Author's Chapter Notes:
*hugs* Thank you to everyone who has been leaving me lovely words. They mean a lot to me. I hope you enjoy today's posting.

elfin_miss made me some super cute story art. It's a tad too big to post here, so if you would like to see it, check here. http://pics.livejournal.com/elfin_miss/pic/000dd2q3
William knelt on the cold stone floor before the Goddess Aphrodite. He pressed his chin against his chest. “My Goddess.”

“Do you think so little of my gift, pretty William?”

“No, my Goddess, I—”

“Stand up!”

William wasn’t surprised to find that he was no longer wearing a shirt. Aphrodite tended to dress people as she would prefer to see them. He was somewhat surprised to still be wearing pants. He stood up, back straight, but carefully kept his gaze on the floor. “Yes, my Goddess.”

“I thought you were mine, boy. Mine ever so much more than the Dread Queen’s.”

William knew better than to answer. A small shiver of fear ran down his spine. This was not a promising line of questions.

“Did I not find your perfect match, the one soul amongst the many that could bring you pleasure eternal? Did I not grant you the highest of all honors?”

“You did, my Goddess. I am truly honored by your benevolence and your love.”

Aphrodite reached over and lifted his chin with a single deceptively delicate-looking finger. “Do you not think she is the most beautiful of all women?”

William swallowed hard. “You, my Goddess, are by far the most lovely.”

“So you don’t like her?”

William cautiously raised his eyes to her. “I adore her with all of my heart. I could never be worthy of such a gift but would happily spend eternity working to become so.”

She scoffed. “And yet you pushed her away, ignored my rules and belittled the greatest honor a man can be given.”

“She needs to choose me for herself. If I’d let her get trapped here, she’d hate me, my Goddess. I could never win her heart if—”

She slapped him across the cheek hard enough to knock him back to the floor. “Don’t you dare lecture me on love! Do you forget who I am, little boy?”

“No, my Goddess.” William shook his head as he quickly came back up on his knees. He didn’t raise his eyes. “You are the source and queen of all hearts and the noblest passions. You are the greatest of lovers and the most perfect ideal of beauty.”

Aphrodite sighed and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. “I will not alter the test, my William. You have made your task more difficult, but you must still complete it. I have given her to you. If you lose her I shall have to think you do not honor my gifts.”

“I will always honor your gifts, my Goddess.” He bent forward and pressed his lips to the floor beside her pretty bare feet.

“Don’t disappoint me, William. Be a testament to love’s strength and power.” She leaned down and kissed the top of his head. “Claim her heart.”



Not knowing where else to go, Buffy ran to the library. “Willow! Please, Willow, you need to help me find him!” Tears ran down her cheeks.

Tara and Willow both appeared from behind a large shelf. Willow hurried towards Buffy. “What’s wrong, Buffy? What happened?”

“I need you to help me find William. He disappeared.” She sniffled and choked back a sob.

“Oh, sweetie. I’m sure he’s around here somewhere. Did you try the—”

“No! You don’t understand. He told me about the test and then he really disappeared. Like we were talking and then he was gone, magic gone.”

Willow paled as she realized what had happened. She looked at Buffy angrily. “Why couldn’t you just love him?”

“I d—” I do. She’d almost said it. She knew suddenly that it was truth, that as impossible as it might seem, she had fallen head over heels in love in a matter of days. The hopelessness almost overwhelmed her. “Please, just tell me where he is.”

Willow softened slightly. “She took him.”

“Who? Who took him?”

“Aphrodite.”

“I don’t understand, Willow. Please.”

“This isn’t the realm of Christianity, Buffy. Chastity isn’t a virtue here, obedience and love are. And fear. The Gods bestow gifts and punishments at their will. William broke Her rules and he did it for you. At best She is simply angry.”

Buffy could barely whisper, “at worst?”

“Jealous. He cannot love you more than Her.”

Buffy nodded. “Can you help me find him?”

“No. I—”

“Willow!” A deep voice called out from across the room. “I need to find…Buffy.” William stopped a few feet away from them and looked at Buffy with soft eyes.

She ran to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. “I was so scared.” She hugged him tightly and then pulled back to look at his face. “I’ve never been so…” She lifted her hand to his cheek and brushed her thumb across the still forming bruise. “Oh, William. They hurt you.” Tears welled in her eyes.

“No, love.” He caught her hand and gave it a squeeze. “The Goddess of Love is a bit…I believe you’d call her a diva. She slapped me—very dramatic, that’s all.”

A tear slid down her cheek. “I’m so sorry, William. I never wanted to hurt you. Willow said they’d punish you. I…”

William turned his head to give Willow a stern glance. He spoke softly as he slid his arm under Buffy’s knees and scooped her into his arms. “Don’t worry about that. Let me get you back to your room. We can have a talk there if you like.”

Willow watched with a curious expression as Buffy buried her face against William’s shoulder and wrapped her arms around his neck. When he walked out the door, Willow turned back to look at Tara. “I’m scared for him. I think she could—”

Tara shook her head and placed her hand on Willow’s arm. “She loves him, Willow. Their auras have both changed so much. I’ve never seen anything like it. Try to be patient with her.”

“But if she leaves…”

“She’ll be just as destroyed as he will be.” She leaned close. “Trust love, Willow.” She kissed her softly. “It’s like a flower growing in the crack in a sidewalk. It finds a way.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts?