Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd like to thank Behind Blue Eyes and Minx DeLovely for their nice reviews ^^

The story begins now. It might be a little confusing in the beginning, but I'm trying to let it make sense over time.

The quote for this chapter are the last words of Henry Beecher.
NEW YORK CITY, 3RD OF MAY, 2011
5:15 PM


Willow looked at her watch. Shit, she thought to herself. She was already late and nowhere near her apartment.
She had been excited when Spike had told her he was coming to live in New York. He had been by far her favorite cousin and she had barely seen him since he moved to Cambridge. Not that she saw him on a regular basis before that (only on holidays really), but then she'd seen him at least twice a year.

And now she felt really bad that she was running late. She couldn't have helped it. Today was her last day before her two week holiday and of course that was the time to dump really important cases on her desk.
But that was all behind her for the moment. She was going to spend 2 weeks with Spike, helping him get settled and showing him the city. She couldn't wait.

It was 5.45 PM when she finally reached the apartment. She figured that Spike and Buffy had made each other's acquaintance by now, so they could go straight to dinner and drinks.
______________


When she came in though, Buffy was reading a magazine in her favorite chair, but Spike was nowhere to be seen. And she had the feeling her roommate wasn't entirely comfortable.

Buffy looked up from her magazine. "Hey Will, how was your day?"
"Fine..." Willow said, "Where's Spike?"
The other girl waved her hand into the direction of the windows. "On the fire escape, I think. Smoking." Buffy made a face and again concentrated on her magazine.
The red head nodded, still getting a weird vibe. Then she went to the window and found Spike sitting right outside it.
"Spikey!" She grinned. He had looked annoyed, but when he saw her his face lit up.
"Red!" He got up and climbed through the window, after Willow moved aside. They hugged excitedly.

"It's been too long!" Willow muttered. He smiled, "I know. But that's about to change, pet."
"I know. It's great you're moving to the city!"
Behind her sounded something like a snort, but when the two looked at Buffy she was simply coughing.
"So what do you say to dinner?"
"Get into my belly?"
Willow laughed, "That's my boy. Let me change and we can all go."
Spike nodded and sat down on the couch. Buffy didn't look up from her magazine, but mumbled, 'fine, Will.'

Willow dissapeared into her bedroom, got out of her work clothes and decided on a lovely blue dress.
When she returned not 10 minutes later, she was bit astounded by the sight. Buffy was sitting straight up, her arms folded over her chest, staring at Spike.
He had made himself comfortable on the couch, right a cross from her, and he was staring back. They didn't seem to notice their friend standing on the threshold from her bedroom, looking wholly uncomfortable.

"Guys?" She finally offered. In unison they looked at her. "Dinner?"
Spike nodded and got up, but Buffy said, "I don't feel to good. I think I'll skip."
This got Willow's blood boiling a bit. "Spike, can you wait in the hall?"
He shrugged indifferently and left.

"Buffy! You promised!"
The brunette shrugged. "I just don't feel good."
"Buuuff." Willow drew out, "I can tell you don't like him. But you promised to at least be civil. And once you get past his whole bad-assery facade he is really a great guy!"
"Sure," Buffy said sarcastically.
"Dude."
Buffy sighed in defeat. "Fine."
Willow clapped her hands. "Yay!" she squealed, "It's gonne be great."
The brunette really doubted that.
______________

In their attempts to be civil, Buffy and Spike barely spoke two words to each other. They were all smiles and friendliness towards Willow, but to each other they were all secret scowls and underwater jabs.

Willow noticed it and it was frustrating the hell out of her. What had happened in that time I wasn't there?
She didn't want to ruin the evening so she glossed over most of it, ignoring the body language the two of them were giving off.

They were in a tiny restaurant called Off the Wall. It was so small in fact it only had 3 tables. Normally this kind of place was intended for romance. The owners of Off the Wall decided the interior design should be very eclectic. Nothing matched with anything, but all these jumbled things made for a happy and relaxed atmosphere. Willow liked it, because it was quiet but nice. And they had awesome deserts.

She looked at her cousin and her friend and noticed that because of her the conversation had fallen by the wayside.
"Buffy," she finally said. Her roommate turned her attention to Willow.
"Yes, Willow?"
"Any fun stories?" The red head asked hopefully.
Buffy shrugged and smiled softly, "Not really."

"Spike?"
The man put his hands together and looked intently at Buffy. "I have no stories, but I do have a question."
"Do tell!" Willow said, eager for any type of distraction.
"Buffy, pet... could you ask your mother if it hurt giving birth to devil spawn?"
"No, but if you really want to know, you could ask yours," Buffy replied sweetly, taking a bite from a bread roll.

He leered at her. Willow didn't like where this was going. In her desperation she shouted, "I'm gay!"
The other two looked at her, quite surprised. "Willow, we know." Spike said with a friendly tone.
"I-I know, but that sentence is a great way to relocate awkwardness." The girl was almost as red as her hair. Finally she relaxed a bit and let her hands fall on the table. "Could you tell me why you two don't like each other?"

"A vibe thing," Buffy replied vaguely, shooting a glare at Spike, who was incidentally looking at her.
He moved his gaze towards his cousin, "Yeah... that's it," He smiled, but then his eyes went back to Buffy and his tone grew colder. "A vibe thing."

Willow gave up. She waved over a waitress so they could order and have the evening over with. This wasn't going to work. The only she could do now is keep the two apart for the time Spike was staying with them.
______________

Around dessert Willow had left for a bit to go the bathroom. When she returned, she saw Spike and Buffy have an intense debate in hushed whispers, which abruptly stopped when she returned to the table.

She didn't know what they had said together, but the underlying hostility lessened considerably after that. If she didn't know better she could've sworn Buffy and Spike were becoming fast friends. It irked her a little, but relieved her as well. If they could keep this up, at least in her prescence, her cousin staying might actually work out okay. She smiled at them and tucked into her brownie pie.
______________

When they got home, Buffy went to bed almost immediately, claiming to have an early day tomorrow. Willow helped Spike set up his bed and then turned in as well.

In her bedroom she called her girlfriend Tara, to inform her of the night's events.
"What do you think happened?" Willow asked after laying out every detail.
She could hear Tara sigh. "I think they're just two very different people and they got into an argument of some kind."
Willow nodded. "That must be it."
"Don't worry about it, sweetie," Tara said in her soft voice, "Everything will work out fine."

After Willow hung up, she lay back down in bed, mulling over everything. She got startled when she heard a loud noise from the living room.
"Spike? You okay?" she called from her bed.
"Fine," he replied, a little muffled, "Just dropped some things."
"Night,"
"Night, red."


Chapter End Notes:
If you liked it, please review. I will award you with kittens, puppies and a new chapter! Except for the kittens and puppies everything I said was true :3