Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Abby for the beta and Minx Delovely for her read throughs and support. I'm sorry I'm a little late with the chapter. If you're reading this as the second chapter, go back and read one. There was more to the chapter than when I first posted. The the lovely banner is by Edgehead.
It was days like this Buffy wished she didn't have to rely on public transportation or her own two feet to get her where she needed to go. Rather than carefully selecting her clothing, as she preferred to do, Buffy threw on a top and some jeans, pulled her hair into a loose ponytail, and dashed out the door with a glance at her watch. She had a meeting with her mentor and former professor, Dr. Giles in fifteen minutes at Rejavanation, a local coffee spot, and it would take at least that to get there on foot. She didn't have time to worry with her bike, and set out at a power-walk pace down the busy sidewalk.

Dr. Giles had called earlier this morning and asked her to meet him about a job opportunity. Anything would beat her current position as a part-time nanny for a pair of horrid parents and their miserable, entitled children. Buffy didn't think it was right to strike a child, but sometimes they made her ponder changing her position. Whatever Dr. Giles had in mind, she hoped it would be something challenging where she could use her degree.

She'd just finished her undergraduate studies at Lexington College with a degree in English and a minor in Marketing. She planned to start her postgraduate work in the fall, pursuing an MA in Modern and Contemporary Literature, with the goal of a career in journalism or publishing.

Buffy was only a minute or two past her meeting time when she reached the small coffee shop. Taking a deep breath, she approached the door and entered.

Inside the small shop was cozy, the walls painted in jewel tones and decorated with art made by local artists. The area was divided into two separate spaces: a sitting room with overstuffed chairs and a sofa, and a separate area filled with small café tables. Dr. Giles was seated at one of tables.

Buffy walked over to stand in front of the table. "Hello, Dr. Giles. How are you?" she asked, hanging her bag on the empty chair. "Have you been waiting long?"

"Oh, no, I just arrived. Shall we go and order?" He stood and gestured for her to go ahead.

Buffy ordered mocha from the counter, while Dr. Giles requested a cup of black tea with cream and sugar. He paid for both, and they went to their to table to wait for their drinks.

"So, Buffy," said Dr. Giles, clasping his hands together on the table. "How's my star pupil enjoying the freedom from school?"

Buffy blushed slightly at the compliment. "Well, I can't say I miss all the papers and the deadlines, but it sure beats the job I have now."

"Oh, and why is that?" Dr. Giles visibly brightened and leaned forward.

"Well, I'm not exactly in a position to employ my degree. I'm a part-time nanny and the pay is fine, but my employers, and especially their children, are almost demonic,"

Buffy said, laughing nervously. "I mean, I don't hate children, but these two have never been told no in their lives. They have no respect for anyone they think is below them, meaning me."

The server, a guy with green hair and a pierced lip, brought them their drinks. He was wearing a t-shirt that read, "Snatch" in bold letters with the words "coming soon" beneath it.

Buffy rolled her eyes. Some people will do anything for attention.

Dr. Giles gave her warm smile. "That sounds spectacularly dreadful," he said as he prepared his tea. "Fortunately, I think I have just the position for you."

Buffy cupped her hands around her mocha and leaned forward slightly. "Oh my God, that would be awesome! I mean, really that sounds great I'd love to hear more."

"My godson is a writer. His first book was published a little over a year ago, and he's been asked to write another." He took a sip of his tea. "He's, shall I say, rather scattered, and could use some help with organization, scheduling, correspondence, and regular day-to-day activities. It would require that you be available around the clock, so you would have to live on the premises. Is this something that would be of interest to you? I'm sure he could at least triple your current salary."

Buffy could hardly believe her ears. This was her dream job! She'd get to utilize her degree and maybe make some contacts as well. She had a few kinks to work out, most notably the living situation. She shared an apartment with her friend, Fred, an arrangement they'd had for the past two years, and Buffy didn't feel right about ditching her. Plus, she'd have to put half her things in storage, and that would cost a mint.

Buffy drummed her fingers on the table excitedly, and she couldn't help smiling. "Wow, that sounds like an amazing opportunity, but I have a roommate, and I can't just move out on her. We've lived together since junior year, and I have a lot of things—"

Giles put his hand in his lap, and looked down at the table, not meeting her eyes. "That's a shame. I'm sure Mr. Patton will be sorry to hear that."

Buffy nearly choked on her mocha. "I'm sorry, did you say Patton? As in Spike Patton?"

Giles looked up and placed his hands back on the table, smiling. "Well, yes, that's his pseudonym. I'm guessing you're familiar with his work?"

Buffy hoped her jaw hadn't dropped onto the table. Surely she heard wrong, but there were no other new authors by that name living the Boston area. She'd be absolutely crazy to pass up a chance like this. She had to figure out a way to make this work.

"Yes, sir, you'd have to be living under a rock not have heard of him! Hostile at Seventeen is an amazing book. I couldn't put it down. Its narrative is unmercifully sharp, and its acerbic wit on the subject of ageism from the perspective of a teen is truly original. He must be very insightful. I'd love to meet him."

Buffy forced herself to quit talking before she started babbling like some crazed fangirl. "I-I mean, if things work out, that is," she said, clearing her throat and taking a drink of her now cold mocha.

