Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks Sallyntmare for betaing this chapter for me as well as all the other chapters! This story would not be published as quickly as it has been if it weren't for her!

Chapter 15: Bronzing It

Chapter

As Buffy did the final touches to her ‘Bronze look’, she smoothed over a thin layer of pink gloss on her lips. She stepped back to look at herself in the mirror. She was wearing a dark blue, mid thigh length dress and dark blue sling back sandals. Her nails were painted a crystal white that contrasted beautifully with the dark blue of her outfit.

She had rarely painted her nails in the old Sunnydale. The biggest reason was because she never had time. She chucked as she thought back to the time that Spike had painted her nails for her. He had painted her nose pink to make a point about her not appreciating his ability to paint her nails perfectly.

She smiled, taking one more glance in the mirror, then collected her purse.

When she opened her bedroom door she saw, Dawn standing there, tapping her foot impatiently.

“C’mon, slow poke,“ Dawn rolled her eyes. “Not even Barbie needed so much time to get ready before a party.”

Buffy laughed, “Well, Barbie has boobs as big as Mount Washington, so everyone stares at them, not her face. Her taking the time to put on makeup would be a waste.“

Dawn laughed, then ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. She grabbed a cookie that Joyce had freshly baked.

“We are ready mom.” the younger Summers grinned.

Dawn was dressed in a light pink sparkle dress that went to her knees, with white sandals on her feet. Her hair had been pulled back part way to be put into a sparkling pink ribbon. She was holding Janice’s gift in one hand and a beach bag in the other. She was so excited that her giddy grin could not be contained. She was beyond ready to go.

Buffy opened the front door, and with a grin of her own she gestured for her sister to walk through.

“After you, my younger sister.”

Dawn giggled as she finished the cookie, then brushed her hands of crumbs.

“I can’t wait! Justin is going to be there!,“ Dawn twirled around once they entered the garage. “Do I look nice enough?“

As they both reached the car, Buffy smiled and nodded, “You look perfect. Justin is just going to love how you look.”

Dawn grinned, then put on a mock sultry accent to say, “You look divine, Buffy. William is going to stutter just from looking at you.”

Buffy blushed as she started the car. Dawn immediately started to chatter about how Janice had planned to watch a movie, have pizza and numerous other junk foods. They were going to have tons of fun at her party, including going swimming in her indoor pool that had lights so they could swim even at night. Buffy smiled as they reached Janice’s house, noticing it was already full of people.
Dawn quickly jumped out of the car and ran towards her friends.

Buffy yelled after her sister, “Have fun and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!”

Dawn just laughed and waved as she disappeared into the house.

Buffy pulled out of the driveway and made her way to the Bronze.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



As Buffy pulled into a parking space she saw Liam, and suddenly remembered that she had never actually told him ‘no’ from when he asked her to the dance. She didn’t think that she had anything to worry about though, because he had his arm wrapped around a girl that she didn’t recognize, with a silly grin on his face, and she was rubbing up against him. Buffy loved that the visual in front of her didn’t bother her at all. The only thing on her mind was getting to William.

Buffy stepped out of the car and was immediately greeted by her friends.

Xander whistled, then said, “You look great, Buffy! Who’s your date?”

Willow stepped up from behind Xander, with Tara standing beside her.

Buffy grinned at the two and shrugged, “No date. I decided not to go with Liam for obvious reasons.”
Xander laughed, “I have no date so I’ll keep you entertained.”

As they rounded the corner, and Tara was looking away, Willow gave Buffy the thumbs up. Willow was excited that Tara had agreed to go to the dance with her.

Buffy paid for her own ticket, while the others entered into the Bronze because they had bought their tickets while they were waiting for her to arrive. She took a step inside and was overwhelmed by the noise. It was just as she remembered the dances at the Bronze being: Lots of noise, including the sound of laughter and talking, the smell of alcohol and sweat, as well as loud, pumping music filled her ears.

She made her way to a booth that she saw Willow and Tara sitting at and slid into it, with Xander right behind her, drinks in hand. Tara and Willow were sitting opposite of them.

For a few minutes the gang happily drank their drinks in comfortable silence.

Willow put her drink down and turned to Tara.
“Care to dance baby?” she asked.

Tara nodded shyly, then let Willow lead her onto the dance floor.

Xander grinned at Buffy, “Care to join them out there?”
Buffy nodded as she let him lead her to where Willow and Tara were dancing. She danced with her friends for almost two hours, but stopped when she saw Anya had arrived. She excused herself from the gang and went to visit with Anya, who was thankfully out of Xander’s sight.

“Hey, Buffy. How’s it going?” Anya greeted.

Buffy smiled, “It’s going good. How about you?”

Anya shrugged, avoiding the question, then took a sip of her drink.

Buffy frowned slightly, “I’m sorry we haven’t been close since you and Xander…you know. I wouldn’t mind getting together with you and going to the gym sometime or just hang out.”

“You want to hang out with me after Xander broke up with me?” Anya smiled.

“I’d even love to hear your side of what happened.”
Anya again shrugged, taking another sip of her drink. There was so much alcohol in her drink that Buffy’s nose stung.

“Well, there isn’t much to tell. I’m sure Xander told you everything. We just got too close and he proposed, but our families didn’t like the idea,“ she frowned. “His family pressured him into thinking that we were too young and not right for each other. He listened, thus the dumping,“ her wiped a tear out of her eye, “It was sad, really sad, heartbreaking even, but I’ll survive.“

“I’m so sorry, Anya. I do want to be your friend. The offer is still on the table: I need someone to go to the gym two days a week with me or we can do something else if you want.”

Anya smiled, “The gym sounds great! Just give me a call and I’ll go with you. I go every other day as it is.”

Buffy smiled, then glanced back when she felt someone looking at her. Xander was frowning at her once he noticed who she was talking to.

She looked back to Anya, then smiled as she gestured towards the table that her friends were now sitting at.

“I should go say my ‘goodbyes.’ I’m heading out of here early tonight. I still have homework to do.” Buffy said.

“Thanks, Buffy, for wanting to spend time with me. I just didn't think anyone would want to.” Anya said with a slight frown.

Buffy placed a hand on the girl’s shoulder.
“You’re a good friend and a nice girl, Anya. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

Anya smiled as Buffy turned back and made her way towards the table.

“So, I’m going to head home. I have to pick up Dawn from her party in a few minutes.” Buffy said to her friends.

That was a lie, because she really wanted to make sure she saw William tonight. If she arrived too late, then he may not have been there. The gang seemed to take the bait, as they waved then headed back to the dance floor. Willow and Tara giggled as they went back to the floor, and Xander followed behind.

Buffy let out a hopeful sigh as she exited the Bronze. She got in the car and made her way towards William’s ’Thinking Spot.’