Author's Chapter Notes:
I had meant to get this posted earlier today but I got hooked on reading The Hunger Games and my afternoon disappeared in the blink of an eye. Thank you to those who read and reviewed the last chapter - hearing what you think really does make my day. Thanks again to the wonderful Sotia for all her help with this fic.
Chapter Nine

William managed to slip back into the hospital without anyone noticing. Elizabeth had given him back his coat and scarf despite his protests, saying that it would look odd for her to turn up in the nurses’ quarters wearing them.

Reluctantly agreeing, he went back into his room and hoped that his absence hadn’t been noticed. No such luck; Daniel looked at him reproachfully when he returned, and William flushed, wondering if the other man somehow knew where he’d been.

Neither said anything, though, and William went over to his desk to get his papers in order. There wasn’t much he could do in the way of getting his clothes packed; he’d have to take what he could and buy more when they stopped somewhere suitable. Worthless though he thought they were, his poems were the most important thing he had with him on the island and he wouldn’t be leaving them behind.

When Elizabeth brought dinner at seven, he couldn’t help the bright grin that lit his face and she returned it with one of her own. They smiled stupidly at each other for several long moments before realising they weren’t alone—Alasdair and Daniel were looking on curiously.

“Uhm thank you, Nurse Summers,” William said. “This looks lovely.”

“You’re welcome.” She went to the door but, before she left, she caught William’s eye and winked.

He blushed and busied himself in eating his dinner, glad that she was all right after earlier, and that their plan was seemingly on track. He barely tasted his chicken. He wanted to be away already, away from the hospital and heading towards the mainland.

Glancing at the clock, he sighed. Still a while until Alasdair and Daniel retired; after dinner they often played a game of chess. The next hour was going to be endless, he knew.

The minutes ticked by so slowly he began to wonder if the clock was broken. Mentally, he made a list of where all his belongings were, so that he’d be able to find them quickly when the lamps were extinguished. That didn’t take long; he had very little with him. He was glad that he’d chosen to keep some money with his things, rather than give it all to Matron for safekeeping.

Sister Maclay came at half past eight to check on them and to dim the lamps. She bid a quiet goodnight to the three men, and William wanted to say something—a proper goodbye. She had been kind to him. Perhaps one day, when the dust had settled, he and Elizabeth would return to the island and he’d see Sister Maclay again.

His roommates began to settle just before nine, and William made the mimicry of getting ready for bed himself, hoping that neither man noticed that he had worn his nightclothes over the top of his shirt and trousers.

William waited until he was sure they were asleep. Alasdair’s heavy breathing and Daniel’s loud snores indicated that they were, and he hopped off his bed and went towards the wardrobe. He’d left the door open earlier, knowing that the hinge squeaked, and it only took him a few moments to pile the clothes he was taking with him into the bag. He double checked that his money was still in the inside pocket—yes, it was there. Good.

Padding to the desk, he slipped his journals and writing tools into the bag. Finally, he went to the coat stand and pulled off his pyjamas, putting his coat and scarf on instead. His shoes he held in one hand, knowing that he would have a better chance of getting away unnoticed without them.

Heart pounding, he grasped the doorknob and turned. He was hit with a sudden urge to laugh—what would his peers back in London have to say if they could see him now? Stealing away in the dark of the night to run away with a woman betrothed to another man. It sounded absurd even to himself. His rational side knew that he could walk away from the hospital in the morning without question and meet Elizabeth on the mainland, but he didn’t want to be without her for any longer than necessary.

He stifled the urge, however, and, breath held, slowly pushed the door open, hoping that it had been recently oiled. The door swung open easily, and he could breathe again.

A sudden rustling of bed clothes from behind him made him pause. He peered backwards over his shoulder, and his eyes widened when he saw Daniel sitting straight up in his bed, staring at him.

“What are you doing?” Daniel’s words were a harsh whisper in the quiet of the room.

William stood frozen, unable to say anything. He had half a mind to simply flee, but who knew what kind of ruckus Daniel might cause if he did that without at least trying to explain. “I’m leaving,” he said, eventually.

“With Nurse Summers. Am I right?” Daniel’s tone was not accusing, but William couldn’t help but feel he was facing his judge, jury and executioner. “Alasdair may be blind as a bat, but I saw the way you were looking at each other earlier. You’re taking a mighty big risk.”

“I know.” William sighed and set his bag down on the floor, meeting the other man’s eyes in the light from the corridor. “She’s being forced into a marriage she doesn’t want. And I love her, Daniel. Yes, we’re leaving together. I won’t be ashamed of that.”

Daniel stared at him, before lowering his head. “Go,” he said. “I saw nothing and heard nothing.”

“Thank you.” William bent and picked up his bag before turning on his heel and leaving the room.

