Chapter 2: Addicted

After her shower Buffy finally was able to fall asleep without Spike plaguing her thoughts, she wasn’t however able to keep him out of her dreams. All through her daytime nap she fantasized of an evening where Spike kidnapped her from a Scooby meeting, grabbed her in the basement of the Magic box and dragged her into the cool calming shadows. He held her hostage in his crypt where she again found herself wrapped in his naked embrace and letting him do unspeakable things to her, letting him take her pain away.

Now as she makes her way down the stairs fully dressed and ready to patrol images of those dreams float through her mind. Images of the things he did, how he made her feel. She can almost still feel the cool kisses along her collar bone; almost feel his chilling fingers trailing down her side…

“Hey Buff,” Dawn says as she comes to the end of the stairs and the Slayer is snapped out of her thoughts. “You feeling better, you slept all day.” She stands waiting at the end of their stairs, her fingers fidgeting at her sides. Buffy can tell she’s starved for attention. She’d been starving all summer for someone to look after her like a mother, like a sister, and then was left disappointed with Buffy’s return.

“Yeah, all better now.”

“Good,” Dawn says with a little smile then awkwardly shifts her weight from one hip to the other. “Oh, uh, there’s mail on the kitchen counter.” Great, probably more bills I can’t pay Buffy thinks.

“Thanks, I’ll look at it later.”

“Are you patrolling right now? The sun just set, I thought we could, I don’t know have a sister-night or something.” Dawn looks so hopeful, but Buffy barely notices.

“Yeah I am, but um… I just wanna do a quick sweep,” So that I can avoid Spike, Buffy thinks. “So I’ll be home early.”

“Oh, okay cool, well I’ll look for a movie or something,” Dawn says and her face lights up. “You feeling a laugh til my abs hurt comedy or an I’ve seen things more bloody in real life slasher flick?”

“You pick,” Buffy replies with an apathetic tone then walks toward the door.

“Ok cool,” Dawn squeals, “I’ll make popcorn and everything!” Buffy smiles at her sister’s enthusiasm which she does not share. Dawn’s only trying to do her part to bring Buffy back into the life of the living and Buffy can’t blame her for that. “Be safe patrolling!” Dawn yells as Buffy steps out the door.

“I will,” She yells back and disappears into the night.

--

The first three cemeteries that Buffy ventured through were void of any activity and as she travels toward the fourth and final cemetery on her list for the night she’s feeling restless for not coming across a fight yet. She wishes for a distraction to take her mind away from its constant wandering to Spike and their night in the abandoned building, but so far her wish remains un-granted.

Buffy’s final destination is Renshaw Cemetery, the farthest cemetery from Spike’s crypt and she prays that she’ll find some action here of the non-Spike involving variety. The Slayer knows that she’ll eventually run into the blonde vampire, she’s just not quite ready to run into him now. Not quite ready to confront her mistake. She’s not ready to confront what it means that the only time she’s felt anything since she’s been back was when she was with him. As Buffy walks down the empty and poorly lit sidewalk however, she finds that she may have to get ready. She can feel that she’s no longer alone. The familiar tingle runs up her spine, cool, dangerous and thrilling.

Spike moves in the shadows behind Buffy following her, stalking her. He’s run through thousands of conversations in his head since spotting her. He’s thought over thousands of ways to bring up their night of passion. Thoughts of confronting her with anger from rushing out on him, to bringing her flowers, and writing her poetry all floated through his mind as options; still though he finds himself unable to locate the right words to confront her with. He knows she feels him now though, he had followed her undetected for some time, but as he listens to her heart rate pick up and sees her hand coil tighter around the stake she grasps he knows that she feels him.

Buffy stops and Spike stops behind her, with a flip of her hair Buffy twists around to face him; an indifferent look across her features.

“What do you want Spike?” Buffy asks as if nothing had ever transpired between them more than their average banter.

“We need to talk,” Spike says.

“We have nothing to talk about,” Buffy says flatly and the muscles in Spike’s jaw flex as he grates his teeth.

“So that’s the story now, just gonna pretend like the other night didn’t happen.”

“That’s the plan,” Buffy says as she turns from Spike and continues walking. He catches up to her.

“Will you quit bloody lying to yourself.” Buffy glares at Spike shooting daggers at him with her eyes. “You felt something last night.”

“Not love,” Buffy replies and finds herself wondering why she didn’t deny his allegation straight out. He was right, she did feel something, but admitting that is not helping anything.

“Not yet. But I'm in your system now. You're gonna crave me, like I crave blood.”

“Spike, last night ... was the most perverse ... degrading experience of my life.” Buffy thinks about how her friends would look at her if they knew and she feels disgusted.

“Yeah, mine too,” Spike says fondly and smiles at Buffy evoking a look of revulsion from her, she’s annoyed with him.

“That might be how you get off, but it's not my style.” A smirk creeps across Spike’s face.

“No, it's your bloody calling, gave me a run for my money, Slayer.”

“Spike, just stop, last night was… it was a freak-show,” freak-show, that’s what Angel had called their relationship when he broke up with her, and now she’s throwing it at Spike. Angel had wanted her to have a normal life, a normal boyfriend, told her she should find someone who could take her into the light, make love to, give her children, great job she’s doing at that Buffy thinks. She feels angry now, angry at Angel for how he treated her, angry with herself for how she’s doing the same to Spike, angry at Spike for how he’s made her feel. Disgusted, annoyed, angry, blissful, comforted, released; all of them feelings, caused by him.

