Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Diebirchen for beta and Minx DeLovely for the read through.
Spike leaned back against the arm of the sofa, Buffy between his knees, reclining against his chest as she sipped a glass of wine. The stereo was turned down low and playing "Exile on Main Street" by The Rolling Stones, though Mick Jagger's voice was as recognizable as ever, it seemed softer and less world-weary. Spike ran his fingers through her hair, pulling it one side, and kissing her where her neck met her shoulder. Buffy hummed in approval.

They had spent the entire day visiting Anne's favorite places. He was so grateful to Buffy for suggesting they do that. One of the many places they'd visited was the Guggenheim on Upper East Side. Anne had not only loved the art there, but also the architecture of the building. She'd been a great fan of Frank Lloyd Wright. It had been very cathartic for him. He was able to create new memories with Buffy at each of these places and no longer associate them with sad thoughts of not having his mum there. He would still miss her, of course, and always think of those places when he thought of her, but he now had a different outlook on them, thanks to Buffy. She'd not spoken for awhile, and her eyes were closed, but he could tell by the rhythm of her breathing, she wasn't asleep.

"Love, you seem to be deep in thought. What's going on in that head of yours?" He took her wine glass from her before he continued his trail of kisses.

"Hmm, that feels nice. You're making it hard to concentrate," she said, turning to face him. "I was just thinking about the lovely day we spent and how much I enjoyed it. I was also thinking about how wonderful it feels to just sit here with you and do nothing."

"I know. Thanks for doing that. It was kind of like having her back for a little while," Spike said, stroking her hair.

"It was my pleasure, and I didn't want to be anywhere else. Thank you for sharing that part of her with me, but I'm still worn out."

I'm pretty tired myself, but Jack's very excited to meet you. He's known about you since we were freshmen." He tried to pull her closer for a kiss, but she resisted, putting her hand against his chest.

The color drained from her face. She opened and closed her mouth, but no words would come immediately. "G-great, so, he thinks I'm a bitch. That's just wonderful! I'm sure he'll be thrilled when you tell him you're going to marry me!" Buffy looked like she might cry. "Now I really want to meet this Jack."

"Buffy, don't be daft. He doesn't think you're a bitch. I've been talking to him since we've been together." He tried to take her hand to pull her to him for a hug, but she was having none of it.

"Don't be daft? You…you called me some ridiculous British word for stupid! "Buffy glared at him with her bottom lip protruding just the tiniest bit.

Spike raised his eyebrows and tried his best not to smile. "I didn't say you were daft. I said you were being daft, and those are two very different things. I'm sorry. It's just an expression, and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, kitten. Come here and give us a kiss, please. I was very rude and deserve to be punished." He held out his arms and waited for her.

Buffy put her arms around his neck and rested her forehead against his, her eyes sparkling. "You're exactly right. You were mean to me, and you should be punished. She leaned back and sighed. "But I guess you can have your kiss now."

Buffy leaned forward and captured his lips, his tongue darting out to tease hers. She put her hands on his cheeks, pulling him deeper into the kiss. His hands were busy skating up her sides to cup her breasts. His thumbs grazed her already hardened nipples, causing her to moan into his mouth. She raked her nails down his chest on her mission to pull his t-shirt off. However, he seemed to be taking his time with her blouse, unbuttoning it one button at a time.

"Somehow, this doesn't feel very much like punishment to me. I feel extremely well-rewarded," he said, before tracing one her nipples with his tongue, though the lace of her bra.

"Hmm…who says your punishment has to be immediate?" She arched her back to give him better access. "But aren't we supposed to be meeting Jack fairly soon? We'd better start getting ready."

"Yes, you're right, and I am feeling rather grimy from all the walking we did today. I think a nice hot shower is in order. What about you? Care to join me?" He'd slipped off her blouse and was unhooking her bra as he raised his eyebrows and ran his tongue over his top teeth.

"Well, that's an incredibly tempting offer," Buffy said pulling his shirt over his head. "I don't see how I could refuse you, and it will save time."

"Oh, I don't know about the time saving, but I know it will be much more fun." He scooped her up and carried her toward the bathroom.

Buffy giggled into his neck. He loved the way her warm breath felt on his skin. He hoped tonight would go well. Jack could be a bit much to take if you didn't know him well, and Spike was praying he'd be on his best behavior tonight.

