Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello guys! An update at last! I got very good at distracting myself reading Fan Fiction Friday online and needed to take some time to recover before I was able to write again. I'm going to do my best to work on my fics. All three of them, so it will take time to update each story, but like I said, I'm working on it. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Dawn was already seated in the lab when Buffy and Spike got there, fiddling with a microscope as Fred wandered around the room, glasses on and chewing the end of her pen, a clipboard clutched tightly in her hands. Gunn was standing in a corner with Angel, murmuring something to him about a few incidents he'd had while tightening their security. Wesley was strangely absent, and Buffy figured he was probably looking for some obscure text or something in his office.

A number of Fred's staff hovered about the lab, examining charts and working with the expensive looking equipment. Buffy weaved her way through them, pulling Spike along with her until they reached an empty desk. She spun him around until his legs were backed against a stool then pushed against his shoulders lightly to make him sit. Buffy then went on a quick scavenger hunt for cotton wool swabs and began cleaning up the blood that had trickled from his nose.

Spike couldn't keep the grin off his face as she tended to him, and Buffy was finding it equally hard to contain her smile as she delicately wiped away the red smear, her left hand cupping his cheek, absently stroking it with her thumb. She was intent on her task, and only when she had removed the last spot of red from his skin did she meet his eyes which were so full of adoration and love that she momentarily forgot to breath.

"What happened to you?" Angel asked, suddenly only a few feet away from the pair.

Spike cut in before Buffy had a chance to speak.

"Ran into some more disgruntled employees is all. Any word on what's causing that yet?"

Buffy caught Spike's eye and shared a sideways smirk with him before pulling out another stool for herself, right next to Spike. The gesture put the adoring look back in Spike's eyes, and it only intensified when she slipped her hand back into his and let it rest on his thigh. Spike grinned at her again, giving her hand a small squeeze before tearing his eyes away again. Buffy saw Dawn beaming over at them and gave her younger sister an amused smile in return.

When she turned back to the group, Buffy caught Angel staring at her hand clasped in Spike's, a grim expression on his face and a cold look in his eyes. He noticed her watching him and looked away quickly, diverting his attention back to Fred who was still pacing the room.

"Fred, what have you got for us?"

Fred drew in a long breath and placed her clipboard flat on the desk. She removed her glasses and exhaled before meeting her Boss' eye and answering.

"I got nothin'."

"What?" Angel asked, a frown descending rapidly on his forehead. "You and your team have been working on this since we found out about it, what do you mean you got nothin'? There has to be something."

"I don't know what to tell you." Fred shrugged, brushing her hair behind her ear. "There's no pattern to who's affected by this. One minute they're perfectly fine and the next—it's crazytown. They didn't come into contact with anyone or anything in particular, and it's not spreading in any specific pattern that we can determine. It originated in different places throughout the building—"

"When did it originate?" Angel broke in. "Maybe that can help us. If we know when it started we can try and narrow down the source."

"The first incidents were recorded not too long ago. There were three incidents before Dawn found Lorne and alerted us. Near as I can tell it started happening when we were all—in the lab," she finished, her eyes darting over to Spike.

"When we were watching Spike become corporeal again," Angel said with a sigh.

Everyone turned to look at the blond vampire who frowned at the implication.

"Wait a minute, you're blamin' this on me?"

"It can't just be a coincidence," Angel said coolly, "you come back and people start trying to kill each other. I'd say it points to you being the source of this mess."

"Hold on a second here guys. How exactly would Spike getting his body back have caused this?" Buffy asked, looking to Fred for an explanation. "You think maybe something came back with him?" she asked, remembering the demon that had crossed over with her when Willow had brought her back.

"No, I don't think so. Spike was in the amulet. His essence was trapped inside so it's not like he could have pulled anything over from another dimension—unless, maybe there was something else in there with him." Fred frowned as she tried to come up with an explanation.

Wesley walked in just then, a book in his hands, looking somber.

"Or more likely," he cut in, "it was caused by the amulet itself."

Everyone exchanged glances and turned questioning looks in Wes' direction.

"Huh?" Dawn asked, eloquently.

"We know very little about the amulet's origins or its capabilities. Translations of the texts surrounding it are hazy and obscure at the best of times. Much of what was documented about it was lost. What we do know is that it was involved in a prophecy about an apocalypse—"

"A champion with a soul, it works like a conductor, blah, blah, blah, we know that part, what's this about it causing people to go savage and attack each other?" Spike interrupted.

