It's just something I'll get used to, right?" She met his eyes again, hoping for confirmation.



"I know, it's, it's nothing like Sunnydale, but trust me, you'll love it once you're used to it. You have everything you could possibly want, right at your fingertips." He pulled her closer as they started to cross the street. "It's just right up here on the left with the green awning."



Buffy looked ahead and saw the pub coming into view, and her stomach did a little flip-flop. She had no idea why she was so nervous. They were just people, but they were also Will's friends, and she wanted to make a good impression for his sake, if not for her own. When they reached the large, oak door Buffy took a deep breath.



Spike tipped her chin up, so her eyes would meet his gaze. "Have a told you how beautiful you look tonight? No worries, okay. They're going to love you. You know why? Because I love you." He kissed her softly, allaying her fears as he led her inside.



"Wow," Buffy said, feeling her nerves settle in the wake of the kiss.



"I think I'll keep you."



Inside, the Wellington was small and quiet, its dark, rich oak interior warm and welcoming. On the far wall of the bar there was a banquette with tables and chairs in front, and other smaller tables were interspersed throughout the small space, adding cozy warmth. Everyone there looked as if they belonged.



Somebody called Spike's name, and Buffy looked toward the banquette, where a handsome man with shaggy brown hair was waving them over. Beside him were a beautiful brunette with a mile-wide grin and a rather distinguished looking man in his early fifties.



The three of them stood as Spike and Buffy reached the table.



"Everyone, I'd like you to meet Buffy," Spike said, placing a comforting hand in the small of her back. "Buffy this is Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, his lovely wife Fred, and Rupert Giles, but everyone calls him Giles."



They exchanged pleasantries and took their seats around the table. Spike put a comforting hand on Buffy's thigh, rubbing it in soothing circles. She reached for his hand and grasped it tightly. She looked to him, as if asking what to do next. Thankfully, Giles asked her a question.



"Buffy, dear, how do you find New York thus far?" Giles gave her a warm smile, putting her instantly at ease.



"Well, I have to say it's been a bit of a shock to my system, but I'm enjoying it very much."



"I'm guessing no one's ordered yet?" Spike looked at Giles.



"No, we only arrived just before you."



Spike looked at the other two men. "So, that'll be three of the usual then, and two ciders for the ladies."



"That sounds good, but this round's on me. It's the least I can do, now poor Fred has another woman to talk to," said Wesley, clapping his hand on Spike's shoulder. "It's good to have you back, Spike. Why don't we three go to the bar? The ladies look like they can hold their own."



"Thanks. It's good to be home." Spike turned to say something to Buffy and realized she and Fred were talking animatedly about designer shoes or something equally foreign. "So Rupes, what exciting things have I missed in my absence?"



Giles rolled his eyes at the moniker and said, "Nothing of any consequence. Now, come and tell us all about this stunning young woman you've managed to ensnare."



Buffy watched Spike out of the corner of her eye as he and the other two men headed up toward the bar.



"How long have you known Spike?" Fred asked, her Texan accent sounding warm and friendly.



Buffy had immediately liked her "Oh, I've known Will since we were five. We grew up together, and his mother was sort of like a second mother to me." She bit her lip and ducked her head.



Fred placed her hand on Buffy's arm. "I'm so sorry. Her death must have been hard on you as well, but I'm glad you were there for one another. Have you two stayed in contact all these years?"



Buffy just assumed Fred knew the story, so it was a surprise to find she didn't. Buffy gave her a brief explanation of their history, finishing up with Anne's parting gift to them. Fred's eyes grew wider and wider the more Buffy talked, and by the end of her story, Fred was practically vibrating in her chair. "Gosh! That's just about the most romantic thing I've ever heard. I can't wait to hear the whole story sometime."



By then, the men returned from the bar and Spike sat down next to Buffy, setting a pint in front of her.



Buffy eyed him warily. "What's this? You know I don't drink beer."



"I know you don't, and this isn't beer. It's cider, and I think you'll like it. Have a taste and see." Spike gave her a challenging look. He knew she'd never back down now.



Buffy picked up the glass and took a tentative sip, then a larger one. "Mmm, this is really good. It's sort of tastes like caramel apples with a bite. What's it called?"



Spike chuckled at that. "It's called Woodpecker, and don't let the taste fool you. It packs a wallop if you have too many."



Buffy tilted her head and raised her eyebrows. "Tell me you're joking about the name?" Spike shook his head, and Buffy took another sip of the delicious golden drink before asking, "What, pray tell, are you drinking?"



"Black Sheep Riggwelter ale. It's our usual. You wanna taste?" Spike took a long pull off his pint, then offered it to Buffy.



"No thanks, I'll stick with my cider. It's really yummy." She pushed the pint back toward him.



About that time, there was a lull in conversation. Spike looked at Buffy and gave her a warm smile. Taking her hand in his, he said, "Buffy and I wanted you all to come out this evening, because we have some news to share. We're engaged!"



There was a collective gasp from the three other occupants of the table, then there were hugs and felicitations all around.



"Oh, Buffy, how exciting! Are you gonna have a big wedding?" Fred asked.



"I haven't even thought about that. I guess that's something Spike and I will have to discuss, but I'm guessing not. He only asked me this morning. You guys are the first to know."



When Buffy said the words, she realized she hadn't even thought to call her mother and a small pang of guilt shot through her heart, but the happiness she felt far outweighed the guilt. If they got home in time, she would call Willow and maybe her mother, but right now she was enjoying the company of her fiancé and his friends.



Buffy looked around the table at their smiling faces and hoped she would soon be able to call them her friends as well.





Chapter End Notes:
I would love to know how you felt about the chapter. Leave a review and let me know.