Spike was still in his towel looking for something to wear, and Buffy was in her robe, blow-drying her hair. She hadn't intended to get it wet, but one thing led to another and well…now, here she was. She thought about the day they'd spent together and the closeness Spike and Anne shared. She'd never really had that with Joyce. Joyce always wanted to treat her like a child, no matter her age. She never confided important things to her and looking back on it, any displays of real affection were only ever given in front of others. Buffy still felt a pang of guilt for not yet having called to tell her of the engagement. She decided when she was done, to take a moment and call her mother. She would share the news and let her know she loved her. Her conscience would be clear.

Spike came over to her and wrapped his arms around her from behind as she finished with her hair. "Is something wrong? You seem a bit off."

"No. I was just thinking about today... and about my mom. I really need to call her and tell her about our engagement. I want to have a better relationship with her. I can't see us ever having what you and Anne had, but I'd like my relationship with her to be better than it is now."

"Love, I understand. You should call her, and I hope she's happy for us. I don't want her to hurt you anymore. It makes me so angry to think of the things she's done to you…to us." Spike was trying to keep his tone as even as possible. The last thing he wanted to do was upset Buffy.

"I understand your need to protect me, but this is something I have to do for myself. I can't let you fight my battles, especially with her. If you don't mind, I'm going to go into the living room and give her a call." Buffy reached down to get her cell from her purse.

"I'm here if you need me. Not to put a rush on things, but we need to leave in an hour. Will that be enough time for you?" Spike asked, cupping her cheeks and giving her a sweet kiss.

"Yes, that's plenty of time, and she may not even be there. Who knows?" Buffy punched in the numbers and began to walk toward the living room.

"Hello, Buffy. I was wondering when you'd call. Is everything all right, dear?" Joyce asked, with a bit of an edge to her voice.

"Hi, Mom, I'm glad I caught you. I'm sorry I've not called sooner, but things have been a little hectic. Everything's fine. In fact, that's one of the reasons I was calling." Buffy sat on the sofa and bit her lip, waiting to hear what her mother said next.

"Have you and William had a falling out? I told you going there was a bad idea. Is it as noisy and busy as it looks on television?"

Buffy rolled her eyes and wondered what made her want to do this. "Yes, I mean no. Will and I haven't had a falling out. I meant it is noisy and busy, but that's not really the issue. Mom, Will asked me to marry him, and I said yes." There was silence on the other end of the line, so long that Buffy thought she'd lost the connection. "Mom, are you there? Don't you want to congratulate me?"

"Yes, I'm here. I'm just a bit stunned. I know you love him, but are you really certain he loves you? He's just lost his mother. This proposal could just be the grief talking. I think you should be careful. He's just going to hurt you in the end. When are you coming home?" Joyce's tone was condescendingly sweet.

Buffy could feel the anger boiling inside her. Her eyes burned as she felt tears form. She decided then and there she'd had enough. She was through making concessions. If Joyce wanted to have a relationship, she would have to be the one to make the next effort. Buffy felt as though she'd tried all her life to be the best daughter she could, but she was never quite able to meet Joyce's ludicrous expectations.

Buffy steeled herself and made her voice as steady and calm as possible. "I'm sorry I called you, Mom. I really am. I spent the day with Will remembering Anne and how much he loved her, how much we loved her, and I thought about how nice it would be for you and me to be as close as Will and Anne were. I was trying to reach out to you and share the most important event in my life with you-and you diminish it by telling me he doesn't really love me! How can you be so cruel and pretend to care?"

"I'm sorry if you think I'm cruel. I'm just being honest. I can't help it if you're too blind to see. I always thought Anne fawned over William a bit too much. Is that what you're looking for, praise?"

Buffy knew if her mother was there she would have more than likely slapped her by now. Oh how she wished she hadn't made this call, but she had, so she had to finish it. "You're cruel and self-centered. You've never once taken my wants or needs into consideration above your own. Anne fawned over William because she loved him and was proud of all he accomplished. They loved one another. I love you because you are my mother, but I sure as hell don't like you! As for my coming home, Will and I will be back to take care of the rest of the things he needs to with Anne's estate and putting the house on the market. I will be resigning from work and putting my house on the market. We plan to make our home here."

"I don't know what to say…" Joyce sounded a bit dumbfounded.

