Author's Chapter Notes:
So, I abandoned this story for a while. I was off having a baby and then finishing off my big, angsty crossover story – which is why I'm so happy to get back to this one, it's a lot lighter. I rewrote the first few chapters, but haven't changed much so don't worry if you don't want to go back and re-read it, you won't be missing anything.

By the way, according to Wikipedia, 'Orgasm' is a type of cocktail. You'll see why I mentioned that in a moment.
Buffy pulled herself up and out of the pool at the local gym. She wrung out her hair and stretched her arms – ouch. It had been way too long since she's had a good swim, and even longer since she'd worked out. Now she had the aching muscles to prove it.

Wrapping her towel around herself, she moved into the changing room and grabbed her bag from a locker. Just as her cellphone began to vibrate.

“Hello?”

“Buffy? Ohmygawd, Buffy! Is it really you? I totally can't believe it, I haven't see you in like, ever! What was it? Like, nine months ago? In Holland, right? I miss Holland. Holland was awesome.”

Buffy blinked. “Harmony?”

The other girl squealed excitedly. “You're like, super psychic or something! You knew it was me and I didn't even have to tell you! How'd you know?”

“Just a...really good guess.”

Harmony was a fellow traveller, like Buffy. Only she was funded by her rich father. She was generous, though, and had let Buffy and Willow crash with her in her fancy hotel room for the three weeks they'd been in Holland.

“That's so totally wicked. So, what have you been doing? I just spoke to Willow and she told me you had to go home for some major crisis. Not that hunky brother of yours, I hope. Not that I've ever seen him, but whatever. Aw, I miss you and Willow – you guys were son much fun!”

“I...missed you too, Harm.” And what were the other twenty four questions she asked?

“Aw, honey! You're such a sweety pie! So, anyway. There was a reason I called...I'm getting married...woo!” She squealed again, and Buffy had to stick her finger in her ear to make sure it wasn't damaged.

“You're what now? To who? When? Where? This is so huge!”

“I know, right? Can you believe it, it's so exciting! His name is Blayne and he's a total dreamboat! His dad is like, president of some really boring company but totally rich, so he and Daddy are so happy.”

“Wow. I'm so happy for you! Where'd you meet him?”

“In Marbella last month. Our eyes met over an Orgasm and and boom! Love at first sight for me and my Blayney bear. And after that we just couldn't wait. So we're getting married. And you totally have to come, by the way.”

“Oh, well sure. When is it?”

“Tomorrow,” Harmony answered, as if it was obvious.

“Say what?”

“I said it's tomorrow, dopey head! I know it's soon and all, but we really wanted the wedding at the Hyperion Hotel in LA and that place is always booked up for like, three whole years. Crazy! But Daddy pulled some strings and you know he's so important so they shuffled some other people around. So yay! You'll come, right?”

“Uh...yeah, I guess. What time?”

“Ten.”

“If I travel right through the night I should be able to make it on time.”

“So you'll come?”

“Of course! I wouldn't miss it!”

“Oh, Buffy! That's so great! I'm just so happy I could burst! All my favourite people will be there. Daddy told me that even Robert Downey Junior promised to come! Okay, I have to go now. Lots of things to do, you know? Oh, and make sure you bring a guest. A guy guest. Coolio. Ciao!”

And then she was gone.

Buffy stared at her cellphone for a long moment, wondering whether that conversation had actually just happened. She wanted to marvel at the craziness of Harmony, but it was just so her that the whole situation really couldn't come as that much of a surprise.

And a date...well, she'd need to find someone to drive her there anyway. Luke would be up for it.


+++


Buffy pushed her way into Shay's bar and looked frantically around for Luke. She knew he often frequented the place on his days off. She cursed his stupid 'I don't believe in cellphone' crap and decided that when she found him she was going to finally kick his butt into this century.

After a couple of moments, she conceded that Luke and his gigantic body must be elsewhere, and she folded her arms over her chest grumpily.

But then she caught a glimpse of an even better prospect, and a smirk spread slowly across her face.


+++


“...and then her freakin' mom walked in on us. I think getting a view of my big bare ass almost gave the old gal a heart attack.”

Will burst into laughter as Fritz finished off the story of the girl he'd taken out that weekend. Seemed the poor guy was caught with his pants around his ankles all too often. “That's what you get for dating a nineteen year old, you twat.”