Finding the service door Elizabeth had mentioned, in the dim lighting, proved more difficult than he’d thought; he took several wrong turns before finally locating it. Once there, he slipped his shoes on, worried that she hadn’t appeared yet.

He didn’t begin to truly panic until he heard the hospital clock strike the half hour. Where was she? Had another of the nurses prevented her from leaving?

William felt sick with anxiety and had just decided to try and find Elizabeth when he saw her coming towards him. He stepped out of the shadows of the doorway, arms raised and ready to embrace her, when he realised with horror that she wasn’t alone.

Sister Maclay hovered behind Elizabeth, and William gaped at them both. Was this it? Were they caught before they’d even left?

To his surprise, Elizabeth giggled. “Don’t look so horrified, William,” she whispered. “Aunt Tara’s helping us. She knows someone in Steephill who can get us a carriage, and he won’t ask any questions.”

William closed his mouth but could do nothing more than stare at the older woman. “Why?” he asked eventually.

“When I was Elizabeth’s age, I was forced to marry a man I detested,” Tara said, her voice flat. “The years I spent with him were the worst of my life. I won’t let my niece suffer the same fate. She’s said she loves you, and I know you’re a good man. You’ll look after her.”

“I will,” William said. He reached out and took Tara’s hand in his own, squeezing it lightly. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now come, let’s go before anyone comes along. It mustn’t get out that I helped you leave.”

“Of course.” William grasped Elizabeth’s hand and picked up their bags.

They left the hospital silently, Tara leading the way.

Rounding the corner of the road outside, William felt almost sad to see that chapter of his life come to an end but when he looked to Elizabeth at his side he knew that a far better one was just beginning.

***

Elizabeth’s head rested gently against his shoulder, the rocking movement of the carriage lulling her to sleep.

It had all happened so fast. The journey to Cowes would take a while and would allow William some time to think. He couldn’t quite believe that they had managed to get away from the hospital with such ease.

Glancing at the girl beside him, he felt his heart swell with love for her. Even in sleep, she was beautiful. Dark lashes fanned on soft skin, and her cheeks were lightly flushed from the brisk air. Her blond hair was coming loose from the severe bun she’d worn it in, and its golden tendrils tickled his cheek and neck every time she moved.

How had he been so lucky to find her? To fall in love with a woman was one thing—he dimly recalled having feelings for Cecily Underwood, though they paled in comparison to how he felt about Elizabeth—but to have her return his feelings was another thing completely.

She shifted in her sleep, leaning against him more heavily, and her mouth falling open a little. William grinned to himself, thinking that this was the sight he would be waking up to for the rest of his life. The thought thrilled him.

A jolt in the road rocked the carriage, and Elizabeth sat up, startled. “What—? William, are we there?”

“No,” he said and leaned over to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. Her cheek was red from where she’d been leaning on his shoulder, and he laid his palm against it. “I haven’t a clue where we are. I hope the driver knows better than I do!”

Elizabeth went to the window and peered out, but it was too dark to see anything. “It’s a wonder he can find his way,” she said, nodding towards the front of the carriage. “My father used to have a trap, and I tried to drive it, once. It’s more difficult than it looks.” Her face fell slightly. “I wonder what they’ll say when I don’t go home on Friday. My parents, I mean.”

“You’re not regretting this?” William asked. “I—there’s still time to turn back.”

“No! Of course not. I think that I’d have run away anyway, if you hadn’t suggested it, though I probably wouldn’t have got very far. And I’d rather be with you than alone.” She bit her lip. “No, I’m just worried about my mother… and what she’ll say when she realises I’ve gone. She’ll be so disappointed.”

William slid his arm around her shoulders and hugged her to him. “It will all work out,” he said. “Once we’re married and settled, we can make plans to return to visit your family.”

He felt her nod against his arm. “They’ll like you, I think.” She sighed. “I wish we could have met under better circumstances.”

They fell silent, each lost in their own thoughts until they both fell prey to slumber.

***

It was still dark when the carriage came to a complete stop. William jolted awake first, rubbing his bleary eyes and blinking sleepily. Pulling his watch from his pocket, he saw that it was close to five in the morning.

He could hear the driver moving around outside, settling the horses. Soon enough, the door opened and the old man’s grizzled face appeared, along with a blast of cold air.

“Here we are then, Sir.”

“Thank you.” William paid, then helped a sleepy Elizabeth down from the carriage, before turning to take their bags from the driver. With a nod and a tip of his hat, the man hopped back up to the front of the carriage and hurried off into the night.

William turned a tremulous smile to Elizabeth and gripped her hand within his own.

“This is it,” she whispered, casting a glance towards the ferry port.

William followed her gaze; it wasn’t open yet but there was a bench outside the ticketing office. “Come on,” he said. “It shouldn’t be long before they open up. First sailing is at six.”

***


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Please leave a review to let me know what you thought. :)