Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter quickly betaed by Sallyntmare. I did edit some myself and I hope I didn't make too many mistakes. There was a section of the story where I changed it a bit after reading some of Sallyntmare's comments on how she felt about it. I decided after I read her helpful comments to change things up a bit. Not too much but if there's mistakes it's my fault not hers. Enjoy guys!

Chapter 11: Heroes



Buffy was very cheerful as she sat down to finish her art project. She had the perfect idea of how to finish the picture. She carefully sketched herself dressed in a fantastic leather outfit, complete with a stake in hand. Both her and Spike were drawn fighting a vampire together. Once she finished drawing, she used the colored pencils that she got from class to color in the picture. After three hours of working hard and a cramped hand later she was finally finished.

She was so proud of her work that if someone were in the room, she would walk right up to them and kiss them! She was tempted to go see William in his 'thinking spot' but noticed it was much too early for him to even be there. Instead, she ran down the stairs and into the kitchen to show her Mother.

Once she was satisfied with the amount of compliments on her artistic abilities, she sat down to enjoy her plate of dinner. She spent the dinner and an hour afterwards, listening to Dawn talk about school, sharing a bit about her classes and really spending the time enjoying the family together time. When Joyce and Hank went upstairs and Dawn went to watch a television show, Buffy found herself alone.

Once again she was tempted to go see William but she stopped herself from going. She realized what she needed was some quiet alone time to think and being around William made her unable to do that.

After climbing the stairs and entering her room, Buffy laid back on her bed on top of the covers listening to the quiet sounds of the television on the floor below her and the muttered sounds of her parents talking. In this new world, she was able to actually spend time in silence thinking. Back where she came from there was always something keeping her absolutely busy. Things like the latest big bad, something going on with her friends or family, work, school, etc had kept her from ever over analyzing things. Here she could try.

She sighed as she rolled over onto her side to stare out the window at the darkness. Why did she always feel the urge to run to Spike and now William whenever something came up? Back in her Sunnydale, she could use the excuse that he was a vampire and most of her emergencies had been related to various big bads over the years but while that was true it was only part of the things she had run to him with. She had run to him when she needed to feel safe, when she was confused and needed clarity or when she just needed someone to listen. He had always been there for her no matter what. In the place where she came from, not that she would have drawn a picture of Spike to take to school with her, but she would have still shared with him the joy of finishing her art project.

Buffy stood up to undress and pull her nightclothes over her head deciding once and for all not to go to see William tonight. It was too late by now and a night alone would do her good. She crawled into bed with a long pink silk shirt on. As she rolled over to her side and studied the pictures of her friends Xander and Willow, she realized something else. Since she was being honest with herself she had to admit quietly in the silence of her room that Spike was her most important friend and probably best friend where she came from. He was the one she counted on the most and he never let her down even when she let herself down. In this new world it would be no different.

She smiled a little as she made a vow to herself that she would love William as she did Spike and be the best of friends she could be to him like Spike was to her. Closing her eyes, she dreamed of her and Spike on magical slaying adventures.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Today was the day that William had no choice but to notice her stand in front of the art class, so she chose her outfit very carefully. She decided on a pink short-sleeve shirt that hung off her shoulders slightly due to its large round neck line. Then she wiggled on a tan skirt that flared around her knees showing off her legs. She slipped on a pair of thinly strapped sandals that matched the color of her skirt, then pulled her hair halfway back, leaving dainty curls to cascade around her face.

She sat in front of her mirror as she dabbed on a light cover-up of makeup. Looking at her reflection, she grinned, pleased by her appearance; she really did look great.

She collected her art project and her math, practically skipping down the stairs. She sat down at the table and took the offered plate of pancake her Mother had handed her. She quickly gobbled it down because she was in a rush to get to school.

Her mother smiled at her, commenting once again on her outfit, “You look great today. Any special occasion? “
Buffy nodded, “I have to do a presentation in Art class today and wanted to look nice.”

Dawn grinned, “Is William in your class?”

Buffy nudged her sister so she lost balance and almost fell of the chair.

“Yes but that’s not why I’m looking nice.” Buffy admitted.
Dawn danced out of the room, grabbing her backpack singing, “Buffy and William sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G.”

Buffy tuned her sister out as she followed her out the door, hoping everything went well for her day.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy stood at the front of the class, feeling nervous as she put her picture on the board. She cleared her throat as she stood in front of the podium that was set up for the presentations. She was the second to the last one to go, with William being the last.

