Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all you of you who’ve been reviewing. I’m always thrilled to hear what you have to say. In case you’re unaware, I always respond to my reviews. I’m sorry for not posting sooner. I’ve been out of town handling the final details of my mother’s estate. I was going to post before I left, but my mind was elsewhere. Thanks to Abby for her wonderful beta skills. She always pushes me to do my best and to Minx Delovely for reading over the chapter and giving me her valued opinion. The cool banner is by Edgehead, thanks so much.
The moment Buffy set foot inside her new room, she was in love. It was gorgeous and twice the size of her old one, as was the closet. The furniture was fantastic, and it was all pieces she would have chosen for herself if she'd had the money. Luxurious, snow-white bedding made the room feel more like a boutique hotel than anything Buffy imagined she would have.



She walked into the bathroom and was delighted to find a large, deep tub encased in tiny blue and green tiles as well as a separate shower. The green tiles were almost the exact shade of the walls in her bedroom. The vanity spanned the length of the smallest wall, with cabinets underneath and two drawers, giving her plenty of space to put her things. She'd definitely moved up in the world living wise.



William had suggested Buffy unpack, but she felt she needed to be working. So after putting her toiletries away, Buffy headed for the living room. It was empty, so she called for William but got no response. She found him in the kitchen, standing by the refrigerator swigging a beer. That was a little odd, since they hadn't even had lunch, but she supposed it wasn't any of her business.



"Hey, I decided to finish later," she said. "I thought we could get started on some things now."



William jumped as if he'd been caught stealing, nearly dropping his beer. "Fuck! You scared me! I didn't hear you come in. Warn a fella next time."



Buffy felt like she was being chastised. "I did. I called you and you didn't answer, so I went looking for you. I was doing the talky thing the whole time."



William threw the now empty bottle into the trash and ran a hand through his hair. "Sorry, I didn't hear you."



He didn't seem sorry, more like petulant.



"It's Okay. I just thought we could get started with the work of working," she said, keeping her tone even so she didn't piss him off twice in less than two hours. "I need a cell that's linked with yours, so I can handle the majority of your calls from now on. We either need to go out and get one, or you can order one from your service provider and have it overnighted. Are you good on office supplies, or do we need to get those as well? I can't do my job unless I have the stuff I need."



He stared at her for a moment looking dazed. "Um, okay. Check the office and see what you need, and we'll get the shopping done after we grab some lunch. That all right with you?"



Buffy nodded. "Sure, sounds great. I'll go have a gander, then meet you in the living room."



As Buffy left the room, William leaned against the refrigerator and ran his hands over his face. God, she'd already caught him. He couldn't gauge her reaction either, and that made him nervous. William grabbed the bottle from the trash and the other two from the counter behind him and made a mad dash for the garbage chute in the hall outside his apartment, hoping he didn't get caught. He was as quiet as possible and made it back in time to have a cigarette.



Buffy came into the room with her purse on her shoulder and her cute little nose scrunched up in detestation.



"Hey, I'm ready to go," she said, her gaze landing on his cigarette. "How about you? I made a list of things we need."



He took a drag off his cigarette and exhaled before he spoke. "Something wrong, pet? Is my having a fag bothering you?"



The smoke dispersed around him, making its way toward her. Buffy looked at him with wide eyes, her mouth opening and closing as if she wanted to say something, but thought better of it.



"I–uh. It' not up to me to tell you what to do. But hey, if you want ruin your lungs, waste your money, and stink up your apartment, you just feel free."



Color rose on her cheeks and she clapped her hand over her mouth.



William threw back his head and laughed. "Bloody hell, woman, you should have a license for that tongue. It's sodding lethal."



Buffy squeezed her eyes shut and hit her side with her fist. "Oh, God. Oh, God. I'm sorry, but you asked, and I have this overwhelming urge to be all truth-telly, even if it gets me in trouble."



She looked adorable when she was flustered, and Jesus Christ on a crutch, she was pouting!



Shaking his head, William walked onto the patio to put the cigarette out and returned to the kitchen, smoke free. "Look, I don't have to smoke inside all the time. I can go out on the patio. While we're out today, we can go to Harvard Square, and you can get some candles from one of those posh shops. How does that suit you?"



