Author's Chapter Notes:
I missed you guys! Okay so in this chapter we see why Buffy and Spike were interrupted. I'm toying with canon a lot, mainly, because ATS was full of holes. It's like someone took a tommy gun to the plot. Hope you guys enjoy and I'll try and get another chapter to you soon.

"What happened?" Buffy asked incredulously.

"You think you're amazed! How do you think I feel? I just got clocked on the coconut by Lenny the copy boy over there, all because somebody didn't replace the toner."

Lorne dabbed at the gash in his head next to one of his red horns which he'd received courtesy of one Wolfram and Hart employee, who'd found that fire extinguishers could be just as useful for beating some consideration into his co-workers as they could for destroying office equipment that wouldn't work.

"So, you called us here because one of your employees is off his rocker? Isn't quite 'the apocalypse is nigh' news I was expecting," Spike said sourly.

Angel glared at him and Spike just glared back. Buffy stepped in to intervene, knowing full well that Spike was still on tenterhooks and more than willing to go a few rounds with anyone if given an excuse. Who was she kidding? He didn't need an excuse. He'd just gotten his body back after wandering the halls of this place with Angel and co, then been interrupted just when Buffy and he had been connecting. Come to think of it, Buffy was itching to get physical herself with all the pent up energy that little rough and tumble had generated.

"He has a point, guys. Not that we don't care, because we do," Buffy rushed to assure Lorne, "we really do. I mean, it's thanks to you we got Spike back and—and well—"

Buffy felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to find Spike looking down at her, the barest smile on his face but a wealth of emotion tumbling in his eyes, and she couldn't keep from smiling back at him, placing her hand atop his. Lorne threw a grin their way, placing the cotton bud back on his injury as he did so. Buffy blushed when she caught his eye and continued.

"Ahem, yeah, so we are concerned, it's just if the world isn't ending it seems like something you could handle without us. Although, you're supposed to be handling that stuff without us anyway, right?"

Oops, where did that come from, Buffy? Guess I'm more annoyed by the interruption than I thought.

"If this was an isolated incident we wouldn't have bothered you," Angel said, coolly. "It's been going on all over the building. So far we've had two deaths and three more seriously wounded."

"People all over the building are going whacko and trying to kill their co-workers?" Buffy asked.

"Maybe you ought to reconsider your benefit plan, Peaches. Do you offer dental? 'Cause with so many fanged creatures around—"

"Now isn't the time for jokes, Spike. This is serious," Angel said, moving away from the broken printer he'd been leaning against and heading out into the corridor.

Buffy, Spike, and Dawn followed. Wesley had gone to the lab with Fred to work on what might be causing the odd phenomena. Lorne stayed behind to nurse his injury, and Gunn was organizing security in the building.

"How do we know it's not just something brought on by working here? Root of all evil and desk jobs? That's twice the evil and none of the fun. All work and no play makes Jack a downright psychotic nut job."

"This place does give off a nasty vibe," Buffy agreed. "Ever since I walked in the door it's been giving me that creepy, foreboding feeling. The sooner we figure this out, the sooner we get to go home. I'd like to spend as little time in Evil Incorporated as possible."

Angel came to a halt and caught Buffy's eye. She stopped too, wondering what was wrong. He was giving her sad puppy eyes of disappointment, and she back tracked her words in her head to figure out what she'd said to upset him.

Oh, right. Evil Incorporated. Angel being the new CEO, I guess he doesn't like to think of it that way now.

"Angel, you can't expect me to be happy that you've taken this job. This place—you've been fighting against this place the entire time you've been in LA. Then you make a deal with the devil, somehow thinking you can do more good from inside the belly of the beast?"

"I'm changing how things are done here. We're changing how things are done. It makes more sense to make gradual changes to the source, to go for the heart, than to keep chopping off the heads of a hydra," Angel argued.

"Are you guys gonna keep using metaphors to make your point?" Dawn asked, observing the pair.

They both gave her a pointed look and she rolled her eyes and folded her arms, waiting for them to finish the argument. Fine, Dawn thought, not like we're in the middle of a crisis or anything here.

"Angel, look around. This place isn't changing. Evil is pouring out of the walls. Now the employees are willing to tear each other to shreds over the smallest things? Is it really so surprising?"

"Why would they want their own employees to kill each other?" Angel pointed out. "That wouldn't make any sense."

"Maybe because it amuses them?" Buffy began.

"SYLVESTER MCCOY!" The name echoed through the air like a battle cry.

"TOM BAKER!" Another name shouted as though meant for war.

They all turned flabbergasted faces to the scene in the lobby as Andrew charged across the room from one end, a Wolfram and Hart employee charging from the other, both with large office staplers in their hands. The astonished group watched as, before their eyes, an epic battle took place like no other. Both the short, rather scrawny men took hold of each other's jackets and shot staples at each other.

"OW! HA! OW! YOWCH! MUAHAHA!"

