Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, I wanted to say thanks to all who read and comment. I know I thank you in my responses, but I just want to say it again. Here’s another chapter for you. I should have another chapter for you next week. Thanks to Abby and Diebirchen for the beta. Thanks to Minx Delovely for giving me her honest and valued opinion on things and to Edgehead for the cool banner
William sat slouched on the sofa, his right leg bouncing of its own volition, while he tapped out a rhythm with his fingers on his left thigh. It probably had something to do with the enormous amount of coffee he consumed this morning, not to mention the ridiculous heaps of sugar he loaded into each cup. Buffy teased him mercilessly, but he couldn't have a cup without at least five sugars, and now he was so hyped up he felt as though he'd taken a dose of speed.



When Buffy left, he told her was going out as well, but it was too early to go anywhere but a coffeehouse, so he just sat there, drank coffee, and waited. At ten fifteen he decided to go to a bookstore. He got his wallet, keys, and was about to pick up his phone when it began to ring. Lou Reed's Vicious began playing, and he felt his breath catch in his throat. It was Buffy's ringtone, and he didn't know if her calling so early was such a good thing. He hesitated a moment before answering.



"Hello, Buffy?" He answered, his voice sounding a tad wary and uncertain to him. He held his breath and squeezed his eyes shut, afraid to hear her voice.



"Hi, it's me," she said, her tone almost cheerful. "Can you meet me at the apartment? I'm ready to talk."



The tone of her voice made him nervous. "Sure, I haven't left yet. In fact, you caught me as I was walking out the door," William said, thrumming his fingers on the entryway table.



"Good, I'm glad I caught you. I'll be there soon."



William just stood there, not quite knowing what to do. Buffy hadn't given him time to ask her any questions, and she hadn't exactly been forthcoming with answers. God, he wanted a drink!



William settled for pacing the patio and chain smoking. The day was overcast, and it looked as though the heavens might open up and pour down buckets of rain at any moment. The wind had gone from a light breeze to stormy gusts, and he had a hell of time lighting his last few fags. When William felt the first smattering of drops on his forehead, he stubbed out his ciggie and ran inside.



Without the wind, William smelled like an enormous fag end, so he decided to freshen up. He grabbed a vintage black Bowie t-shirt from his bureau then went into the bathroom to wash his face, brush his teeth, and rub on some Aqua Di Parma aftershave balm.



He tried hard not to think about Buffy and what she might or might not have to say. He wanted to be open with her this morning, but she was having none of it.



Jesus, the bint was a right pain in the arse at times! However, that was one of the things he loved about her—



Wait a tick. That's just ridic—



He heard her call his name. William didn't have time to think anymore. It was time for answers, and he hoped they would be ones he liked.



"William, you still here? I hope you didn't go out in this downpour," Buffy said, her voice ringing out down the hall.



William smiled and shook his head at the thought of her talking to herself. He started walking toward her.



"Yeah, pet, I'm here. Was just in my room. I was outside on the patio when it started, and I got a bit damp, so I just went in to change my shirt." William looked down at floor, suddenly incredibly nervous.



"May I ask you a question?" Buffy sounded serious.



William looked up and met her gaze. Her lips were pursed, and she appeared to be examining him.



"Of course, ask away," he said, running a shaky hand through his hair.



"Exactly how many rock and roll t-shirts do you own? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen you wear anything else. Is that all you have?" Buffy's hands were on her hips and one eyebrow was raised in question.



William blinked and smiled, his nerves calmed for the moment. "A few—I like them. They're my thing. I've had some of them since I was a teenager, and yes I bloody well do have other clothes. You've only been here a week, and we've not exactly been anywhere to merit my dressing up."



He looked at Buffy, and she had that cowed look, where she knew she'd stuck her foot in her mouth. Her eyes darted back and forth from one thing to another, and she shifted her weight to one side, tapping her toe on the other.



William crossed his arms and furrowed his brow. "Do you want to inspect my closet, just for good measure?" He raised hand to his lips and covered them with his thumb and forefinger to hid his smile.



"I was just trying to be funny. I came back here to talk to you, but now I don't know if I want to."



Her glossy bottom lip stuck out, and William had to use immense restraint. He'd never wanted to know how something felt and tasted more in his life. William knew they needed to sit down, before Buffy noticed the growing bulge in his jeans.