“Don't be jealous, Will, you-” Fritz stopped mid sentence and looked over Will's shoulder. “Hey man, don't look now but the hottie by the door is totally checking you out.” He leaned back in his chair and let out a low, appreciative whistle. “Not seen her around these parts before, and I've lived here over a year now. Wait, she's coming over...”

Will glanced over his shoulder and pursed his lips. He should have known. Buffy was heading right towards him with a fiercely determined look on her little face. He turned back and slumped down a little. Why did he have to be with Fritz of all people? The guy was an arse. And he didn't much care for Fritz's amused snort, either.

Yeah, this wasn't going to end well.

“Hey,” she called brightly, sitting down at the table without waiting for an invitation.

“Hi,” Will replied.

“Who's your friend?” she asked.

Realization dawned and Fritz grinned. “Oh, you two know each other?”

Will sighed. “Fritz, this is Buffy, a friend of Dru's. Buffy, this is Fritz. We work together at the station.”

Fritz reached over the table for Buffy's hand and placed a kiss on her knuckles. “A pleasure.”

“Yeah, you too.” Or not. She turned back to Will. “Are you free right now?”

He shot her a puzzled frown. “Yeah, I guess. Why?”

“You need to come with me.”

“Come where?”

“I'll tell you in the car. You're driving.”

He scoffed. “You're off your bird if you think I'm going anywhere-”

She stood up and tugged on his hand. “Come on.”

“Okay.” Damn.

As he stood up to follow her, he heard Fritz guffaw, and knew that it was at him and the way he had been so quick to comply – very uncharacteristic of him. He scowled when he realized that by this time tomorrow, everyone at the station would be laughing at how he was Buffy's bitch.

But it didn't stop him from waving goodbye to Fritz and allowing Buffy to drag him from the bar. There was just something about her that made him want to act...impulsive.


+++


It wasn't until Will was seated and belted in his car that he even tried to ask again where they were going.

“LA,” she replied distractedly, as she fished her cellphone out of her bag. “I just need to call Xan and get him to watch over the shop tomorrow.”

Will stared at her, dumbfounded. “LA? That'll take us all bloody night! What the hell is so important in LA?”

“My friend, Harmony, is getting married there in the morning. You're my date.”

He made a choking sound. “I'm your what now?”

She rolled her eyes. “Jeez, don't have a heart attack. Don't worry, I didn't mean a date date. I just needed to bring someone along and I couldn't find Luke.”

“Gee, thanks. Now I feel precious.”

“Oh, don't pretend to be all offended. Like you'd ever want to date someone like me, anyway. I'm not all stiff upper lippy and...and snooty.”

“You think I'm stiff upper lippy and snooty?”

Buffy shrugged. “Not all the time.”

Will shrugged and started up the car and began to drive. After a minute, he glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. “You're lucky I have the next few days off work, you know.”

“Yeah,” she said with a snort. “Like you wouldn't have come anyway. You're just dying for an adventure.” She smiled over at him, so bright and naughty that he couldn't get mad at her teasing.

Besides, it was kind of true.


+++


Over the next few hours, Buffy and Will discovered that it was surprisingly easy to talk to one another. Big things and little things, and silly random things that popped into their heads.

Weirdly easy, in fact.

“Best pick up line?” Buffy asked, after she'd answered one of his questions.

“Oh, uhm...okay...What's your favourite fruit?”

She looked bemused. “Seriously? That's a pick up line?”

He sighed. “Just work with me here, yeah? What's your favourite fruit?”

“Fine. Okay...an orange?”

“Nice. Mine's raisins.”

“Spiffy.”

“Do you want one?”

“A raison?” Okay, he was weirder than she'd originally thought.

“Yeah.”

“Um...no thanks.”

“How about a date?”

She stared at him for a long moment. “I don't get it.”

“Because a date is a fruit...you know?” He coughed awkwardly.

Buffy started giggling, and then she found she couldn't stop. “That...is so...dumb!” she managed to wheeze out.

Will huffed, but he couldn't help the little smile that creeped onto his face. He'd made her laugh.


+++


They drove through the night and arrived in LA with an hour to spare. A sincerely frazzled Will suggested that they used the time to nap, but Buffy reminded him that they needed something to wear other than the ruffled jeans they were sporting.