Wes paused for a moment then cleared his throat before continuing.

"Yes well, there is reference to a cleansing involved, which we can assume is how it was able to harness the power of the sun via your soul to incinerate the First's army and close the Hellmouth, a baptism of fire as it were. It's possible that the amulet's cleansing attributes are what's causing this latest phenomena."

"And just how does wanting to rip your co-worker's throat out count as cleansing?"Gunn asked, skeptically.

"There has to be something therapeutic about bashing someone's head in when you're stuck next to them day in and day out. Monotony drives everyone to breaking point," Spike said, earning a few surprised or annoyed glares from various members of the group.

"No argument here," Buffy said then, drawing all eyes to her next. "What?" she asked, "I've worked as a mindless automaton. There were plenty of days I fantasized about locking Manny the manager in the freezer so he'd chill out a little."

"That's not too far from the mark actually," Wes said, lowering the book in his hand a fraction.

"Now hang on a minute," Angel said, pinching the bridge of his nose in an effort to understand the situation. "If the amulet is supposed to cleanse evil how come it didn't try frying everyone in the building like it did in the Hellmouth?"

"It wasn't required or used in the same way as in the Hellmouth," Wesley explained. "Spike's essence was apparently the only thing holding the crystal together. It was designed to only be used once. Spike's energy trapped within was sustaining it, and when he emerged, the amulet was drained of its power and disintegrated. I believe it was the disintegration that spurred this unexpected side effect. Being destroyed on a site of—well evil, caused the cleansing effects of the amulet to trigger at the moment of its destruction, unfortunately in a negative manner."

"So, amulet goes boom and suddenly anyone in the immediate vicinity who gets even slightly annoyed acts on all their pent up emotions? Violently?" Gunn asked. "Wow, now there's therapy for ya."

"So how do we stop it? I mean the way things are going pretty soon it'll have everyone in the building trying to kill each other," Buffy said.

"Not just the building, Supergirl."

Everyone turned to see a woman in a short red dress enter the room. Buffy took her in carefully, disliking her on sight.

"Eve," Angel said with a sigh of irritation. "You know what's going on?"

"Only what you do," Eve replied, placing her hands on one of the desks and hopping up to perch on the edge, crossing her legs to reveal more of her thighs. "And what the Senior Partners told me of course, which amounts to 'get it fixed now or we've lost the paddles to this canoe we're floating down the rapids in.' This thing is bigger than just one building. If it isn't stopped soon, all of Los Angeles will be affected, and it will only keep spreading."

"So how do we stop it? Did the Senior Partners tell you that?" Dawn cut in.

Eve turned her head to Dawn and smirked at her.

"The Senior Partners want this fixed, kiddo, it is after all affecting their business. Why do you think they sent me here?"

"I'm not a kid," Dawn said, with a growl.

Eve smiled at her and turned back to Angel with a flip of her short hair.

"They aren't very pleased that you started this mess," she said, glancing at Buffy and Spike, "so as soon as it gets cleared up they want your guests to leave," she finished, addressing Angel again.

Buffy bristled at the woman's tone and stood up quickly, disengaging her hand from Spike's and folding her arms.

"Maybe if the Senior Partners had been a little clearer on what the amulet was and how it worked in the first place, we wouldn't even be here," Buffy snapped. "Oh and don't worry about us. We don't plan on sticking around. As soon as this gets fixed and Andrew's back to normal, we're going."

"Hey," Eve said, raising her hands in the air placatingly, "I'm just the messenger. As for stopping it, I believe Wesley was getting to that part, right?" she asked sweetly, turning to the former Watcher.

"Yes, well, that's where things get—interesting," Wesley said, glancing back to the book.

"Define interesting," Angel said, folding his arms suspiciously.

"Well, in order to counteract these negative effects, a re-blessing of the amulet needs to take place in order to purify and dispel the negative energies it released."

"Re-blessing of the amulet?" Spike asked, deadpan. "You mean the amulet that shattered into a thousand tiny shards and had to be swept up in a dustpan?"

"Yes," Wesley answered, looking up.

"Do we even still have the amulet?"Buffy asked.