"That's fine. You don't have to say anything else. I think we're done. If you want to talk to me respectfully, you have my number. Goodbye, Mom." Buffy pressed the button to end the call. She felt a bit of sadness, but also very empowered. She walked back to the bedroom with new found confidence.

"Well, how'd it go?" Spike stopped buttoning his navy shirt and waited for her answer.

"Well, it definitely wasn't all hugs and puppies…" Buffy tried for a light tone as she moved past him toward the closet.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think it would be, but what exactly happened?" Spike came over and put his hand on her shoulder, kissing the side of her neck.

She turned to him, not quite meeting his eyes. "It was a disaster. She was her normal awful self, and I told her our plans."

He pulled her into his arms and stroked her hair. "I'm so sorry. I'd hoped it would go better. I can tell you something though," he said, tipping her chin, "It's completely her loss. You've done all you can do. And you do have a handsome, dashing fiancé who absolutely adores you." He kissed the tip of her nose, then gave her a squeeze.

Buffy smiled up him. He could see the unshed tears in her eyes. "I'm a very lucky woman indeed. Have I told you how much I love you today?"

"No, I don't believe you have."

"Well, I do love you, but I love you so much I can't fathom how to measure it, besides you're the one with all the words, not me." She leaned up and kissed him with a gentle intensity, as though she were trying to convey all her feelings through that one kiss.

"Wow, I think you did very well with both things, actually. I love you too, you know, but we need to get a move on. I've called for a cab, and it'll be downstairs in about fifteen minutes."

"I know you do. Give me ten, and I'll be ready to go, all right? Now shoo." Buffy pushed him toward the door, so she could finish dressing.

She put on a charcoal gray slip-dress and quickly applied some light make-up and perfume before sliding into her heels. "Okay, I'm ready to go," she said, walking into the living room.

Spike was peering out the window for the cab. "Cab's here. Shall we?" He took her hand, and they walked out the door. "You look amazing as always, love, and you smell delicious." Spike put his arm around her after locking the door, and they walked toward the elevator.

Once they were in the cab, Spike gave the driver directions to place where they were meeting Jack. He had made the reservations, and the restaurant was new, so Spike didn't know anything about it.

The restaurant was on a small side street; a white awning with word SŌ printed in black lettering marked the elegant entrance. Spike paid the driver, and they walked toward the intricate wrought iron door, leading them to the restaurant. Once inside, Spike inquired about their reservations and found that Jack had yet to arrive. They were quickly shown to their table.

"This is lovely place. I was hoping he would already be here, so we could get the introductions out of the way," Buffy said, her eyes darting toward the door.

Spike looked up from his phone. "I'm sorry, he's just texted me. He'll be here in about ten minutes. I don't know why you're so worried. Everything's going to be fine. Why don't you have look at the wine list, or do you want a cocktail?" Spike took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"A martini would be great. We can wait on the wine. I'm nervous because he knows our history, and I feel like I'm going to be on trial." Buffy pushed at the silverware, then reached down to smooth an invisible wrinkle in her dress.

The waiter came, and Spike gave him their drink orders, informing him they were waiting on a third party.

"Love, he's not going to judge you. He's just excited to meet you, and he's my best mate. I want the two of you to get along. Anyway, how could he not love you, hmm?"

"Oh, yes, how could he not? I wouldn't speak to you for eleven years. Does that ring any bells for you?"

Buffy wanted to shout hallelujah when the waiter came back with their drinks. She'd already taken a huge gulp before Spike could speak.

"Easy there, don't down the whole thing in one go," he said, slightly pulling it away from her. "Yes, it does, but that's ancient history. I think we're beyond that now. Take a look at your left hand." He lifted said hand to prove his point.

Buffy could feel the vodka warming her system, and she was starting to relax. "You're right. I'm sure I'm just over reacting. That phone call just got me really out of sorts."

"Oh, here he is now," Spike said, waving to a tall, thin man with unruly mop of auburn curls. He was wearing a rumpled linen jacket over a t-shirt with faded jeans, and the ensemble was completed by lived-in, black, Chuck Taylors.

Buffy wanted to laugh outright. She'd been afraid of meeting this guy. He looked harmless, like someone you wanted to hug, not run from. In fact, he looked like he'd just rolled out of bed, clothes and all. She and Spike stood to greet him, and he went to Spike first, giving him a one-armed hug and slap on the back.