"Well, he's a bit under the weather at the moment, but let's you talk things over with your roommate and get back to me," Dr. Giles said. "I'm sure for the months you would be helping him something could be worked out regarding your rent. If all goes well, you could start, say, next Wednesday?"

Giles looked at her intently, awaiting her answer.

"Let me talk to my roommate, and I'll call you tonight or first thing in the morning. Does that sound fair?" Buffy reached out and offered her hand. "I really want to thank you for thinking of me. You know I'll do my best. You won't regret hiring me."

Shut up, Buffy. Let's keep the gushing to a minimum.

Rupert took her hand, then patted the top of it with his other. "I know I shan't. You're the perfect person for this position. He can be scattered, and he's occasionally reckless with his words, but I trust you to keep him in line. He's a good man, one of the best I know."

Buffy withdrew her hand and stood. She was still smiling, but his last exchange had her worried. "Doctor Giles, what do you mean, keep him in line? I won't work for someone who thinks they can harass me."

Rupert's eyebrows rose, and he started to reach for his glasses, stopping at the last second. "Oh, no! I only meant he's in need of a bit of assistance at the moment. He would never make an advance toward you."

Buffy let out a breath. "Oh, good. I thought I was going to have to quit before I started. If you don't mind, I need to get going. I've got some errands to run, then I need to talk with my roommate. I'll call you in the morning, if that's okay."

"Yes, quite. Have a good evening, and I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow."

Buffy made her way out of the shop, her mind running a mile a minute. This was the chance of a lifetime. How lucky was she? What kind of man was Spike Patton? She didn't really know a lot about the man himself, only what she'd read on the dust jacket and that was almost nothing. Buffy hoped he'd be as kind as Dr. Giles. Hopefully, Fred would take things well. She was doing an internship this summer and tended to throw herself into her work whether she was paid or not, so Buffy knew she wouldn't be seeing much of her. Buffy also wanted to call her mom and dad. She knew they'd be excited for her, but she didn't know how well they'd like the idea of her living with her boss. All these thoughts and a million others were skittering through her head as made her way down the street.

She couldn't believe her luck!

When Buffy got home she found Fred in shorts and Lexington sweatshirt, sitting on the sofa, channel surfing, and eating Wasa crackers with jalapeno pimento cheese. Her chestnut ponytail swayed as she turned to smile at Buffy.

"Oh, hey stranger. Feels like I haven't seen you in forever. Been at the Lawsons'?"

"No, thank God! I just came from having coffee with professor Giles." Buffy was almost bouncing with excitement. When Fred didn't take the bait, she said, "Well, come on! Don't you want to know why I'd be having coffee with one of my old professors?"

Fred's blue eyes danced with mischief. "You've always had the hots for him, and now you've a torrid affair? It's the classic May – December romance!" she said, smiling and gesturing dramatically.

Buffy put down her shopping bags and sat beside Fred on the battered sofa with her hands on her cheeks.

"Oh, yes! How'd you ever guess?" she said, barely containing her laughter. "I'm his paramour. Damn you, Winifred Burkel! Damn you to hell!

Both girls collapsed into a fit of giggles. Fred even snorted, making Buffy laugh harder.

"Okay, okay, stop. I have to tell you the real reason I met him. He offered me a job with Spike Patton–"

"Huh–you're kidding right? How would he even know Spike Patton?" Fred's eyes widened, and she was wearing the look she often wore when she thought someone was pulling her leg.

Buffy was wringing her hands and tapping her foot on the floor.

"Nope, I'm not. Dr. Giles is his godfather, and he was looking for an assistant, he recommended me. Mr. Patton must have liked what he heard. He let Dr. Giles offer me the job, and I start on Monday."

Fred reached over and hugged her. "Oh my gosh, Buffy that's so exciting. But what are you going to do about the Lawsons?"

Buffy sat back and took a deep breath. "Well, there are a few things I need to tell you. I have to live with him, but he will pay my share of the rent while I'm there, so don't worry about that. I mean if you don't want to live by yourself and want to find another roommate that's fine too. As for the Lawsons, I'll call them tonight and give them my resignation. It's not as if they've ever treated me well. I'll give them a few days notice, and she doesn't work, so she can watch her own kids until she finds another nanny. Besides, they haven't paid me half of what they owe me, and I'm sure I'll never see that money."

Fred bobbed her head excitedly. "You're right. You were living The Nanny Diaries without the cute boy and nice kid. I'll miss you when you're not here, but I don't want to go through the hassle of finding another roommate. I think we're pretty good together. Don't you? And how great is it that he's willing to pay your rent? Sounds like you've got it made, sister." Fred smiled and poked Buffy's leg with her toe.

Buffy looked a bit solemn for a moment. "I know. But Dr. Giles just said her was going through a rough time right now or something like that, so I hope I can help."

Fred leaned up and put her hand on Buffy' leg. "Listen. If anybody can help him, it's you. You were the head of your class, and you're kind and funny. He'd be crazy not worship you as the goddess of assistants."

Fred's infectious optimism wormed its way through Buffy's doubt, and she couldn't help but smile. "You know, I think I like the sound of that."


Chapter End Notes:
Please take the time to let me know what you thought. Next, Buffy and William will be meeting.