"Don't worry, Princess. An ancient and powerful artifact like that doesn't just get tossed in the trash around here. Like everything that was of value or use it's been filed away for safekeeping. It'll be in storage," Eve assured them.

"Okay great. So what exactly does re-blessing the amulet entail, and will it work if it's just in itty bitty pieces?" Buffy asked Wesley again, preferring to ignore Eve, whom she was beginning to dislike even more.

"Well that's where the interesting part comes in. It seems there is a prophecy regarding the purification of a tool of light, which I think it's safe to assume is the amulet."

"A prophecy," Angel, Buffy, and Spike said simultaneously, sighing and rolling their eyes.

Wesley paused to observe the trio with amusement before bending his head back to the text. He knew they wouldn't be pleased with this news.

"Tainted by the forces which it was created to expel, the instrument must be taken to where the angels weep. Once there, the Champion shall begin the ritual of purification."

"The Champion?" Angel asked. "I suppose it's not clear on who exactly that Champion is?"

"There are a few of us in the running," Buffy added.

Wesley frowned as he flipped the page and glanced back up. "Well, it isn't very specific—"

"Of course not," Angel interrupted, stalking off to a far corner in irritation.

"But," Wes continued, "I think we can rule out the Slayer."

"Huh?" Buffy asked. "We can rule me out? Yay," she said happily, then caught the eyes of both vampires and shrugged sheepishly. "Or not yay. Sorry, it's just, you know, prophecy, Slayer, usually I'm caught in the middle of this stuff. Umm, Wes, you were saying?"

"Ah, yes, well. It would seem that to cleanse the amulet, it must be symbolic of another cleansing, that of a demon." Wesley found the passage alluding to the cleansing and read aloud. "Seeking order or balance, the Champion must choose life eternal or brief. Cleansing the demon releases the soul, drawing light from darkness and ushering in the Final Cleansing. A sacrifice, uniting the blood of the demon with the will of the soul, light and darkness joined as one, opens the gates to the Restoration of All Balance. Until the choice be made, chaos shall tear the world to ruins." Wesley finished reading and faced his audience again.

"I don't think I like that the sound of that," Buffy said.

"Maybe you could explain what exactly that means in English, Wes," Gunn added.

"A ritual must be performed by a vampire with a soul to cleanse the amulet," Wes explained. "However, it would seem there is a catch or rather a choice involved."

"Let me guess, one choice is good for the vamp and bad for everyone else, and the other is bad for the vamp but good for everyone else, right?" Spike asked, looking grim.

"Well it would seem that's a matter of perspective," Wesley answered, carefully.

"Do tell," Angel put in, cocking his head as he waited for Wes to elaborate.

"It appears that the purification ritual can be performed two ways. One way involves cleansing the demon completely, freeing the Champion's soul and making him mortal—hence a life brief."

There was absolute silence in the lab as everyone took in that information. Angel and Spike eyed each other warily. Gunn was the one to whisper the word, "Shanshu."

"It would seem that would be the outcome, yes, "Wesley answered, quietly.

"But?" Angel asked, lowering his eyes to the floor.

"But," Wesley hesitated, then continued, "that would bring about this Final Cleansing, which, if we take into account the amulet's previous use, means that it will erase all evil in the nearby vicinity, effectively killing every demon in range and more than likely reducing the city to rubble."

No one spoke. Everyone was caught up in their own thoughts, whether it was the LA crew considering what would happen to their city or the Sunnydale group remembering the loss of their home. Wesley cleared his throat again and explained the other option available to them.

"The other choice involves a change in the ritual. Instead of cleansing the demon completely, the Champion willingly sacrifices his blood to restore the amulet and reverse its effects, restoring balance and returning things to the way they were. However, this involves uniting the demon and the soul—binding them forever. Life eternal."

"Gotta love those life altering decisions the Powers keep asking me to make," Angel muttered.

"And who says it's you that's involved in this bleedin' prophecy?" Spike asked, standing. "Considering how eager you were to not get involved with the amulet during the last apocalypse, I'd say my previous history makes me the likely candidate, now doesn't it?"

"You really think this is about you? Popping out of that thing is what started this mess," Angel argued, facing up to Spike.

"Oh right, and just because you're supposed to be the great hero around here, I get ruled out, is that it? Champion, Peaches. I am one now, and that doesn't change because you don't like it. We both know exactly what this is about," Spike argued, stepping closer to Angel.