“… it will never happen ag…” A loud shrieking scream is heard in the distance and Buffy’s thoughts end as she takes off in the direction of the sound with Spike following close behind.

--

Buffy bursts through the gates of Renshaw Cemetery and sees a rustling among the bushes up ahead. She takes off leaping over headstones and chasing after the unknown assailant with more speed then she would normally put into such a chase. Partly she wants to run away from Spike, away from whatever responsibility she now owes him, even if that’s nothing more than an explanation of why she changed the rules in the middle of a fight. Luckily as Buffy comes across the attacker in question she sees that she will have something to distract her, at least for a short while.

Buffy looks on at the two large scaly demons hovering over a young girl; Spike comes up beside her just as she storms toward the first black scaly demon who’s reaching toward the young dark haired girl. The demon turns to her as she approaches and the girl takes off.

Spike looks on for a moment as the Slayer ducks a blow from the strange demon; it’s species he does not recognize, just large, scaly, and dumb. He smiles watching her take hold of the situation and knock the demon to the ground, but large, scaly, and dumb isn’t quite as dumb as Spike first thought for he manages to kick the Slayer’s legs out from under her. Spike sees the other demon nearing her and steps in.

Slayer and vampire fight against the demons dodging blows and dancing around kicks. The excitement of the fight makes both of them feel alive. They’re strong beasts, but not very skilled and while it takes a lot of energy for both Buffy and Spike to take them on the fight doesn’t last long. Buffy snaps the neck of the demon she’s fighting just as Spike stomps on the head of his demon. Both creatures collapse on the ground and the Slayer stands panting for a moment. After all that she feels like she took the demon out too soon, she should have drawn the fight out longer, made it a worthwhile use of her energy and a useful event in reducing her frustration. She didn’t though, and now it’s over, and her body is still charged with exhilaration and tingling with excitement; but slowly that’s turning into a frustrated buildup of tension from lack of release. Her eyes flutter to meet Spike’s. He locks his gaze on her and stalks over to stand before her.

Invading her personal space Spike is mere inches from Buffy but she doesn’t step back. She thinks about saying something witty, thinks about what comment she’ll respond with when he speaks first and brings up the other night again, but as Spike opens his mouth it quickly becomes clear that he doesn’t want to talk anymore.

Spike grabs Buffy roughly by the arms and pulls her to him smashing his lips against hers. Within seconds all her senses are shutting down, all thoughts disappear; all that Buffy can focus on is his lips and the way they move with hers. She should have figured that if she wouldn’t listen to him that he’d just show her what he meant. He’d always been more of a hands on kind of guy, and right now his hands are on her, pulling her closer, running up the back of her shirt.

Buffy pulls away to catch her breath and can feel her body throbbing for more, when her eyes meet Spike’s again however he’s grabbed her by the wrist and is pulling her farther into the cemetery. She thinks about asking him where he’s taking her but her mind is still rather fuzzy.

Spike pushes open the door to a crypt and pulls Buffy in. Once inside he thrusts her up against said door shutting it with her body and quickly brings his lips back to hers. This is wrong Buffy thinks, but it feels so good. His lips move to her neck and Buffy gasps. Her hands seem to be moving on their own accord traveling up the back of his shirt tracing his muscles and it doesn’t take long for things to get deep, for the both of them to be completely consumed by their passion.

He lifts her up and she twists her legs around his hips locking them behind his back. The Slayer’s small yet powerful hands push frantically at his leather coat while he continues to suck at her already bruised and tender neck. Spike shakes out of his coat and it falls to the floor with a thud, at the same time his own hands are tugging at the fabric of Buffy’s shirt and she raises her arms to allow him to pull it off.

Buffy practically tears at Spike’s shirt as she yanks it over his head. The other night undressing had come somewhere between the first and… well, but now it feels like the time it’s taking them to get undressed is forever long.

Spike twists with Buffy in his arms pulling her away from the door he had her pushed against and lies down with her beneath him on the floor, his leather duster the only thing between her bare back and the cement. Why the Slayer hadn’t worn a bra to patrol Spike doesn’t know, but he thanks the Gods for such small miracles as he looks her over taking in the sight of every one of her curves.

Buffy is breathing deep and heavy when Spike moves his attention to her neck and begins trailing butterfly kisses down her body, his fingers trailing down her sides. She gasps as he reaches her stomach, his cool lips pressing against her fevered skin, and then the next thing she knows he’s gotten her jeans undone and is pulling them past her ankles. Kicking her pants the rest of the way off Buffy twists her fingers in Spike’s hair while his mouth continues to kiss and do things to her skin making her feel a way that she never thought she’d come close to feeling after being brought back from the dead, feel a way she didn’t even know was possible to feel. With need she pulls him back up to her and as his lips meet hers in a hungry kiss her hands move yet again on their own accord to his jeans. The button and fly of which easily come undone.

All Buffy’s earlier thoughts of their previous encounter being wrong, all feelings of guilt and disgust with herself are gone, just as all her pain and hatred and depression have disappeared. As she grips his shoulders, as her hands rake along his back, as he moves with her Buffy knows that Spike was right about one thing. He is in her system now, and although she knows she doesn’t love him, and maybe never will, maybe will never be capable of loving again; she will crave him. She’ll crave his touch and his kiss, crave him and need him like nothing she’s ever needed before because being with Spike is like being in the eye of the storm. It’s the only place her mind not only feels pleasure but feels peace and calm. For everything spiraling around in her life, everything else; friends, family, work, it’s all a turbulent tornado trying to rip her apart.