Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to the lovely Puddinhead for her betaing skillz.
Previously:

"It's kind of...um...noisy out there. I'd be more comfortable in here," Eddie said, drawing back the rumpled sheets and sinking into Giles' abandoned bed.

"Is Dav okay? Do you think I should go out and talk to her?"

"No, definitely not. Giles is taking care of her. I think you're probably the last person she wants to see right now," Eddie said, his gestures so twitchy they reminded Xander of a guinea pig cleaning itself.

~*~

Sun streamed through the windows in Dav's bedroom and shone harmlessly on Spike. The sharp edges of his face were blunted by the natural light and Buffy couldn't believe how much younger he looked. She kissed his forehead, but he didn't stir. She frowned, certain he hadn't moved at all through the night. That didn't mean he wouldn't wake up though, and having the sun in his eyes would drive him into a panic. She went over to the window and closed the curtains before leaving the room.

Her friends had to be closer to solving Spike's snoozy problem. Snoozy problem sounded much less scary than coma.

When she stepped into the hall, a delicious, maple smell wafted over her. She followed the scent and the murmuring voices to the kitchen. Giles was standing by the granite counter lifting something golden and fluffy out of a red waffle iron. He was dressed in his clothes from the night before, just like Xander and Eddie. Dav was between the boys at the white, wooden table in the corner. She was freshly scrubbed and kitted out in a cute, green top that showed off her cleavage. Her hair was plaited in a French braid with soft ringlets falling out to frame her tastefully made-up face. While the others were grubby and careworn, Dav looked like she'd prepped for a first date. Her back was to her ex and was completely ignoring him.

"So at least Joyce is safe," Eddie said, then noticed Buffy. He smiled at her, his brown eyes sparkling, and got to his feet.

"What about my mom?"

Eddie walked over and gave her a quick hug.

"She's with Andrew and Willow."

Buffy's face crinkled and she tilted her head.

"Andrew? The translation guy from the coffee shop?"

His chest puffed up slightly and he grinned.

"Yup. We're an item."

"Wow, I disappear for a few weeks and Sunnydale turns into the set of 'All My Children,'" Buffy said.

"You have no idea," Eddie said under his breath. She glanced at her friends and noticed Xander's facial tic was back, Dav was examining her nails and Giles was blushing. Giles was BLUSHING. Things were definitely weird. She went to the table and had a seat. Her Watcher set a plate in front of her that was loaded with a throw pillow-sized Belgiun waffle.

"Dav, this looks amazing," Buffy said without making a move to actually eat. Even though the aroma was delectable, she was waiting on Eddie's story.

"All Rupert," Dav said, tilting her head up and giving Giles a dazzling smile. He didn't quite return it, opting for a nod instead before walking back to the counter. Dav's face fell and she resumed studying her cuticles.

"I didn't know you could cook," Xander said as he busied himself screwing and unscrewing the lid on a salt shaker. Buffy had the urge to reach across the table and stop him.

"You pick up a few things along the way," Giles said and plopped a dollop of batter onto the iron with a measured hand. Dav gnawed on her thumbnail and Xander began fiddling with the jolly, red sugar bowl. Buffy's patience with all the agitated behavior was reaching its end. She looked at Eddie.

"So, you were going to tell me about my mom," Buffy said. She folded her arms over her chest.

"Sorry, of course." Eddie shifted on his chair so he was sitting sideways and facing her.

"Andrew and Willow went to get her last night while we were breaking you guys out of the Initiative. The whole idea was to bring Joyce here, but while they were packing her stuff, a bunch of soldiers descended on the place. Willow did a concealment spell and they hid until the bastards took off. Willow and Andrew spent the night there with your mom because the house was being watched. Here's the crazy part, though."

"There's a crazier part than that?" Buffy asked.

"Oh yeah. Around five in the morning, there was an explosion. The commando dudes surveilling your mom's house got into their Humvee and peeled out a couple seconds after they heard the big boom. It was all over the news this morning—a gas main beneath a frat house on the Sunnydale University Campus exploded. You guys probably know it. The fraternity has that Toys for Tots/Jello Wrestling night right before Christmas break every year."

"And what about me makes you think Jello wrestling would be a handy point of reference?" Dav asked.

"I thought everybody knew about that. I mean, I'm not even a student there and I got a flyer," Xander said.

"Save the quips till the end. Was anyone hurt?" Buffy asked.

"You'd assume that at five in the morning a frat house would be full of guys sleeping, right, but there was only one fatality."

"Take a guess," Xander said.

"Riley Finn," Buffy said softly.