Sure, he hadn't minded watching her try on different outfits at first, but after the fifth shop he started to get grumpy. He was glad when she eventually settled on some sexy dark red number. And not that he'd admit it, but he even liked the matching shirt she made him buy. All doled up, he an Buffy looked pretty darned good together.

And then they were rushing towards the Hyperion Hotel, some jumped up monster of a place Cordelia had always insisted they stay in whenever they'd happened to be in LA.

He and Buffy had walked through the doors and his companion had instantly been ambushed by a fireball off a woman who Buffy had eventually had the grace to introduce him to as Willow.

And then they were seated and watching the bride – decked out in a sparkly pink ball of fluff – walk down the aisle to a hip hop version of 'Here Comes the Bride'. Will was relieved to see that even Buffy had to cover up an amused snort at that.

The whole thing was a nightmare. A bloody, stinking nightmare.

And then it was over and there was food. And alcohol. Sweet, merciful alcohol.


+++


Will watched Buffy over the top of his beer. She was spinning on the dance floor, waving a large flower in circles in the air. She looked so happy. The cheerful smile that she always seemed to wear was, of course, present.

He hard a sucking noise, and turned just in time to see Willow rip her lips away from the bloke – Marc, he thought his name might be – she'd been trying to inhale. Or kiss. “If you stare at her any harder, she's going to burst into flames,” she informed him helpfully.

Will blushed. “I'm not staring at her.”

“Sure. Just go and kiss her already.”

“Don't be daft.”

“Kiss her now. She's coming over.”

“What-”

“Dance with me.” This demand was from Buffy. Of course it was from Buffy.

Ignoring the googly eyes Willow was making at him, he turned and smirked up at Buffy. “You gonna make me?”

“Will! Come on!”

It was the bloody pout that did it. He sighed and followed her onto the dance floor. “I'm not very good at dancing, Buffy.”

“Who says?”

“Cordy used to tell me all the time.”

“Yeah, well, from what I remember from high school, Cordelia Chase was an idiot. And you haven't danced all night.”

She turned to him and took one of his hands. He put the other on her waist. “I haven't danced all night because I don't want to look stupid.”

“But looking stupid is so much fun!”


+++


Much later that night, when Will was back at the table where he belonged, Buffy once again approached. She flopped down onto his knee and draped her arms around his neck. Will pointedly ignored the smug grin Willow shot him.

“Come back and dance with me,” Buffy pleaded. “I'm lonely out there. The only guy that's single and will dance with me keeps trying to stick his hand up my skirt.”

Will glared at Mr Handsy over Buffy's shoulder, and then he looked down at her. She was somehow still managing to sway even though she was sat on top of him. “You're drunk.”

She fluttered her eyelashes up at him. “But a charming drunk, right?”

He snorted. “Sure.”

Humming happily, she cupped his cheek and lay her head on his shoulder. “You have a pretty face.”

She was stroking his chin now. It was distracting. “I think it's time to get you into bed.”

“Only if you come with me,” she answered mischievously.

“She's a very happy drunk,” Willow informed him helpfully from the other side of the table. “And a total lightweight. I booked a room here – why don't you take Buffy upstairs and let her sleep it off.” She sent Marc a saucy wink. “I'll be in Marc's room in you need me.”


+++


It took Will almost an hour to finally manage to persuade Buffy to call it quits, and by that time, she'd managed to consume another three drinks. He practically had to carry her up to Willow's room.

“Get some sleep,” he ordered, as he sat her down on the bed. “I'm going to go and see if they have another room available, so I'll see you in the morning at break-”

“No!” she protested, grabbing his hand and yanking him back. “Stay with me a while. You know you want to.”

“Not sure that's much of a good idea.” But he sat down next to her anyway. Of course he did.

Smiling triumphantly, she kicked off her shoes, folded her legs underneath her, and rested her head back on his shoulder. “Do you know what it is I like about you, Will?”

“My dashing good looks and charming personality?”

“Duh. Nope.”

“Oh. Then I'm stumped. And possibly insulted.”

“I like...that you pretend to be all stick up your assy and boring, but then when you think there's no one paying attention to you, you drop your guard and get...get silly. And fun. And you smile.”

He rolled his eyes and chuckled. “I think my acting silly has more to do with being around you than anything else.”

She knelt up, so that they were eye to eye. “You know what else I like about you?”