She outstretched her arm to gesture towards the picture. Then took a deep breath, preparing herself for her rehearsed speech.

“I have created superheroes that save the world one vampire at a time. The female is a Vampire Slayer and was chosen as the one in all the world to fight demons and vampires. The male is actually a vampire himself who fell in love with the slayer. He now fights at her side, protecting her and saving the world as well. The vampire would be strong with enhanced senses, including ability to see in the dark and to track using his sense of smell. Both would have increased healing abilities allowing them to fight without fear of waking up the next morning and looking like a punching bag. The Slayer would have enhanced strength and fighting skills that she would have been trained with.” She paused, glancing around the room, she noticed that no one looked bothered by her project and instead were admiring her work. She smiled slightly before continuing, “The vampire would be called Spike and the Slayer would be called” She hesitated then finally stated, “Buffy.”

The class laughed in uproar as another student shrugged, “I called my superhero after me too.”

The teacher spoke up to settle the class down, “I think it’s wonderful that she drew herself in the form of a supernatural superhero. It’s great to think of ways to better yourself and a way to save the world. Excellent job Buffy. Please be sure to take your project with you since we have already scanned it in,“ she turned to look at William. “William you are next.”

William looked overly nervous as he made his way to the front of the classroom. He placed on the wall behind him, a picture of a young girl with blond hair. She looked normal enough, dressed in a red dress that almost sparkled off the paper and seemed to fit as a second skin. William looked down at his paper, refusing to look at the class, “Her name is Firezone. Her special skill is to grant wishes to those who find her favor. She can grant anything including love wishes, increase in money wishes and fame wishes. The only thing she cannot do is bring death onto others.”

William looked up, obviously finished with his presentation, causing the class to applaud. Then William scurried of the podium stand just as the bell rang.

The teacher yelled out, “Make sure everyone’s projects are scanned in and next week we will start on something new. Be sure to bring fresh pencils and paper with you. Class dismissed.”


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



William ran to catch up with Buffy and asked curiously, “Why does your superhero look similar to me?”

Buffy shrugged, not wanting to tell the truth, “You have the most beautiful blue eyes I’ve ever seen,“ she shrugged. “Besides, what you did for Drusilla was heroic.”

William blushed and Buffy paused in her walking to turn to him, “Want a ride home? I can drop you off at the curb again. I just need to pick up Dawn first before dropping you off.”

William nodded then held out his hand, “If you are offering me a ride home then it’s only right that I carry your books for you.” Buffy hesitated and he insisted, “Let me do that for you.”

Buffy relented with a slight smile, handing him the few books she had.

Once they reached the car in silence, William continued to hug the books to his chest as Buffy attempted to start a conversation with him.

“So how come your mom is so opposed to you getting rides home?” she asked.

William frowned, “She doesn’t like me associating myself with others. She prefers that we live alone.”
Buffy frowned right back, “But she has friends…why can’t you?”

William shrugged, “I don’t think she thinks I need friends.”

Buffy’s frown turned into a smile then, “Everyone needs friends. Even superheroes need friends. We are friends after all.”

William studied Buffy, asking timidly, “W-we are friends B-Buffy?”

Buffy nodded, “No more being nervous around me. We are friends after all.”

William smiled slightly as Dawn got in the car. Buffy returned that smile as she realized this was the first step to being a perfect best friend to William. She had never called Spike a friend but she would do so to William.

“I got an A on my power point presentation today and Janice was so jealous!” the teenager spoke.

The rest of the car ride was spent with Dawn chattering happily about her day filling the car with laughter and smiles. Even William seemed a little more easy around Dawn and Buffy that he smiled and even chuckled a little at Dawn's funny stories.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Dawn and Buffy finished doing their homework in an empty house. Hank and Joyce were out for the evening so they left money for a pizza that they could enjoy for dinner. Buffy made the call, ordering a large pepperoni pizza and a bottle of diet coke. Then the girls stuffed themselves silly on the food and laughed a lot due to the abundance of joking around they were doing.

Finally, once they could no longer eat anymore, Buffy showed Dawn her art project.

“Wow that’s amazing Buffy. How did you come up with that?”

Buffy shrugged, “It’s all in my head. It’s like a reoccurring dream I’ve had for years. All I had to do was picture it and then draw it on paper. It’s pretty neat if you ask me.”

Dawn nodded in agreement, “Can you draw me as a superhero?”

Buffy giggled as she ruffled Dawn’s hair, “I’ll try. Now let’s go up to bed. It’s getting late.”