"Yup. Local police aren't handling the investigation either. Since the frat was affiliated with R.O.T.C., it's the military's deal."

"What does it mean?

"We don't know," Giles said.

The metal mixing bowl he was rinsing clanged against the stainless steel sink. Dav jumped when she heard the sound.

"There is some good news, though. Willow called with some information about the stuff that probably transformed Spike," Dav said, glancing at Giles. "I'm not really sure of the technical jargon. Maybe Rupert can explain."

"We have reason to believe he was injected with Homra blood. They are closely related to the Mohra demon," Giles said. He kept washing the dishes without turning to look at them.

"Which would be great to know if I had any idea what a Mohra demon was," Buffy said.

"Wow, Buff, you must be serious about the no-quip thing. You just pronounced Mohra demon correctly," Xander said

"Yes, well, according to the book of Kelsor, Mohra demon blood has regenerative properties as does the blood of the Homra. Both can heal wounds and bring life back to the recently deceased. Vampires are forever suspended at the instant of death, which is why the blood had its restorative effect on Spike."

"He'll be a regular human being."

"We're still not certain of that," Giles said, wiping his hands on a dish towel and slinging it over his shoulder.

"You mean he won't have a soul?" Buffy asked.

"He'll have a soul. However, we aren't sure what was mixed in the blood."

"Besides liquid smoke," Eddie said.

Buffy cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Okay, Spike's barbecue flavored now, so what?" Buffy asked.

"I guess we'll know when he wakes up," Dav said, patting Buffy's back. Giles began scraping dried batter off of the waffle iron.

"Food and me seem like unmixy things right now." Buffy pushed her plate away. At the same instant, Eddie and Xander reached for the waffle. Eddie rolled his eyes and cut it in two with a butterknife, then flopped half onto Xander's empty dish.

"Would you want an omelet instead?" Dav smiled encouragingly at her.

"No. My stomach's all blah. I just—"

"Want him to wake up again?" Dav asked.

Xander and Eddie stopped eating to look at her with shiny, sympathetic eyes. Seeing the concerned faces of her friends, who'd risked their lives to save her, finally proved too much for Buffy's frayed nerves. She began to cry. A moment later she felt Giles' hand on her shoulder. Her friends enclosed her in their arms; Buffy was the blubbering center of a group hug.

Consequently, none of them noticed that Spike was shuffling across the tiled floor completely naked. He reached the refrigerator, opened the door and took out a plastic tub full of blood. With wobbly hands he tore off the lid and brought the container to his lips.

Everyone turned around in time to see Spike gagging loudly and spitting a mouthful of pig's blood in the sink.

"That's bloody disgusting! It must be off or something," he said, wiping his scowl on the back of his hand. He noticed all five people were staring at him with wide eyes and lips agape. He cocked his head. "What?"

"You're awake. We weren't sure you would and now you're grumpy and saying bloody and you're alive," Buffy said, with a wet laugh.

"Yeah, got that, love," Spike said, the corner of his mouth curling up.

"You're not wearing anything," Dav said.

Spike looked down at himself, confirming that he was nude aside from several bandages stuck to his torso. He lowered the large, plastic cup to cover up his shame.

"Suppose I should do something about that, but it's not like I have anything you lot haven't seen before."

"Actually, you kinda do," Xander said, his gaze stealing downward before bouncing back up to meet Spike's face again.

"Glad you mentioned it, Xan. It would have been sorta gay if I did," Eddie said.

"Alright, enough ogling my dazed boyfriend," Buffy said, almost leaping out of her chair to usher Spike back to the bedroom.

"Boyfriend?" Spike asked, his grin so enormous the back molars showed. She put her arm around his waist.

"Not that I want to have this talk in front of everybody, but since you decided to overshare, why not. Yeah, boyfriend. Is that okay?"

"Yeah," he said, letting her lead him away from the group.

"Dav, do you have any clothes that would fit Spike?" Buffy asked over her shoulder.

"Um, I have a black, plastic garbage bag full of stuff in my closet. There's bound to be something that'll fit. You can figure it out."

"Thank you," Buffy said.


~*~


Buffy went to Dav's closet and dragged the garbage bag out. She rifled through the castoffs, while Spike watched wearing a bemused expression. She held up a faded Cookie Monster baby tee and some yellow stirrup pants.

"What do you think?"

"I think it's cute to watch you amusing yourself."

"C'mon, C is for Cookie. Ooh, and lookie, there's a sundress and some bike shorts. I've always wanted to see you in drag," she said, snatching the items up for his inspection.

"Not my color, love. Are you gonna tell me what the hell's going on?"

"As soon as you get dressed. You look cold," Buffy said, gently.