"Jaysus, mate, it's good to see you! Feels like I haven't seen you in an age. You certainly don't look the worse for it." He turned and smiled at Buffy, holding out his arms. "I can't believe it's the Buffy Summers. How the hell did Spike finally manage it?" He smiled at her, but Buffy could see something else in eyes, just before he hugged her.

"It's great to finally meet you. Will's told me all about you. I'm envious of your job with all the traveling you must do." Buffy ignored his question and tried to shift the conversation as far from the topic of her and Will as possible.

"Yeah, well I hope he's only told the good parts, and not what a rat bastard I can be." He smiled at Spike and punched him in the arm. "Sorry to slag off on you last night, but I had a deadline I had to make. What was the big news you and your girl here had to share? She's not up the spout is she?"

Buffy gave Spike a questioning glance, and he just rolled his eyes. "No!" His cheeks were tinted now, so Buffy knew it was something inappropriate. He lifted her left hand for Jack to see the ring. "We're engaged! Isn't that brilliant?"

Buffy waited for Jack's reaction, and he coughed and spluttered, looking as though he might swallow his tongue. Buffy wanted to laugh in spite of herself.

"No way! That's absolutely mad, congratulations!" Jack stopped the waiter and ordered a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. "This certainly calls for a celebration! When's the big day?"

Spike and Buffy exchanged glances and Spike spoke for them. "We haven't gotten that far yet, but we don't plan on a long engagement."

"You never answered my question, Buffy. How did Spike finally win you over?" Jack fixed her with a pointed gaze, and she felt her cheeks flame under his gaze.

"You certainly are persistent, aren't you? But I guess you have to be in your line of work. Are you working on any good stories right now?" Buffy was trying desperately to deflect attention from her.

"Oh, I'd say I'm working on a fine one right at the moment. My subject's just a little unwilling to cooperate." Jack gave her a charming grin.

"Jack, go easy her, mate. I think you're making her a little uncomfortable, and I promised her you'd be nice," Spike said, looking squarely at Jack.

Just then the champagne arrived, and glasses were filled all around. Jack raised his glass in a toast.

"To old friends and new. Spike, Buffy, may you have many lovely years of wedded bliss."

Buffy and Spike raised their glasses to his as well and thanked him for the toast. Soon they ordered their meal and the conversation flowed. Jack regaled Buffy with tales of Spike's college days and dating mishaps. He had her in stitches half the time, much to Spikes chagrin, especially when he revealed a particular girl whom Spike had dated for a very short time, but she didn't seem to get the message when he'd broken it off. Spike knew what was coming and slid further down in his seat.

"It seems this girlie's bust size was higher than her IQ. She just wouldn't leave him alone. The best thing about her was the pet names she gave him, 'Spikey' and 'Blondie Bear.' " Jack was guffawing by the time he'd finished.

Buffy was laughing so hard she was near tears. She had to compose herself before she could speak. "Ahh… Oh, my! That's too much. How did you ever get away from her, Spikey?"

Spike shot both of them a withering glare. "She met some bloke in the army and moved on, and I'd be carefully with name calling, missy."

Buffy looked at him, eyes wide with mock innocence. "I was just trying it on. After all, I don't really have any terms of endearment for you."

"Well, think of better ones, or I'll think of some for you." He raised his eyebrows and gave her a wicked grin.

Jack watched the two of them together. "I see she can most certainly hold her own with you. She's fiery, this one and a fine bit of stuff as well. You've certainly met your match, mate."

Before Spike could say anything, Buffy put her hand over his as silence him. "You really want to the answer to your question? I'll tell you. Will didn't have to do a damned thing. I just came to my senses, and I'm so grateful he still felt the same way." She leaned over and kissed his cheek for emphasis.

"Well, Will, I'd say you're one lucky arse. Why don't we head over to 610? The night is young, and I hear the craic there is great, but I need to stop along the way and pick up some fags. I had my last one just before I came in," Jack said with a wicked twinkle in his eyes.

"Sounds like a sound plan to me, mate. Love, you ready?" Spike stood and took Buffy by the hand to lead her out.

Buffy gripped his hand like a vice and whispered. "Have you lost your mind? What the hell kind of person is he?"

Spike just chuckled and pulled her along. "It's not what you think, love. I'll explain."


Chapter End Notes:
"Craic" is the Irish word for fun and sounds like crack, so you can see where Buffy would be alarmed and, of course, "fags" is another word used for cigarettes in many parts of Europe, Ireland included.