"And what's that, Spike?" Angel asked, venomously, glaring down at his grandchilde, now only inches separating them.

"It's about you becoming a real boy again, even if it means destroying this city," Spike said clearly, keeping his voice low and serious.

Angel's jaw was locked as he glared down at Spike, his hands balled into fists at his side. The lab had gone so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Fred's assistants were all watching the showdown between the vampires. Buffy intervened, pushing them apart and glaring at both of them.

"What the hell are you both talking about?" she demanded.

Spike and Angel continued to glare at each other until Buffy shook them both a little. Spike sighed and slipped his hands into his duster pockets, looking away.

"The Shanshu prophecy," he muttered. "All about a vampire with a soul, surprised he didn't mention it to you already."

"What? There's a prophecy? What prophecy? Why didn't you tell me there was a prophecy?" Buffy said, whipping her head from side to side at both vampires until she settled on Angel. "What prophecy, Angel?"

Angel grimaced, and looked at the ceiling. He still refused to look at her when he explained.

"The Shanshu prophecy says a vampire with a soul will play a pivotal role in the apocalypse and his reward will be to live again in mortal form." Angel finally met her eyes, his anger at Spike gone, replaced with weariness. "I didn't tell you because I didn't really see it as an option. Redemption—isn't an easy road, and that reward just seems like a little too much to hope for. So no, Spike, this isn't about that," Angel said, turning back to the other vampire. "I learned a long time ago nothing is as simple as it seems."

"Because destroying all of L.A. to erase evil and become human is so simple," Spike mocked.

Angel growled and made a move to attack Spike but Buffy halted him with a hand on his chest.

"Okay, you two settle down now. We need to think about this. Wesley," she looked over her shoulder at the former Watcher, "explain more. What's the ritual this Champion has to perform and where is the place where angels—cry?"

"Weep," Dawn corrected.

"Right, that," Buffy said, nodding. "Where exactly is that?"

"Since it is a purification ritual to negate the effects Wolfram and Hart has had on the amulet, I would say it refers to hallowed ground—a church or cemetery of some kind perhaps," Wes said. "I can find out where exactly if you'll give me a few minutes."

"Fine," Angel said, "Wes go figure out where this hallowed place is, Fred, dig up those amulet pieces, everyone else, my office. We can work out what to do here while I'm—" Spike growled and Angel rolled his eyes, "while we're working on the purification ritual."

"Better work fast, kids. This place is coming apart at the seams and you heard what Wesley said, chaos shall tear the Earth to ruins until you stop it," Eve said, sliding off the desk and smoothing her dress.

"I'm not a kid!" Dawn screeched.

Everyone turned to the teenager just in time to see her grab the microscope she'd been toying with and slam it against Eve's head. Eve dropped to the floor in a heap and Dawn stood over her panting, raising the microscope again. Buffy snapped out of her shock and tackled her younger sister to the ground, wrestling the microscope out of her hands and pinning her down.

"Dawn! Dawn, stop it!"

Angel and Wesley dropped down next to Eve to check on her while Spike went to aid Buffy, restraining Dawn and exchanging a worried glance with the Slayer. Fred appeared next to the struggling teenager with a syringe.

"What is that?" Buffy asked, eyeing the needle, warily.

"A sedative to calm her down. It won't hurt her, I promise," Fred said, rolling up one of Dawn's sleeves.

Buffy helped keep Dawn's arm steady and watched as Fred injected the sedative. Dawn slowly began to stop struggling, whimpering instead, and Buffy relaxed her hold, brushing Dawn's hair out of her face, soothing her.

"I'm so sorry, Dawnie. It'll be okay, I promise. We'll fix this."

Buffy met Spike's gaze as she comforted her sister. He looked as worried as she felt.

"Eve's alive, but unconscious, she'll need medical attention. Wes, we need that location now," Angel said, rising from his spot on the floor next to Eve. "I'm sorry, Buffy," he said, walking over to the Slayer and Spike and glancing down at Dawn. "We'll take care of her."

"This has to stop," Buffy said, caressing her sister's cheek. "This has to stop now."



Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to all of you who read and review this story. It's what keeps me going and ensures that I don't allow myself to get too distracted by other stuff, knowing you're all waiting to find out what happens next. I'll get cracking on the next chapter for you guys as soon as I can.