Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you Sanity Fair for your wonderful help!
Chapter 18

William found Buffy sleeping on the couch when he arrived home. He made his way over to her quietly, grabbing the blanket off the back of the couch and placing it over her small frame. She was too thin; there had to be something he could do about that. Snapping out of his thoughts, he reached for the remote on the coffee table, shutting off the TV then making his way to the fireplace and began to start a fire yet, despite all this, Buffy remained unaware of his presence.

Half an hour later, he was cooking dinner when he heard a commotion in the living room. Xander and Anya were back. Worried that Buffy would wake; he walked over to them and made a shushing motion while pointing at the sleeping woman.

“Too late.” Buffy sat up, rubbed her eyes and was about to pat down her hair when she remembered that there was nothing there. Instead, she awkwardly placed her hands under her thighs on the couch.

“I’m sorry, Buff. We didn’t mean to wake you,” Xander apologized.

Still upset at him for showing up unannounced, Buffy shrugged her shoulders unwilling to speak to him.

“But since you’re awake, we can tell you our news! Sit down, Will.” Anya took William by the hand and pushed him toward the couch.

Giving Xander a knowing look William sat next to Buffy and was taken aback when her hand automatically found his. Just as surprised by her gesture, Xander shot William a congratulatory nod.

“So what’s the news, guys?” William attempted to sound curious for Anya’s benefit, even though he knew and could see the ruby on her ring finger.

“Xander and I are engaged!” she practically screamed.

“Congratulations!” William stood and hugged the woman, who was jumping up and down in her excitement.

“What?"

All eyes turned to Buffy.

“We’re engaged, Buff.” Xander walked over to his best friend and sat next to her. “Isn’t that great?”

She gaped at him for a few seconds before she was able to get a hold of herself.

“Yes, great. That’s wonderful, Xander. Congratulations.”

Her tone was flat, and her face lacked the smile he was hoping for as she gave him a hug.

Xander tried to ignore her token words and returned her hug making sure not to squeeze too hard. He could see how thin she had become and was saddened by how weak her hold on him was. After a minute she pulled away in order to stand up to walk over to Anya. Giving the girl an awkward hug she said,

“Congratulations, Anya.” Buffy took a step back from her to face William and Xander. “I hate to be a party pooper, but I’m not feeling so hot right now. I’m going up to my room to lie down.”

“Yes, of course. We understand completely,” Anya answered for the group. William gave her a smile happy to see her trying to be supportive.

He didn’t miss how Buffy’s eyes were shinning or the way she was struggling to keep her lower lip from quivering. He took her hand before she could run away.

“Everything okay, pet?”

She only nodded in response.

“Feel better,” he told her. “I’ll be up in a bit to check on you.”

She nodded again this time leaning over and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. William smiled at her giving her hand a squeeze before letting go his eyes following her as she made her way up the stairs.

“Well, looks like things are looking up.” Xander slapped his friend on the back once he knew Buffy was out of earshot.

“Things are improving. We’re taking it slow.” William couldn’t help but smile as he remembered his and Buffy’s conversation that morning.

“I really am happy for you, Will. Just promise you’ll be careful. Stick to slow.” William looked over to Anya surprised to see that she was being sincere. She truly did want him to be happy even if it was with someone she wasn’t particularly fond of.

“Thanks, Ahn. But this isn’t about Buffy and me. It’s about you guys. Congratulations!”

Xander and Anya migrated toward each other, and Xander placed his arm around her shoulders.

“How about we celebrate?”

William looked upstairs and shook his head.

“Can’t tonight, guys. How ‘bout tomorrow? Maybe Buffy will be feeling better by then, and we can all go out an’ have a night on the town.”

The couple followed his line of sight then looked back to him and nodded.

“Okay.” It was Anya who agreed. Looking at Xander she said, “Let’s you and I go out and celebrate then. I can’t sit at home tonight. I’m too excited.”

“Sounds good to me. Where do you want to go?”

“There’s a nice seafood restaurant downtown. It’s right by the water. You should go there.” William had seen the restaurant the day he had bumped into Buffy at the park. He’d thought it looked fancy enough for a celebratory dinner.

Xander nodded. “Yeah, let’s do that.”

“I’m going to go shower and get ready.” Anya gave another little jump and made her way up the stairs.

“What?” William noticed Xander looking at him as if he wanted to say something.