"I am," he said, with mild surprise as he cocked his head at her.

She picked out a pair of crisp, blue jeans and a black sweater. He dressed quickly, with none of his usual teasing.

"Here, I want to show you something," Buffy said, taking his hand. Spike nodded and together they walked over to the window.

"When the doctors were torturing you, they injected you with some Mohra blood. Do you know what that is?"

"Not a clue."

"It changed you."

"Am I dying, love?"

"No, no, I mean yeah, I guess in the same way we're all dying. You're human now, Spike. It healed you."

He shook his head.

"Impossible."

"I'll show you. Let me pull the curtain back."

She went to part the fabric, but he stayed her hand.

"No."

"Trust me."

They had a stare off until Spike let go of her wrist. She yanked the curtain aside and his spine stiffened as the sun hit his body. When there was no sizzle or smoke, he began to examine his hands as though he'd never seen them before.

"Can hear the thudding in my ears now," he murmured. Buffy touched his chest and he held the flat of her palm over his heart. His other hand drifted through the light while shadows cast by the runes painted on the window skated over its contours.

"How do you feel?"

"I don't know."

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

His eyes had never been more vivid and a goofy smile took over his face.

"We could go to the beach," he said, patting the back of her hand. "Oh, yeah, and you could wear one of those tiny bininis. I'd love to see you in something all skimpy swimming through the surf."

"You've already seen me naked. Why would you want to see me in a bathing suit?"

"It's different in the daylight, isn't it?" he asked, tilting his head at her. That was too much adorable in one place. Buffy launched herself into his arms and kissed his lips. Right away she noticed that he had morning breath and almost laughed. Before his transformation, Spike's kisses always tasted sweet. Halitosis was a side effect of humanity that they don't like to put in the brochure. She wondered how he'd react to the other indignities of being alive. Buffy ended the kiss and he was still smiling.

"Are you really okay with all of this?"

He touched her cheek and she nuzzled into his hand.

"'Spose I have to be. It's permanent, isn't it?"

"We think so. I mean, I guess you could get somebody to vamp you again."

"I don't want that," he said, the giddiness on his face ebbing away.

"Even though I'm stronger than you now?"

"You were always stronger than me."

"It's different now," Buffy said.

"Yeah, it's different, but it's where we are. When I said I'd die for you, I meant it. Just thought it would be in a blaze of glory saving the world, not from a heart attack while I was shoveling the front walk. And yeah, I'll probably miss the dark in ways I can't imagine yet, but I've got the chance to be more than your dog—"

"You were never—"

"I was. I was your pity suck. Even when it changed we could never be anything like equals. Not until now. This is my chance to be my own man."

Buffy dove across the space between them and wrapped her arms around Spike's shoulders. He hugged her back.

"I love you," she whispered.

~*~

After Buffy and Spike left the kitchen, the others settled into an uncomfortable silence.

Xander looked at Dav expectantly as Giles began clearing the table. Rupert reached over her to grab the maple syrup and she looked up at him, but he didn't acknowledge her glance. Dav stood, abandoning the rest of her food. She crossed the floor and began drying the dishes. Xander snatched the remainder of her breakfast. When she smiled at Rupert, his lips quaked for a second before resettling into a blank line. Dav and Rupert continued cleaning without talking.

Finally, Xander spoke.

"Well that left me feeling all kinds of inadequate."

"I'm not sure how to feel, humbled or priveleged," Eddie said, shoving a forkful of waffle into his mouth.

"I've seen bigger," Dav blurted out. She instantly wished she hadn't. Her ex-boyfriend had twisted around in his chair and was looking at her like she'd confessed to killing and eating Santa Claus. Giles had his back to her as he set her flour sifter in the cupboard so she couldn't gauge his reaction. She was thoroughly humiliated anyway.

"Did you have a career in animal husbandry?" Eddie asked.

Dav opened the refrigerator door as much to hide inside as to get some food. She grabbed a bunch of random items.

"Spike's probably hungry. He hasn't eaten in about a hundred years," Dav said.

Giles began whistling "Ziggy Stardust," while he finished putting away the silverware.At least it was some recognition of their night together, but Dav hoped the others wouldn't pick up on his newfound cheeriness. Xander didn't pay attention, but Eddie's eyes expanded to bulging, making Dav wonder what else he'd noticed.

"I'll be in my room, doing...magic," Eddie said, then darted away. Dav hustled out of the room right after him, lugging an armful of sundries.

Dav walked through the open door to see Buffy and Spike holding each other. The redhead looked at the floor.

"Sorry, I can come back later. Just wanted to give you some food."

