Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful betas, Abby, Dawnofme, and Marilyn. Fabulous Banner by Tanit.

Sorry for the short chapter. As the story progresses, the chapters will become much longer. If this goes well, I might even update on Saturday. Now on with the story. Thanks for all your reviews last chapter.

This is written for pleasure. I don't own these characters. Okay, some of them I do, but you know what I mean.





Spike Jameson loved his job as an associate professor of English; he'd studied long and hard to get there. Having just finished his lecture on the works of Oscar Wilde, he began to put away his notes and gather his things, just as his cell vibrated. He quickly rummaged through his satchel to answer it.

"Hi, Mum. Oh, sorry…Joyce? I saw the name and thought it was Mum." He felt suddenly lightheaded, and his heart fell to his stomach.

"William, you need to stay calm. I have bad news. I'm afraid your mother's had a heart attack." Joyce's voice was calm and controlled.

"Jesus! Is she okay? May speak with her?" Spike was becoming more frantic by the moment.

"She's at the hospital, and the doctors are with her now. I'm afraid I don't have any more information. I'll call you and let you speak with her the first moment she's able. I promise you, William. She's in very good hands, but I do think it would be good if you came.

"Joyce, promise me the minute you have any news you'll call; I need to speak to Mum. I have to hear her voice. I'm going right now to arrange a flight, and Joyce, thank you for being with her. Goodbye."

Spike stood there for a brief moment and took a deep breath, not knowing what to do next. His bloody world had just tilted on its axis.

He hurried to his office and booked himself on the first flight out to Los Angeles. He would have enough time to run by his apartment and gather his things and make it to LaGuardia on time. He stood on unsteady legs and walked down the hall to the office of the English department chair, Rupert Giles. The door was cracked, but he knocked softly before entering.

"Um, Giles…I'm afraid I've gotten a bit of bad news from home. My Mum's had a heart attack." Spike voice was raw with emotion.

"My God, man!" Giles jumped up and rushed out from behind his desk. "Is she all right? You have to go as soon as possible. I'm so sorry. Have you been able to speak with her? Do you know her condition?"

Spike could clearly see the concern his fellow colleague and friend had for him.

"The quickest flight I could get leaves in three hours. I don't have any further information. All I know is I need to go to her." Spike fidgeted with the nameplate on Giles' desk.

"Of course, Spike. You know your classes will be covered. Giles set his hand on Spike's shoulder and gave it a firm squeeze. Family is the most important thing. Go home and gather your things. Take all the time you need. Keep me abreast of the situation, and do call if you need me. I truly am terribly sorry." Giles hung his head as if he didn't know what else to say.

"Thanks mate. I'll call you when I can."

Spike hurried out the door before his emotions got the better of him.

Grabbing a cab, he headed toward his apartment. Once inside, Spike closed his eyes and took deep calming breaths, trying to assure himself things were going to be fine. Modern medicine could do amazing things these days, but he still had a niggling fear in the back of his mind that things didn't always work out as one hoped.

When he arrived at his apartment, Spike's hands were shaking, making it hard to fit the key in the lock. Finally unlocking the door, he went into the bedroom and began to collect his things, grabbing his suitcase from underneath the bed.

He had just seen her over the Christmas holidays. She was the same old mum: loving, kind, generous, but with a bit of spark in her as well. He talked to her every week, and she never mentioned a thing about feeling unwell. Going into the bathroom to gather his toiletries, he thought about her and their relationship. They were as close as any mother and son could be, but he wished now he'd gone home over spring break instead of staying in the city. Why hadn't he? He no longer remembered.

The shrill ring of his cell phone broke him from his reverie.

"Hello?"

"William…"

"Oh, Joyce, sorry, I was hoping you would be Mum." Spike's heart clenched.

"William, honey, I'm afraid the news isn't good. The doctor says there's been irreparable damage to her heart, but they're not sure how extensive the damage is yet. She's stable for now, but…William you need to get here as soon as you can."

Spike wiped away the tears spilling down his cheeks. "Can she talk to me?"

Joyce tried to be as collected as possible. "She can talk, but only short while. I'll give her the phone."

Spike felt as though he was going to be sick. He was terrified. This might be the final time he spoke to his mum, and there were so many things he wanted to say. "I'll get into LA around six o'clock, which should put me in Sunnydale by nine at the latest. Call me the minute anything changes."

"William?" Anne's voice sounded faint and breathless.

"Mum," Spike said.

"William, how are you, darling?"

It pained him to hear her sound distressed, but at the same time, he was also relieved to hear her voice. He thought it was so like his Mum to be asking how he was when she was the one lying-in after having a heart attack. "I'm fine, Mum. You're the one to be worried about. I need you to get better."

"William, dear, I don't think I'm going to get any better. I'm sorry. There are some things I need to tell you." "I may be gone by the time-"

"Mum, please don't talk that way. I'll be there this evening. I'm packing my things this minute."

"Son, you're not listening to me. You've been the best son a mother could ask for. You've had your moments like all of us do, but I couldn't have wished for better. I'm so proud of the man you've become. I think the two of us did pretty well on our own, don't you?" Anne sighed and made a wheezing sound that made Spike stifle a sob.

"Yes, mum, I think we did a bloody fine job on our own. You're the best mum anyone could have asked for. Who else's mum could be so kind and loving, yet still have given old Mr. Spencer hell over a tenth of point on my 12th grade English final to make sure I was valedictorian."

They both chuckled at this memory.

"I did what I had to do. You deserved it, but now I need you to listen. I have my affairs in order. All the papers are in the sideboard in the dining room in the top left drawer. I want you to do one very important thing for me."

Spike could tell she was getting weaker, and they didn't have much longer.

"Anything you want, Mum. I love you more than anything, just ask it, and I'll do it." Spike's voice trembled from his crying.

"I want you to ask for forgiveness from Buffy. I know what happened before you left for college, and I think you need to do this for both your sakes."

Spike's heart constricted. He had no idea his mum had any knowledge of what had happened between him and Buffy. Yet he made his promise, and he wouldn't go back on it. The only question was how to apologize to someone who wanted nothing to do with you?

"William, my love, I'm getting a bit tired. I'm going to have to go. Just know that I love you, and I'm proud to call you my son."

Anne's breathing seemed more labored now, so Spike knew he should let her rest.

Unchecked tears were falling down his cheeks. "I love you, Mum. I'll see you soon."

Spike clicked off the phone and fell to the floor sobbing.