"Someone please tell me I'm hallucinating, and there isn't a nerd war going on before my eyes, because as far as apocalypses go? This one? So not part of the Slayer gig," Buffy finally managed.

"I would love to tell you that, but I appear to be having the same hallucination," Angel responded.

They watched as security appeared and tackled both screaming men to the ground.

"So now whatever's affecting your employees has Andrew too," Dawn said. "Great."

"Okay, we need to figure out what the hell is going on and how it's getting to people," Buffy said, pulling her eyes away from the odd display and back to the group.

"I'll go find Gunn and we'll meet you at the lab. Wes and Fred will hopefully have some news by now," Angel said, and walked off in search of his friend.

"Just once I'd like things to not fall apart around me," Buffy muttered.

Dawn smirked and patted her sister on the back.

"There, there, sis. Let's just make sure that as soon as this gets resolved we make a run for it."

"Deal," Buffy said then noticed Spike staring at her, a troubled look in his eyes. "Dawn, why don't you go ahead? We'll catch up," Buffy said, keeping her eyes on Spike.

Dawn glanced back and forth between them and nodded. "Sure, I'll umm, go see where they're taking Andrew while I'm at it."

Once Dawn had left, Buffy took hold of one of Spike's hands in hers, taking a step closer. She brought her other hand up to tap his forehead and the small worried frown there.

"Okay, what's up? You look like you want to say something, but you're trying really hard not to."

"You said—'so we can go home.' Just wondering, what we means—and home, and—yeah," Spike said, dropping his gaze to the floor.

Buffy felt another tug at her heart as yet more of Spike's insecurities shone through. Clearly, their moment in the training room wasn't going to be enough to reassure him that Buffy wanted him in her life. It shouldn't be all that surprising really. Spike had spent a long time not being wanted at all, especially here at Wolfram and Hart.

Well then, I'm just going to have to work extra hard to prove he is wanted—needed, and the best way to do that, is by answering some questions. No more beating around the emotional bush.

"Well home is Rome, temporarily at least. Dawn is going to attend school there, and she seems pretty psyched about it. Andrew has also set himself up nicely as a Watcher and head of operations."

Spike raised an eyebrow at that, and Buffy shrugged.

"Hey, we're limited on big players from the Sunnydale fight. Willow is working with the Coven, Giles is head of the new and improved Council of Watchers, Xander is training Slayers in Scotland, and Faith and Wood are taking care of the Hellmouth in Cleveland, hopefully making sure we never go through a repeat of what happened in Sunnydale."

"Bully for them. And Giles is the new big Daddy of Librarians R' Us eh? Gotta say, I never pegged the Whelp for life in Scotland. Didn't demon bird have something to say about that?"

Buffy's face fell suddenly, the painful memory of Anya coming to the fore of her mind. Spike didn't know. How could he?

"Anya—" Buffy closed her eyes briefly and hugged her chest, "Anya didn't make it."

"Oh, luv," Spike reached a hand out to squeeze Buffy's shoulder and she looked up at him, sadly. "I'm sorry, Buffy. I imagine that was hard for you, for Xander."

"Yeah. She saved Andrew's life," Buffy mumbled. "She died a hero."

Spike remained silent, his eyes growing distant, maybe remembering Anya from Sunnydale. It was still hard to believe she was gone, and Buffy had had months of accepting the fact. Spike still had to absorb it, and he'd had a lot in common with Anya. They'd both spent time struggling to be accepted by the Scoobies, to be taken seriously. In the end, they'd both given their lives to save everyone. The only difference was that Spike had another chance. Buffy and Spike had another chance.

"I meant you too," Buffy said, looking up at him.

Spike blinked and came back from his thoughts. He stroked his thumb along the curve where her neck met her shoulder.

"What?"

"When I said we, I meant you too. That is—if you want to. I'm not making you, but it would be nice, if you did come with us, with me."

Spike cupped Buffy's cheek gently and smiled down at her.

"Course I want to. I'd go anywhere with you, long as you want me there."

Buffy wrapped her hands around his waist and stepped into his embrace. Spike held her close, rubbing her back, resting his chin on her head as she snuggled into his chest. Hugging was a new sensation for them still. Buffy intended to get very accustomed to it before long.

"Well, just so there's no more misunderstanding," Buffy said, her voice muffled against his t-shirt, "I'll always want you with me."

Spike's grip on her tightened, and a rumble echoed from his throat. Buffy felt the vibration work its way up from his chest. They stayed like that for a blissful moment, wrapped up in each other, before another angry yell erupted in the lobby followed by a crash and thumping noises.

"Rome, eh?" Spike said, raising his head and relaxing his hold on her.

Buffy brought her hands up to rest against his pecs and leaned back.

"Yeah, but I'd been thinking about joining Xander in Scotland to help out with the Slayer training." She shrugged. "Trying to find a place to call home."