He reached out and ran his fingers gently down her arm. "I'm sorry, pet. I was having you on. I've been dying to hear what you have to say. It's all I've been thinking about since you rang. Let's go have a seat, yeah?"



Buffy's eyes twinkled as she took his hand "Ha, ha. I got you. I wasn't upset. I was covering, because I realized I inserted my foot into my mouth once again."



William let out a relieved sigh. "Jesus, you scared me."



"Sorry," Buffy said in a tiny voice.



They walked into the living room and sat facing one another on the sofa. Buffy fixed her eyes on his and began to speak a little hesitantly.



"Okay, you may be mad at me after I tell you where I've been, but I felt I had go, because I don't—" Buffy paused and bit her lip, as though collecting her thoughts. "I think I was brought into this situation blindly, and I needed answers. Answers, that needed to come from the people who brought me here."



William took a deep breath, his thoughts murderous. He couldn't imagine what drivel Rupes had spun her. She was as good as out the door now.



"Olivia met me for coffee this morning. She sends her love." Buffy smiled and William felt a surge of relief. At least his Aunt Liv was sympathetic. "I told her what happened, and she really didn't act surprised. I got really upset, and I told her I thought I'd been mislead by Dr. Giles." Buffy wrung her hands together as though telling him this was painful.



William took her hands, trying to offer her some comfort. "Rupes can be a right bastard, but it's not all his fault. I planned to get my act together for you. Not for you personally, because I didn't know you, but because I needed an assistant, and they would be living here fulltime. Then after I met you and got to know you, I wanted to do it for you. You know, to be a better person, a better man. I'm sorry if you feel betrayed." He hung his head. He was terrified he was going to be a total nancy and cry in front of her.



Buffy squeezed his hands. "William, look at me. I told Olivia the things you told me and she told me some things about your life, how it's been hard for you to trust, because you've been treated poorly in the past. She didn't tell me too much, because she didn't want to betray you."



William kept his eyes on hers, and he saw the wealth of emotion there.



Buffy went on in a shaky voice. "I don't want to either. I know betrayals have affected you, and I don't want you to have mine to add to your list. You're strong, or you wouldn't have made it this far. You wouldn't be the success you are. I believe you can get a handle on your drinking, William. I have faith in you, and I'm willing to stay on and give you support." Buffy gave him a smile and raised her eyebrows as if waiting for his reply.



William couldn't believe he'd heard her say those words. Ecstatic couldn't begin to describe how he felt.



"Oh, kitten, I'm so glad. I promise you won't regret it," he said, reaching out and pulling her into his lap.



William's lips descended on hers, tasting the sweetness of her bottom lip, sucking it into his mouth for a nibble. Buffy moaned, opening her mouth to accept his kiss. Her tongue slipped into his mouth, meeting his, and he was in heaven. He began to nip and tease her lips, moving his way down her jaw and murmuring endearments. He ran his fingers through her hair, his other hand sliding up from her waist to cup her breast. She leaned into him and he ran the pad of his thumb over the hardened peak of her covered nipple.



"Mmm, God." Buffy's fingers tunneled through short hair on the back of William's head.



William smiled into the crook of her neck. "You like that, yeah? Jesus, Buffy, you taste so good," he said, biting her neck then laving it with his tongue.



Buffy's felt like all her nerve endings were on fire. Her mind flooded with naughty images, and she wanted each and every one of them fulfilled. She gathered all her will power and disentangled herself from his hold, standing up on trembling legs, though the ache between her thighs told her to straddle him.



"Oh, my God. That was—uh, I mean we—I can't do this." She felt her cheeks flush and she ran a shaky hand through her hair.



William looked at her like she had two heads. "I don't understand. You just said—"



Buffy sat down and put her hand on his thigh, but noticed the bulge above her hand, which reminded her she'd been enjoying the feel of said bulge just moments ago. She took one of his hands in hers instead. "I meant I would be here for you in a professional capacity and as a friend. I…I didn't mean to keep kissing you like that. I'm sorry." Buffy looked at him imploringly, trying to make him understand.



A smile slowly formed on William's face, causing his eyes to crinkle in the corners, which caused her stomach to do a little flip-flop, a good reminder that she had to be firm and remain in control.