She smiled and let out a deep breath, her green eyes sparkling. "That's pretty generous of you. Thanks. Can we go now?"



She fidgeted with the strap of her purse and looked everywhere but at him.



William put a hand in his pocket and motioned for her to go ahead of him. "After you."



William pulled the car onto Mass Ave. and found a parking spot. He suggested they come to Elephant Walk, a Cambodian-French restaurant. Buffy had never had Cambodian food, but said she was game to try anything. He got out of the car and went around to her side to open her door. She was pushing, as he was pulling, and her eyes widened as she stepped out of car, her cheeks pink with embarrassment.



"I'm sorry if I offended your feminist pride by opening your door. I'm just used to being a gentleman. I am aware you're capable of opening a door on your own," he said, with a little bit of mischief in his voice. It was fun to see her in a dither.



Buffy looked as if she was caught between a snide retort and thanking him, as she looked up into his eyes and a slow smile came across her face. "I think being a gentleman is very nice. I don't think anyone's ever opened a car door for me. Kinda makes me feel like a star or something. I think it's something I could get used to."



William leaned back on his heels and raised an eyebrow. "Well, I'm glad to know I didn't offend you. Shall we go in?"



"Yes, please. My stomach stomach might eat itself soon."



William noted that Buffy deliberately waited for him to open the door to the restaurant, which he did with a flourish. "After you, Miss Summers."



The hostess showed them to the upstairs dining room, placed their menus on the table, and told them their server would be with them shortly.



Buffy, sitting on a banquette opposite William, looked around the room at all the art on the exposed brick walls. "This is a cool place, and it smells yummy."



William smiled. "I'm glad you like. I hope someone comes soon. I'm bloody starving."



They sat back and perused the menu. William said they should start with an appetizer, and Buffy told him he could choose. A few moments later a young woman clad in black arrived at the table. They both ordered blackberry spritzers, and William picked Cambodian spring rolls as an appetizer.



They were ready to order by the time the server returned with their drinks. William ordered the curry, and Buffy ordered the roasted chicken with mushrooms and potatoes gratin. They sat in comfortable silence for a while, until William asked her a question.



"How do you feel about travel?"



Buffy took a sip of her drink and tilted her head to the side. "That's a pretty general question with a lot of contingencies. I'm afraid you'll have to be teensy bit more specific."



William smirked and rolled his eyes. "Nothing is ever easy with you, is it pet? I meant like a lecture tour. The publishing house wants me to do a one-week tour. My agent thinks it's a good idea, but I haven't given the full go ahead."



He placed his hands on the table and leaned forward. "I was wondering what your thoughts were. It would be really fast-paced, seven cities in eight days. Let's face it. If I've learned anything about you today, it's that you'll be frank."



One arm was crossed and her chin rested in the palm of the other. "Since you mentioned it, I thought you'd be funnier in person."



William narrowed his eyes at her and she laughed. "I think it's a good idea, but I'd like to see the details first. Do you think you can get those this afternoon?"



William smiled and gave her a little mock salute. "I'm impressed. I'll call my agent right now and get him to email them to me. You can look them over while we're running errands. If you'll excuse me, I'll go and do that right now,"



"Sure, no problem. I'll be right here."



William headed downstairs to the bar and ordered a double Stoley's on the rocks. He dialed his agent and got him on the first ring. It was hard to come up with a lie as to why he hadn't called him back in the last week, but Eric seemed to be appeased at the possibility of the lecture tour and said he'd email the details over immediately. William told Eric about Buffy and how, from now on she'd be taking most of his calls. Eric assured William he would call back later in the day with all the information. When the call finished, William downed his drink, paid, and went back upstairs.



Their appetizers arrived just as William got back to the table. The spring rolls were delicious, and the vinegar dipping sauce was the perfect complement.



A short while later their entrees were brought to the table. They ate and talked about one thing or another companionably.



"This is beyond good. I'm glad you suggested it. I'm going to have to learn how to make this," she said, putting another forkful in her mouth.



"I need to taste it then, just to see if it's rubbish." He leaned over and opened his mouth, waiting to see her reaction.



