Author's Chapter Notes:
Its been awhile, I know, since Chapter 1 was posted here, but hopefully someone somewhere is still interested? :)
Chapter 2: Gulp

Buffy’s brain was running on autopilot. Her sanity had left the building and Spike was following her rapidly up the stairs to the shower. Spike was going to use her shower. He would be in her bathroom, using her towels, and her soap, and suddenly Buffy felt the urge to break open a new box of Dove.

They walked the rest of the way in a sort of stunned silence, both unsure of exactly what they were getting into, but they continued their trek all the same.

Reaching the top, Buffy turned on her heal sharply to stare down at him. He was beaming like a child. His eyes were bright and hopeful like she’d never seen and for a second she forgot that she had been about to reprimand him for tracking little drops of water all over the floor. The look swiftly disappeared though as he realized he’d been caught so gleeful. She gave him a knowing glance arching her eyebrow.

“What, Slayer? I’m practically marinating in rubbish. Can you blame a bloke for being a little excited?” he spat defensively.

Buffy rolled her eyes and continued her way down the hall. “A little? You looked like a kid on Christmas. It’s just a shower, Spike.” Though both knew it was more than that though.

‘It’s your shower…’ Spike mused. The thought gave him a tingly feeling throughout his limbs, but if asked he would never admit to it. He did have some semblance of a Big Bad reputation to protect after all. “It’s just been awhile, is all.” He shrugged with a smirk and passed by her.

“What?”

Buffy’s head was in a very bad place. Been awhile since what? What exactly did he expect? Did he mean? It HAD been awhile, she guessed. Besides Harmony, she couldn’t think of anyone in the last bunch of months that he’d been seen with and that was before she’d gotten back. Buffy he didn’t think…he wouldn’t actually think that’s what she’d meant. Right? God, she hoped not because she was so not ready to go there, and by not ready she meant ever. Evvvvvver. It was Spike after all. The Spike who was looking at her right now with the clearest cerulean eyes she’d ever seen, looking as if he could see into her soul and know every little detail of her innermost thoughts.

“If you wanted a taste, pet, all you had to do was ask.” The gaze she’d found enticing just moments ago was currently traveling down her body in an appreciative way.

“Wh-what are u talking about, Spike?” Arms folded over one another she stood facing him.

“Don’t play dumb with me, Slayer. Get your mind out of the bloody gutter. I meant it had been awhile since I’d had a real shower. I’d wager yours is a little more advanced than the tapped pipe in my crypt.”

“Oh…What? I wasn’t…I mean…I would never-“ A deep blush was steadily creeping up Buffy’s chest and cheeks. Spike found the whole situation absolutely delicious.

“I can smell you, pet.” He chuckled a bit as he spoke. She was just too cute.

Buffy’s eyes grew wide. Spike could SMELL her…her… Oh, god, this was just too embarrassing for words. Her slightly blushing cheeks were now deeply inflamed.

“Shower’s this way…” Her voice trailed off in a high-pitched squeak as she walked to and pointed at a doorway. Spike being able to smell her…well her down there…was just something she didn’t have the strength the process at the moment, not with him about to be naked and soapy a few doors down from her bedroom, so she chose to ignore it.

He let loose an obviously amused sigh and flung his duster, he’d been carrying, over his shoulder. “Right.” Spike turned to face her but was only met with a closed door.

“Towels are underneath the sink. Everything else should be in the shower caddy.” She backed up a few steps feeling a little better with a door now separating them. “Oh, and don’t mess with any of my stuff.”

“Yeah, like I’d touch any of your girly smelling soaps, Slayer. Big Bad ‘ere, love. I don’t want to be smelling like some daisy or what all,” he Spike called from the other side of the door.

“Ha…yeah, Spike, you’re so bad, trying to fix the pipes in my basement and then falling on your ass,” Buffy finished with a little laugh about to walk towards her room.

“Appreciate the gratitude, pet.” His retort was accompanied with the wet slap of his clothing against the tile floor. Buffy froze mid-step. So Spike was now, currently, shirtless, or pantsless. Both were equally bad from Buffy’s point of view.

Another slap.

Now Spike was officially naked. There was a nude Spike a few feet and an open door away from her. Her breathing became slightly labored at the image of his taught form pulling back the curtain and enveloping himself in the heated spray of the shower.

It would be so easy just to throw the door open and join him. Buffy knew he wouldn’t protest. ‘Hell, he’d probably welcome me with open arms, not to mention other more manly appendages,’ Buffy mused with a small snort.

It was a fantasy, of the never gonna’ happen variety, so she quickly pushed it to the back of her mind, to be pulled out and used later if and when the situation called for it.

With a smirk and a sigh, Buffy made her way into her bedroom effectively ignoring the showering vampire. Today had been difficult to say the least, and up until a few seconds ago Buffy had forgotten that. Spike had a way of clouding her head causing her to take her stress and disregard it without a second thought. He was comforting that way. It was nice to know there was always at least one person she could be herself around, someone whom she didn’t have to pretend with. The fact that it happened to be Spike, her currently naked and sometimes morally ambiguous ex-enemy, was curse and a blessing in and of itself.

That first night, the night she reluctantly scratched her way back to living color, he’d awoken something within her, a fact she scarcely admitted to, but it was the truth all the same. When he looked her and saw—God, she had no idea what he saw, but it seemed beautiful and wonderful and full of elation that she could never begin to describe yet alone try to feel. It terrified her. It amazed her, and as suddenly as she had realized it, she’d packed it away into the deepest recesses of her mind never to be dwelled on again. The truth was startling, and she had too much on her plate to deal with it. Spike was such a paradox to her, so full of complications, that she had no idea where to begin to try and understand him.

She wasn’t saying she loved him. Buffy was sure it wasn’t love, but it wasn’t nothing either, a reality he’d be delighted to hear if only she had the courage. She’d hidden herself behind comfortable banter and been happy with their light-hearted friendship as of late. It was easy and with all the baggage she’d been lugging around since age 15 it was safer.

Click. Snap. Fizzle. Ding.

The shower turned off, and the sounds of someone rustling around in the bathroom next door could now be heard. Buffy had been promptly seated in the middle of her bed when there was a light knock on the door. Having been deep in thought only seconds ago, her head whipped around only to be greeted by a very shirtless Spike with barely a towel to cover his bottom half.

With an audible gulp, Buffy’s eyes widened, taking in his relaxed form.

“‘Lo there, love. Got any extra clothes left behind I can snag? Mine are a little worse for wear at the moment.”


Chapter End Notes:
Comments?