Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi. Who is still on board for this one? Anyone?
Buffy opened the door and laughed. “You’re trying a new look today.” She shook her head at William’s spiked hair, black leather pants and shiny red shirt. He looked hot, but she'd found him nearly as irresistible in the khakis and button down he'd worn the day before when he'd shown up with a chess set and a bowl of popcorn.

“Willow said you might like to go downstairs, there’s music and...dancing.” He grimaced slightly. “Would you like that? To go with me?”

“Are you trying to ask me on a date, William?”

“Yes. We could go somewhere else if you prefer.”

“No. Dancing sounds fun. I’ll need to change.” She frowned as she turned to the chest of clothes.

“Oh. Yes. I almost forgot.” William picked up a box from the floor beside him and carried it to her bed. “I brought you something.”

Buffy watch him open the box with an arched eyebrow. “You brought something for me to wear. You’re broaching the creepy line again, mister. All I can say is that there better not be a toga that leaves one side all open in that box.”

William blushed. “No, I simply…Willow said that she didn’t think you’d wish to wear any the things you already had. I tried to find something more suitable.” He was careful not to mention that he’d selected the items she already had since she clearly did not appreciate the idea. “If you don’t like it, I wouldn’t wish for you to wear it.”

“Nice save. Let’s see what you brought.” Her eyes widened as he pulled out a short silver dress with a halter back and a low draped neckline. She sighed heavily and held out her hand. “Damn. I love it. Hand it over.” She took the dress and walked towards the bathroom. She stopped in the doorway and looked back at him over her shoulder. “I just want to make it clear that if I didn’t like the dress, I wouldn’t wear it.”

William nodded. “Noted.”

She walked into the bathroom started to remove her clothes and then froze. “William,” she called out tentatively.

“Yes, love.”

“Is the dress the test?”

He started laughing instantly. “No. It’s not a test, it’s just a dress.”

“Would you tell me if it was the test?”

“Probably not. I’m not allowed to tell you.”

Buffy sighed. She believed him. He’d laughed too easily to be lying. At least she thought so. She finished changing into the dress, brushed her hair and made use of a few of the tubes and bottles of high end cosmetics that filled a large basket near the mirror. She walked back out knowing that she looked good, but was still surprised by the awed expression on William’s face. Her stomach flipped, but she tried to play it casual. “So, do you like your selection?”

William clenched his jaw and swallowed hard. “I didn’t realize that it would leave so much of you…undressed.” His gaze slid down her body and settled on the tanned skin of her thighs.

She laughed. “I think I actually believe you.” She glanced down at the dress. “This would probably cause a bit of a fuss back home, but I have a feeling it’s considered tame around here.” She grinned. “Come on. Take me down there before I change my mind.”

She didn’t comment when he once again offered her his arm, she simply slid her hand into place and let him lead her down the hall and into an elevator he made appear out of nowhere. “Someone needs to teach me how to do that,” she muttered as the door reopened on the party.

“There’s no trick. I just know where they are.”

“Everyone just knows?”

“They know the ones that they use or the ones they are welcome to use. I couldn’t open a lift meant strictly for the use of The Queen. This particular space is more…egalitarian than many others.”

Buffy scanned the crowd. “So there’s what, like a mix of mortals and immortals here?”

“Yes and others: elves, nymphs—the occasional succubus.”

Her jaw dropped. “Seriously?”

He shrugged. “Is that a concern?”

“Nope. I’m just surprised. Didn’t realize those were all real things, you know?”

He laughed and leaned close. “I feel as though I should make an Alice in Wonderland reference.”

“Is it your favorite book?”

“No. I have far too many favorites to choose one. I do enjoy it though, I’d been here for quite awhile when it was first written, but it was still easy enough to understand what young Alice was experiencing.”

“Yeah. I’m there right now. Is the bartender an elf?”

William frowned. “I don’t believe so. He doesn’t talk about himself much but elves are typically taller.”

“So his ears…”

Grinning, William covered his own ears with his hands for a moment and then pulled them away to reveal distinctly pointed ears.

Buffy gasped and reached up to touch the tip of his ear. “What did you do? Are they usually like this?”

“It’s just a glamour. Most immortals have some talent for it. I can teach you, if you’d like. You can probably change small things— the color of your eyes, although that would be a shame.”

Buffy laughed. It was all too ridiculous not to. “Are you trying to say that I have pretty eyes?”

“Everything about you is pretty.”

She shook her head and sighed. “Thank you, William.” She reached up and touched his ear again. “This really is wild.”

“Do you prefer them? I can keep them like this if you do?”

She grinned. “It is kind of sexy, but I like your normal ears just—” She gasped. “Hold on. Are you making yourself look like this?” She was shocked, but it made sense; he was really far too attractive to be believed. “What do you really look like?”