Buffy pulled her plate close to her in a possessive manner and toed him in the shin with one of her fashionably, pointy pumps. "This isn't rubbish, and it wouldn't be if I made it either. You just stay on your side of table and eat your food." She gave him a haughty smirk, but he knew she was teasing.



William's eyes went wide, and he jerked back in his chair. "Ow! Bloody hell, you're a feisty chit, did you grow up on the streets in California?" He tried to feign offense, but he couldn't keep the laughter out of his voice.



Buffy swallowed and rolled her eyes. "Um, yeah the mean streets of Pasadena, suburb of L.A. I was in a gang and everything. That's how I got my scholarship to Lexington. They don't just give them to you for academics. You have to have extra curricular activities as well," she said, deadpan.



William countered her eye roll and smiled, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "You're a–never mind. I think I remember one of the cities on the tour being Los Angeles. Does your family still live there?"



He watched her face light up as she smiled. "Yes, my parents and little sister still live there. I don't get home very often. Usually only at Christmas. They were here for graduation, but it would be awesome to see them."



William smiled back at her, warmed by the love she clearly had for her family. "That's great. Seeing them is top priority. How old is your little sister?"



She gave him a small grin and bit her bottom lip. "I should say younger, because she's not little. She's fourteen, a good five inches taller than I am, and thinks she's a sophomore in college instead of high school. I always thought she was a real brat, but now I miss her," Buffy said, looking wistful.



William laughed, took a bite of his curry, and swallowed. "Hmm, that bratty thing is interesting. Sounds like you have a lovely family."



"Oh, I do," she said, with a sigh. "My mom and dad have been married for twenty-five years. I'm one of the few people I know whose parents are still together."



He must have made a face, because Buffy flinched and seemed to shrink down in her chair a little. "I'm sorry to go on about my family. Olivia said you lost both your parents. I can't begin to imagine how painful that must be. 'I'm sorry' doesn't seem remotely adequate or appropriate to say. Do you have any siblings?"



"No, no, I don't have any siblings," he said, averting his eyes before she could read anything else in them. "It's just me. Are you about done here? We need to get a move on if we want to get all this stuff done today."



When Buffy nodded, William called for the check and threw a wad of cash on the table to cover it. He stood to leave without looking back, assuming she would follow.



Buffy walked behind him and stopped at the car, but he reminded her about the candles and she didn't argue. William was all business as they did their shopping and returned to the apartment, barely saying two words to her the entire time.



Buffy put the office supplies away in silence, and couldn't stand it any longer. She found William outside on the patio having a cigarette and a beer. She approached him cautiously and sat down beside him.



"Um, hi. I just wanted to see if you were okay. You've seemed sort of wigged about something since lunch. I wanted to make sure I hadn't somehow put my foot in my mouth again."



He looked over at her, and she could see sadness in his eyes. He smiled, but the sadness remained. "No, you didn't do anything wrong. I'm sorry if I've been an arse to you this afternoon. I've just had a lot on my mind. I'm a decent bloke. I may yank your chain, but I would never intentionally be unkind to you. Why don't we go in and look over those cities?"



They went inside and sat down on the couch. Buffy grabbed the pile of papers off the coffee table and held them up.



"The cities are, in order: New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, and Atlanta. The tour would start on Monday and end on Sunday, with a flight back here Monday morning."



She leaned back a little, pulled her hair off her shoulders, and stretched. "I'll take a look at all the venues tomorrow and make sure the accommodations are up to your standards, plus make sure they book an extra room for me. How does all this sound to you?"



He looked at her and put his hand on her knee. "Sounds like you've already outdone yourself. You're a star."



The warmth of his hand sent tingles up her spine. She told herself he was just being grateful. "Well, I think I'll go finish my unpacking now. See you in a little while. Maybe we can see if we have the same taste in television."



William smiled, and this time it reached his eyes. "All right, but I'm not watching any poncy reality shows." He gave her a mock scowl.



"Oh, thought for sure you'd be a man who DVR'd every episode of Dancing with the Stars."



"Oi, piss off, you cheeky bint!"



Buffy just laughed as she backed out the room.



Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed!