Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! I'm going to try posting on Mondays, Wednesday and hopefully fridays, but we'll see how that goes. No promises. Reviews definitely motivate postings though! :) I hope you enjoy!
The Queen was furious. Not only had the exasperating pixies come to taunt her earlier that day, but they told her what William had done. Her William! How could he betray her, again? This Buffy was not good enough for her son, the so-called Prince of the Forest. Her skin glowed red with rage.

Drusilla had thought binding him to the confines of his kingdom was guaranteed to keep him with her. And yet, the world came to snatch him instead. Someone needed to pay.

“’ello Queenie,” the pixie sing-songed as she sat on Drusilla’s shoulder. The creature was the size of a rose stem, and twice as beautiful. Her lustrous brown hair was streaked with gold and caught the sunlight, even though little was to be found so far below the treetops. A few thorns littered her head as a spiky crown, most likely attempting to rebel against her family in some way. Her engorged smile made the Queen furious.

“What now?”

“Well, tha’s not a greetin I enjoy getting,” she pouted, playing dumb. “Fine, if ya want to kill Miss Buffy on your own, be ma guest. But if ya want their opinion, the one’s of the above, ya better listen.”

The Queen hated the games the pixies lived to play. However, if she wanted the information, she had to play nice. It did not mean she had to enjoy their meetings… or keep them alive after her pans were complete.

“Go on…”

“There’s a man comin to this here forest, an evil one who killed his family and everything. He will come and he can take care o’ your problem for you. But I ain’t so dumb to let you know ‘bout it now. Not after the welcome I get…” The pixie performed a cartwheel on her arm, spreading ill-smelling, sparkling dust all over her. The Queen wanted to smack the dust off her pretty face, but if she wanted to take care of her “problem” she needed the man’s help.

After all, she couldn’t kill Buffy herself.

. . . . . . . .

William’s discontent grew as he ran farther away. He did not want to leave Buffy’s side, but if they wanted any future together he would have to speak with his mother. Finding her would be a challenge if she chose to hide herself away. Nevertheless, he hoped she remained in the very heart of the forest, where he could do the least harm and still get out together.

He hated that he had to lie to his mother, but her overprotective nature went too far. If she really loved him, then she would have let him leave to find Buffy the first time. But no: instead, her aggravation grew to heights he did not know were possible. She threatened to confine him even closer.

. . . . . . . .

“What must I do to find him, little precious?” the Queen begged, angry that she lowered herself to pleading a pixie.

“Miss Edith to ya,” the trollop exclaimed defiantly.

“Why you-“ she stopped herself from strangling her. “Miss Edith, please tell me. After all, why would the above tell you such information if it didn’t want me to know?”

“Well, maybe we make the decisions ‘round here, ya ever think of tha?”

“I sincerely doubt it. Listen to me,” she was losing the last of her patience, “I can do this with or without you. I will find a way whether you help or not. If the above wants me to know, then that means you must tell me. You don’t have a choice in the matter! So why do you insist on prolonging these meetings! TELL ME WHERE HE IS!” her voice was so thunderous that the birds squawked and flew out of the trees.

“Ok! Ok, jus havin a li’l fun. They call him the rake… the rake Angelus.”

. . . . . . . .

William knew that she saved him and raised him, but he couldn’t go on like this. Stopping to catch his breath, he looked up and saw the moon in the daylight. He could not help but wish to share the day with his Buffy as well as the night. Suddenly, he realized the Queen was nearby; he made his thoughts simpler to lure her into a false consciousness of wellbeing.

. . . . . . . .
The pixie told Drusilla where to find the heartless man who would do her bidding, then left in a huff threatening to tell the other pixies of her outrageous behavior. The Queen could not afford to lose the support of the above, but she was sure the Powers would understand.

She sensed William’s presence nearby. A malicious smile made it’s way across her crackling face. Out of necessity, Drusilla had developed a talent for reading his thoughts when during the day when he was close to her. He knew it, but his mind faltered under such physical strains and he constantly forgot to hide his thoughts:

I hope she stays, I hope stays. What if she leaves? She can’t leave! Only can be with me. Must ask mother, must ask mother. Be together for a night. With Buffy, Buffy, Buffy…

His thoughts became quite muddled in his animalistic state, but she knew what he was going to say. And she would play along… but as the cogs of her mind twisted in intoxicating wrath, she realized that in the end she would win. She finished formulating her plan just as he ran around the bend.

“Mother,” he communicated to her, “we need to speak immediately.”

“Why yes my darling. We do,” she replied with an edge.

“Ok… I want to be with Buffy... for the night. But I cannot do that as long as your spell keeps me in this forest.”

“That spell is here for your protection my darling,” she said.

“I know mother, but just listen. Please?” William took the Queen’s silence as an indication to continue. “I know you know about Buffy. I cannot be with her if I am in this forest. Yet, I also know that you will not let me be with her outside of the forest.”

“My William, you-“

“I’m here to offer a deal,” the Queen looked intrigued. “One night. One night to do anything I please; in, out or around the forest, I will be allowed to do anything I want; I will be free. That’s all I ask.”

“How dare you! I saved you from the hands of the river! I rescued you from the terrors of the world, and this is how you repay my generosity?”

“Please, mother!”

“Give me one reason. One good reason why I should allow this uniting.”

“Because I love her!” he barked out. His eyes grew wide in terror, immediately regretting mentioning the extent of his feelings.

“You love that harpy?! That waif? This is who you choose over your own?”

“Don’t speak about her like that! Don’t you dare!”

“William!” she shrieked, once again causing the birds to squawk and fly.

“Mother… I love her,” he explained, almost defeated. “The wanting… oh, the wanting comes in waves! If you give me this one night, I-I’ll stay here for the rest of my life. I swear! Just give me this night!” The Queen seemed deep in thought for a few moments before responding.

. . . . . . . .

Buffy sat against a tree and watched for any kind of movement. It was getting dark and he still had not come back. She knew it was irrational, but she feared something might happen. He was just a little fawn! What if he became wounded, or worse? Refusing to panic, Buffy closed her eyes and listened her breathing.

Never the type to sit around and wait for someone else to do the work for her, Buffy felt extremely out of her element. She was never the weak one. And yet there she was, waiting for William to return before they ran away together. What they were running away from exactly, she was not sure.

And what about the baby? How would he react to that news? What if he did not want it? What if it turned into an animal like him? She had to top questioning it; if he loved her, he would be pleased. Que sera sera: whatever will be, will be.

She sighed as she gazed at the patch of stars above. It was such a lovely night. The fireflies flew quietly above her head, slightly lighting up the place where they had made love only hours prior. She wished William could be there with her to enjoy it. She sighed again for she knew that everything would be all right eventually.

. . . . . . . .

“Ok. For one night, you may do as you like. However,” she continued forcefully, “if you do not come back to me the following morning, the underworld itself will cringe for your demise. Do you understand?” For the first time, the Queen’s glare terrified him. No longer was she the strict but understanding mother he once knew. Driven by spite or insanity he wasn’t sure, but he knew that it was time to leave.

It was time to run.

The Queen had other plans.


Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned and please review.
Oh, and I apologize from the many page breaks... I got a bit carried away.