He swallowed. They were awfully close together. He could smell the beer she'd been drinking and the strawberries she'd been nibbling on. His heart began to patter and his mouth went dry, and when it occurred to him that it was Buffy making him feel this way, he almost went dizzy with confusion. “What's that?”

“I like how you pretend not to like me, when really I know that you do.”

They were drawing even closer, and Buffy's lips were parting, and Will's hand was sliding up her thigh, and he was pretty sure that he was about to get a hell of a fan-fucking-tastic kiss.

And then Buffy was saying something. He hoped it was something sexy.

“I'm gonna barf.”

“What?”

She leaped off of the bed and dived for the bathroom.


+++


“There we go...that's it,” Will soothed, smoothing back the hair from Buffy's forehead as she emptied out the contents of her stomach into the toilet, “Get it all out, you'll feel better.”

She dry heaved a couple more times, before sitting back and wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. “I think that might be it. For now, anyway.”

“Probably be a bit more in the morning.”

“Yuck. I can't believe you just saw me puke. I must look so gross.”

Ratty hair...check. Smudged make-up...check. Adorable pout...check. “Nah. Just...really drunk.”

“You suck. Tell me I look pretty.”

“Sorry. You look pretty. Especially with that black stuff all under your eyes.”

“You double suck.”

He grinned and stood up, holding a hand out for her. “Think you can manage to get all the way into bed? Or do you fancy spending the night with your head stuck on the toilet seat?”

She scowled at him and took his hand. “You're the least sympathetic person I've ever met.”


+++


He set down a large glass of water on the bedside table, next to where she was curled up under the covers in the bed and groaning. “Try to drink as much of this as you can. It'll make you feel marginally less hungover in the morning.”

“You sound like you know what you're talking about.”

“Yeah, well. Had a couple of reasons to have a binge or two recently.”

“Will?”

“Yeah, sweets?”

“What if I puke in my sleep and I'm so drunk that I drown in my own vomit?”

“Unlikely.”

“But what if I do?” she whined.

He folded his arms across his chest and regarded her with one eyebrow raised. “You want me to stay here? On the pull out?”

She smiled sweetly in response. “Yes please.”

Yeah, like he hadn't been planning to do that anyway.


+++


Okay, so Buffy was officially dying of hungoveritus. It sucked. Big time.

She gingerly made her way down into the dining hall, wishing that she had a pair of sunglasses to hide her puffy eyes, and glanced at the buffet selection with a queasy groan. Collecting just a glass of orange juice, she sat down next to Will, who was happily tucking his way into a large full breakfast.

“Morning,” he greeted her cheerfully. “You were dead to the world when I tried to wake you earlier.”

She said words in reply, she was sure of it. Yet it came out sounding like 'Blerahoom'.

“Feeling better today?” he asked, with a much to gleeful smile.

“Just peachy.” Her tone was as dark as the glare she sent him. She watched him eat for a moment, before coughing awkwardly and reaching to fiddle with his napkin. “Um...so...I don't really remember much about last night.” Big, fat lie. “But I know my mouth tends to run away with me when I drink, so if I said anything stupid...it was the alcohol talking.” Even bigger, fatter lie. She'd meant every stupid word she'd said. She just hadn't meant to say them out loud.

“Understood.” He didn't even look up from his breakfast.

Willow joined them at the table with her own plate of food. “I couldn't help over hearing you-”

“Because you were eavesdropping,” Buffy interrupted.

“Well, yeah. But you know what they say, drunken words are often unspoken thoughts.”

Buffy scowled over at her. “Okay, shut up.” She turned back to Will, who was watching them both and looking very amused by the whole thing. “So...nothing happened that I should know about, right?” Apart from the almost kissing and the hands and the words and the almost kissing.

Will took his time chewing and swallowing his mouthful of bacon. She didn't remember their almost kiss? Well, this was embarrassing. Okay, option one – remind her about it and, have her accuse him of being a desperate creep. Option two – lie. Yeah, he liked option two. “No.”

Buffy sat back in her chair and frowned. Why was he lying? She cursed silently. He was obviously embarrassed for her – boy, she could just die of shame! Why did she have to turn into a stupid hussy every time a drop of alcohol passed her lips? And now he was being all noble and trying to spare her the disgrace.

No way could she spend the rest of the day trapped in a car alone with him.

She turned to Willow. “Hey, now that you're back in the country, why don't you come stay with me in Sunnydale for a while?”