William shook the glamour off his ears. “This is it, love. The real me or the real me wearing the somewhat ridiculous clothes that I thought you might like.”

She considered him skeptically. “Really?”

“Yes. This is me. Are you disappointed?” He worked hard to maintain a neutral expression.

“Are you fishing for compliments?”

“Not even a little bit.”

She exhaled quickly. “Fine. You’re gorgeous and I do like the clothes.” She shrugged. “Your normal clothes are also nice.”

A tall woman with waist length mahogany brown hair and slinky dress walked over to them and held out drinks. “Champagne—that’s what they celebrate with above ground these days, isn’t it?”

Buffy accepted the glass somewhat awkwardly. “It is. Thank you.”

“Thank you, Chlilatia.”

Chlitatia smiled and leaned closer to William. “Anything for you, Dollface.” She turned and walked away with an exaggerated sway.

William turned back to Buffy. “And that would be a succubus.”

“No way.” She glanced back at the woman in question. She was wrapping her arms around an extremely large man wearing a black suit and a cowboy hat. “Is the champagne safe?”

William laughed. “You’re rather paranoid about poison. Is that normal for you or a more recent tendency?”

She rolled her eyes. “So it’s safe to drink?”

“She feeds off sexual energy. It does her no good to harm us.”

“Cool.” She took a sip. “Yummy.” She drank the rest in a few large mouthfuls and placed the glass on a nearby table. “All right. Come dance with me, William.” She held out her hand.

“Oh.” He glanced at her hand and paled. “I’m not much of a dancer. I could just wait here.”

Buffy shook her head. “You can’t take a girl dancing and then refuse to dance.” She took his hand and tugged him towards the dance floor.

There was a series of shouts and a smattering of clapping when they got there.

“Whoa, Little Willy’s gonna show us his moves.”

“Oh yeah!”

William froze. “Please, pet. This is not going to—I don’t dance.”

Buffy leaned close and whispered, “Cool guys never do.” She winked. “It’ll be fine. You’ll sway and I’ll do all the work.” She hated bullies; she couldn’t let the crowd tease him. If necessary she’d deal with it high school style.

He gasped softly when she placed her hands on his stomach and slid them up to his neck.

“Trust me, relax and put your hands on my waist.”

He did as she said and circled her waist with his hands though he couldn’t quite stop them from shaking.

Buffy started moving slowly, seductively sliding her hips in time with the music. She spoke in a quiet whisper near his ear. “Pull me close and move with me.”

His fingers flexed and tightened on her hips before her tugged her closer so she was snug against him. “Oh, love this is…”

Buffy giggled softly. “I told you you’d like it.” She turned so that her back was against him and reached back to hold his hips. She tried to ignore the pressing evidence that showed just how much he liked it but she couldn’t really pretend being in his arms wasn’t warming her stomach and weakening her knees. Dancing like this was probably a mistake. She knew it. She knew that she should stay away from William altogether; they were both growing more attached to each other despite their impossible circumstances. Still, he pulled her in. Seeing him hurt was worse than being hurt herself. She truly couldn’t wrap her head around the idea that The Goddess of Love had specifically set them up, but she could acknowledge, if only to herself, that she’d done a good job. She could have fallen for him…if things had been different.

He flattened his palm on her stomach. “It’s a bloody revelation.”

Buffy turned around again just as the song changed to a faster, more traditional dance beat. She gave him a quick hug. “Come on. I think we’ve given them enough of a show. Let’s head out.”

William nodded and let her lead him back towards the elevator. He opened it and they stepped in together. He reached for her hand as they walked back out and she let him have it. They walked silently into her room and William shut the door behind her before speaking. “Thank you for that.” He ducked his head shyly.

She smiled and shook her head. “No. Thank you for taking me.” She rose up on her tippy toes and leaned close. “You really are very sweet.” She moved to kiss his lips in a gentle thank you, but he pulled away so quickly that his head bumped the wall behind them.

“No. That’s it—the test, love—you can’t…”

With a sharp gasp, she brought her hand up to cover her mouth.

“If you kiss me…”

Her mind reeled and her heart raced; she’d come so close. She’d have done it, no doubt. He’d stopped her. She looked at him in shock. He hadn’t let her fail the test. It was so much more than sweet. She didn’t know what she could ever say. If she’d ever doubted the sincerity of his feelings, she knew now that he loved her. He absolutely loved her. “William.”

He was looking away. “That’s…oh Goddess, I didn’t—” He vanished.

Buffy screamed. “William! Oh god—oh my god.” Terror made her blood feel like shards of ice in her veins. Where had he gone? He’d look scared. She was sure that, in the split second before he’d been torn from her sight, he’d looked scared.


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are awesome. ;)