"That's brilliant, kitten. Come in," Spike said, waving her in as he withdrew from Buffy's embrace. Dav gingerly set her armful of goodies on top of the dresser.

"Um, there's clotted cream and some scones I baked yesterday," she said, then looked skeptically at one of the jars. "Why did I bring pickles?"

Buffy revolved in Spike's arms so she was leaning against him and facing Dav.

"Pickles are yummy. Are there any waffles left?"

"Unfortunately, no. Xan and Eddie are stress eaters. But I do have some chocolate pudding, bottled water and one peach."

"Gimme the peach, sweetheart."

Dav lobbed the fruit to Spike and he caught it easily. When he bit into it, the sensual overload was such that he moaned and closed his eyes. Buffy looked up at him, her mouth trailing open.

"Gah...good?" Buffy asked.

"And I'm suddenly very conscious I shouldn't be watching this. Enjoy the food," Dav said as she retreated a step.

"Stay. Seriously, there's nothing untoward going on. It's all toward," Buffy said.

"Speak for yourself, love," Spike said, shooting a wink at Dav before he took another luxurious bite of the peach. Buffy was eying the juice dripping down his chin like she wanted to lick it off.

"Just remember to change the sheets when you're finished eating," Dav said, then left, closing the door behind her before they could breech further argument. When she turned around, Dav nearly bumped into Rupert. He dipped his chin down when he saw her and had his hands shoved deeply into his pockets.

"Might we talk?" he asked.

"I don't want to disturb anyone," Dav said as she peered down the hallway. Xander was on the couch with his feet up on her ottoman and the remote in his hand. She could hear the television playing quietly. It sounded like he was watching a football game.

"Perhaps we could go in the pantry, then," Rupert said.

She considered him for a moment. Rupert had tense folds around his mouth and a puckered brow. Dav thought he reserved that face for impending apocalypse, so seeing it then didn't bode well for their conversation. However, she'd never been one for living in a state of suspense.

"Sure."

They went into the small closet in her kitchen where she stored her dry groceries. Happily, it was all neatly organized, so at least she didn't have to worry about being embarassed for that reason. She was pretty sure there would be lots of other things to be humiliated about soon enough.There was less than a foot between them and Dav doubted they had space to turn around.

"I should've guessed you would make your own preserves," he said, almost to himself, as he glanced at the wall of jars behind her.

"My mom did most of the work. We can together every year. She has a bunch of plum and cherry trees on her property, so we pick the fruit ourselves."

"That's lovely."

He looked at the floor for a beat.

"Your shirt is ridiculous. I'm sure I can find something better for you," she said, tweaking his top button. He didn't have on an undershirt and she couldn't resist sliding her index finger through the placard to feel his bare skin. He drew in a sharp breath as though her touch had hurt him. Dav pulled away and clasped her hands behind her back.

"What did you want to talk about?" she asked.

He took off his glasses and rubbed them on the hem of his ugly, gold shirt.

"Last night we acted, urm, impetuously. I said some things to you that in the harsh light of morning seem rather inappropriate, especially given the circumstances. I fear I took advantage of you."

"Did you mean them?"

He stopped cleaning for a moment and met her gaze.

"Of course I did."

"It doesn't matter, then. We took advantage of each other."

"Why's that?" he asked. His voice was casual but his eyes crackled with anxiety.

"We should've taken things slow. I just ended things with Xander and honestly, I'm not sure if I love you. It was wrong of me to take advantage of your feelings when I'm so uncertain of mine."

"Well, I shouldn't have pressured you, knowing all you're going through. I thought I'd outgrown impulsive behavior but evidently not when it comes to you. To put it kindly, you make me feel young."

"That's not such a bad thing," Dav said.

"It's quite wonderful, actually." Rupert put his glasses back on and beamed at her. Suddenly, he enfolded Dav in his arms. His hands rubbed her back lightly and she sighed,abandoning herself to the comfort of his body. Dav tilted her head up and gave him a brief peck on the lips.

"We shouldn't do that anymore until everybody's out of the apartment. I don't want to hurt Xander."

"Neither do I. Just one more kiss, then?" he asked, a slinky grin sneaking up his face.

"Okay," she said. He put her soft kiss to shame, taking her mouth with such fervor she could hardly breathe.

"Now you go out first and if anyone sees us you were helping me look for the popcorn," she said, snatching a package from behind his head and shoving it into his hands. Rupert left wearing a smirk. She waited until her legs stopped shaking before she followed him out.


Chapter End Notes:
You probably know "All My Children," was the soap where Sarah Michelle Gellar got her start.

Please let me know what you think, good or bad.