Author's Chapter Notes:
Contest: Rufus Thursley is a conman but Buffy, a cynical chain smoking woman sees right through his tricks. About to become sexual.

Tweaked: They know each other (for the sake of containing the idea to one chapter) but the characteristics remain the same

I hope that Sugar_Slave doesn't mind as this chapter is dedicated to their wonderful idea!


Note: Ok: Spike’s hair is only red in this because I looked up the name Rufus and well, it means red haired lol.
Buffy fought back her tears when she opened her eyes, and as suspected, was no longer with Catch, it had been an emotional journey, that was for sure.

So far she’d had the cowboy, the lord, the dancer, and the biker: what could possibly be next?

Her eyes widened when her hand, seemingly with a mind of its own, dug into her purse, pulled out a smoke and lit it.

She closed her eyes for a moment, she could feel a sickness eating away at her from the inside; cancer she realized.

“Excuse me, miss?”

She fought back a laugh when she turned to see Spike 2 with shocking bright read hair, though it was slicked back in his trademark style. The suit he wore didn’t look bad either though a part of her whispered it was stolen.

“Can I help you?” she asked with a dark smirk on her face.

“Please, I’m trying to get to 1789 Spark street.” He held up a map and leaned in close so that she could point it out for him.

The next moment had him yelping in pain, his wrist twisting unnaturally in her grip, her wallet dangling from his fingers.

“I’d say I’m surprised but…” she didn’t finish her sentence, just dropped his hand and took another pull on her smoke.

“I think you broke my hand” he said angrily, through clenched teeth, trying not to wince with his obvious pain.

“And I should care because???”

“Because…okay, so maybe you shouldn’t.”

“I didn’t think so” she said haughtily. “You’re going to end up in jail one day Rufus.” she added with a sigh.

He smiled at her and she melted a little, but the hard wall around her heart didn’t, nor did the firm set of her mouth.

“Nah, Cloudydale residents aren’t bright enough to catch on, I swear you could give them proof positive of vampires existing and they’d still go strolling through alley ways after dark.

“Whatever, it’s not my problem.” she answered with a shrug of her shoulders, the slayer inside her screaming in agreement with his statement and in disagreement with hers.

“Buffy, one day I’m going to get us out of here” he promised and she laughed and started to walk away. “Whatever Dufus Thursley, I’ll see you later.”

He watched her walk away with sadness in his heart; she was so negative, so sad. Just then a lovely couple walked by and he chased after them. “Excuse me” he called out…


It was much later in the evening when he returned to the small ramshackle house Buffy lived in and was nice enough to let him stay in until he could find his own place.

“Hello? You home Buffy?” he called out into the quiet house.

He heard her coughing in the kitchen and ran to get her a glass of water, putting it into her shaking hand while the other held a lit smoke.

“Those things will kill you” he said softly and she glared at him.

“I already have cancer Rufus, what do you want me to do?”

“Quit. Fight the disease, you’re strong, you can beat it.”

She threw her head back and laughed, sitting on one of only two kitchen chairs, chairs obviously meant to be in a backyard.

“I don’t want to beat it Ru, I’m tired of fighting, I’m tired of losing. And you can’t con me”

He shook his head and sat across from her, “Big score tonight?” she asked mockingly when he emptied the contents of his pockets on the table, scattering 3 rings, a watch and two wallets onto it.

“I almost have enough money to take us to L.A”

“I won’t make it to L.A” she said bitterly, even though it was only a few hours away.

He looked at her, really looked at her and bit back his tears. Her skin was far too pale to call her healthy, the black smudges under her eyes making the once lively green seem sallow. The other morning she had coughed up blood, of course she didn’t know he had noticed and he hadn’t mentioned it.

“Have you contacted Liam?” he asked carefully, knowing the subject was raw.

“Pffft, fuck him” she spat out.

He had left her almost three years ago today: no letter, no goodbye, no divorce papers sent in the mail. He had just disappeared, and she hoped he was dead.

“Why do you care anyway?”

He raised his hands in mock surrender, “Because you were happy with him.”

She tossed her cigarette butt into a glass of water, uncaring.

“I was a lot of things Rufus. Better off, healthier, more caring, but I wasn’t happy. I don’t think I ever will be.”

“Don’t I make you happy Buffy?”

She shook her head, “No.”

At his crestfallen look she added, “But you make me less sad.” she offered with a small smile on her lips.

“Give me the chance to try then” he pleaded.

She reached up and cupped his cheek, a slight tremor in her hand from the disease’s progress in her system.

“If you could build a time machine and go back, and meet me when I was younger Rufus, before I got sick, I would be happy with you.”

He pressed a kiss into the palm of her hand. “Then give me tonight if you can’t give me anything else”

She looked him in his eyes and nodded her ‘yes’.

He walked to her chair and lifted her up, making sure she was holding onto his neck tightly as he walked her to the double bed in the corner with the tattered blanket and old sheets. But tonight, tonight it was a canopy bed with satin sheets and a cashmere wraps.

He placed her on the bed and gently undressed her, her whole body shaking with tears she would never shed, a need she would never voice, and a soul-deep fatigue she couldn’t, or wouldn’t, fight much longer.

His own fingers shook as he ran them across her taut but pale skin.

“You’re beautiful Buffy”, he whispered, pressing a soft kiss to her lips to silence whatever retort about to escape her mouth, and to his surprise she kissed him back with more passion than he’d ever seen her express.

They stayed that way for awhile, his hands roaming her body while he managed to undress himself, and then he was on top of her, looking at her closed eyes. Kissing each of her eyelids he pleaded with her, “Keep them open, stay with me Buffy”

She nodded and moaned as he pushed into her gently, stopping for a moment to kiss her neck while she adjusted to the feel of him deep inside her, a guttural moan escaping her lips, tears threatening to fall but they wouldn’t. Buffy wouldn’t open that dam – that pain filled and heartbreaking dam - and leave the real Buffy of this body to deal with the consequences of it. She felt herself mourning for the loss Rufus would suffer soon, obviously holding this woman dear and she found herself wondering if all the Buffy’s in every dimension would feel her passing, as if they were all somehow connected, a part of each other in a bigger plan they couldn’t hope to understand.

When he began to move inside her she clung to his arms, her eyes willing him to see everything she couldn’t say right now.

“You’re so warm and tight Buffy, so good” he whispered, “I’m going to get us out of here and we’ll see the world, just me and you and eternity”

“All the time in the world” she heard herself whisper back, inner muscles tightening around him slowly, drawing him in deeper, drawing out his demons for the time being.

“I’m going to love you every second of everyday for the rest of my life Buffy.”

She knew he was telling her the truth, and she knew he was close, could see the sheen of sweat on his flawless skin and she spasmed around him. The feel of her liquid heat surrounding him and the way her muscles were milking him had him gasping with release in time with hers.

He continued to pump into her lazily, “You’ll get better, we’ll be happy, I’ll make you happy.”

She kissed him and hugged him to her, “Yes, I’ll get better, we’ll be happy.”

And just like that Buffy conned the con man.

She knew from the slight tremble in his body that he was fighting off his tears, “I love you” she whispered and closed her eyes.


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you to Sugar_Slave, this chapter is theirs!!!