"Well, I for one think it's a bloody revelation," William said. "I'm attracted to you. You're attracted to me. We're consenting adults. It's perfect."



Buffy sighed in frustration before speaking, hoping he wouldn't misunderstand. "William, it's not that simple. Yes, as you clearly just witnessed, I'm very attracted to you, but you have a lot of issues, issues you need to work out, before I can give you anything."



She paused, not meeting his eyes, toying with the hem of her blouse. "I've never—Well, I've never had a serious relationship, and I don't do flings. I've always concentrated on my studies. I do feel something for you I've never felt before, but I don't want to get my heart broken. I realize you wouldn't do it intentionally, but you might do it all the same, and that's something I'm afraid to risk at the moment."



Buffy looked up and saw the hurt flash in his eyes, though it was gone in an instant. She wanted so badly to comfort him.



William leaned back against the couch and put his hands on his temples. "I see. You're willing to be my friend and live with and work with me everyday, knowing how we both feel about one another. You want me to ignore what just happened—one of the most amazing experiences of my life—just tamp it down."



When Buffy couldn't find the words to respond, he leaned forward and turned to her. "You've been honest with me, so I will be honest with you. I've never had a serious relationship either. Yes, I'm thirty-years-old, and I've never had a relationship last longer than a few weeks. I've led a mostly solitary existence, but I've felt more alive in the last week than I've ever felt in my life, and that's because of you. You make me feel things I thought I was incapable of—"



Buffy lifted her hand to cut him off. "William, you don't understand. I—"



"Yes, I do," William said, interrupting before she could finish. "You're frightened, and I completely understand being frightened. I've spent my entire life being afraid of one thing or another. I'm telling you I will be a better man, not only for myself, but for you as well, because you don't deserve anything less."



Buffy held his gaze as she listened to his words. She couldn't believe what she was hearing.



"I'm not asking you to declare your undying love for me or jump into my bed tonight," William said. "Just open yourself and your heart to the possibility of there being an us, and I will do everything in my power to make you not regret your decision."



William took a deep breath and waited. He took her hands in his, rubbing soothing circles on the tops with his thumbs.



Buffy's thoughts had never been more jumbled. She came back here with a plan that was now blown to bits. She wanted so much to trust him, and she remembered Olivia's words about what a good man William was and how he just needed someone to believe in him. She had vowed to protect herself, but maybe she could do both.



Buffy put her other hand on top of his and met his gaze, slightly smiling. "You're infuriating. You know that, right? I came here with a plan in place then you distract me with your words and—and—the other stuff."



Buffy felt her cheeks burn with embarrassment, and William grinned at her. "You have to do some things for me though. We have to take this slow, and don't assume since I live here, I'm just going to fall into bed with you. You also have to make an appointment first thing in the morning to see a therapist and promise me no more than two drinks a day. If you can't handle those then you don't need to drink at all. Do you understand?"



William's face turned serious, and he reached up to caress her cheek. "I understand, and I'll do everything, but I think I need to lay off the drinking completely. I need to get rid of all the alcohol in the apartment. Will you help me with both?"



Buffy leaned her cheek into his hand, trying to convey the depth of her feelings. "Yes, I will." She took his hand from her cheek and placed it in her lap, giving him a beatific smile. "Now, it's raining cats and dogs outside. I'm getting hungry, and it's my day off. What are you planning on doing about it?"



William rolled his eyes and huffed in mock frustration. "Jesus, I should have known better than to confess anything to you. Now, it's going to be nothing but demands, demands, demands,"



She playfully punched him in the arm.



William chuckled. "Oi! Violence will get you nothing. However, I suppose if you're nice to me I could order some Indian and we could veg on the sofa with movies, but no chick flicks. Oh, right I don't have any of those, because I'm a bloke."



Buffy laid her head on her shoulder and sighed. "That sounds like a wonderful plan. I'll just go change into something more comfortable. Oh, by the way don't think I haven't seen that copy of Bridget Jones's Diary hidden behind The Godfather."



She just smiled and walked toward her bedroom.



William made a strangled noise and called out, "Jesus! It's English, and it's a comedy, not a chick flick, silly bint!"



Buffy was certain her giggle could be heard all the way into the living room. "Tell yourself whatever have to boost to your manly pride."



Chapter End Notes:
TBC

Reading your thoughts on this chapter would really make my day. :)