Spike bent down and placed his forehead against hers, and she let her eyes drift closed with a smile.

"Well, I guess we'll figure out where that is together."

Buffy's smile grew wider, and she met his gaze again. He was more confident now, his insecurities banished again. For how long, Buffy couldn't tell, but hopefully she could dispel them all together soon. Her eyes flicked down to his mouth and her breath hitched in her throat. Her tongue darted out to wet her lips, and Spike inhaled sharply, drawing her eyes back up to his. That magnetic pull was there again, pulling them together, the centimeters of space between them shrinking.

"Slayer whore!"

Oh you've got to be kidding me! Buffy thought, unable to prevent herself from turning towards the unexpected distraction. What now?

Harmony stood at the end of the corridor, glaring at them in vamp face. Her fists were balled at her sides and she snarled around her fangs. Buffy and Spike stared at the secretary, baffled.

"Did she just call me a whore?" Buffy asked, incredulously.

Harmony roared and charged at them. Buffy's eyes widened but instinct soon took over. Reluctantly breaking away from Spike, Buffy faced the vampires as she charged. Spike wisely moved back out of range, giving Buffy some space. Buffy waited for her enraged opponent to get within a few feet of her before gracefully whirling in a downward motion, bring her right leg up behind her and around to connect with the side of Harmony's head. Buffy's hair brushed the floor as she continued to turn, completing the movement and straightening back to her original position in time to see Harmony rebound off an office wall and slump to the floor, unconscious.

"Have I mentioned what an absolute vision you are, pet?" Spike asked, from where he was leaning against a wall, arms folded.

Buffy grinned at him. "Not that I can remember, but I expect you to make it up to me."

Spike smirked and fell into step beside Buffy as she started heading for the lab.

"Let's hurry up and get this thing fixed. I don't fancy any more random attacks like that and who knows who's going to end up freaking out next."

"You mean that wasn't just a jealous fit of rage?" Spike asked, pretending to pout.

Buffy gave him a sideways glance and scoffed.

"Someone's back to their cocky selves," she said.

"What can I say, luv? Seeing you birds tangle like that, no matter how brief, was fuel for the fire."

"I strongly suggest you withhold any such fantasies of me and Harmony before I beat them out of you."

"I seem to remember someone hinting at a similar tussle between me and the poof involving oil. Works both ways, missy."

Buffy laughed.

"Well Angel does own body oil—"

"Don't even bloody think about it you evil bint," Spike cut in, giving her a mock glare.

Laughter bubbled out of Buffy at the look on his face. The playfulness between them was lifting a weight from her she felt she'd been carrying ever since the battle with the First. All the time and effort spent planning a war, then dealing with the casualties, her guilt remembering all those who'd died for the cause, all those that couldn't be saved. Then dealing with leaving what had been "home" nothing more than a gaping hole in the ground, the only memorial to their lives and their loved ones with no graves to visit. Planning for the future and what to do next was no picnic either. Watching Spike as he kept his eyes trained on her, walking by her side, always by her side, Buffy couldn't help but feel—

"Spike, look out!"

"Wha—Ow!"

Okay, so while being so focused on her was nice, it would probably prevent accidents if he looked where he was going too. Lost in her own thoughts, Buffy had been unaware of the way Spike was neglecting to move around the pillar he was headed towards. Her warning had come too late, merely succeeding in allowing him to turn his head and smack into the pillar face first, landing in a heap on the floor, clutching his face.

"Are you okay?" Buffy asked, wide-eyed as she knelt next to him and pulled his hand away to inspect the damage, wincing when she saw the trail of blood coming from his nose.

"Bugger. That hurt," Spike said, blinking. "I thought I was done getting popped in the nose around you, Summers."

"Well maybe if you paid attention to where you were going in the building you've been haunting for so long…" Buffy said, raising an eyebrow.

"Exactly. Key word being 'haunting'. Got used to ignoring objects like that. Sort of slipped my mind to keep an eye out for them again, distracted as I was."

Buffy offered a hand which he took, and helped him up. She took hold of his chin and tilted his head up to get a better look, then released him and grabbed his hand again, tugging him back into step with her as they carried on their way.

"Come on, goofball. We'll get to the lab and clean you up while we figure out what's the what."

Spike just grinned staring down at their clasped hands. He entwined his fingers with hers and was rewarded with a tight squeeze.

Ponce. Calm down, Spike berated himself. Just holdin' her hand. You're not some soddin' teenager. Somehow, Spike couldn't bring himself to care.



Chapter End Notes:
The Andrew, random employee battle cries are a reference to the old Dr.Who. I know this was short after the lengthy chapter previously, but I'm setting up the plot of this fic. The not knowing who gets affected by the crazy? Yeah, they don't bleed from their eyes, because I was not a fan of the weird eye make-up on the show.

College is not my friend right now but I'll try to update weekly if not more often. Love you guys!