“You sure you’re okay to go out tomorrow?”

“Yeah. Why wouldn’t I be?” It took William a minute to finally understand what Xander was asking. When his friend gave him a pointed look he got it. “Oh, you mean cause of the alcohol. Yeah, I’ll be fine. Been going to meetings regularly. It’s only one night, won’t make a habit out of it.”

Xander’s face remained serious, and he lifted his eyebrow as though doubting William’s assurances.

“I won’t drink, mate! It’ll only be bottled water for me.”
Xander nodded, seemingly satisfied for the moment.

“How are you handling things with Buffy?”

“Good. Told you, we’re taking things slow.” William walked over to the couch and sat down, placing his legs on the coffee table.

Xander followed, sitting on the couch next to William. “That’s not what I meant. She looks really sick, Will. How are you handling that? It’s got to be freaking you out.”

William knew what Xander was asking. Was the stress of Buffy’s illness making him want to go out and get blotto.

“Not gonna lie. I’m scared, an’ yeah sometimes I could use my ol’ friend Jack.” William looked up at his friend. “But I’m not stupid. Won’t muck things up again.”
Xander saw fear in his friend’s tumultuous blue eyes and was glad to have come, realizing that Buffy wasn’t the only one who needed him.

“It’s that bad?”

“Not my place to say, Xand.”

Xander nodded. They’d had this conversation earlier. He wondered when he would be able to sit Buffy down and really talk to her the way they had before things got bad. Before her mom died, and she retreated into herself.

“Xander, aren’t you going to shower?” Anya’s voice from above broke him from his thoughts.

“Well, that’s my cue. You gonna be alright?” Xander asked, standing up from the couch.

“Yeah, just going to watch the telly an’ then get some kip.”

Xander rolled his eyes “How long have you lived in America now, Will?” Xander laughed at William’s glare, and then made his way up the stairs.


William found himself roused from sleep by the ringing of his cell phone. Sitting up, he rubbed his eyes so he could read the clock. Midnight. He must have fallen asleep watching a movie. When the phone didn’t stop ringing he answered it without looking at the caller ID.

“Lo?” His voice was rough from sleep.

“Aren’t you coming to bed?” She sounded tired. Had she been waiting up for him?

“Must’ve fallen asleep down here. Be up in a bit.” He felt a surge of happiness flow through him. It hadn’t been a one-time thing. She wanted him next to her again.

“’Kay. Don’t be too long. It’s lonely up here.”

He stared unbelievingly at the phone after she hung up. What had just happened? She wanted him in her bed two nights in a row? So last night had not been a fluke. This morning’s conversation had indeed happened. It wasn’t something he dreamed up. He wasn’t delusional. He knew it wouldn’t be smooth sailing from here on out, but this was a major step for them, and he couldn’t help feeling proud of how far he’d gotten.

**********************************************************

She was half asleep when he made it up to the bedroom. Sitting down on the bed he unlaced his boots then stood up to remove his shirt.

“I forgot how good looking you are.” She was sitting up in bed now, a smile playing on her lips.

“Thanks.” He didn’t know how to take the compliment; things were still a bit awkward between them.

He stood up, removing the cover from his side of the bed making to get in he stopped when he felt her hand on his shoulder.

“You don’t have to sleep in your jeans.”
She shrugged when his left eyebrow rose as if to question her.

“I’m just saying — you should be comfortable.”

He nodded and took off his jeans slipping next to her in bed in nothing more than a pair of boxers. She scooted over to him placing her head on his chest. He placed his arm over her waist shifting to the side in order to make her more comfortable.

“You ready for Tara tomorrow?” he asked, ignoring the warmth that ran over him at the feel of her body against his.

“Yeah.” In usual Buffy fashion she wasn’t being very forthcoming with her feelings.

“You want me to go with you?”

“No. I think I’ll be fine. She’s really nice.” She let out a loud yawn making him wonder if this was her way of getting out of discussing emotions.

“Get some sleep, love.” He relented knowing that tomorrow would give her the chance to talk to someone about what was going on inside her head.

“Okay. Good night, Will.”

He kissed her forehead and allowed her to fall asleep on him enjoying the feel of her breathing on his chest. A few months ago lying in bed with her would have been something that seemed impossible. Things were coming along.


Chapter End Notes:
I only got one review on the last chapter :(
Thanks Behind Blue Eyes for your review.